Live from the Eurodam - 7/16-7/23 Alaskan Explorer

Brentt_M

I am kicking this report off while we sit at the Kansas City airport waiting to board our Alaska Air flight to Seattle.

This trip will be a multi-generational group and we are celebrating a few different milestones with it. My mom turns 60 on 7/16, I turned 40 a bit earlier this year and my daughter graduated high school in May. My mom and her partner (60s), Me and my GF (40s) and my 2 kids (18 &13) make up the group.

1152879617_Screenshot_20220714-132141_SamsungNotes.thumb.jpg.bbde6dd5ab6e45d7c2b32cfd336a9b75.jpg

Some of you may have read my report from the 2nd Alskan cruise after start up last year and if so you may remember that my wife passed away on a cruise ship in March of 2020.  Well after 2 years I have started seeing someone and this will be the 1st big trip with her so we will see how it goes!

Since we are celebrating on this trip we have booked a Pinnacle Suite and Neptune Suite for our group and we are ready to be spoiled! We have a private whale watching excursion planned in Juneau with Jayleen and the ZipRider planned in Icy Strait.  No formal plans expect exploring on our own in Sitka and we will probably hit the lumberjack show and definitely creek street in Ketchikan. As for Victoria we will see how we are feeling when we get there.

It is my mom and her partner's 1st cruise and only 2nd time they have ever flown so this should be interesting.

In Seattle we (me, gf, kids) will be staying at the Mayflower Park hotel and my mom will be at the Inn at the Market.  We plan on not doing anything tonight when we get in, but will explore Seattle a bit tomorrow.

Assuming the internet cooperates I plan on posting multiple times per day with updates.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

First post and this cruise will be my first as well.  I'll be flying tomorrow and staying in the Mayflower Park Friday night.  Planned on Ubering it from SEA to the hotel and then from the hotel to the port Saturday morning - unless you have another suggestion.

Born, raised and went to college in Kansas too, but am in the DC area now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, roryjames said:

First post and this cruise will be my first as well.  I'll be flying tomorrow and staying in the Mayflower Park Friday night.  Planned on Ubering it from SEA to the hotel and then from the hotel to the port Saturday morning - unless you have another suggestion.

Born, raised and went to college in Kansas too, but am in the DC area now.

I usually just uber it.  I know there is a light rail station near the hotel and some people like to use it to get there from the airport.

• Like 1

I loved your last reviews so am looking forward to following along.  Your family is getting a pretty terrific first look at cruising!  (I remember the kids were with you on one trip earlier though.  Lucky them!)  Have a wonderful time.

~Nancy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oakridger said:

I loved your last reviews so am looking forward to following along.  Your family is getting a pretty terrific first look at cruising!  (I remember the kids were with you on one trip earlier though.  Lucky them!)  Have a wonderful time.

~Nancy

Glad you enjoyed it. It will be my kid's  3rd time to Alaska on HAL. They love it just as much as me.

• Like 2

I love the Mayflower Park Hotel - we were even upgraded upon arrival. Their staff are really great. Enjoyed Oliver’s for a cocktail and the restaurant for dinner & breakfast. I hope your stay is as good as ours was pre-cruise in May

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, westcoastsue said:

I love the Mayflower Park Hotel - we were even upgraded upon arrival. Their staff are really great. Enjoyed Oliver’s for a cocktail and the restaurant for dinner & breakfast. I hope your stay is as good as ours was pre-cruise in May

It's our third time staying here and you are absolutely right about their staff.  They have been amazing every time. We will probably be visiting Oliver's tonight.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Very nice!  Here's a question Brentt_M.  If one were sitting in the balcony hot tub can the other cabins or the bridge see you?  I really enjoy a hot tub au natural!!  😁

I would say it looks like once in it you would be ok, but getting in or out there would be some cabin's that could see.

• Like 1

Ha ha.  Thanks for the reconnaissance.....not that I'm likely to ever be in the Pinnacle Suite to worry about it!! 

The first-time cruisers in your group must be really impressed! If you get a chance while passing by a "regular Verandah cabin" with them, be sure to have them look in so they can really appreciate the fantastic cabins they are in!   Have a blast! 

• Like 1