1st time on Princess - embarkation on Ruby SF - Alaska 7/19/22 advice needed

zentraveler

New to Princess. We  live in SF and embark on 7/19 on the Ruby.  Would love some advice: 

• We don't embark until 12:30-1 pm (previous morning commitments and it is only a quick ride to Port 27). Will there be anywhere to eat lunch? Which dining areas?
  • I don't get a feeling embarking is going to go easily or quickly despite the face that we are labeled "green" lane. Will it be any better after the early rush?
  • I booked us a regular DR time at 5 pm (trying to avoid the crowds) in Botacelli but am realizing we don't want that the first night (late lunch, going out under the GG bridge etc. even though we see it all the time). I can't imagine either of the specialty restaurants have later reservation and we don't especially want that anyway. Cancel the one we have - and how? Show up someplace that is more walk-in - where?
  • Any other tips for a first timer getting settled in? 

Thanks!

We left out of SF on the Ruby in May. We were in the first embarkation group so I can’t speak to getting on later, but the line moved fast, and it was well organized. The DaVinci dining room will be open for lunch. There is also the Horizon Court, International Cafe, Salty Dog Grill, and Slice Pizza. All of these are walk ups…and no extra charge. Enjoy your cruise. The Ruby staff is great!

• Thanks 1

Regarding first night dinner:  you can - and should as a courtesy - cancel your evening reservation via the Dine My Way function on the App.  You can do a walk up in any of the open dining rooms instead. Just realize that you may need to wait in line if you go at a popular time.  Alternatively, you can eat in the Horizon Court buffet.

And to add to travellingnana's post:  embarkation lunch is served from noon to 1:30 and is a lovely way to start a cruise.

• Thanks 1

We had cancelled our reservation for one night and found out that we were cancelled for the rest of the cruise - Do not cancel - just go where ever you want and show the the next night.

waiting outside the port 27 to  get inside the building - we were in line for over an hour.  Very slow checking people in - hopefully they have hired more people.

You will love this cruise - Alaska is beautiful

• Thanks 1

I've said this already in several other threads, so anybody who's seen my rant about the Botticelli dining room should skip this. 😃

We booked the Botticelli dining room for our cruise on the Ruby last Fall. Same 5:00 time as you've booked. Never again. The waiting area outside the dining room is small. Many, many people had also booked 5:00, so it was very crowded. Very, very crowded, and that was the case for every night. First night, we got a really great table for two and really great waitstaff, so we asked our waiter if we could be assigned to that table for the remainder of the cruise. He checked and told us it was done. But we still had to tuck into the line that snaked back and forth in that way too small waiting area. There was a Princess employee, who we dubbed "The Line Wrangler", who herded everybody into the line and kept some kind of order. We agreed that he had a worst job on the ship and that he was doing the best he could. But he wasn't letting anybody bypass the line, even if they had a table waiting. I'll never book at a dining room in that location again on any ship. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

I've said this already in several other threads, so anybody who's seen my rant about the Botticelli dining room should skip this. 😃

We booked the Botticelli dining room for our cruise on the Ruby last Fall. Same 5:00 time as you've booked. Never again. The waiting area outside the dining room is small. Many, many people had also booked 5:00, so it was very crowded. Very, very crowded, and that was the case for every night. First night, we got a really great table for two and really great waitstaff, so we asked our waiter if we could be assigned to that table for the remainder of the cruise. He checked and told us it was done. But we still had to tuck into the line that snaked back and forth in that way too small waiting area. There was a Princess employee, who we dubbed "The Line Wrangler", who herded everybody into the line and kept some kind of order. We agreed that he had a worst job on the ship and that he was doing the best he could. But he wasn't letting anybody bypass the line, even if they had a table waiting. I'll never book at a dining room in that location again on any ship. 

Thank and I have read your helpful info before but Botticelli was the only restaurant that the medallion app would book a table for 2; the others were only shared tables. Am going to try to change it when we get there. Very frustrating but the Princess IT  (website and app) are really substandard and a royal pain to navigate - pre-cruise at least. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roxievegas said:

We had cancelled our reservation for one night and found out that we were cancelled for the rest of the cruise - Do not cancel - just go where ever you want and show the the next night.

waiting outside the port 27 to  get inside the building - we were in line for over an hour.  Very slow checking people in - hopefully they have hired more people.

Thank you for advice!  The Princess app and website work so poorly I would be afraid to cancel only 1 night.  And since I can't get to the terminal until about 12:30 lunch may be over by the time I can get on the ship!

3 minutes ago, zentraveler said:

Thank and I have read your helpful info before but Botticelli was the only restaurant that the medallion app would book a table for 2; the others were only shared tables. Am going to try to change it when we get there. Very frustrating but the Princess IT  (website and app) are really substandard and a royal pain to navigate - pre-cruise at least. 

Let me just say that we had booked the DaVinci dining room, but right before the cruise found that we had been moved to Botticelli.  It was wonderful.  Had the same table for two every night.  Great waiters.  No line (we ate at 6PM) to speak of...we usually just walked up to the door, checked in, and then just walked to our table.  So it sounds like they've greatly improved since last Fall.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, roxievegas said:

Thank you for advice!  The Princess app and website work so poorly I would be afraid to cancel only 1 night.  And since I can't get to the terminal until about 12:30 lunch may be over by the time I can get on the ship!

One last question:  what do the embarkation officials actually need to see as you get on the ship? I assume my passport, but I have uploaded everything else (vaccine info etc) except my test results which I will have uploaded by the time I board. I have "green line" boarding so is there anything else in paper or original form that they will want? I want to have whatever they ask for handy and not have to get it out of my shoulder bag when I get to the counter. 

8 minutes ago, middlehaitch said:

Sorry, you weren't clear in what the 'uploaded everything else' is so asking just in case-

Have you got your ArriveCAN app filled out?

It should be completed before boarding.

Cheers, h.

Thank you and NO I have not done this because I have not seen this so far on that lousy Princess website. I just now got an email from them saying it was necessary but the hyperlink to it, supposedly, does not go there. I will figure it out but thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, middlehaitch said:

It is quite simple to fill out and once you have your basic info in it saves it so you will only need to update your entering Canada info if needed for a second entry.

Try this link https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

Cheers, h.

Thank you so much!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zentraveler said:

One last question:  what do the embarkation officials actually need to see as you get on the ship? I assume my passport, but I have uploaded everything else (vaccine info etc) except my test results which I will have uploaded by the time I board. I have "green line" boarding so is there anything else in paper or original form that they will want? I want to have whatever they ask for handy and not have to get it out of my shoulder bag when I get to the counter. 

Even though you've uploaded "everything else", you need to bring all of it with you. From our experience boarding in April...no one looked at our app info. Instead, they checked our paperwork: passport, vax status, etc. Have your paperwork in your hand by the time you get to the front of the line.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Even though you've uploaded "everything else", you need to bring all of it with you. From our experience boarding in April...no one looked at our app info. Instead, they checked our paperwork: passport, vax status, etc. Have your paperwork in your hand by the time you get to the front of the line.

Thank you. I did not expect them to look at the app, but since it had been loaded onto their website weeks ago I did think that being in the "green line" meant that they were satisfied that they had out vaccine information, our passport information (although I did expect to show that) and I could not remember what else I had filled out online but I finally went from some other color to the green line. I guess I don't know what green (fastest) line means if they still need to see all of my paperwork, but glad I am not in the slow one whatever that means. 

have your passport

your covid card shot record

your arriv can - you can print it out or email it to yourself

copies of your travel summary from the princess website

I have printed copies of everythnig just incase

I also make copies of drivers license, medical cards etc.

36 minutes ago, roxievegas said:

have your passport

your covid card shot record

your arriv can - you can print it out or email it to yourself

copies of your travel summary from the princess website

I have printed copies of everythnig just incase

I also make copies of drivers license, medical cards etc.

Thanks and I also carry printed copies of everything just case. I was hoping since I had spent plenty of time loading much on to the Princess website several weeks ago that I would only need to show a few basic things like my passport as I got on the ship. But I will have it all and will keep it handy.  

Thanks to all for helpful info. 

On 7/15/2022 at 1:10 PM, middlehaitch said:

Sorry, you weren't clear in what the 'uploaded everything else' is so asking just in case-

Have you got your ArriveCAN app filled out?

It should be completed before boarding.

Cheers, h.

Thank you again for this middlehaitch. Princess did such a poor job of letting anyone know about that they sent out an emergency alert on Saturday - before our Tuesday cruise. Thankfully since you had alerted us, we were all signed up by then. I also checked and even though we don't plan to be off the ship in the only Canadian port, it was still necessary.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zentraveler said:

Thank you again for this middlehaitch. Princess did such a poor job of letting anyone know about that they sent out an emergency alert on Saturday - before our Tuesday cruise. Thankfully since you had alerted us, we were all signed up by then. I also checked and even though we don't plan to be off the ship in the only Canadian port, it was still necessary.

The emergency notice is sent out as many folks don’t read their travel summary. Regardless of the cruise line it is really important to read this fine print. Princess has actually greatly improved where they put the info about ArriveCAN. It has been at the very top of the “Important Notices” of the travel summary for some time now. URLs should be copied and pasted as they are not always linked where you just click on it. 
All of the questions you had were answered in this part of your travel summary. Acceptable proof is outlined in the FAQs but defaulting to hard copies as you did is always a great idea. 

‘Last November the ArriveCAN info was buried under CANADIAN VISA REQUIREMENTS waaaay further down in the travel summary. I and many others missed it.  As an American I didn’t need a visa so I didn’t read it. Boy that embarkation was a total nightmare. Almost no one had the ArriveCAN ap loaded let alone filled out!  

But that really taught me a lesson. Read ALL the fine print every time!  

I am sure you will love the Ruby and her crew!  The Yes/No game show, Marriage Match Game and Hollywood Hiccups are usually laugh until your sides ache funny. If Stephanie Hodgdon is on board doing her rock concert I’d highly recommend it (if you like rock concerts that is). 

If you have a drink package you can call room service and get any number of small bottles of water sent and they will send 4 cocktails or glasses of wine at a time under the package as well. 

‘My favorite room service item are the chicken fingers under the kids menu.  They are usually excellent, especially paired with a nice salad. Room service salads are small so I always order 2. 

Enjoy the Ruby!  

Notifications

COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT

Please be advised that guests 5 years and older on this voyage are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and meet the following requirements: - have received their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before the beginning of the cruise and produce proof of vaccination at terminal check-in. Boosters are recommended for eligible guests at least seven days before embarkation. - produce acceptable proof of a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken before or at embarkation (for guests 2 years and older). For required timing and details, please visit https://*****/pcl_ustest - complete ArriveCAN at https://*****/arrivecan within 72 hours of your cruise embarkation and enter proof of vaccination and travel information.
Travel requirements are subject to change and vary by destination. Check our CruiseHealth FAQs (https://*****/pcl_usfaq), Princess communications and official government sites often for specifics for your voyage.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2022 at 2:25 AM, zentraveler said:

New to Princess. We  live in SF and embark on 7/19 on the Ruby.  Would love some advice: 

• We don't embark until 12:30-1 pm (previous morning commitments and it is only a quick ride to Port 27). Will there be anywhere to eat lunch? Which dining areas?
  • I don't get a feeling embarking is going to go easily or quickly despite the face that we are labeled "green" lane. Will it be any better after the early rush?
  • I booked us a regular DR time at 5 pm (trying to avoid the crowds) in Botacelli but am realizing we don't want that the first night (late lunch, going out under the GG bridge etc. even though we see it all the time). I can't imagine either of the specialty restaurants have later reservation and we don't especially want that anyway. Cancel the one we have - and how? Show up someplace that is more walk-in - where?

Thanks!

We left SF on the Ruby in April.(first timers)

We put our hand luggage in the room, then went to the crooners bar, after that we went to the hotdog place which is near the pool and it was much quieter than the horizons buffet.

Embarking was really easy. We was also green lane and looking at the queues it did not make much difference at the time. might be now restrictions are getting better and cruising becoming more popular again. I think you have the right time. We was earlier at 11am and got the queues. When we left a week later, we had to hang around for a while, and we saw queues really early on, but then when it got to about 12 it started to calm down. We wont be embarking until about 1pm next time we do the emerald next year.

On 7/14/2022 at 6:25 PM, zentraveler said:

Thanks!

• We got off a bit before your boarded.  By the time you boarded you probably found that your only choice was the buffet, or burgers, or pizza.
  • The later you board, the worse it is going to get.  It is currently 5PM, and if it is like our trip, you haven't left the pier.  Some people told me that they waited for 4 hours to board.
  • A dining time of 5PM should let you avoid crowds in any dining room.  Botacelli is difficult to access being at the back of ship and can only be accessed by the rear elevators.  Consider DaVinci or Michelangelo.  DaVinci and Botacelli share the same kitchen.  The same food is served in all of the MDRs, except perhaps (at least someone claimed it to be so) an extra choice in Club Class dining.
  • Going under the bridge is overrated, especially if you live in the City or are a native.
  • Just enjoy the trip and roll with the punches.  Some claim that the portions and the quality of the food has diminished; I didn't see any difference in the portions, but the beef seemed a little tougher than before.  My doctor would be so proud of me that I chose the seafood offerings so many times 😁.
  • If you are dining at the same time each night you will probably be assigned a table with the same waiter and junior waiter each night.  They will get to know your preferences and attend to them without your asking after a few nights.  Be nice to them and they'll take care of you.  If you choose to, slip them a gratuity every so often (and you should if their service is above expectations) and they'll be appreciative, though they'll treat you attentively even if you don't.
  • If you bought the Wi-Fi package, you should be able to access this response.

On 7/19/2022 at 9:56 AM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

The emergency notice is sent out as many folks don’t read their travel summary. Regardless of the cruise line it is really important to read this fine print. Princess has actually greatly improved where they put the info about ArriveCAN. It has been at the very top of the “Important Notices” of the travel summary for some time now. URLs should be copied and pasted as they are not always linked where you just click on it. 
All of the questions you had were answered in this part of your travel summary. Acceptable proof is outlined in the FAQs but defaulting to hard copies as you did is always a great idea. 

‘Last November the ArriveCAN info was buried under CANADIAN VISA REQUIREMENTS waaaay further down in the travel summary. I and many others missed it.  As an American I didn’t need a visa so I didn’t read it. Boy that embarkation was a total nightmare. Almost no one had the ArriveCAN ap loaded let alone filled out!  

But that really taught me a lesson. Read ALL the fine print every time! 

I have a very detailed lawyer husband who never met fine print he didn't read, so I can't imagine how we missed it. Something that important - EVERYONE has to have it - should not be buried in the fine print. It should have been in the medalion check list with the vaccine, test results and health screener. Their IT communicatons in general are hard to access and often a mess - I have been locked out of my princess.com account for a month and me and the rest of us get a 2 paragraph red lettered announcement saying, we know and we are working on it. Don't call us for help. 

But the ship is great and great to be on the move!!

On 7/19/2022 at 5:19 PM, SiliconCruiser said:
  • We got off a bit before your boarded.  By the time you boarded you probably found that your only choice was the buffet, or burgers, or pizza.
  • The later you board, the worse it is going to get.  It is currently 5PM, and if it is like our trip, you haven't left the pier.  Some people told me that they waited for 4 hours to board.
  • A dining time of 5PM should let you avoid crowds in any dining room.  Botacelli is difficult to access being at the back of ship and can only be accessed by the rear elevators.  Consider DaVinci or Michelangelo.  DaVinci and Botacelli share the same kitchen.  The same food is served in all of the MDRs, except perhaps (at least someone claimed it to be so) an extra choice in Club Class dining.
  • Going under the bridge is overrated, especially if you live in the City or are a native.
  • Just enjoy the trip and roll with the punches.  Some claim that the portions and the quality of the food has diminished; I didn't see any difference in the portions, but the beef seemed a little tougher than before.  My doctor would be so proud of me that I chose the seafood offerings so many times 😁.
  • If you are dining at the same time each night you will probably be assigned a table with the same waiter and junior waiter each night.  They will get to know your preferences and attend to them without your asking after a few nights.  Be nice to them and they'll take care of you.  If you choose to, slip them a gratuity every so often (and you should if their service is above expectations) and they'll be appreciative, though they'll treat you attentively even if you don't.
  • If you bought the Wi-Fi package, you should be able to access this response.
  • Thanks for reply SiliconCruiser. Boarding was slow. My husband got there at 11:45 and I got there about 12:30. Line seemed to be 1/2 mile long with everyone standing in the blazing sun (fortunately it is SF so temps were lovely). Once we got in the building  it went quickly and all they cared about seeing was passport, vax card, test result. No one cared about ArriveCAN.
  • Was too foggy to see the bridge even if we cared and yes, we left 4 hours late. They were loading fuel. 
  • Bottacelli at 5 pm has been wonderful. We are seated in a quiet niche by the window with only 6 tables and it has been a great choice. Food is good, with a few things being quite good. It is not Seabourn but no complaints at all.
  • Room service gets us coffee in about 5 minutes at 6 am. 
  • Wi-fi has been fine, especially early in the morning before everyone gets up. 
  • We are having a lovely time. I am used to smaller ships and this one feels a bit crowded because we have been at sea for 2 days and everyone is on the ship. But really a nice ship with great staff and great service. 
  • Like 3

I am also a first time Princess Cruiser. I’m not going on the Ruby but as there have been so many helpful responses to the OP‘s questions I’m hoping someone can answer mine.

I’m going on the crown princess next month and I’m trying to print my luggage tags. My luggage tags are not printing all on one page and I don’t seem to be able to edit that. I’m working from an iPad and I also tried it on my phone and it comes out the same way with a small piece of luggage tag on page 2. I have never had this happened before  but like I said this is my first time on Princess. Any ideas?