DRINKS ALLOWED TO BRING ON SHIP

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

Why all the hate for Coco Cay?  You can easily have a very enjoyable day without spending an extra dime, and there are a lot more/better amenities that are free of charge (more eateries, more loungers, more umbrellas, more places to swim).  

If you want to do EXTRA things, there is a charge for those activities, but there is no charge to do the things that were free before the renovation, and there are a lot more things that are available for free now. 

Here may be one view of Coco Cay dislike.....

So where is the nature trail?  And the natural beach feel?  And being able to sit up at the point on the other end for the great view?  And the Peacocks, the Iguanas, and even the roaming chickens?   Not to mention the natural birds.  And I am not talking obnoxious, aggressive Seagulls (AKA "Beach Chickens").   

"Paved paradise...put up a parking lot"

Granted many love the Disneyfied commerical tourist trap the island has become.  But not nature lovers.  😞   If I want theme/amusement park...I will stay home and go to the "land of the mouse".  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/15/2022 at 7:48 AM, Starry Eyes said:

They have long had the wine allowance.  Perhaps many people probably ask to bring a very special bottle or two for the very special occasion ( often a bottle the cruiseline could not source).  Having developed this such policies, it is hard to withdraw them and probably just not worth it.

Soda/water were allowed, then banned (banning liquids became pretty common).  And now you see the current policy above. Again, I think consumer demand.  People want their favorite beverage on board and some are very picky.  The ship cannot stock them all. This way people can bring a stash of an important one.

Special bottle?

I'd bet more bring wine to cut the cost of drinking

• Like 1

23 hours ago, topnole said:

All the lines used to let you bring any beverage (as much as you wanted).   So alcoholic or otherwise used to be allowed (either officially or unofficially via non enforcement).  Of course back then (say 80s and 90s), cruise fares were equal to or more than they are now.  Now Cruise lines don’t make money if you just cruise and don’t spend.  They need you to buy alcohol, dinners, etc., etc. to be profitable.  Thus the restrictions and enforcement, and the million different ways they try to get everyone used to spending extra on cruises now (looking at you coco cay).   The business model has changed over the years.   

George Smith case in 2005 changed a lot of Royal's alcohol rules

On 7/15/2022 at 7:58 AM, RosieCanberra said:

Oh wow, they didn't charge me, how funny. I have a few NCL booked, but I haven't cruised with them since 2016. 

NCL is often hit or miss on the charge.  They might point you toward a table to pay but some just walk on by.  Mostly a don't ask don't tell policy when I've brought it on.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 6:26 AM, DaKahuna said:

Because I cannot get Diet Pepsi, Diet Dr Pepper, or Diet Mt Dew on the cruise ship. 

Also, If there is a wine you like to enjoy, bring it.  You never really know what is available on the ship.

Diet Dr Pepper This^^^^^^

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 7:52 AM, Starry Eyes said:

No FYI, NCL charges a corkages fee on every bottle of wine a passenger brings on board ($15 for 750 ml bottle).  There is no limit to the number of bottles a guest may bring, but no “freebie” bottle

Is that corkage fee if you bring the wine to the dining room? On Celebrity, that's the case, but I drink my wine that I bring on board to enjoy in my cabin and on my balcony.

Monica

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Special bottle?

I like mine for a glass of wine...(or two...or three 😉 ) to enjoy in the cabin/on the balcony.  Sure, we also get 3 comped wines delivered to the cabin...but there are 7 nights on a seven night cruise. 😮 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Compass Rose Monica said:

Is that corkage fee if you bring the wine to the dining room? On Celebrity, that's the case, but I drink my wine that I bring on board to enjoy in my cabin and on my balcony.

Monica

We bring (very) full glasses to the dining room, no big deal.

3 hours ago, Compass Rose Monica said:

Monica

I have not sailed NCL since the restart and per other poster on this thread their newest policies are in flux.  So, if check the NCL board if you are serious about sailing NCL in the near future. In old days, corkage even for cabin wine.

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Special bottle?

I also think many bring it to save a few bucks, I hope they are carrying wine they really like.  Also  with current supply issues one does not know what wine may or may not be available on your cruise, which encourages people to buy favorite/special bottles on shore rather than counting on ship to have them in inventory.  

The other poster asked why I thought Royal had that wine policy.  I doubt they have to policy to help people save a few dollars on bar bills.  I still suspect it is so customer service reps can assure people thinking booking special occasion cruise that they can indeed bring that special bottle of wine on board for that certain night; those may be valuable bookings.  What is your theory?

14 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I also think many bring it to save a few bucks, I hope they are carrying wine they really like.  Also  with current supply issues one does not know what wine may or may not be available on your cruise, which encourages people to buy favorite/special bottles on shore rather than counting on ship to have them in inventory.  

The other poster asked why I thought Royal had that wine policy.  I doubt they have to policy to help people save a few dollars on bar bills.  I still suspect it is so customer service reps can assure people thinking booking special occasion cruise that they can indeed bring that special bottle of wine on board for that certain night; those may be valuable bookings.  What is your theory?

People like to save money. Pretty simple theory.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 4:21 AM, soremekun said:

Why does Royal allow guests to bring on soda or wine?

Also, I'm assuming these items are purchased shortly after the flight but before boarding the cruise ship  because who would want to do fly with these items?

I've done that before.  Wrapped the 12-pack case in large bubble wrap.  Came out fine and I didn't have to make a stop on the way to the ship.  It works but is probably not the safest way to do it.

14 hours ago, island lady said:

Here may be one view of Coco Cay dislike.....

So where is the nature trail?  And the natural beach feel?  And being able to sit up at the point on the other end for the great view?  And the Peacocks, the Iguanas, and even the roaming chickens?   Not to mention the natural birds.  And I am not talking obnoxious, aggressive Seagulls (AKA "Beach Chickens").   

"Paved paradise...put up a parking lot"

Granted many love the Disneyfied commerical tourist trap the island has become.  But not nature lovers.  😞   If I want theme/amusement park...I will stay home and go to the "land of the mouse".  

My kids found some roaming chickens in May.  They were so excited.  Lol.  

• Like 1