Food - what’s good, don’t miss or should avoid

Avoid:

Windjammer Desserts(look great, taste like ship)

Windjammer burgers (unless desperate)

Promenade Cafe: most sandwiches need help

Diamond/Suite lounge Apps: get them only at the beginning of happy hour. 
most bacon throughout the ship is poor, but one has to have their bacon anyway.

• Like 1

Trying to figure out which steak and beef is better as there is prime rib, New York strip, beef tenderloin, steak Diane,  beef stroganoff, beef short rib.  I think the tenderloin is day 2 and 6 and lobster just day 6.

are burgers in MDR better than windjammer. Hubby will miss his free Guys burgers from carnival. Not sure how often MDR will be open for brunch or lunch as app has mostly just breakfast and dinner.
I don’t see Duck or beef Wellington in the app. 
Just to make life fun, I broke my right hand and it will be in a cast. My left sucks(as I type with one left finger) so hope I don’t need knife skills.

As a RCL newbie, I appreciate the food tips as we don't think we will be trying the other dining venues this time. We will be on the Symphony in October and hoping to try some of these favs you have all shared.

Towanda

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, familycruzinnewbie said:

Trying to figure out which steak and beef is better as there is prime rib, New York strip, beef tenderloin, steak Diane,  beef stroganoff, beef short rib.  I think the tenderloin is day 2 and 6 and lobster just day 6.

are burgers in MDR better than windjammer. Hubby will miss his free Guys burgers from carnival. Not sure how often MDR will be open for brunch or lunch as app has mostly just breakfast and dinner.
I don’t see Duck or beef Wellington in the app. 
Just to make life fun, I broke my right hand and it will be in a cast. My left sucks(as I type with one left finger) so hope I don’t need knife skills.

I have enjoyed all the beef dishes in the MDR, but the tenderloin was my favorite.  It was not as good as a Chops filet mignon, but better than the other MDR beef offerings.  Of course non of them are "very" good, like a land-based steak restaurant (Outback, Texas Roadhouse) , but as good or better than a typical family-dining restaurant (Applebee's, etc.)

Other than Johnny Rocket's, I've never had a burger on an RCCL ship - there are just too many other choices.  BUt we ahve the UDP on our next cruise, so I might try on in Chops.

Best of luck with that cast!  

On 7/15/2022 at 9:25 AM, familycruzinnewbie said:

specific thing we should not miss. 

My favorite on RCL is a strawberry waffle w/whip cream for breakfast. 

And like mentioned, I got exactly what/how I wanted for dinners. 

That's one of the reasons why I really like cruising. Simply ask and they are more than willing to meet your requests.

We've found this on several cruise lines. 

• Like 1

We love their French onion soup. I always ask for a chilled soup and usually they whip up a strawberry bisque or a watermelon soup.

Lamb chops in Mdr are great.

We have found their NY strip to be thin and overcooked.

Hubby always like the tenderloin and beef short ribs.   

You can order a chops filet in Mdr for $16.95

Lunch in mdr, I enjoy the Royal Caribbean chicken sandwich and their lamb pita is always delish.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SummerBeee said:

Braised lamb shank is my favorite MDR entrée

i adore the vegan lemon tart, the crust is made with coconut, mmmm

I have a dairy allergy so I hope the vegan lemon tart is available on our cruise because it sounds really good. Have you tried any other vegan desserts?

9 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I just found and watched a video about that sandwich. Is that available on the Navigator?  Looks yummy to me!  

It may look good , but you have to try it for yourself . lol .🙂

There are two camps here , the ones that say its fabulous and then there are 

the others that say its a tough piece of meat with plenty of fat on a salty bun.

I am of the latter .

• Like 1

22 hours ago, familycruzinnewbie said:

steak Diane is NY strip steak but with a different sauce, per our waiter. I think it was cognac-mushroom sauce. I hated the sauce. I usually hate all the sauces/gravies on steaks, tenderloins and prime rib, if that helps you.  I like  herbed butter on RCI's NY strip.

NY strip is available every day, so if there is nothing you like on the menu, you can always try it.

Stay away from beef stroganoff as I already mentioned in my previous post. Tenderloin is great. Since you are on a cruise, why not try them all? They are not all served on the same day, you know.

14 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

What is that.  I really have no idea.

it's a beef sammich at the Park Cafe on Oasis class ships. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not. It really depends... Comes with a choice of condiments - horseradish, au jus or plain.

I've had good ones, DH had some bad ones...

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I just found and watched a video about that sandwich. Is that available on the Navigator?  Looks yummy to me!  

Yes, it is served for lunch in parks Cafe.   I always them to slice meat thin and put a little horseradish on each side of the bun with a little au jus.   Can ask for au jus to be on side in small container to dip in, if you wish.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

it's a beef sammich at the Park Cafe on Oasis class ships. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not. It really depends... Comes with a choice of condiments - horseradish, au jus or plain.

I've had good ones, DH had some bad ones...

Thank you.  We will be on the Navigator.  I hope they have it in the Café Promenade because it sounds like something I would really like.

22 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, it is served for lunch in parks Cafe.   I always them to slice meat thin and put a little horseradish on each side of the bun with a little au jus.   Can ask for au jus to be on side in small container to dip in, if you wish.

Is Parks Café the same as Café Promenade?  Do you know if they serve this on  embarkation day at lunchtime?

42 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Is Parks Café the same as Café Promenade?  Do you know if they serve this on  embarkation day at lunchtime?

There is no Park Cafe on Navigator. I don't know if they'd have it on Cafe Prominade or not but on embarkation day they had it in the Windjammer on one of those carving stations

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

There is no Park Cafe on Navigator. I don't know if they'd have it on Cafe Prominade or not but on embarkation day they had it in the Windjammer on one of those carving stations

Thank you.  When I cruise with Princess I usually eat lunch in the MDR on embarkation day.  Is the buffet usually crazy crowded for embarkation day lunch?

1 minute ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you.  When I cruise with Princess I usually eat lunch in the MDR on embarkation day.  Is the buffet usually crazy crowded for embarkation day lunch?

Yes, depending on when you go it can be crazy. But the MDR isn't open on embarkation day for lunch so just about everyone funnels through Windjammer.

• Like 2

Just now, smokeybandit said:

A lot of it is people having no where else to go (rooms not ready) so they take their time after eating.

Have you ever sailed on a Princess Royal Class ship?  If so, is the buffet large like that or is it smaller?  I’ve watched YouTube videos but it’s hard to really tell what it’s going to be like.