Live from RSSC Voyager sailing July 15, 2022

mdunne48

16 minutes ago, mdunne48 said:

Greenland is batting around .375 for ports visited. Great average for baseball but not cruising. However, the captain’s decisions were absolutely correct! Safety is paramount. 

At least you're up to bat.  We were on Navigator in June and both Greenland ports were cancelled due to 50 kt. winds, heavy rain, and icebergs.  As you said " the captain’s decisions were absolutely correct! Safety is paramount."  Enjoying seeing your photos of what we missed.  

Our tour in Qaqortoq was cancelled yesterday. We were to get on boat to the island with the Hvalsey church ruin is located.  I was getting nervous about getting on a local small boat anyway in case the evil fog returning.  So, we took the tender to the quaint town. I got an amazing shot of the sunset last night. Will share later. 

All the text vanished from the previous post.

It was a relaxing day at sea after the cancellation of touring Prince Christian Sound.  I caught the movie “nap” in the suite this afternoon. The DW says I was a star!!! 

Tonight we dined in Prime 7 with new friends. It was the best meal of the cruise. I had surf & turf while the DW had a filet mignon. Everything was prepared to perfection. 

The two pictures in post #126 were our deserts. The ever popular “popcorn sundae “ and the 14 layer chocolate cake. Both YUMMMMMY. 

The DW had a lot of fun with our waiter, Nicholas, a very personable young man. Before we knew it 2:30 hours had gone by and it was time for this evening’s entertainment. 

The show tonight was TIANO. A combination of Shimi Goodman, Tenor, & Chris Hamilton, pIANO. Therefore TIANO. Individually they are very, very good. Commanding stage presence!! As a duo they were more of a lounge act, medley of songs from the 80’s, some original compositions, more medleys……. Still good not great…..

Tomorrow we have another sea day……I wonder what’s for breakfast 🙂 

Day 13 - At Sea

There was a lengthy meeting of the NAWC held this morning on deck 12. In fact at the end of the meeting there was a surprise guest, my shadow!  Generally we have been sailing under overcast conditions. The seas have been relatively calm except for the night after departing Killybegs, Ireland. Since Killybegs temperatures have been in the upper 30’s to mid 50’s. There has been no rain so far and only yesterday was the winds significant factor. 

All is good aboard the Voyager.  Some general observations:

The staff and crew are outstanding! All the little things are done without you noticing them. They really try to accommodate any reasonable request. 

The service in Prime 7 last night was just right. Not overbearing as our previous visit was. 

Looking forward to Iceland! We will get 5 days there due to the back to back segments. 

Later……..

• Like 1

love that chocolate cake pic! Hopefully the weather will cooperate for you in Iceland.  we have been there several times.  All but one had perfect weather through out and the other, it rained the whole time.  

A quiet afternoon aboard the Voyager. The captain is trying to outrun a weather system that is forecasted to be in this area overnight. He has the ship at 18 knots. We will be very near the coast of Iceland by late this evening. We are 147.5 miles from Isafjordur, our next port of call. We will see if this works. Right now seas are increasing in swell but the stabilisers are handling it very well. 

Crew capers is tonight due to a special 30th anniversary show tomorrow evening. On Friday we have on overnight in Reykjavik.

Going back to Setti Marie tonight. They changed their menu yesterday. Will report and photo anything outstanding.

The laundry service is outstanding.  Everything comes back spotless, pressed, neat, awesome!!!

Have not seen any whales, dolphins or any sea life except for numerous birds during this trip.  Maybe in Icelandic waters we will have a better opportunity. 

I think that tonight is this ship’s closest proximity to crossing the arctic circle. We should be less than a degree south when at Isafjordur. 

Off to the show.

• Like 1

I’ve seen several whales on the port side from observation lounge yesterday.  There were several of us.  You could see their plumes and I saw some of their backs/fins as they arched but no tails.  It was exciting.  

• Like 1

I have met RC and DKC on this sAiling. In fact we have adjoining suites!  They are a very gracious couple in the best of the Texas tradition. Hook ‘em horns!!!! 

Tonight the Crew Capers was a very spirited show. It is always fun to see how talented people are in something other than their professional chosen field. This was the Voyager’s first Crew Capers in a long time according to CD Margaret. Lots of standing ovations for the crew and rightfully so!!!

Have to say I did not see a change in the Setti Marie menu. We had a medley of dishes ….

Gnocchi 

8216C638-AF6D-4E12-92B5-97A95A82892C.thumb.jpeg.4200319cfa0ec1a96450bc15778a907f.jpeg

Lobster risotto 

B7F34E5C-937B-4B83-98D2-7AFEBED5DEB3.thumb.jpeg.dbd1173162d536937baba3837341a87f.jpeg

Tonight’s 9:30 show was the Voyager production cast doing, “The Classic Musical”. It was GREAT!!! They really packed in a lot in 45 minutes. Top notch singing and dancing by some very good entertainers. Bravo Regent!!!!! 

I hope to see more of them during our next segment. 

Seas are pretty calm this evening. We are close to the Icelandic coast so maybe the night will be a smooooooth one. Isafjordur in the morning…..looking forward do it.

Day 14 - Isafjordur, Iceland

A beautiful, sunny skies greeted us this morning just off the coast of Iceland. However, as we entered the mouth of Isafjordur’s harbor our habitual overcast skies returned. We are now docked. I think it will be very comfortable day as long as the rain holds off. 

36EC1D1A-DA75-488A-A303-5B06CFCFE7B6.thumb.jpeg.bcf5e645ec0d95780e61ac185a207783.jpeg

We depart the ship in a few minutes to join our tour, Arctic foxes. We are planning to stay in town this afternoon and visit some local attractions. The picture below does not really convey the steepness of this fjord. On the edge of the water there is a runway. An aircraft passed the ship and was pretty much even with deck 9. 

330F5D51-E81F-4E71-8767-124752527390.thumb.jpeg.5f19e527daa95852d932ade4440ae175.jpeg

Day 14 - Isafjordur (continued)

This is a small town on the northwest corner of Iceland. It is situated in one of the many fjords that dot Iceland’s coast. The past history of Isafjordur was the whaling industry. That no longer has any prominence in this area as whaling has ceased for the most part. They rely mostly on fishing & eco-tourism for their economy. They are a totally green energy.environment. 

Here are some photos:

aircraft departing Isafjordur 

044C404D-B4F7-4B1C-9080-85ADE0E45F2D.thumb.jpeg.bd3a5c60b97cd95fad017ff08a9b159b.jpeg

sunny / cloudy / rain / cold / warm

the weather changes every 5 minutes 2A84D25E-6215-426A-82E4-EA6548943C9B.thumb.jpeg.eee74c4d9ea40487af3d0c7370948f8c.jpeg2A84D25E-6215-426A-82E4-EA6548943C9B.thumb.jpeg.eee74c4d9ea40487af3d0c7370948f8c.jpeg

1E33E5C8-6C50-4F9E-8CC3-6CAD2AD5E5AB.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RachelG said:

I want to hear about the arctic foxes tour.  This is a new one as I have been to this port twice before...  And it is definitely something I would have booked had it been on offer.

Rachel, here are some pictures from the tour. There is a small museum associated with this “fox habitat”. The fox in the picture is a white fox but naturally turns part brown in the summer in order to camouflage itself.

38B0F13D-5EB0-4BFD-B4D0-8AF2EF63D79D.thumb.jpeg.f850abfb161c2e1c21719784040fd876.jpeg6B61AB2C-4A38-4711-817C-0D89BBA66AD5.thumb.jpeg.b644bccd548fdaaf3b52a8bb205a4e18.jpeg

• Like 1