Anyone tested positive just before their cruise? What do RCL do?

Given the alarming rise in cases in the UK I'm surprsied no one else has asked about this.

We cruise next weeked - 24th July and have tests booked in Barcelona.    However, my wife has just tested positive in the UK.    There is a chance that she'll be negative before we fly so we might be OK.    If we manage to crusie does anyone know what RCL will do when we answer the health questioaire and say we have been in contact with a positive case?   Will they let us cruise (we'd all be negative), will they quarantine us on ship or make us test everyday?

Secondly, if we can't cruise I beleive we can get a full refund.    I assume we'll need proper documentation to prove an infection.     Has anyone got any expreience of cancelling 3 days before thier cruise due to COVID?   How long did the refund take?

Thanks

M

10 minutes ago, Jaz52002 said:

Given the alarming rise in cases in the UK I'm surprised no one else has asked about this.

Serach/read a bit - it has been asked several times. You can't really cancel 3 days out since you have to take the test 2 days out - if/when that is positive, then you cancel. Refunds take 45 days or more.

We were in Florida in June and my partner tested positive 3 days before our planned cruise.

He was also positive (obviously) on our pre-cruise test the day before the cruise.

We called after our questionnaire told us we couldn’t board, had to send proof of our positive test via email and were issued a full refund.

It took less than a week despite saying it could take 4-6 weeks.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Jaz52002 said:

Given the alarming rise in cases in the UK I'm surprsied no one else has asked about this.

We cruise next weeked - 24th July and have tests booked in Barcelona.    However, my wife has just tested positive in the UK.    There is a chance that she'll be negative before we fly so we might be OK.    If we manage to crusie does anyone know what RCL will do when we answer the health questioaire and say we have been in contact with a positive case?   Will they let us cruise (we'd all be negative), will they quarantine us on ship or make us test everyday?

Secondly, if we can't cruise I beleive we can get a full refund.    I assume we'll need proper documentation to prove an infection.     Has anyone got any expreience of cancelling 3 days before thier cruise due to COVID?   How long did the refund take?

Thanks

M

Sorry to say Royal requires no covid in the previous 10 days.  You will need documentation from a proctored tested versus a self administered covid test for a full refund. The health questionnaire asks if anyone tested positive within the last 10 days as well as exposure in the past 14 days.  Your timeline won't work in ordeer to board the ship.  I had 2 cruises in this scenario, one for me the day of the test and it was a surprise as I was asymptomatic, the other was my husband 3 weeks later who tested positive 1 week prior and still tested positive.   

• Like 3

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

I tested positive 2 days  before my May cruise and my TA cancelled it and I had my refund in a little less than two weeks

With very similar circumstances, tax refund was 46 days - still waiting for cabin fare refund.

I've cancelled twice in 2022.  

First time, I tested positive pre-cruise.  Wouldn't have known if I didn't test (just had some sniffles...I've had allergies 10x worse).  I called and let the CS rep know I tested positive and had to cancel.

Second time, I was going solo but my wife tested positive that same week.  I tested negative but didn't want to get on board and then get sick.  I called and explained the situation to the CS rep and that I wanted to cancel.  Never tested positive.

I may have been super lucky with the rep(s) I got on the phone, but neither time did I have to send proof of a positive test.  Both times I got full refunds within 2-3 weeks (even though one of the cruises used an FCC).

• Like 1

My daughter tested positive 3 days before we were supposed to cruise a few weeks ago.  I called right away and cancelled and they’re refunding our whole group that was going (we were going with my parents and they had been exposed to her).  We’re still waiting on the refund, we’ve gotten the insurance refund back so far.  Luckily the rest of us didn’t get it and now we leave tomorrow!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jaz52002 said:

Thanks

M

You have to answer on the health questionnaire if anyone in the group has been positive in the last 10 days. That eliminates your wife. Call Royal Caribbean and ask them the process for the cancellation.

I really feel for you. I really do. Its our biggest worry now in the uk as we sail in 27 days. Its annoying as you can lie and go on a flight on holiday somewhere without the need for a test, but knowing full well your positive. A women at our local swimming pool was telling a friend she just went on holiday anyway even though she tested positive on a home test the day before her flight. She never reported it. Shocking really but thats the world we live in. 

So I applaud you for your honesty and hope you get a quick and swift refund. 

We are from the UK and tested positive just over 2 weeks before flying to NY for a cruise with RC. We just paid for PCR tests that were by independent clinics and then 10 days later paid for a certificate of recovery again from an independent clinic as RC will accept these (unless rules have changed) We used it for our flight to the US at the time too and it was absolutely fine. You just need to make sure you have that 1 days window as you cant get a certificate before day 10. Then if you test positive at the port it doesnt matter as the certificate coverts you for this for 180 days

Just a quick update.   Had to cancel.   RCL were very helpful.   Just had to email confirmation of the positive test.   Full refund being processed.   Could take 30+ days.

Theres always next year!11

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jaz52002 said:

Just a quick update.   Had to cancel.   RCL were very helpful.   Just had to email confirmation of the positive test.   Full refund being processed.   Could take 30+ days.

Sorry that you had to cancel your cruise and hope your wife is recovering well.

I am Australian and was due to go on Vision of the Seas from Barcelona on June 30 but tested positive on my pre cruise test on June 28 (no symptoms at all) when I was already in Spain. I sent an email (no-one could help me on the phone) with a copy of the test results and received a reply on July 1 saying that I would get a refund in 30 - 45 days. I received my full refund of the cruise fare and shore excursions on July 6 which was actually before I returned to Australia.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaz52002 said:

And hopefully you won't get it and your wife feels better soon. 

Is this the current policy for cruises being booked now? I looked on RCI site and it states that if booked after March then there would be no refund. It is so confusing, so I just took the cruise insurance. Now not sure I needed to...

I got all the way from the US to Copenhagen for our Voyager cruise and tested positive.  The only way I'm cruising until we are past all of this is if I can take the test to get me on the ship before I leave my house (within 48 hours).  It's one thing to test positive before you leave, but a whole different story to get to the port (in a foreign country, no less) and then test positive.  

As for the refund, we got most of it back within a week.  They messed up and kept our deposit in the first refund, but that is now supposed to show up after 30 days.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mpdahmer said:

Is this the current policy for cruises being booked now? I looked on RCI site and it states that if booked after March then there would be no refund. It is so confusing, so I just took the cruise insurance. Now not sure I needed to...

Haven't looked at the RCI website but I think the Cruise with Confidence program, where you could cancel for any reason, is what is no longer valid.  If you test positive I would assume they would still give you your refund since this is their rule and they are denying boarding.

41 minutes ago, mpdahmer said:

There are 2 different policies.  What you are looking at is the CWC that did end.  The policy regarding testing positive prior to sailing is separate and extends into next year. 

It's detailed here:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-i-test-positive-for-sars-cov-2-what-is-your-refund-policy-and-costs-covered

Guests will have the following COVID-19 Assistance at no extra charge. 

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Travelling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 10 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal, for cruises departing on or before April 30, 2023.
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund if your cruise is cut short for reasons related to COVID-19, for cruises departing on or before September 30, 2022.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Royal Caribbean will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, and provide assistance with any required land-based quarantine, or travel home for you and your Traveling Party, for cruises departing on or before September 30, 2022.

9 hours ago, rudeney said:

It's detailed here:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-i-test-positive-for-sars-cov-2-what-is-your-refund-policy-and-costs-covered

Guests will have the following COVID-19 Assistance at no extra charge. 

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Travelling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 10 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal, for cruises departing on or before April 30, 2023.
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund if your cruise is cut short for reasons related to COVID-19, for cruises departing on or before September 30, 2022.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Royal Caribbean will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, and provide assistance with any required land-based quarantine, or travel home for you and your Traveling Party, for cruises departing on or before September 30, 2022.

Thanks for the response...apparently my google skills aren't as good as they once were.

2 hours ago, mpdahmer said:

Thanks for the response...apparently my google skills aren't as good as they once were.

I only knew where it was because I was looking at it to see what was covered on our upcoming Oct. 2nd cruise.  As it stands today, we could still get a refund for a positive test or COVID exposure pre-cruise, but once we are onboard, we would get no help with any quarantines for a positive test.

11 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I only knew where it was because I was looking at it to see what was covered on our upcoming Oct. 2nd cruise.  As it stands today, we could still get a refund for a positive test or COVID exposure pre-cruise, but once we are onboard, we would get no help with any quarantines for a positive test.

F0r $130 we took the travel guard insurance...