CDC ends all restrictions as of July 18th (TODAY!!)

51 minutes ago, mndity said:

I would rather no one be able to get Covid19 while cruising, So until that happens, keep the testing going.  I was vaccinated and booster twice but still got Covid, along with my wife, on our recent Alaskan cruise (June 13 - 20).

So you tested (along with all other passengers), got Covid, but want pre-boarding testing (that you proved didn't prevent you from getting Covid) to continue?  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, notscb said:

Since my post got deleted, I'll revise my statement.

Covid has been shown to not be like every other virus. It's more transmissible and more challenging given the long-covid symptoms we've been seeing and people have had to live with (beyond just a prolonged loss of smell). I think that while it's normal for us to want to get back to cruising as normal, we would do better to recognize that we aren't the only ones that we are placing at risk when getting onboard a ship. The crew is the most obvious, as they have lives and families to get back to and live in much, much more cramped spaces than the passengers do.

Look at the amount of folks on this and other threads who say their cruise was great until they got home with covid. How many people did they encounter on the way from the ship to home? Did they fly while contagious?

My point is that Covid isn't like every other virus. If we want our vacation experiences to feel "normal," we could be doing better to make sure everyone's vacation experience getting onboard with us can also be normal. Now is not the time for individualism.

Well stated.

Now is also the time to trust science, not social media, celebrities or politicians.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

No, when you're over a cold or flu, you're over it.  

In contrast, a significant number of people experience "Long Covid".  I had Covid last February, and I got past the virus in a couple days -- but I experienced a variety of symptoms for roughly two months.  Exhaustion was a constant, but the headache, cough, and body aches came and went unpredictably.  For two months.  They were enough to impact my day-to-day life; I went to the doctor about it, and he assured me that this was all normal after having Covid. 

This isn't an unusual story:  My sister-in-law, who is a little younger than me and has no co-morbidities, is still having problems more than a year after getting over Covid.  I know several teachers at school who have had similar situations, though none as lengthy as my sister-in-law's.  

From the CDC website:  

New data from the Household Pulse Survey show that more than 40% of adults in the United States reported having COVID-19 in the past, and nearly one in five of those (19%) are currently still having symptoms of “long COVID.”

Yes the other variants had these symptoms but they are saying these new ones do not. Many other illnesses do the same and as you get older, it does take longer to get rid of a bug it seems. 

57 minutes ago, mndity said:

I would rather no one be able to get Covid19 while cruising, So until that happens, keep the testing going.  I was vaccinated and booster twice but still got Covid, along with my wife, on our recent Alaskan cruise (June 13 - 20).

Let me understand, we should do exactly what you and your wife did…..despite you both catching Covid?

Hope you both recovered quickly and are feeling good again

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, notscb said:

Since my post got deleted, I'll revise my statement.

Covid has been shown to not be like every other virus. It's more transmissible and more challenging given the long-covid symptoms we've been seeing and people have had to live with (beyond just a prolonged loss of smell). I think that while it's normal for us to want to get back to cruising as normal, we would do better to recognize that we aren't the only ones that we are placing at risk when getting onboard a ship. The crew is the most obvious, as they have lives and families to get back to and live in much, much more cramped spaces than the passengers do.

Look at the amount of folks on this and other threads who say their cruise was great until they got home with covid. How many people did they encounter on the way from the ship to home? Did they fly while contagious?

My point is that Covid isn't like every other virus. If we want our vacation experiences to feel "normal," we could be doing better to make sure everyone's vacation experience getting onboard with us can also be normal. Now is not the time for individualism.

Possibly because many of these people have not been around others as much at home also. Their immune system is lower because of that and that they are in a different routine and have gotten themselves sick. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, notscb said:

If you want a "normal" vacation experience just go somewhere on land.  That is what we have been doing and having a great time.  No masks, no testing, no having to prove vaccination, no other protocols.  Also, have not gotten covid when getting home.  Someday we may be able to cruise again once it becomes enjoyable.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

Yes the other variants had these symptoms but they are saying these new ones do not. Many other illnesses do the same and as you get older, it does take longer to get rid of a bug it seems. 

Being older and being female do increase your chances of having Long Covid, but it can happen to anyone. 

Just for the record, I'm in my early 50s and although I am a Diabetic, my numbers are in perfect control, and I don't even take medication -- but I got Long Covid.  My sister-in-law who's been fighting Long Covid for more than a year is in her mid-40s and has no co-morbidities.  The teachers I know who have had trouble with it are 30-40ish, and their health varies.  

Thing is, when we dismiss the situation by saying, "It's no more than a cold", we dismiss a real problem -- it seems people who say "The problem is over" are just reacting to Covid fatigue; that is, they're just fed up with it and are wishing it were really gone.  Sure, we are better off than we were two years ago, but we still need to use reasonable precautions that fit the situation -- we have more tools with which to fight now, but we can't pretend it isn't still real.  

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I have a friend who has long covid.  Whenever I see her updates, I am so sad for her. It sounds absolutely dreadful. 

I know some too who have that and it is not good. Mainly people who had covid in the beginning.

3 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Being older and being female do increase your chances of having Long Covid, but it can happen to anyone. 

Just for the record, I'm in my early 50s and although I am a Diabetic, my numbers are in perfect control, and I don't even take medication -- but I got Long Covid.  My sister-in-law who's been fighting Long Covid for more than a year is in her mid-40s and has no co-morbidities.  The teachers I know who have had trouble with it are 30-40ish, and their health varies.  

Thing is, when we dismiss the situation by saying, "It's no more than a cold", we dismiss a real problem -- it seems people who say "The problem is over" are just reacting to Covid fatigue; that is, they're just fed up with it and are wishing it were really gone.  Sure, we are better off than we were two years ago, but we still need to use reasonable precautions that fit the situation -- we have more tools with which to fight now, but we can't pretend it isn't still real.  

Fatigue could also be a symptom of the vaccine as that was the only symptom I got when I had it. There are so many different reasons for things and we need to study this more, while getting back to normal life. 

2 minutes ago, Keksie said:

If you want a "normal" vacation experience just go somewhere on land.  That is what we have been doing and having a great time.  No masks, no testing, no having to prove vaccination, no other protocols.  Also, have not gotten covid when getting home.  Someday we may be able to cruise again once it becomes enjoyable.

To be fair, it's harder to know who gets Covid after a land-based vacation.  You're not with the same group of people throughout your vacation, and they all go their separate ways afterward.  If they come down with Covid afterward, they can't really know whether they caught it at one of the restaurants they visited, or at the concert, or at the hotel pool.  

In contrast, people on a cruise are (mainly) with the same group for a week or so -- and, afterward, if they catch Covid, they feel sure it came from the ship.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hazeleyes46 said:

Fatigue could also be a symptom of the vaccine as that was the only symptom I got when I had it. There are so many different reasons for things and we need to study this more, while getting back to normal life. 

Yes, when I had my first vaxx, I became exhausted and ill just about 24 hours after taking the shot ... and it lasted just about 24 hours.  I counted that as a worthwhile cost.  

But that was months and months before I actually caught Covid (in my classroom -- thanks, School Board, for removing mandatory masking).  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yes, when I had my first vaxx, I became exhausted and ill just about 24 hours after taking the shot ... and it lasted just about 24 hours.  I counted that as a worthwhile cost.  

But that was months and months before I actually caught Covid (in my classroom -- thanks, School Board, for removing mandatory masking).  

Ugghh that stinks. Did you stop wearing your mask?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Well stated.

Now is also the time to trust science, not social media, celebrities or politicians.  

The problem is, in this day and time, our scientists have turned themselves in politicians and celebrities.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

I know some too who have that and it is not good. Mainly people who had covid in the beginning.

My husband and I got covid in mid 2020.  Neither of us are the same for taste or smell, both were in an out of the ER multiple times and and I was admitted for an overnight.  I was on zero daily meds before Covid.  After is a pile of different meds, including Covid induced diabetes.  I never feel really ok.  I am exhausted 100% of the time, nerve pain is bad, and neurologic issues.   

We are going on a Celebrity cruise in Nov.  I deliberately booked a suite where if there was any hint that *maybe* something was up, we could comfortably isolate until knowing for sure and calling the medical center.  We will mask if needed to depending on status of Covid in the world at the time and on the ship.  We will be limiting ourselves going onshore - no shore excursions (will not get on a bus!), limited time and we will watch status of each island and make decision for each one night before.  

Can we prevent ourselves from getting covid again?  No.  But can we reduce risks for ourselves and others?  Absolutely yes.  It's the same with testing - I don't *want* the testing requirement, because it's a pain to deal with and stressful, but I would rather have the piece of mind that it provides - reduced risk of catching it.  It does not eliminate the risk, but the reduction of risk is substantial.  So I will get my test if required, and I will be bringing enough home tests for both of us to test in cabin as needed, whenever needed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wingatesl said:

Virgin Voyages just dropped testing requirements Voyage Well | Virgin Voyages

Since The Bahamas no longer requires a negative test it is easy for Virgin to drop the testing requirements. Will be interested to see if Royal/Carnival/NCL start by dropping the pre-cruise testing but still requiring vaccination especially on the 3/4 day cruises to the Bahamas.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mtempelaar said:

My husband and I got covid in mid 2020.  Neither of us are the same for taste or smell, both were in an out of the ER multiple times and and I was admitted for an overnight.  I was on zero daily meds before Covid.  After is a pile of different meds, including Covid induced diabetes.  I never feel really ok.  I am exhausted 100% of the time, nerve pain is bad, and neurologic issues.   

We are going on a Celebrity cruise in Nov.  I deliberately booked a suite where if there was any hint that *maybe* something was up, we could comfortably isolate until knowing for sure and calling the medical center.  We will mask if needed to depending on status of Covid in the world at the time and on the ship.  We will be limiting ourselves going onshore - no shore excursions (will not get on a bus!), limited time and we will watch status of each island and make decision for each one night before.  

Can we prevent ourselves from getting covid again?  No.  But can we reduce risks for ourselves and others?  Absolutely yes.  It's the same with testing - I don't *want* the testing requirement, because it's a pain to deal with and stressful, but I would rather have the piece of mind that it provides - reduced risk of catching it.  It does not eliminate the risk, but the reduction of risk is substantial.  So I will get my test if required, and I will be bringing enough home tests for both of us to test in cabin as needed, whenever needed.

So sorry you have those issues from covid. Do you avoid people and places at home too?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cwtravel said:

Since The Bahamas no longer requires a negative test it is easy for Virgin to drop the testing requirements. Will be interested to see if Royal/Carnival/NCL start by dropping the pre-cruise testing but still requiring vaccination especially on the 3/4 day cruises to the Bahamas.

We can hope... An extension of that would be seeing the big 3 change their ports to ones that do not require testing, just so they can avoid it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rudeney said:

The problem is, in this day and time, our scientists have turned themselves in politicians and celebrities.

I think a bigger problem is that the politicians seem to think they know more than the scientists. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mndity said:

It's too bad that everyone who can get the vaccine get the vaccine.  The world has dealt with other viruses that have been basically been eliminated by vaccines.  

Main point I have on this is that these vaccines do not stop transmission so will not lead to elimination of Covid.  I am NOT an anti-vaxxer, I an vaccinated and boosted, but have still had Covid twice (Delta and Omicron). 

People should get vaccinated to help improve their risk against serious disease (in my opinion, but each has to make own choices).  However, I don't think anyone can expect that this disease can be eradicated by vaccine, at least the ones we have available today. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, babyblue78 said:

People should get vaccinated to help improve their risk against serious disease (in my opinion, but each has to make own choices).  However, I don't think anyone can expect that this disease can be eradicated by vaccine, at least the ones we have available today. 

I think we probably wouldn't be dealing with the strains we are today if enough people had done what was necessary and got vaccinated early on. But we will never know for sure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, wingatesl said:

change their ports

Genuinely curious- how does a major cruise line simply change their ports when the shore excursion and tourism infrastructure for 4,000 people doesn't exist at many ports?