Husband is worried about quarantine

zitsky

On 7/20/2022 at 6:45 PM, Jim_Iain said:

With no reference to time frame it could very well be true.   Probably for the first 6-9 months when Celebrity resumed cruising,  If tested positive you were put off the ship at the next port isolated and flown back to your home via private jet.   You can imagine how expensive this was but was probably necessary to get people back on their ships.   That protocol was ended and various changes have replaced it.   

Friends that were disembarked after testing positive for Covid were told that since they came to the infirmary as the result of a fall, they should be seen at a hospital.   they weren’t flown home. They were left on their own to find their own way home. That was on July 4th. With all the work stoppages and flight cancellations, they have been stuck in Norway trying to get home.  They are  booked on a flight tomorrow, July 22.  Hope it isn’t canceled.  Flying from Europe to USA is risky.  It may be more of a issue than covid. 

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Friends that were disembarked after testing positive for Covid were told that since they came to the infirmary as the result of a fall, they should be seen at a hospital.   they weren’t flown home. They were left on their own to find their own way home. That was on July 4th. With all the work stoppages and flight cancellations, they have been stuck in Norway trying to get home.  They are  booked on a flight tomorrow, July 22.  Hope it isn’t canceled.  Flying from Europe to USA is risky.  It may be more of a issue than covid. 

A great example of why you should never travel without travel insurance - everything you described would be covered by ours - hospital, hotels, return flights etc.

• Like 3

On 7/20/2022 at 10:17 PM, canderson said:

That was delta, pre-vaccination, where large numbers were presenting with symptoms and therefore many cases were pretty obvious.  This is omicron with a fully vaccinated load of pax.  I'd venture to say they already have a heck of a lot more asymptomatic cases aboard by the end of a cruise than they'd ever want to 'know' about.

That's a valid point. At the same time. Celebrity skews towards an older crowd which I'm thinking (,perhaps incorrectly) makes it less likely that there are many asymptomatic cases. I believe there are a good number that won't self-report. But there were enough to push most ships into orange status when that was a thing. I know it didnt take many to reach that level.  I think though that the big issue is the media. At any hint of a decent sized breakout the media will go bonkers again and make it seem like the world is ending. That's the real issue I think.

9 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

That's a valid point. At the same time. Celebrity skews towards an older crowd which I'm thinking (,perhaps incorrectly) makes it less likely that there are many asymptomatic cases. I believe there are a good number that won't self-report. But there were enough to push most ships into orange status when that was a thing. I know it didnt take many to reach that level.  I think though that the big issue is the media. At any hint of a decent sized breakout the media will go bonkers again and make it seem like the world is ending. That's the real issue I think.

On both our May cruises on Silhouette the announced cases reached over 3% resulting in masks bring reintroduced in many indoor venues. Just relax, go with the flow, expect changes and enjoy the cruise.

On 7/20/2022 at 1:31 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

Just be antisocial like us and treat everyone as if they have cooties and he’ll be fine and won’t have to worry about being quarantined. We do. 😂

But when doing so, treat it like a game so you can be in sync with each other while doing it. When going to the dining room when it first opens, ask to be seated away from other people. When going to the theater, find out of the way places on the second and third levels to sit and watch the show where people can’t sit behind you. When the hallways are crowded and you need to get from one end of the ship to the other, either use the partial promenade walkways outside, or go up a few flights of stairs and use the cabin hallways to get to the other end.

And, of course, only use the elevators when absolutely necessary and always wear your mask, like after eating and you have to go up 4+ flights of stairs. But if you have to use an elevator and there are 4+ people already in it, take the next one, or a group decides to get on at an in-between floor, get off and walk the rest of the way up. And of course make sure you book at least a balcony, preferably on the side of the ship that has the most shade base on the map of the itinerary, and don’t forget the aft-facing cabins if they’re still available. This way you can enjoy your downtimes on your balcony rather than hanging out in the crowded public areas.

We have cruised over 100 days since cruising started back up, including four B2Bs and have avoided testing positive while on a cruise so far. Knock on wood as we’re on a B3B right now, which is almost done, and are booked on another B2B in a few weeks. 😁

I know this strategy sounds extreme, but we love to cruise and will do what we feel is necessary to stay safe. And, yes, we have no issues wearing a mask in crowded areas as most folks we are finding don’t wear them anymore. On the Med cruise we’re on right now, maybe 5% wear a mask when going to a show or while on an excursion bus. Of course, that’s why we always mask up and sit in the back of the bus when we’re on a tour.

But, anyway, hope this helps.

I love all of this. It sounds like the strategies we were coming up with ourselves, but even better, and great to hear the personal experience and advice. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 2:23 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

We’re currently on the Princess Regal in the Med on a B3B. As are others, I’m always curious about how many passengers weren’t able to make it to the ship on their scheduled embarkation day, especially since cruising started back up.

So I checked with the Regal Guest Services the day before we arrived in Athens and there were 3,339 “booked” on the Athens to Barcelona leg (which we’re now currently on). I checked again with GS  the day after embarkation while anchored in Santorini, and there are 3,261 that are actually onboard. So for one reason or another, to include testing positive on a C19 test, 78 passengers didn’t board in Athens (according to Guest Services).

I think I’ll do the same thing on our upcoming Greenland/Iceland B2B on the Summit in a few weeks just to see what the difference might be. Of course, I won’t know the “why”, but at least it will be interesting to see if there is a significant count difference.

Data! It's so alluring. Well done! Seriously, I love when folks geek out on the numbers, whatever they are numbers of. 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2022 at 2:50 AM, the penguins said:

A great example of why you should never travel without travel insurance - everything you described would be covered by ours - hospital, hotels, return flights etc.

They have travel insurance. They didn’t make it home on July 22.  Plane was delayed. They missed a connection in Frankfurt. No seats on any plane for the next 2 days going to their destination in USA.  Today they are trying to get on a plane going to an alternate airport about 100 miles north of their destination. 

14 minutes ago, davekathy said:

No problem then. Isn't that what Celebrity hands us (or use to) when we first board the ship. 🥂

Oh boy it just gets worse.  No.  Celebrity sparkling comes from Oklahoma.  What a question.

If you’re lucky it might come from Pennsylvania. There is some decent wine there.

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

They have travel insurance. They didn’t make it home on July 22.  Plane was delayed. They missed a connection in Frankfurt. No seats on any plane for the next 2 days going to their destination in USA.  Today they are trying to get on a plane going to an alternate airport about 100 miles north of their destination. 

Sorry your original post said they were left to make their own arrangements now you say they had insurance. If they had insurance they were not "left on their own to find their own way home". Flight delays and cancellations are nothing new. After being discharged from hospital in LA we had problems getting onward flights to Auckland. All sorted by our insurance along with the extra hotel night that was needed. 

59 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Sorry your original post said they were left to make their own arrangements now you say they had insurance. If they had insurance they were not "left on their own to find their own way home". Flight delays and cancellations are nothing new. After being discharged from hospital in LA we had problems getting onward flights to Auckland. All sorted by our insurance along with the extra hotel night that was needed. 

Insurance may reimburse you but it doesn't make travel arrangements for you, at least none that I know of. I'm expecting that's what they meant 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, the penguins said:

They had to make their own arrangements and reservations.  Travel insurance will cover expenses. It doesn’t cover the extra time that they were in Europe.  Disembarked with a positive Covid test on July 4th.  Not sure if it was Covid. Finally got a flight today, July 23rd. My point is that testing positive for Covid may leave you stranded. Cruise lines may or may not help you. Don’t count on getting help. You should be worried about testing positive for Covid. It can interfere with your life.

Edited by Redtravel
Added info

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

They had to make their own arrangements and reservations.  Travel insurance will cover expenses. It doesn’t cover the extra time that they were in Europe.  Disembarked with a positive Covid test on July 4th.  Not sure if it was Covid. Finally got a flight today, July 23rd. My point is that testing positive for Covid may leave you stranded. Cruise lines may or may not help you. Don’t count on getting help. You should be worried about testing positive for Covid. It can interfere with your life.

My point is everyone should have travel insurance that covers all the costs you state, and which makes all the necessary travel and accommodation arrangements for you - ours does exactly that. What you describe as " interfering with your life" has nothing to do with Covid. Having your return delayed, for example by breaking a leg, having to have emergency hospital treatment etc, is and always will be an inherent risk in travelling. 

6 hours ago, the penguins said:

and which makes all the necessary travel and accommodation arrangements for you - ours does exactly that

Insurance companies are not travel professionals. In addition, the insurer would likely provide travel and accommodation arrangements that are in their best interests, not mine. I have no interest in this "benefit". I would prefer they simply pay for it after I put in a claim.

On 7/22/2022 at 2:47 PM, phoenix_dream said:

They had a significant breakout in Australia.   Over 100 cases quoted in Aussie news.  Not even reported here.  Think the media is tried of reporting on covid.

24 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Insurance companies are not travel professionals. In addition, the insurer would likely provide travel and accommodation arrangements that are in their best interests, not mine. I have no interest in this "benefit". I would prefer they simply pay for it after I put in a claim.

Rich - there are all sorts of insurance and different companies handle things differently.   Overseas mine asks for a notification if hospitalized.   They then reviewed our $$ responsibility and had an outside firm get it touch with the hospital and my wife asking about necessary arrangements.   We told then what we wanted and they put it in place.  Easy and prompt service and this is a Medicare Advantage PPO.   And yes there was a large deductible before their coverage kicked in.

Different policies definitely cover different things. I use Travel Insured through USAA - they provide coverage for hotel for a doctor-ordered bedrest or quarantine as well as have a number to call to help with arrangements for flights, etc. They won't pay, but some are willing to facilitate, and sometimes even advance the cost of what they will cover.  They also have tiers for minimal, standard, and deluxe (my terms). I tend to go with Deluxe for cruises because if luggage goes missing or there is a travel delay, I want maximum reimbursement.

I've noticed coverage prices have gone up substantially since the pandemic, but my policy covers anything I would want it to at a price level I'm comfortable with for the security.  The standard policy is also quite reasonable, and probably comparable to a cruise line's policy except for the choice between refund or credit.

Also, many companies and some pension funds provide Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs) to their participants, whether retired or active (mine does), which could also help with arrangements.  Personally, I would prefer to deal with the airlines directly or get my travel agent to help. I figure there is much less lost in translation (Not literally, well maybe) that way.

In the era of COVID, I try to always have a Plan B in mind, or at least know what steps I will take and what tools I will have if something happens. 

52 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Rich - there are all sorts of insurance and different companies handle things differently.   Overseas mine asks for a notification if hospitalized. 

Totally agree re: hospitalization. But I would, and did, make my own travel arrangements due to a positive covid test overseas and put in the trip delay claim after returning home.

On 7/19/2022 at 7:20 AM, carolina_yankee said:

....I think the best way to ease anxiety is both to be aware of the risk of quarantine, which is actually quite low, and also to have a Plan B in case it happens. ....

To which I'd add, have good insurance just in case....which I suppose is a plan B, eh?😉

Doug

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 9:02 AM, JFontaine said:

I would ask to stay in my cabin in a nice way, and continue to ask and not be dragged away.  Mental health is just as important as anything else. 

I tried this.  My husband tried this.  No dice.  If the ship's protocol is to move you, no amount of begging will help.

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

Totally agree re: hospitalization. But I would, and did, make my own travel arrangements due to a positive covid test overseas and put in the trip delay claim after returning home.

As you can see lots of variables. We have annual travel insurance which covers us for an unlimited number of trips worldwide in a year provided each trip is no longer than 30 days. Extra days at a premium..We are both over 75 with pre existing health issues all of which are covered. The company has its own appointed travel agency. One number accesses all services. All costs met direct no prepayment required. Policy covers cancellation, medical, flights, baggage even mobile phones (and in the UK and Europe car breakdown cover). Total cost for 2 people approx 💲325 for the year.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 10:45 AM, zitsky said:

Thanks for the replies.  He is a smart guy but sometimes smart people are hard to reason with.  It’s like people who are afraid of spiders.

I’ll review the Celebrity protocols.  Thanks for the info about isolating.  I may develop a severe case of claustrophobia if we come down with Covid.

Is it true that Celebrity moves you to a suite if you are in isolation?  😂

I will try to have some what if scenarios.

No way does X move you to a suite for isolation!  From what I am reading on CC,  you get an Oceanview Cabin.