Bag Lunch on Port Days?

gerif: I understand what you are saying about smuggling as far as that some people get caught and some don't, just like with hard liquor. But the difference, of course, is that smuggling on hard liquor doesn't have the possibility of destroying an ecosystem (just RCI's eco-bottom-line). I know you were only comparing the some get caught/some don't to booze, but still it's not the same issue at all.

To all of you who knowingly and consistently do and plan to smuggle fresh food off the ship: Please don't visit California. We have enough problems with invasive pests as it is. We don't need your willful disregard for our ecosystem and economy. It's just unbelievable! (And to CA residents who do this--double shame; you know what breaking these laws can do. Come to think of it, that also applies to pax from Florida and Hawaii and probably just about every state...almost all of which have dealt with destructive, non-native flora and fauna at some point or another.)

beachchick

I would go further and say that the cruise lines should not be bringing food to the so called private islands and especially Labadee. It make no sence, anyone else would be breaking the law, they get away with under the guise of helping the poor local economy by paying rents and employing locals. At these stops they should have food on-board only and not be bringing smorgasbords to foreign soils, which the locals working there also eat and the garbage is left for local disposal (probably dumped in the ocean).

A bad senario: In Fl. we have citrus canker, the hurricanes have blown the disease everywhere so the State this year has quit fighting it. MOS gets it's provisions from PC, and takes fruit/oranges on-shore to both Coco-cay and Labadee. Canker could easily infect the Bahamas, Haiti, & the Dominican Republic all because of a BBQ lunch.

gerif: I understand what you are saying about smuggling as far as that some people get caught and some don't, just like with hard liquor. But the difference, of course, is that smuggling on hard liquor doesn't have the possibility of destroying an ecosystem (just RCI's eco-bottom-line). I know you were only comparing the some get caught/some don't to booze, but still it's not the same issue at all.

Yes, of course, beachchick - I fully understand that they are not the same issue - just some people keep insisting "well, we did it and got away with it." Doesn't mean you will next time and doesn't mean it is right. Smuggling booze only hurts RCCL's economy - smuggling food can destroy a country's ecosystem.

Maybe they could extend the "bagged lunch" concept to debarkation day so you would have something for lunch on the way home. :rolleyes:

Les

I'm with Les!!!! If I bring a big enough rolling cooler for my smuggled booze and the start of my cruise, I should have room for enough sanwiches to last me a couple of weeks!! ;) :rolleyes:

GIVE ME A BREAK!! BTW, love the ecosystem concern angle of the conversation! It's almost as worthless as the "don't want to interupt my fun at the beach to find food" angle! GEEEZ!

Here's my two cents: If you want to only eat the ship's food >>>> STAY ON THE SHIP!! If you get off the ship, then pack a candy bar......OR, God Forbid crack the pad lock on your wallet / purse and buy something to eat!

To those that insist on bringing food ashore:

Do you not eat enough food on the ship that you can't go a couple hours without eating something else? Do you have to eat something while off the ship? Will you starve to death without that sandwich that you snuck off the ship? If you feel that buying food off the ship is too expensive - then do without. You aren't going to be stranded on the island for several days. No wonder Americans are obese, can't do without snacks or food for a couple hours.

I'm with Les!!!! If I bring a big enough rolling cooler for my smuggled booze and the start of my cruise, I should have room for enough sanwiches to last me a couple of weeks!! ;) :rolleyes:

GIVE ME A BREAK!! BTW, love the ecosystem concern angle of the conversation! It's almost as worthless as the "don't want to interupt my fun at the beach to find food" angle! GEEEZ!

Here's my two cents: If you want to only eat the ship's food >>>> STAY ON THE SHIP!! If you get off the ship, then pack a candy bar......OR, God Forbid crack the pad lock on your wallet / purse and buy something to eat!

That is the post of the year...very well put, PLTAG! :)

Do you not eat enough food on the ship that you can't go a couple hours without eating something else? Do you have to eat something while off the ship? Will you starve to death without that sandwich that you snuck off the ship? If you feel that buying food off the ship is too expensive - then do without. You aren't going to be stranded on the island for several days. No wonder Americans are obese, can't do without snacks or food for a couple hours.

I'm not American nor am I obese. And yes, while I'm on vacation, I like to spoil myself and do, eat, see, not see, whatever the heck I want without other people telling me whether I should or shouldn't be doing this.

I never have brought food ashore nor did I know it was illegal when I started this thread. Now that I know its illegal I won't be doing it but my goodness, do you people really think I'm a bad person because I want to do what I want to do while on my hard earned and seldom taken vacation? Honestly? Just because I want to eat a sandwich on a beach?

I'm done with this thread.

And for the answer from Royal Caribbean. As I sat in the lounge this morning waiting to be cleared by the port authorities in Costa Rica, we got a long lecture on how we are NOT allowed to bring food items off in any port, this includes, fruit, vegetables, meat, and coffee. There were notices in the Compass as well about how it was illegal to take items off in the ports. I didn't see it but apparently, tendering was delayed yesterday in the Panama Canal as they had to remove items from people's bags (I was one of the 1st people off the ship). There were large trash cans available to throw stuff away as we got off the ship this morning.

Now, they did say bottled water, and canned drinks, and prepackaged snacks were allowed.

Clark, I sortof agree with you, but my excursion today lasted 12 hours. Most people can't last that long without serious health problems. But a large lunch was provided on the tour.

Does anyone know what the laws are for Alaska? We have scheduled back to back 3 hour long excursions in Alaska so there will be no lunch served during the excursion. I'm afraid that we also will not have time to eat an overpriced burger in the crowded tourist trap restaurants that are abundant in these ports. What do you suggest we do?

Don't know what their laws are specifically - you could ask on the ship, however. In any event, I would bring some granola bars/packaged trail mix/packaged peanut butter crackers and the like just in case. You could also grab a couple of boxes of Cheerios from the breakfast buffet. Anything prepackaged is fine to take.

I got the following E-mail from CDeJongh@CURACAO.COM:

"Hi *******:

Unfortunately, it is not possible! The same US customs reasons apply on the Island of Curacao.

There are many great restaurants on the Island. Inexpensive and also Top ones.

Try our native cuisine, you'll love it."

Conversely, I received the following E-mail from St. Maarten Tourist Office [info@st-maarten.com]:

"As far as we know, there are no restrictions on bringing food into St. Maarten."

I did see on one Aruba site that Aruba is one of only three Carribean islands that has US customs on the island, allowing flights originating from Aruba to enter the US as domestic flights.

Enter (with food) at your own risk.

One of the great things about cruising is the chance to see a little of different cultures. The short time we get to spend at these ports gives only a glimpse so we actually try to seek out some of the local food as it can tell a lot. I don't jump out of perfectly good airplanes nor race trains to the crossing but I do enjoy life. I figure if the local food kills me, it was just my time to go.

The following is not a flame but only my honest opinion. With the cost of cruising compared to most other forms of vacations, I feel I get my money's worth even if I missed an included meal or two. Rock climbing is included in the fare too, but you won't find me up there. So are classes on the likes of napkin folding. I think I'll pass and not feel I'll be cheated.

But that's just me. It would be a very boring life if we all thought and felt alike.

Our bags were inspected for food (by Mexican authorities on the pier) in Mexico last week - both in Cabo and Puerta Vallarta.

It's really not worth it to bring fresh food - I always grab a box or two of granola from the Windjammer in the AM (those little ones) and toss those in my beach bag.

But we had some terrific meals for little dinero in both places. Yum! One of the highlights of the trip!

We took an excursion on Monday to the Mayan Ruins. The excursion ran from 7am till around 1:30pm and lunch was provided by RCCL on the bus ride back. It wasn't too bad...tunafish sandwich, chips, cookie, fruit cup and blueberry muffin. I've had worse...believe me.

Does anyone know what the laws are for Alaska? We have scheduled back to back 3 hour long excursions in Alaska so there will be no lunch served during the excursion. I'm afraid that we also will not have time to eat an overpriced burger in the crowded tourist trap restaurants that are abundant in these ports. What do you suggest we do?

Don't know what the laws are, but try the fish in the ports. Their halibut is awesome and the salmon better than most restaurants I've eaten at. I would only eat a burger if it was buffalo, alligator or something else not at home.

One of the great things about cruising is the chance to see a little of different cultures. The short time we get to spend at these ports gives only a glimpse so we actually try to seek out some of the local food as it can tell a lot. I don't jump out of perfectly good airplanes nor race trains to the crossing but I do enjoy life. I figure if the local food kills me, it was just my time to go.

The following is not a flame but only my honest opinion. With the cost of cruising compared to most other forms of vacations, I feel I get my money's worth even if I missed an included meal or two. Rock climbing is included in the fare too, but you won't find me up there. So are classes on the likes of napkin folding. I think I'll pass and not feel I'll be cheated.

But that's just me. It would be a very boring life if we all thought and felt alike.

DAYUM, RNE! If you keep on being LOGICAL like this, and making so much sense, you are going to KILL the *vibe* of the message boards! ;) ;)

Archived