Transatlantic to Spain-March 2023-Vaccinations

Wy wife and I are considering the transatlantic cruise from Miami to Barcelona on March 9, 2023. I just read that Spain requires COVID-19 vaccinations to be up to date meaning your last one has to be within 270 days of arrival in Spain. I have my vaccinations up to date as of now. I have no desire to get another booster shot which based on the current requirements will be needed between now and arrival in Spain in March 2023 . No way. No how. This is making me hesitate booking this cruise not knowing if these requirements may change by March 2023 which will be 3 years since the epidemic began.

I am just looking for comments and opinions (not political) regarding this.

Thank you.

• Haha 1

I think we are seeing a trend away from testing (an exercise in futility) and possibly vaccinations, which now don't seem to matter based on Biden (four times vaxxed) getting COVID. The "science" has morphed so much that no expert can make any statement with certainty anymore. 

I have been following the opinions of people who have been shut down for the past three years. It appears that their cautionary statement now are shown to be accurate. I have a very close relative who is an MD and refuses to vaccinate his children and now what he has been worrying has now been exposed as accurate.  Still, this morning, on the mainstream news, I heard a newscaster say that "Responsible children protect their children with COVID vaccines. It seems some are holding onto this thinking. Check out what Dr. Deborah Birx just said.DR. BIRX: I knew these vaccines were not going to protect against infection. And I think we overplayed the vaccines, and it made people then worry that it's not going to protect against severe disease and hospitalization. It will. But let's be very clear: 50% of the people who died from the Omicron surge were older, vaccinated. So that's why I'm saying even if you're vaccinated and boosted, if you're unvaccinated right now, the key is testing and Paxlovid. It's effective. It's a great antiviral. And really, that is what's going to save your lives right now if you're over 70, which if you look at the hospitalizations, hospitalizations are rising steadily with new admissions, particularly in those over 70. 

If you're not going to get another shot, then your choices are:

1) Book with a refundable deposit.  If the vax requirement stays in place, you can cancel and get your money back.

2) Book with a non refundable deposit.  If the vax requirement stays in place, you lose the money if you cancel.

3) Don't book the trip.

No one can say what the requirements will be for ANY country a month from now much less eight.  

• Like 3

I believe the 270 day requirement relates to the last of the two initial vaccine doses. If you have had a later booster dose the time limit no longer applies. You should certainly check this to make sure.

Spain just cancelled all entry requirements for all EU and Schengen citizens, so things are rapidly changing.

Enjoy your trip. We are taking a TA from Ft.L. to Rome on Apr.22.

50 minutes ago, flannbarr said:

Wy wife and I are considering the transatlantic cruise from Miami to Barcelona on March 9, 2023. I just read that Spain requires COVID-19 vaccinations to be up to date meaning your last one has to be within 270 days of arrival in Spain. I have my vaccinations up to date as of now. I have no desire to get another booster shot which based on the current requirements will be needed between now and arrival in Spain in March 2023 . No way. No how. This is making me hesitate booking this cruise not knowing if these requirements may change by March 2023 which will be 3 years since the epidemic began.

Thank you.

Just to be clear - you know the regulations for this trip and you have no intention to comply with them. So the obvious answer is to not book the cruise.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, flamingos said:

Just to be clear - you know the regulations for this trip and you have no intention to comply with them. So the obvious answer is to not book the cruise.

Exactly 

Right or Wrong, we have no choice but to comply with requirements of cruise line (directly or indirectly due to the requirements of ports on the trip).

It is quite likely that requirements will be relaxed (hopefully) or tightened (hope not).   

If current requirements are not of your likings and you are hell bent on not complying then obvious answer is do not book until you get favorable results - either with regulations or with your personal stand 

What else you expected this community to say? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I think we are seeing a trend away from testing (an exercise in futility) and possibly vaccinations, which now don't seem to matter based on Biden (four times vaxxed) getting COVID. The "science" has morphed so much that no expert can make any statement with certainty anymore. 

I have been following the opinions of people who have been shut down for the past three years. It appears that their cautionary statement now are shown to be accurate. I have a very close relative who is an MD and refuses to vaccinate his children and now what he has been worrying has now been exposed as accurate.  Still, this morning, on the mainstream news, I heard a newscaster say that "Responsible children protect their children with COVID vaccines. It seems some are holding onto this thinking. Check out what Dr. Deborah Birx just said.DR. BIRX: I knew these vaccines were not going to protect against infection. And I think we overplayed the vaccines, and it made people then worry that it's not going to protect against severe disease and hospitalization. It will. But let's be very clear: 50% of the people who died from the Omicron surge were older, vaccinated. So that's why I'm saying even if you're vaccinated and boosted, if you're unvaccinated right now, the key is testing and Paxlovid. It's effective. It's a great antiviral. And really, that is what's going to save your lives right now if you're over 70, which if you look at the hospitalizations, hospitalizations are rising steadily with new admissions, particularly in those over 70. 

But Biden didn't require hospitalization, as did the previous occupant of the WH.  So vaccines are effective.  Not everyone can take Paxlovid, due to other interactions with other medications (blood thinners, to be one).  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jerseygirl3 said:

But Biden didn't require hospitalization, as did the previous occupant of the WH.  So vaccines are effective.  Not everyone can take Paxlovid, due to other interactions with other medications (blood thinners, to be one).  

Hasn't the virus changed?  How do you KNOW the vaccine prevented the need for hospitalization vs the virus effects weakening (as virus do as they evolve)?

Right now, you don't need anything to enter Italy from the U.S., so I suspect Spain will come to its senses sooner rather than later.  

• Starting from June 1, 2022, travelers to Italy will no longer be required to show the Green pass (i.e. Anti-COVID 19 vaccination certificate or recovery certificate, or a negative swab test) to enter Italy and are not subject to quarantine upon arrival to Italy if they do not possess the Green pass.

2 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Not exactly. The strain of COVID going around when Trump got it was much more serious and the hospitalization and death rates were much higher. You can't compare. The antivirals and COVID medications today are superior to what was available then.  

57 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Right now, you don't need anything to enter Italy from the U.S., so I suspect Spain will come to its senses sooner rather than later. 

And if they don't?  He won't cruise, and possibly will lost money.

7 hours ago, flannbarr said:

Thank you.

There are no guarantees on even cruises departing next month let alone next year. We are booked TA on Princess in March 23. Just book it and relax.

This seems like an easy one.  If you book hoping they change, make sure you cancel without penalty (refundable rate) and realize things can change at any time meaning you could be denied a week before and be out of luck (and lose your money).  

If you don’t want another shot (and I sure don’t blame you on that), probably don’t book the trip.  Pick something else where there is more certainty in your ability to go.  Why stress?   Just do something else or get a booster.  This would be an easy choice for me.  I too have no desire to get another shot as things stand now.  I’m not willing to say never, not certainly not in the current situation.  

• Like 1