Daughter-in-law had a baby now less than 6 months...

Thought I would throw this out to the group.  Maybe there is something I haven't thought of.  Can I change all three names on the cabin or just...???

I booked my family on an Anthem 70th birthday cruise in November 2022 in three cabins.  It was booked March 2021, but doesn't qualify for CWC.

My new granddaughter missed the RCI 6 month cutoff by 3 weeks.  So now one family can't go in their JS.  Final payment is due August 1st.  It looks like I stand to lose my $750 JS deposit.  

I'm on Jewel right now which just makes it harder to talk with my TA.  It's just very annoying that RCI has canceled a dozen of my cruises over the past 2 1/2 years!

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

At least one of the names has to stay.

Have there been cases where one name was left .. and then later a second change of names where the remaining name changed? Seems like before covid I read this happened.

In this case probably no if final payment due by next monday. Not enough time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

and then later a second change of names where the remaining name changed? Seems like before covid I read this happened.

Other than the ship having to sail on water, there seem to be no absolutes with any RCI rules. Someone will cite an exception somehow.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Have there been cases where one name was left .. and then later a second change of names where the remaining name changed? Seems like before covid I read this happened.

In this case probably no if final payment due by next monday. Not enough time.

Yeah it's all last minute.  My son and older granddaughter don't want to go without mommy; understandable.

Bargain of the century, 7 days, 3 passengers in a JS for $2,400!

3 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Yeah, the final payment date forced the issue.  Plus the baby might have been born before the the six month cutoff.  Newest is only 1 1/2 months old.  It's was all booked before she got pregnant.

Is there any chance that the three of them would sail without their five month old baby, if you paid for a nanny to take care of the baby at home?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Another_Critic said:

"It was booked March 2021, but doesn't qualify for CWC.

My new granddaughter missed the RCI 6 month cutoff by 3 weeks."

Baby didn't exist when it was booked.

My pt which the op understood was they knew about the baby before this week. I didnt say they knew about it when he booked I said before right NOW. I still bet if it was that couples money not someone else's the cancelling couplemwould have been a little more forth coming before a few days before final payment.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

My pt which the op understood was they knew about the baby before this week. I didnt say they knew about it when he booked I said before right NOW. I still bet if it was that couples money not someone else's the cancelling couplemwould have been a little more forth coming before a few days before final payment.

Not a problem.  I should have explained they are family.  My son.

3 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Is there any chance that the three of them would sail without their five month old baby, if you paid for a nanny to take care of the baby at home?

My wife, Grandma, even offered to stay behind.  No go.

Baby is brand new.  They may change their mind by November, but then I would lose even more money.

57 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

At least one of the names has to stay.

My travel agent solved this for us for our recent cruise, so that one name was left, new names added, and the original name we left on was a no-show. Worked for us, but I’m not sure it is in the rules

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, October17 said:

My travel agent solved this for us for our recent cruise, so that one name was left, new names added, and the original name we left on was a no-show. Worked for us, but I’m not sure it is in the rules

True, unlikely RCI will do anything once they are on board when the third person (original) on the booking is the no show.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

ave there been cases where one name was left .. and then later a second change of names where the remaining name changed?

No.  As biker stated, one name must remain.  You cannot skirt the system like that

Edited by Ourusualbeach

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

True, unlikely RCI will pull someone off the ship after they are on board when the third person (original) on the booking is the no show.

The problem is there are 2 adults and one (free) child on the reservation.

RCI would resell that JS and make even more money.

5 minutes ago, October17 said:

That can be done and has been many times in the past.

• Like 2

Just now, steveru621 said:

Remove the child first, then cancel the booking and you will have a $100pp penalty and the rest issued as a FCC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the point, certainly moot by now, is that when the DIL became pregnant the due date should have at least raised the possibility that the baby wouldn’t be old enough by the sail date.  If not then, when she was born 2+ months ago, it would have been clear.   Now, with final payment due next week and OP on a cruise, is kinda late to be dealing with the issue.  
OP, hope you are able to find a solution.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Based on your daughter becoming pregnant after the cruise was booked you may find a sympathetic agent who will issue you a FCC without any penalties applied.  I would have your TA explore this route.  I know I would.  I have found Royal to be accommodating in exceptional circumstances

3 minutes ago, poocher said:

I think the point, certainly moot by now, is that when the DIL became pregnant the due date should have at least raised the possibility that the baby wouldn’t be old enough by the sail date.  If not then, when she was born 2+ months ago, it would have been clear.   Now, with final payment due next week and OP on a cruise, is kinda late to be dealing with the issue.  
OP, hope you are able to find a solution.

Very true.  It's just that nothing had to be done until now.  The penalty remains the same.

We always thought one parent would stay home.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Based on your daughter becoming pregnant after the cruise was booked you may find a sympathetic agent who will issue you a FCC without any penalties applied.  I would have your TA explore this route.  I know I would.  I have found Royal to be accommodating in exceptional circumstances

That's the current plan.  I'm not looking for a refund, just not a $750 loss.  FCC would be the best outcome.

I'm just looking for alternatives, and call my TA to start the what I hope would be a negotiation.

Right now we are looking maybe to transfer this one reservation to a new date.  The problem here is there is no way to match that JS price.  The changed date would cost us even more money.

Oh well...

2 hours ago, steveru621 said:

That's what I thought.  It's only easy for RCI to cancel not the passenger.

To be fair if you booked a non-refundable deposit you did get what you agreed to.   JS are available with a refundable deposit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, steveru621 said:

I'm on Jewel right now which just makes it harder to talk with my TA.  It's just very annoying that RCI has canceled a dozen of my cruises over the past 2 1/2 years!

Go talk to Next Cruise and see if they can help.  

We had the same issue many years ago, but as soon as I knew the DIL was pregnant I had my TA work with RCCL and we were able to get refunds for all seven cabins I had booked.  Baby granddaughter would have only been two months old when we sailed, so it was off to Club Med instead.  

• Like 1