Need basic info on how to use tele-testing

dawei

Having never used Zoom, Hangouts, etc., I'm not computer literate re: online video chatting. Would you tell me how to use a service such as Onpoint Testing or Testandtrace? For example, Onpoint's short video indicates one needs only access to the internet and a device to connect, but what must I do to actually make the video connection, once I've paid and have an appointment? 

I must admit it is a little embarrassing to ask such a basic question, but there it is.

David

Go to You Tube and search for how to do a Covid test. Several people have posted step by step videos of how to do such a test. I have used the Abbot Binax test a couple of times. It is actually quite easy. You will be led through it by a monitor. Just follow his instructions.  

We used OnPoint testing.  After you pay, you will get a link to register.  Go to that website and put in your information.  It will ask for insurance information, but since you are not doing an in person test, just click where it says something like client pay or self pay.  (You won't be paying anything additional)  You can test up to 4 people per session, but you will need to register each one separately.  Just go back to the email you got with the link and repeat the process for each person. You will receive a confirmation number for each person you register.  You will also receive a zoom link for your appointment.  Just click on that when it is time for your appointment.  They will ask for each person's confirmation number first and then proceed.  Make sure your test kit is sealed and they will walk you thru everything.  After you finish your session, you will receive an email with a pdf for each person tested showing the results.   

Edited by QueenofEverything
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We used Total Testing Solutions. They use internet based testing, which means you don’t need an app for them to test you. My husband and I both registered, but tested together. We gave them our insurance information and we didn’t have to pay. They send you an email confirmation which has a link. When your test time comes up (I made back-to-back appointments in case it took a long time), just click on the link. We were connected right away. They were very thorough. She watched each one of us open our tests, swab and mix, then pour out our drops. She timed it for 15 minutes for each one of us. During the down time she checked that our email address was correct and chatted. She had made us mark our test indicators with a marker so she knew which belonged to whom. Once she looked at our test, she sent us an email. She stayed on the line until we verified that we had received it with the QR code. It was very easy and very professional. I highly recommend them!

We bought the BinaxNOW Covid-19 Ag test kits online (that is the very specific name for the telehealth version of the Binax test) made by Abbott Labs. When you purchase the kits, the price includes the online test fee; it's built into the cost, so you won't have to pay again.

An affiliated company/service called eMed does the test supervision. Before you take the test, download the Navica app on your smartphone and register. That is where your test result will be sent. When you are ready to take the test, log in on your laptop, iPad, or cell phone to start.emed.com. It's an internet connection, not a phone call. The connection will use the camera on your device. Hint: a laptop is easier because it can be angled to show the table in front of you as you take the test and it has to stay focused on your test for 15 minutes. It is harder to do with an iPad or phone, but not impossible.

You will be connected to a test administrator over the internet; you will hear the administrator but not see them. They will see you, however.  They walk you through the test, including watching you open the test kit, so you must make sure it remains sealed until you start the online session. You will take the test and they will verify that you did it correctly. When you have placed the drops in the cartridge, the administrator will start a 15 minute timer and then they will sign off. However, you must keep your camera focused on the test cartridge the entire time so they know you have not switched it out.  After 15 minutes, another administrator comes on and asks you to hold the cartridge up to the camera so they can see the result. They will verify if the test is positive or negative. Once that is determined, eMed will send an email to you with your results, as well as sending a QR code to your Navica app.

It may sound complicated, but it is in fact super easy (with a laptop.) We have used the tests twice, once at home before departing on a cruise, and once in our hotel in Rome before returning home. It worked flawlessly.

Hope this helps.  Happy to answer any questions.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, NattilyAttired said:

We bought the BinaxNOW Covid-19 Ag test kits online (that is the very specific name for the telehealth version of the Binax test) made by Abbott Labs. When you purchase the kits, the price includes the online test fee; it's built into the cost, so you won't have to pay again.

An affiliated company/service called eMed does the test supervision. Before you take the test, download the Navica app on your smartphone and register. That is where your test result will be sent. When you are ready to take the test, log in on your laptop, iPad, or cell phone to start.emed.com. It's an internet connection, not a phone call. The connection will use the camera on your device. Hint: a laptop is easier because it can be angled to show the table in front of you as you take the test and it has to stay focused on your test for 15 minutes. It is harder to do with an iPad or phone, but not impossible.

We plan on using Binax Now tests on Monday for a Wednesday sailing— one question— can we both do our tests on the same call or will it require a second sign in for the second person? We plan on using a laptop but also have the Navica app installed on my phone. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Cailey53 said:

We plan on using Binax Now tests on Monday for a Wednesday sailing— one question— can we both do our tests on the same call or will it require a second sign in for the second person? We plan on using a laptop but also have the Navica app installed on my phone. Thanks!

We did them back to back on separate calls. I do not believe you can do two tests on one call. It was super easy though; just takes twice as long (about 20 minutes each).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

What is the cost this test?  I assume it includes the test kit

We bought our kits from Optum (www.store.optum.com). We bought a six-kit pack (two going over, two coming home, two in case we made errors) but I do not see that listed now on the site.  I see a two-pack for $69.99, and a 3-pack for $99.99. And yes, the purchase price includes the online test component. Note: The Ag descriptor on the box (Binax NOW Covid-19 Ag Card Home Test) denotes that this is a tele-health test. Binax also has a home test (not labeled Ag) which is cheaper but does not include the tele-health component. Make sure to buy the Ag version if you want the proctored test result for your cruise.

Gray lady and others, But as I've posted this in other threads that are appearing, HAL's rules say you are supposed to use tests that come with medically-monitored services when you purchase the test.  Here is the direct quote from HAL's web site:

"Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to a at-home test) that meets the following criteria:

• Only medically observed self-tests will be accepted. The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Please note, antigen tests are accepted for fully vaccinated guests, but not for unvaccinated guests.
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription. 
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of the acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test."

The HAL site then goes on to list the various places to order tests that include the telehealth monitoring.  So, in theory, these sites that are popping up around the country that offer monitoring of ANY self-test that they have no previous connection with, as in not-affiliated with, are not allowed to be used and be accepted.  It may be that the folks at check-in aren't paying close attention as to what monitoring service is being used for what test, but I'm merely pointing out HAL's written rules.

We all spend a lot of money to travel; we say if you are going to self-test, order the acceptable tests that include monitoring as recommended by the cruise line; is any self-test with a non-affiliated monitor really the place to try to save money? 

Edited by 12cruise2

My DW and I plan to use the Roche free self test kits supplied by our Benevolent Government, and use Azova to conduct and observe us ($20 fee each). We will do this in the hotel the day before we board Noordam in Anchorage/Whittier on 14 August. I did a trial test with them a couple of days ago and it was simple to set up and I got results online immediately after completion of the test.

QUESTION: has anyone used either or both of these - Azova proctoring & Roche kit - before a HAL Cruise? Anything you can share?

1 hour ago, Susanmaz said:

Hating to sound so stupid, but what is needed to have the scanning seen by the proctoring person? Is there something that needs to be downloaded to my tablet? How are we being seen?

It depends on which proctoring service you use. Some have their own apps, some use Zoom or Teams, and some are just web-based, meaning you connect with them on-line. We have done a web-based proctoring service and it was very, very easy.

9 hours ago, What was that? said:

My DW and I plan to use the Roche free self test kits supplied by our Benevolent Government, and use Azova to conduct and observe us ($20 fee each). We will do this in the hotel the day before we board Noordam in Anchorage/Whittier on 14 August. I did a trial test with them a couple of days ago and it was simple to set up and I got results online immediately after completion of the test.

QUESTION: has anyone used either or both of these - Azova proctoring & Roche kit - before a HAL Cruise? Anything you can share?

This has been discussed over numerous threads....it's not clear on HALs website vs what people have actually done and were allowed to board.  If you want to see a detailed discussion check this thread:

On 7/28/2022 at 12:30 PM, NattilyAttired said:

You will be connected to a test administrator over the internet; you will hear the administrator but not see them. They will see you, however.  They walk you through the test, including watching you open the test kit, so you must make sure it remains sealed until you start the online session. You will take the test and they will verify that you did it correctly. When you have placed the drops in the cartridge, the administrator will start a 15 minute timer and then they will sign off. However, you must keep your camera focused on the test cartridge the entire time so they know you have not switched it out.  After 15 minutes, another administrator comes on and asks you to hold the cartridge up to the camera so they can see the result. They will verify if the test is positive or negative. Once that is determined, eMed will send an email to you with your results, as well as sending a QR code to your Navica app.

It may sound complicated, but it is in fact super easy (with a laptop.) We have used the tests twice, once at home before departing on a cruise, and once in our hotel in Rome before returning home. It worked flawlessly.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience in such detail. I have shared it with my roll call members. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 1

We also used onpoint for Oosterdam cruise in July. They witnessed us testing with the free flow tests from Costco. Once you register with them, pay for the test, and select your testing appointment date and time, they email a zoom link. Click on the link and the “host” (onpoint) will “let you into the meeting” at the meeting time. If you log in to zoom a few minutes early, just sit and wait for them to open the meeting. Results emailed to us within 5 minutes of completing appointment, and accepted by VeriFLY and HAL at civitavecchia. 

The results were sent as a pdf file attachment for each traveler so easy to print as well as upload to verifly.

Edited by petepie

4 hours ago, petepie said:

We also used onpoint for Oosterdam cruise in July. They witnessed us testing with the free flow tests from Costco. Once you register with them, pay for the test, and select your testing appointment date and time, they email a zoom link. Click on the link and the “host” (onpoint) will “let you into the meeting” at the meeting time. If you log in to zoom a few minutes early, just sit and wait for them to open the meeting. Results emailed to us within 5 minutes of completing appointment, and accepted by VeriFLY and HAL at civitavecchia. 

The results were sent as a pdf file attachment for each traveler so easy to print as well as upload to verifly.

Are the free flow tests from Costco different than the tests from the government?

On 7/28/2022 at 12:30 PM, NattilyAttired said:

the box the tests come in were crushed in shipping and the little plastic seal on the box popped................the contents are still sealed.  hopefully we can still use these?

1 hour ago, VTcruisenut said:

the box the tests come in were crushed in shipping and the little plastic seal on the box popped................the contents are still sealed.  hopefully we can still use these?

I cannot say unequivocally, but let's hope so. Try to push the box back into shape as best you can before you go online. The proctor will first want you to hold the box up to the camera so they can read the QR code and expiration date on the sleeve, to make sure the test has not expired. Then you can slip off the sleeve and open the box end. Don't mention that the seals were/are broken. Pretend to use a knife or your fingernail to open the seal, then take the contents out. Since the swab, cartridge and solution are all still individually wrapped, you should be fine.

• Like 1