Has anyone brought a satellite radio on a cruise?

cram33

3 minutes ago, cram33 said:

Booked for my first balcony cruise and thinking of bringing my Sirius radio with satellite receiver.  Has this worked for anyone?

Go to the web site of the line you are cruising on and check out the Frequently Asked Questions section.   They will list what you cannot bring on board.   For example, here is from NCL.com:

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

13 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Go to the web site of the line you are cruising on and check out the Frequently Asked Questions section.   They will list what you cannot bring on board.   For example, here is from NCL.com:

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

I'm not asking if I am allowed, asking if the radio will work.

I've listened to Sirius XM using the mobile app on my phone while cruising the Caribbean. I either use my headphones while walking around town or at the beach, or I've used my Bluetooth speaker in my cabin.

• Like 1

If you are on an open deck (with headphones)  you may get reception but on the balcony you are blocked by the metel of the ship

If you want to try it  take it along

DH takes a Am/FM/SW  portable radio on occasion but  goes up on an open deck  to listen to his music/broadcasts

JMO

Depends on where you are traveling to, I guess.  My understanding when I had Sirius was that you could only receive in North America and you had to have an unobstructed southern line of sight.

If, in your case,  both those things are true I don't see why you couldn't get at least some reception.  Can't comment on if it would be good reception.   Even in my house (which wasn't made out of metal and wasn't constantly moving) I sometimes had difficulty.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wcook said:

Map-SpotlightImage.jpg

Where are you going? Also keep in mind it’s at best 50/50 the boat won’t be blocking line-o-site to the satellites. 

Bermuda.  Yeah, was thinking that.  Supposedly we were told our room has no boats blocking us.  But I guess they could be above.  

Edited by cram33

5 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I've listened to Sirius XM using the mobile app on my phone while cruising the Caribbean. I either use my headphones while walking around town or at the beach, or I've used my Bluetooth speaker in my cabin.

The app is my usual method, but I'm not getting the wifi package and of I did it is usually spotty.

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

If you are on an open deck (with headphones)  you may get reception but on the balcony you are blocked by the metel of the ship

If you want to try it  take it along

DH takes a Am/FM/SW  portable radio on occasion but  goes up on an open deck  to listen to his music/broadcasts

JMO

I should be able to reach the sky from the balcony and the antenna has a magnet.

5 hours ago, Blondilu said:

Depends on where you are traveling to, I guess.  My understanding when I had Sirius was that you could only receive in North America and you had to have an unobstructed southern line of sight.

If, in your case,  both those things are true I don't see why you couldn't get at least some reception.  Can't comment on if it would be good reception.   Even in my house (which wasn't made out of metal and wasn't constantly moving) I sometimes had difficulty.

Thanks.  Heading to Bermuda from NJ.  SO it may work.  I have room to pack it and experiment to post results.

15 hours ago, cram33 said:

Thanks.  Heading to Bermuda from NJ.  SO it may work.  I have room to pack it and experiment to post results.

Reception on the balcony will only be possible either going to or coming from Bermuda. Even then, the overhang from the deck above may block the antenna from seeing the satellite..

Have fun experimenting! 

Aloha,

John

You are better off utilizing a music streaming service if it isn't blocked by the ship's network than trying to use a satellite radio because of line of sight issues and the coverage area. Better still is pre-downloading your music to your mobile device so that network connectivity isn't required.

Oh, yeah, and get some noise cancelling headphones. I know that not everyone appreciates my taste in Brahms, Bach, Beethoven, or Joe Hisaishi. 

27 minutes ago, Z'Loth said:

Oh, yeah, and get some noise cancelling headphones. I know that not everyone appreciates my taste in Brahms, Bach, Beethoven, or Joe Hisaishi. 

I love my noise canceling headphones. (AirPod Pros). I would never listen to good music when not at home without them. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, jcl410 said:

Reception on the balcony will only be possible either going to or coming from Bermuda. Even then, the overhang from the deck above may block the antenna from seeing the satellite..

Have fun experimenting! 

Aloha,

John

Yep, I agree with all of this. Thought someone here would have tried though. If I have the space to pack knowing this may not work I’m gonna try and share results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Z'Loth said:

You are better off utilizing a music streaming service if it isn't blocked by the ship's network than trying to use a satellite radio because of line of sight issues and the coverage area. Better still is pre-downloading your music to your mobile device so that network connectivity isn't required.

Wifi has never been reliable in my experience.  But it’s been a ling time. Maybe I will be surprised. Me receiver is small and portable I figured why not try.

Since headphones are only for one person that won’t work for us. People on this thread jump to assumptions about the volume at the mention of music. Maybe they petition for TV headphones too?

Sort of into Bach’s cello suites and Dvorak’s cello concerto at the moment.

2 hours ago, cram33 said:

Since headphones are only for one person that won’t work for us. People on this thread jump to assumptions about the volume at the mention of music.

If you intend to share without using headphones here is a selection from Royal Caribbeans code of conduct. Noise nuisance covers a wide range. 

"Boom boxes, loud radios, or other noise nuisance(s) are not permitted."

On 7/31/2022 at 12:01 PM, cram33 said:

Wifi has never been reliable in my experience.  But it’s been a ling time. Maybe I will be surprised. Me receiver is small and portable I figured why not try.

Since headphones are only for one person that won’t work for us. People on this thread jump to assumptions about the volume at the mention of music. Maybe they petition for TV headphones too?

Sort of into Bach’s cello suites and Dvorak’s cello concerto at the moment.

The satellite radios antenna is designed to be mounted outside on a roof. Then it would have to be connected by a cable to the receiver. The receiver would have to be connected to a speaker. Seems there would be a few problems setting up on a ship. You can't put the antenna on a roof. Some mention has been made of the balcony but if the antenna is on the balcony the reciever would have to be in the room plugged into the mains right?  Is there some way to connect the reciever to the antenna other than by a cable? I don't think so. Seems like the best solution for listening to satellite radio on a ship would be over WiFi.

Edited by Charles4515

19 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Is there some way to connect the reciever to the antenna other than by a cable? I don't think so. Seems like the best solution for listening to satellite radio on a ship would be over WiFi.

Nope, it's a thin wire. Windows and doors can usually close around them.  I agree, the simplest solution would be streaming.  Admittedly I have not cruised in a long time, but back then the wifi was not reliable at all.  My radio is so small I will try it out if there is room to pack it.  If it doesn't work it's not like I will complain about lugging something for nothing.

47 minutes ago, cram33 said:

Nope, it's a thin wire. Windows and doors can usually close around them.  I agree, the simplest solution would be streaming.  Admittedly I have not cruised in a long time, but back then the wifi was not reliable at all.  My radio is so small I will try it out if there is room to pack it.  If it doesn't work it's not like I will complain about lugging something for nothing.

Post how it worked out when you get back.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 11:29 AM, Charles4515 said:

Post how it worked out when you get back.

Mixed results.
#1 Boarded ship.  Set it up. Worked awesome.  Enjoyed radio all the way to Bermuda.
#2 50/50 shot at the dock and my balcony was facing north so it was out.
#3 Heading north, leaving Bermuda, it worked again for a few hours as I could face the receiver south.  Once we turned 315 degrees I could no longer face south.
So I am very happy with what did work and enjoyed it.  I would do it again.  I can post a short vid or pics of the setup if interested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cram33 said:

Mixed results.
#1 Boarded ship.  Set it up. Worked awesome.  Enjoyed radio all the way to Bermuda.
#2 50/50 shot at the dock and my balcony was facing north so it was out.
#3 Heading north, leaving Bermuda, it worked again for a few hours as I could face the receiver south.  Once we turned 315 degrees I could no longer face south.
So I am very happy with what did work and enjoyed it.  I would do it again.  I can post a short vid or pics of the setup if interested.

Thank you for posting the results. I would be interested in a photo. of the setup. 

• Like 1