Bookings which include drinks package?

ClefsDor

I think I remember reading a post here that people who book Grills category staterooms through US based agents get gratuities and premium drinks package included in the price. Can anyone confirm if this is the case and if it also applies to Britannia Club bookings? TIA

Yes, for US bookings there is the ongoing "Grills Suite Offer":

"Drinks Package and Hotel and Dining Service Charge are included when you book a Grills Suite."

Only rarely are there US promotions which include the drinks package on accommodations below the Grills Suite level. It is not unusual though to see US promotions which include the Hotel and Dining Service Charge. In fact there is one such promotion going on now in the US called the "Summer Savings Event" which includes the Hotel and Dining Service Charge for all levels of accommodations.

Unfortunately that is something that we never get offered on the UK when booking a grill suite. Cunard seem to treat US cruiser's better than those in the UK. Sorry but leaves a bitter taste in my mouth especially when US cruiser's call UK cruiser's all the names under the sun when they get them for free. Rather hypocritical in my eyes.

the 'drinks package' are a limited time offer and are factored into the overall price of the suites.    They are also a real pain, you must sign each chit.  If the servers aren't careful the charge ends up on your bill and you have to see the concierge or wait in the queue at the pursers deck.   Had to do that 4 time in 12 nights. 

You can purchase the package on Cunard's site.  

Edited by gentlemancruiser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Unfortunately that is something that we never get offered on the UK when booking a grill suite. Cunard seem to treat US cruiser's better than those in the UK. Sorry but leaves a bitter taste in my mouth especially when US cruiser's call UK cruiser's all the names under the sun when they get them for free. Rather hypocritical in my eyes.

Looking at it from another perspective, I don't believe we in the US get access to "saver" fares, don't usually have a cruise/fly package with flights includes, and have to take a long flight to take trips that don't leave from a US port).  US passengers have fewer opportunities to do short cruises that add up to Diamond status unless we want to spend the money to fly over and back for a Southampton-Southampton trip. 

Different marketing strategies for different customer bases.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to contradict the penultimate two posters, but here goes. As a U.K. booking I have had a free drinks offer - though admittedly only once, but it does sometimes happen. What on earth is a pain about having to sign for it? I thought I was the laziest person I know, but I am not lazy enough to be exhausted by that. In fact, it was reassuring on our latest voyage to see that signing for drinks has been reinstated on QM2, making it far easy to keep track of spending and that one's account is correct. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, gentlemancruiser said:

the 'drinks package' are a limited time offer and are factored into the overall price of the suites.    They are also a real pain, you must sign each chit.  If the servers aren't careful the charge ends up on your bill and you have to see the concierge or wait in the queue at the pursers deck.   Had to do that 4 time in 12 nights. 

You can purchase the package on Cunard's site.  

Checking out the drink packages on the website, it’s priced at $69 per day.  I cannot find confirming details about the gratuities—included in the $69?  Thank you for your thoughts.  

8 minutes ago, KarefreeKaren said:

Checking out the drink packages on the website, it’s priced at $69 per day.  I cannot find confirming details about the gratuities—included in the $69?  Thank you for your thoughts.  

The standard gratuities, now called the "Hotel and Dining Service Charge", are $11.50 per person per night in Britannia accommodations and $13.50 per person per night in Grill Suites.

Edit to add: the Hotel and Dining Service Charge is separate from the drinks package price at $69 per person per day.

Edited by bluemarble

13 minutes ago, KarefreeKaren said:

I believe gratuiites for drinks are covered by the package.

4 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

The standard gratuities, now called the "Hotel and Dining Service Charge", are $11.50 per person per night in Britannia accommodations and $13.50 per person per night in Grill Suites.

Edit to add: the Hotel and Dining Service Charge is separate from the drinks package price at $69 per person per day.

Thank you.  Yes, I am aware of the per day standard grats,  just wondering if there are gratuities on top of the $69 daily fee (or inclusive).  I know on HAL, the gratuities for drink packages are included in the daily price. Can’t seem to find this answer… many thanks! 

7 minutes ago, KarefreeKaren said:

Thank you.  Yes, I am aware of the per day standard grats,  just wondering if there are gratuities on top of the $69 daily fee (or inclusive).  I know on HAL, the gratuities for drink packages are included in the daily price. Can’t seem to find this answer… many thanks! 

See my post above.

20 minutes ago, KarefreeKaren said:

Ah! Sorry for that misunderstanding. Thankfully @exlondoner has corrected my mistake in not picking up that you meant the 15% gratuity automatically added to drinks prices rather than the daily gratuities (aka Hotel and Dining Service Charge) also included in the "Grills Suite Offer".

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, KarefreeKaren said:

I see your Question has just been answered , however, just to confirm again, the 15% gratuity on drinks is 'already  covered' in the Drinks Packages 

• Like 1

A few years back in the good old pre covid days we were fortunate to be given a complimentary drinks package when booking a Grills cabin on the QM2. It was called the Captains Classic Collection, of four bottles of wine. 

Our sommelier sorted it out for us and OH, if I recall rightly, signed a chitty for each bottle. I’ve no idea why this package was included by our UK travel agent….we were grateful and so didn’t ask too many questions! 😋

• Like 2

6 hours ago, esrs said:

Looking at it from another perspective, I don't believe we in the US get access to "saver" fares, don't usually have a cruise/fly package with flights includes, and have to take a long flight to take trips that don't leave from a US port).  US passengers have fewer opportunities to do short cruises that add up to Diamond status unless we want to spend the money to fly over and back for a Southampton-Southampton trip. 

Different marketing strategies for different customer bases.

Grill suites are never available in the UK Saver fares and don't think reaching Diamond has anything to do with receiving free drinks package/gratuities especially as Cunard's CWC is one of the poorest loyalty scheme onboard any cruise company.

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Sorry to contradict the penultimate two posters, but here goes. As a U.K. booking I have had a free drinks offer - though admittedly only once, but it does sometimes happen. What on earth is a pain about having to sign for it? I thought I was the laziest person I know, but I am not lazy enough to be exhausted by that. In fact, it was reassuring on our latest voyage to see that signing for drinks has been reinstated on QM2, making it far easy to keep track of spending and that one's account is correct. 

I have only ever known a free drinks package offered by Cunard for UK cruiser's booking a grill suite once in all the years I have been cruising with them.

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Grill suites are never available in the UK Saver fares and don't think reaching Diamond has anything to do with receiving free drinks package/gratuities especially as Cunard's CWC is one of the poorest loyalty scheme onboard any cruise company.

No, the drinks package has nothing to do with the loyalty scheme, just pointing out that it is significantly harder for a US person to pick up the requisite number of voyages to reach the higher tiers as it is more expensive to fly over to do the short journeys.  Agree that the loyal scheme is not exemplary, just stating a difference between the US and UK market.   UK Cunarders can get to diamond more quickly and cheaply, for what it is worth.   Perhaps Diamond members should get free drinks! 😉

1 minute ago, esrs said:

No, the drinks package has nothing to do with the loyalty scheme, just pointing out that it is significantly harder for a US person to pick up the requisite number of voyages to reach the higher tiers as it is more expensive to fly over to do the short journeys.  Agree that the loyal scheme is not exemplary, just stating a difference between the US and UK market.   UK Cunarders can get to diamond more quickly and cheaply, for what it is worth.   Perhaps Diamond members should get free drinks! 😉

I am not Diamond in CWC but if was would forsake it at the blink of an eye for a free drinks package/gratuities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Petulia said:

A few years back in the good old pre covid days we were fortunate to be given a complimentary drinks package when booking a Grills cabin on the QM2. It was called the Captains Classic Collection, of four bottles of wine. 

Our sommelier sorted it out for us and OH, if I recall rightly, signed a chitty for each bottle. I’ve no idea why this package was included by our UK travel agent….we were grateful and so didn’t ask too many questions! 😋

Was your QM2 voyage during 2015 by any chance? If so, perhaps you managed to book under the terms of "The Grills Suites Inclusive Package" introduced in 2015 in connection with Cunard's 175th anniversary. That package included bottles of wine from the Captain's Collection (4 bottles on voyages of 13 days or less, 6 bottles on voyages of 14 to 20 days, and 9 bottles on voyages of 21 days or more).

• Like 1

Thanks for all your responses. We have a US based agent and on some longer cruises it can make quite a difference in price if the drinks package and gratuities are included. Just wish it was available for Britannia Club as we may never splurge on PG or QG unless a really good deal is on.

9 hours ago, exlondoner said:

My point was to say that when you $$$$$ for a 'luxury' grill suite you shouldn't hassled to sign and then line up to fix someone else's mistakes!!!!! 

Silvesea, Regent and even Celebrity & Princess don't require passengers on packages to sign slips of paper every time they want a drink. 

7 hours ago, gentlemancruiser said:

My point was to say that when you $$$$$ for a 'luxury' grill suite you shouldn't hassled to sign and then line up to fix someone else's mistakes!!!!! 

Silvesea, Regent and even Celebrity & Princess don't require passengers on packages to sign slips of paper every time they want a drink. 

Perhaps they should do. It makes it much easier to keep track. I can't recall anyone ever hassling me to do anything on a Cunard ship. Of course they should get it right, but having a piece of paper makes it easier to prove they haven't does it not?

49 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Perhaps they should do. It makes it much easier to keep track. I can't recall anyone ever hassling me to do anything on a Cunard ship. Of course they should get it right, but having a piece of paper makes it easier to prove they haven't does it not?

Most definitely, and having had others' drinks somehow finding their way onto our account, we WANT to sign. At the very least we could prove in the past, the signature wasn't ours. Might be slightly more difficult if [when?] it happens again but, we will be asking for a receipt for every purchase.

8 hours ago, gentlemancruiser said:

I guess part of it, is what we're used to and I agree, we  shouldn't have to visit the Front Desk to sort  out mistakes but it happens occasionally and  as has been said, a signed piece of paper helps.

Hopefully, those who want a receipt, can still get one and then that's the best of both worlds isn't it! 🙂