Occasionally live from the Island Princess

We_like_to_cruise

21 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Which DR?  Did you originally use DMW pre-cruise to make a DR res?  If so, did you book individual nights or the entire voyage (obviously you are on multiple voyages)?  I am glad to read the DR mgmt is setting folks up with same table and waiters like the old TD.  This is what we want - same table and waiters.  We are booked for 6pm in Provence (November).  Also, nice to see you can just head to the table on arrival.  What is your table number, if you don't mind (esp. if in Provence).

ETA:  I see from a later post you are in Bordeaux (Deck 5).  That used to be the AT DR and Provence (Deck 6) was the TD DR.  They will be pretty identical in layout and such.

We used DMW pre-cruise to book all 30 nights.  Did not change anything on the app for our reservations for the two specialty dining nights - worried it might mess something up!  However, we did notify our waiter of the two evenings we would not be at the MDR.  Setup is exactly like the old TD which we like, but the convenience of picking the time that worked for us.

Based on what I see currently in our dining room, you should have no problem getting a table at 6pm.  Fingers crossed!

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
edit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

14???!!!  It has always been 8oz.  But many I have felt have been a bit heavier if I had a scale.

Actually I stopped by the Bayou Steakhouse on my way to the show tonight.  Verified that the filet size (as even posted on the menu) is 12 ounces.  When I mentioned to the host that it seemed huge he said some of them are up to 14 ounces !  That must have been how I got the 14 ounce size in my head.

And it was yummy - cooked perfectly medium rare as requested.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, pppatpc2 said:

Glad to hear.  We ordered club sandwiches from room service on the Caribbean Princess in June and one night it took 2 hours.

Also thanks for looking into the coffee situation.  I am always happy with any coffee, even the buffet coffee (ish), but with the plus package I am spoiled with double Americano. 

Very nice of you to look into all of these things for us.  Can't wait to board!

I get up before DW and head up to the Lido Buffet for a double Americano at the specialty coffee section.  Having been onboard for over a week, now the barista recognizes me and starts my order as I am walking toward her. 

I do some work on my laptop for a little bit and then go wake up DW so we can both enjoy breakfast together.  (At breakfast she orders cappuccino's from the specialty coffee area).

Have not yet had to resort to drinking the regular buffet coffee !

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Actually I stopped by the Bayou Steakhouse on my way to the show tonight.  Verified that the filet size (as even posted on the menu) is 12 ounces.  When I mentioned to the host that it seemed huge he said some of them are up to 14 ounces !  That must have been how I got the 14 ounce size in my head.

Wow .. wife and I could split one.

ETA:  The PDF menu on Princess.com does not specify  weight for any of the Bayou steaks, but the Crown Grill menu indicates 8oz which is what I am used to.  I know I had a filet in Bayou back in 2018, but I do not recall the size being anything unusual huge.  Interesting this change.

Edited by Steelers36

48 minutes ago, teacherplus said:

Is it easy to find the specialty coffee section at the Lido? Thank you for answering questions about the Island Princess!

It’s at the forward section of the Horizon

Court (buffet)  an area called Amuleto Cafe.  It has a dessert area and coffee bar.

You can see that area on the deck plans.

https://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=IP

On 8/6/2022 at 3:06 PM, We_like_to_cruise said:

That's good to know. I was on the Enchanted in April and was very disappointed in the steakhouse. The filet was more like roast beef. Others had similar complaints.

Also disappointing on the Enchanted was the internet; it was so bad they refunded everyone's money. How do you find it on the Island? Also, while in port, are you having any issues with your cell phone working (including data)? My carrier gave me roaming rates for every country in the Baltic, but then my phone did not work in any of those countries! So I will be switching carriers before my cruise on the Island. May I ask what carrier you use for your cell phones?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tkwbear said:

Also disappointing on the Enchanted was the internet; it was so bad they refunded everyone's money. How do you find it on the Island? Also, while in port, are you having any issues with your cell phone working (including data)? My carrier gave me roaming rates for every country in the Baltic, but then my phone did not work in any of those countries! So I will be switching carriers before my cruise on the Island. May I ask what carrier you use for your cell phones?

We were on the Island in July and the Internet worked great, much better then on past cruises.  We used Consumer Cellular.  They provided us with a SIM card that worked in Europe and the rate for phone calls was $.20 per minute.  We didn't get data as we didn't think we would need it.  And we didn't.  Made one call to a guide we had booked to touch base and it cost us $.24 total.  Can't beat that!!

<<<Karen>>>

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2022 at 3:11 PM, We_like_to_cruise said:

Sadly, on the IP there is no Alfredo's (or International Cafe).  We have not yet tried pizza at Slice which is by the pool,

On 8/6/2022 at 7:54 PM, PacnGoNow said:

It’s at the forward section of the Horizon

Court (buffet)  an area called Amuleto Cafe.  It has a dessert area and coffee bar.

You can see that area on the deck plans.

https://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=IP

I know you said you eat early and that probably translates to also retiring early but do you have any idea if any venue is open late-ish for a cup of coffee or tea? (Can you checks the hours of the Amuleto Cafe please)

We are signed up for a portion of the 2024 World Cruise and I tend to stay up relatively late on vacation and like to have a cup of coffee or tea before bed. With no IC I'm wondering where I'll be able to go.

Thanks!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chamima said:

I know you said you eat early and that probably translates to also retiring early but do you have any idea if any venue is open late-ish for a cup of coffee or tea? (Can you checks the hours of the Amuleto Cafe please)

We are signed up for a portion of the 2024 World Cruise and I tend to stay up relatively late on vacation and like to have a cup of coffee or tea before bed. With no IC I'm wondering where I'll be able to go.

Thanks!

Not me, but maybe someone on the Island recently would know.  You want the hours of the coffee bars on the ship.

On 8/8/2022 at 2:11 AM, tkwbear said:

That's good to know. I was on the Enchanted in April and was very disappointed in the steakhouse. The filet was more like roast beef. Others had similar complaints.

The internet has been working fine for us. 

We are not using our data plan, phones turned to Airplane mode with wifi on.  We communicate home via wifi with WhatsApp.

• Like 5

On 8/8/2022 at 8:44 AM, chamima said:

Thanks!

The Amuleto (coffee) is open daily from 6am to 10pm. 

Room service, via the Medallion app, cabin telephone or the cabin tv ordering system is available 24 hours a day.

• Like 1

More thoughts a week later -

Cabin water pressure - very very good with copious hot water.  The shower is very powerful but that shower curtain - yikes!

Cabin AC - working fine, very consistent.

Problems with ordering hot drinks via app - we were very pleased with the food and cold beverages ordered via the app and the tv to our cabin.  However, the last two times we ordered hot drinks (despite being ordered "extra-hot" in the Customization menu) they were just above room temperature.  Not good.

Shows - three of the shows have been repeated twice within the last week or so.  More variety would be appreciated.  The IP singers and dancers production show titled (IIRC) "Let's Dance" was great fun.  Tonight is the production show "On the Bayou" and will keep you informed.  Otherwise we have had singers, comedians and musicians with a mixed bag of entertainment value!  A comedian/mentalist was very good but we only saw him once. We would have returned if he had been booked for another evening.

Lounge entertainment includes guitar/vocalist, piano player, a violin duo, and a female vocalist with accompanist.  All enjoyable to listen to as we had a drink before and/or after dinner.

Recently discovering "no longer available" when ordering drinks at some of the bars.  Hope this gets resolved when we commence the Aug. 12 sailing.

We are still having a nice cruise - and the weather has been on our side.  In fact an announcement from the bridge told us to expect temps near 72F tomorrow in Dover.  We were reminded to use sunscreen!

Formal nights - surprising how many men wore tuxedos.  I left mine home!  Most all wore, as I did,  a sports coat and dress shirt with or without a tie.  And the women were all lovely, of course.  I personally did not see any t-shirts or shorts in the MDR.

Water shuttles (tenders) - many of our ports required tenders.  So far it has been organized and pretty straightforward.  Most have taken only 10 - 15 minutes, but the rocky trip to Holyhead Wales took nearly an hour!

edit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

The Amuleto (coffee) is open daily from 6am to 10pm. 

Room service, via the Medallion app, cabin telephone or the cabin tv ordering system is available 24 hours a day.

Thanks for the replies.

Is the Patisserie or maybe Good Spirits or even Crooners open until midnight?

(BTW - I can't find the Patisserie on the deck plans - where is it?)

Lerwick, Shetland Islands, Scotland

The captain announced the ship was unable to dock in Lerwick the last two times it was scheduled.  We lucked out with calm seas and nice weather. 

Here is a picture of a pretty park / garden we passed in town.

garden.jpg

edit
  • Like 6

Edinburgh, Scotland

Tender into port and then we took the train from Dalmeny to Waverly, Edinburgh stop.  The train is easy to take but the walk to the train station is challenging !  (115 steps up from the street).  Despite that we saw many fellow passengers taking the train.

Edinburgh was very very crowded due to the concurrent Fringe Festival and the Military Tattoo.  And, the nice sunny weather contributed to the crowded streets.  A very lively city.

e1.jpg

e2.jpg

e3.jpg

• Like 5