Testing and flying in 2 days early. . .

v3cruiser

Question for the cruisers out there that have flown in 2 or more days early.

How did you manage and structure your covid test? I booked a cruise late Feb 2023  We are flying in 2 days before. Now I may be second guessing myself to do possible complications of finding a testing source in the embarkation city before the cruise. In our case it will be panama city. 

We may just fly in night before. I guess I dont understand all the testing as the port we are leaving out of doesnt require testing as long as you are vaxxed. Same with the ports we are going to.

We are using NCL air package.

Things are likely to change 6 times between now and then.  If finding a testing location is a problem, why not use the proctored at-home tests from eMed, if you still need to test?  You don't have to take it AT HOME, you can do it wherever you have an internet connection.

• Like 1

We took the online proctored antigen tests (Inspire) with us. If you do that just remember to put the tests in your carryon luggage. They may get ruined due to extreme temperature changes in checked luggage. 

5 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

We took the online proctored antigen tests (Inspire) with us. If you do that just remember to put the tests in your carryon luggage. They may get ruined due to extreme temperature changes in checked luggage. 

Thanks! I'll look into that. That's pretty genius!

5 hours ago, hallux said:

Things are likely to change 6 times between now and then.  If finding a testing location is a problem, why not use the proctored at-home tests from eMed, if you still need to test?  You don't have to take it AT HOME, you can do it wherever you have an internet connection.

This is great information I did not know as I havent been on these boards nor following the cruising world. I cna only hope things change for the better before then.

16 minutes ago, v3cruiser said:

Thanks! I'll look into that. That's pretty genius!

It was easy to do. Note: We took one of those free tests (through the USPS) before we boarded the plane to make sure we were fine, then did the official online test at the hotel. No appointment needed, we just logged in and within 5 minutes had a proctor. Easy! 

6 hours ago, v3cruiser said:

Question for the cruisers out there that have flown in 2 or more days early.

How did you manage and structure your covid test? I booked a cruise late Feb 2023  We are flying in 2 days before. Now I may be second guessing myself to do possible complications of finding a testing source in the embarkation city before the cruise. In our case it will be panama city. 

We may just fly in night before. I guess I dont understand all the testing as the port we are leaving out of doesnt require testing as long as you are vaxxed. Same with the ports we are going to.

We are using NCL air package.

Have you double-checked the SailSafe page?    Currently I see that only cruises from US ports, Canadian ports or Piraeus, Greece require pre-cruise testing for vaccinated passengers:

EU Healthy Gateways Ends Pre-Cruise Testing Requirements

For sailings beginning August 1, 2022, vaccinated guests sailing on a cruise originating from any port EXCEPT a U.S. port; Canadian port; or Piraeus, Greece are exempt from all pre-cruise COVID-19 testing requirements.

I agree with the self administered tests. We've done two cruises where we flew in three days early and used Abbott Binix eMed tests. No appointment and do it in your hotel room. The trickiest thing can be a strong enough internet connection in a hotel. Tripped us up both times. You can order the tests online and they arrive quickly. However, I would not order anything yet. By February you may not need it. Rules change rapidly. It does put a huge wet blanket on getting excited about the cruise. We can't really relax until all three of us pass the test...after we've flown to the port and checked into a hotel. We have an NCL cruise booked for spring break but if they don't remove the pretesting by our final payment in November, we'll cancel and stay in FL.

12 minutes ago, raitch said:

We are sailing this Sunday and flying in on Friday.  We made virtual proctoring appointments with OnPoint for Friday afternoon and are bringing the antigen tests with us.

Where are you sailing from and to?  Requirements vary by country.

On 8/1/2022 at 6:28 AM, dexddd said:

Where are you sailing from and to?  Requirements vary by country.

Panama city to colon panama. website says if unvaxxed you need to test negative b4 entry, if vaxxed no test required.

the virtual proctor info is great info !

We are flying in to NYC from California 2 days early to site see. We will then board the Breakaway on the 9/18/22 for a 7 day cruise of Canada/New England. Will we still need to get a Covid test before embarcation under the new guidelines. We are full vaccinated and boosted? I'm confused. Thanks

8 minutes ago, hptraveler2 said:

We are flying in to NYC from California 2 days early to site see. We will then board the Breakaway on the 9/18/22 for a 7 day cruise of Canada/New England. Will we still need to get a Covid test before embarcation under the new guidelines. We are full vaccinated and boosted? I'm confused. Thanks

Testing 2 days prior  before embarking your ship to Canada. 

16 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Testing 2 days prior  before embarking your ship to Canada. 

Or 72 hours if a PCR test....but keep watching.  Things are changing and Canada could change too.

Canada Travel Requirements

Country Requirements

PLEASE NOTE: All guests must complete ArriveCAN submission within 72 hours of embarkation. ArriveCAN receipt must be presented at check in on embarkation day. Guests must select "Arriving by Ship."

Vaccination Requirements:

• All guests age twelve and older must be fully vaccinated at least two weeks prior to arrival.

Testing Requirements:

• Embarkation: all guests must provide proof of negative NAAT test (i.e. PCR) taken within 72 hours prior to embarkation, or negative antigen test taken within 48 hours of embarkation.

1 hour ago, hptraveler2 said:

Don't forget the ArriveCan application requirement 72 hours before you board ship. IPhone or Android.

• Like 1