Beverage Package Upgrade $10/day vs. $5/day

NorskyGal

I have just returned from a Holland America cruise where I had booked a "Have It All" fare that included the Signature Beverage Package.  The normal price of this package is $54.95/day.  The Elite Package is $59.95/day or a difference of $5.

When trying to upgrade on board I was told that the upgrade fee would be $10/day instead of $5 since I had purchased the drink package originally at a discount.

So be warned if you are planning up upgrade on the ship.

• Thanks 1

I did not know that.  It would be fine if I could just upgrade for myself, but if I have to upgrade for both of us in our cabin, that would be an extra $20 per day, plus gratuity = $23.60 per day.  My spouse does not drink.  

My understanding is that you just pay the difference in price between the $11 and the higher cost of the premium beverage, which might be around $5 extra.  I would need 5 premium drinks each day to break even.  I could see meeting that quota on sea days, but would be a bit challenged to do so on a port day where I am gone most of the day.

Thanks for the clarification!

5 hours ago, tundra1 said:

My understanding is that you just pay the difference in price between the $11 and the higher cost of the premium beverage,

No.  If the drink is more than $11, then you pay the full price plus service charge, except on a few 'test' cruises where they offer HIA+ (pay difference).

Currently, I think that only some Alaska cruises offer this.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NorskyGal said:

I have just returned from a Holland America cruise where I had booked a "Have It All" fare that included the Signature Beverage Package.  The normal price of this package is $54.95/day.  The Elite Package is $59.95/day or a difference of $5.

When trying to upgrade on board I was told that the upgrade fee would be $10/day instead of $5 since I had purchased the drink package originally at a discount.

So be warned if you are planning up upgrade on the ship.

Yes, that’s the way it has been for as long as I can recall.

The HIA is considered as a pre-purchase.  If you look at the price on line - if you buy the SBP (or the Elite) ahead of the cruise, it is cheaper than on board.  If it is purchased prior to boarding, and you upgrade on board the difference in cost is $10 as it was bought at a reduced price.

13 minutes ago, prindy24 said:

Are any drinks included without charge as in the past or must you purchase some type of drink package?

Water, regular coffee, tea,  all available free in the Lido 24/7.

lemonade and ice tea in Lido at lunch and dinner.

water in MDR at meal times

5 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Water, regular coffee, tea,  all available free in the Lido 24/7.

lemonade and ice tea in Lido at lunch and dinner.

water in MDR at meal times

Thx! Hard to find info on the basics.

First time cruising on HAL and I called customer service to inquire about how does one go about upgrading their HIA beverage package to elite package. 
I was  told there is no way in their computer system to do this prior to sailing, and that I would be charged $11 per person per day to upgrade. 
I am willing to pay the difference before sailing however, HAL is forcing me to now pay the difference on the onboard elite package price which is substantially more. 
this does not leave a good taste in my mouth.  

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone explain how the non-alcoholic drinks affect the signature drink package? What size are the cokes they bring you? If you get a coke with your lunch and have two refills, does that count as 3 drinks against your 15 / day limit? I wanted to upgrade to the elite to avoid worrying about it, but see per @jewel 14 post above that we cannot do that until on board and that it will be $11/pp/pd vs the $5 difference shown between signature & elite package. And do they count the least expensive drinks up first and then if you go over 15 drinks they charge you for the most expensive or do they charge only after 15? DH drinks a lot of diet Coke, but will likely also have some beers and some scotch, so he is worried about using up his 15 drinks on the diet Coke.  

19 minutes ago, ColoAndy22 said:

Can someone explain how the non-alcoholic drinks affect the signature drink package? What size are the cokes they bring you? If you get a coke with your lunch and have two refills, does that count as 3 drinks against your 15 / day limit? I wanted to upgrade to the elite to avoid worrying about it, but see per @jewel 14 post above that we cannot do that until on board and that it will be $11/pp/pd vs the $5 difference shown between signature & elite package. And do they count the least expensive drinks up first and then if you go over 15 drinks they charge you for the most expensive or do they charge only after 15? DH drinks a lot of diet Coke, but will likely also have some beers and some scotch, so he is worried about using up his 15 drinks on the diet Coke.  

You get standard sized cans of coke. Yes, 3 cokes with your lunch would be 3 drinks against your limit.

No, they start charging you for the 16th drink, whatever that might be.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ColoAndy22 said:

You could buy a beverage card to buy some of your soft drinks instead of applying them against your 15 drink limit.  Use that card instead of your room card for those low cost drinks, saving your room card for higher priced drinks.  A $50 drink card would cover about 17 sodas (including 18% tip).  Also, keep in mind if you stop at Half Moon Cay, drinks there are not included in your 15 drink package so any you buy there don't count against the package limit.

Others have suggested loading up on sodas and/or waters on embarkation day when half the day is already gone by the time you board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AFNavigator said:

You could buy a beverage card to buy some of your soft drinks instead of applying them against your 15 drink limit. 

I was going to suggest that, but went to the HAL website and could not find anyplace to buy beverage cards. Do they still exist?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I was going to suggest that, but went to the HAL website and could not find anyplace to buy beverage cards. Do they still exist?

Yes they do.  You can buy them on Manage Booking > Cruise Activities > Beverages.  $50, $100, $250 value/cost.

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 7:29 PM, CruiserBruce said:

You get standard sized cans of coke. Yes, 3 cokes with your lunch would be 3 drinks against your limit.

No, they start charging you for the 16th drink, whatever that might be.

New to HAL, but I don't understand this. Is the $15 limit *any* drink or *only alcoholic* drinks?

I've never seen a drink package on any line where sodas and mocktails count towards your daily limit.

From their website:

SIGNATURE PACKAGE

Only $54.95 per guest/per day*

Our Signature package includes everything from our Quench Package along with your favorite premium beers, spirits, cocktails, and wines by the glass priced $11 and under.

QUENCH PACKAGE

(NON-ALCOHOLIC)

Only $17.95 per guest/per day* Quench your thirst with our nonalcoholic package which includes an unlimited variety of premium coffees such as espresso and cappuccino, juices, Coca-Cola™ products, our signature mocktails, Red Bull, and bottled waters 500ml and under.

Also, from a 2019 post here...

The correct answer is you are limited to 15 Alcoholic beverages.  I had HAL send me a letter on official letter head confirming it.  Below is a portion of that correspondence. 

"Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding our Signature Beverage Package and Elite Beverage Packages.  You are correct in believing  if you were to purchase either of these beverage packages, that they would include unlimited non-alcoholic beverages and bottled waters 500ml and under."

Edited by alyssamma

5 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

New to HAL, but I don't understand this. Is the $15 limit *any* drink or *only alcoholic* drinks?

I've never seen a drink package on any line where sodas and mocktails count towards your daily limit.

From their website:

SIGNATURE PACKAGE

Only $54.95 per guest/per day*

Our Signature package includes everything from our Quench Package along with your favorite premium beers, spirits, cocktails, and wines by the glass priced $11 and under.

QUENCH PACKAGE

(NON-ALCOHOLIC)

Only $17.95 per guest/per day* Quench your thirst with our nonalcoholic package which includes an unlimited variety of premium coffees such as espresso and cappuccino, juices, Coca-Cola™ products, our signature mocktails, Red Bull, and bottled waters 500ml and under.

Also, from a 2019 post here...

The correct answer is you are limited to 15 Alcoholic beverages.  I had HAL send me a letter on official letter head confirming it.  Below is a portion of that correspondence. 

"Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding our Signature Beverage Package and Elite Beverage Packages.  You are correct in believing  if you were to purchase either of these beverage packages, that they would include unlimited non-alcoholic beverages and bottled waters 500ml and under."

There is a lot of discussion on here about that.  Hal’s strong suit is not updating their website based on reality. It’s 15 drinks period whether that be coffee, water, wine, drinks etc so choose wisely.  Some folks that love 15 coffees a day 🤪 use purchased beverage cards for that and use the beverage package for drinks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

There is a lot of discussion on here about that.  Hal’s strong suit is not updating their website based on reality. It’s 15 drinks period whether that be coffee, water, wine, drinks etc so choose wisely.  Some folks that love 15 coffees a day 🤪 use purchased beverage cards for that and use the beverage package for drinks.

So you think whoever from HAL wrote this in an email is wrong?

5 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Hmm...edited for the below from their site:

Enjoy beers, spirits, cocktails and wines by the glass priced at $11 and under, plus everything from our Quench package. 15-drink daily limit for alcoholic & non-alcoholic beverages.

So it seems you need Elite to get unlimited non-alcoholic and that, of course, is $10pppd, correct?

Edited by alyssamma

9 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

So you think whoever from HAL wrote this in an email is wrong?

Hmm...edited for the below from their site:

Enjoy beers, spirits, cocktails and wines by the glass priced at $11 and under, plus everything from our Quench package. 15-drink daily limit for alcoholic & non-alcoholic beverages.

So it seems you need Elite to get unlimited non-alcoholic and that, of course, is $10pppd, correct?

I’m not sure to be honest.  I thought you were just talking about the signature package.  I want to say you are correct but I don’t know.  I hope someone will clarify it for you.  Never come close to 15 drinks even non alcoholic drinks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m not sure to be honest.  I thought you were just talking about the signature package.  I want to say you are correct but I don’t know.  I hope someone will clarify it for you.  Never come close to 15 drinks even non alcoholic drinks.

Thanks...this is why CC is great...I would have never known any of this otherwise...