My Octantis Review

May B

In case anybody’s interested in reading my review, here’s the link. I forgot to say what a nice touch it was, that they gave us a little parting gift of fudge from Mackinac Island (one of our stops). 

I actually thought I reviewed all our stops, but I don’t know where those comments are posted.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=689568&et_cid=3500453&et_rid=16922743&et_referrer=Party - Celebrity

Thank you for  your detailed review .   I probably will never go on an expedition cruise, but it is a great way to see the Great Lakes.  Viking does go all out in the  educational components  of their cruise s, which I love. 

Are you by any chance doing  Scenic Scandinavia in June 2023 on the Jupiter? If you are are on the June12-22, see you on board.

3 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Thank you for  your detailed review .   I probably will never go on an expedition cruise, but it is a great way to see the Great Lakes.  Viking does go all out in the  educational components  of their cruise s, which I love. 

Are you by any chance doing  Scenic Scandinavia in June 2023 on the Jupiter? If you are are on the June12-22, see you on board.

Close! We’ll be boarding, the day you disembark.

Just now, May B said:

Close! We’ll be boarding, the day you disembark.

Well we will keep the bar stocked, the lights on for you and your husband. 😆

it would have been fun to meet you in person. 

I love this itinerary, with overnights in Stockholm and Copenhagen. My mother was 100 % Danish. So I will finally get to visit the land of my ancestors. I will be traveling with my sister. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Well we will keep the bar stocked, the lights on for you and your husband. 😆

it would have been fun to meet you in person. 

I love this itinerary, with overnights in Stockholm and Copenhagen. My mother was 100 % Danish. So I will finally get to visit the land of my ancestors. I will be traveling with my sister. 

That sounds GREAT!

And yes, the overnights in both of those wonderful cities makes for a very special itinerary. And all the unusual stops! Plus we’ve never been to Berlin.

Edited by May B
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, May B said:

In case anybody’s interested in reading my review, here’s the link. I forgot to say what a nice touch it was, that they gave us a little parting gift of fudge from Mackinac Island (one of our stops). 

I actually thought I reviewed all our stops, but I don’t know where those comments are posted.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=689568&et_cid=3500453&et_rid=16922743&et_referrer=Party - Celebrity

Glad you enjoyed your first Viking cruise. I noted your disappointment at the lack of rack of lamb. Don’t know if they had any of the breakfast lamb chops on board but if they did, I suspect that they would have been happy to serve them to you at dinner.  

We have found that it’s rare for Viking to say no (at least once on board). Two examples come immediately to mind.

We had the most delicious cold pea soup onboard once. On a later cruise we were disappointed when the pea soup  offered on the menu turned out to be the usual (albeit tasty) hot split peas soup. The Restaurant Manager must of seen us frowning at each other about it, came over and asked what was wrong. We explained nothing was wrong but how much we loved the cold soup. A few minutes later the chef appears, asks about it as he wasn’t aware of the version.  He said he would do some research. The next day he stopped me and said to let him know when we would like it!

Similar thing happened when my DMIL was disappointed that grilled lobster wasn’t on the menu. Next day, she was asked which night she wanted her lobster.

So the lesson is to be sure and ask. They can’t say yes if you don’t! 😊. Enjoy your first Ocean Cruise!

BF75285D-78A7-460B-9836-7CBEDD0DBF67.jpeg

495657EC-CF1A-48A9-A7AA-5EA8B1BFC200.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Glad you enjoyed your first Viking cruise. I noted your disappointment at the lack of rack of lamb. Don’t know if they had any of the breakfast lamb chops on board but if they did, I suspect that they would have been happy to serve them to you at dinner.  

We have found that it’s rare for Viking to say no (at least once on board). Two examples come immediately to mind.

We had the most delicious cold pea soup onboard once. On a later cruise we were disappointed when the pea soup  offered on the menu turned out to be the usual (albeit tasty) hot split peas soup. The Restaurant Manager must of seen us frowning at each other about it, came over and asked what was wrong. We explained nothing was wrong but how much we loved the cold soup. A few minutes later the chef appears, asks about it as he wasn’t aware of the version.  He said he would do some research. The next day he stopped me and said to let him know when we would like it!

Similar thing happened when my DMIL was disappointed that grilled lobster wasn’t on the menu. Next day, she was asked which night she wanted her lobster.

So the lesson is to be sure and ask. They can’t say yes if you don’t! 😊. Enjoy your first Ocean Cruise!

22 hours ago, mtnestr2011 said:

What incentives were offered if you booked while on board? We will be on Octantis in September, and this will be our first experience with Viking.

None that I saw, but evidently Mr B threw away the offer before I could see it.

Just for that, I shouldn’t take him with me! But then we came home and HE found the great itinerary. Plus it’s our anniversary. So I guess he lucked out despite goofing up. 😉

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Great post! Worth showing it all again.

Since there’s no breakfast on Octantis in The Restaurant, they probably didn’t have lamb chops at all, but I definitely understand about their desire to please. I felt like the service was on a par with Crystal’s.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, mtnestr2011 said:

What incentives were offered if you booked while on board? We will be on Octantis in September, and this will be our first experience with Viking.

The funniest thing is, I thought the travel bloke was adorable. I think he’s Canadian, and perhaps named Jeff McDonald or MacDonald. I almost visited him, just for fun!

Btw, Clay Clayton, I do like your comment about their always wanting to say Yes, to any request ON BOARD. What’s up with the early final payment dates? I thought after I was a past cruiser, I wouldn’t have a final due more than six months prior to my next cruise, but for June, they wanted me to pay by Sept. 30th.

It is all so strange, and without rhyme or reason.  We have three cruises booked.  One has a final payment of 11 months out, one of 6 months, and one of 4 1/2 months.  We have many Viking cruises under out belts,  and always another booked when we book the next one.  My advice, just ask for what you want.  You will probably get it up to six months.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, May B said:

Btw, Clay Clayton, I do like your comment about their always wanting to say Yes, to any request ON BOARD. What’s up with the early final payment dates? I thought after I was a past cruiser, I wouldn’t have a final due more than six months prior to my next cruise, but for June, they wanted me to pay by Sept. 30th.

It’s my understanding and experience the only way to get the six month final payment is to have a cruise booked or be onboard (which they count as having a cruise booked). Be advised that in order to get this six months rather than twelve, you have to get a supervisor’s approval. That happened yesterday when I put a booking on hold for a cruise next July and expected it to have a January final payment date. When it didn’t, our TA had to get the approval when she took over the booking (which we do to get her agency’s onboard credit.)

As SantaFe mentions, there has been some inconsistencies lately. We expected final payment for our Oct 22 cruise to be due immediately when we booked it in April 22 but it wasn’t due until July. Others have reported similar. 

You did get the $200 pp discount for booking within 12 months if disembarking I hope?

6 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

It’s my understanding and experience the only way to get the six month final payment is to have a cruise booked or be onboard (which they count as having a cruise booked). Be advised that in order to get this six months rather than twelve, you have to get a supervisor’s approval. That happened yesterday when I put a booking on hold for a cruise next July and expected it to have a January final payment date. When it didn’t, our TA had to get the approval when she took over the booking (which we do to get her agency’s onboard credit.)

As SantaFe mentions, there has been some inconsistencies lately. We expected final payment for our Oct 22 cruise to be due immediately when we booked it in April 22 but it wasn’t due until July. Others have reported similar. 

You did get the $200 pp discount for booking within 12 months if disembarking I hope?

There is a $200 pp discount, but I thought that was for being a past guest. It even seemed to refer to my level of past guest.

Should I be getting $200 pp, twice?

34 minutes ago, May B said:

There is a $200 pp discount, but I thought that was for being a past guest. It even seemed to refer to my level of past guest.

Should I be getting $200 pp, twice?

No only one $200 per person.  If you book within a year of your last cruise you get a $200 discount, after that it is $100. Link to the page that describes it. 

https://www.vikingcruises.com/about-us/explorer-society.html

You should also be aware of you refer someone and they inform Viking, they get a discount and so do you.  When I booked our next cruise a day or two ago, I was surprised to learn I had a $200 referral credit on my account….so that reduced the fare by that amount!  Here is a link to that information:

https://www.vikingcruises.com/about-us/referral-rewards.html

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2022 at 4:21 PM, Clay Clayton said:

Always ask.  On our Octantis B2B, March to May 2022, they fixed a deluxe nachos platter twice and S'Mores we had enjoyed on WC 2019.  

• Like 3