Galveston post-cruise ride to IAH

Jay Bee

Is there a line of vans/taxis/lyfts/shuttles available as you exit the terminal in Galveston? We've never been there, but in other ports rides seem to be available without having to reserve ahead of time. 

Just now, Texas Tillie said:

IAH is over 70 miles from the Galveston cruise terminal. You really need to have a plan on getting to the airport.

Yes, I know. But wouldn't taxis, etc. anticipate they could pick up fares at the port at the end of a cruise? And if I make a reservation with Lyft, for example, how do I choose a pick up time? I won't know exactly when the ship starts letting people off.

• 3 weeks later...

We have sailed from Galveston many times.  In my opinion, a taxi may be an option but a very expensive one.  There are a couple shared ride shuttles but then you need to judge what time you want to schedule.  Good luck with that.  My wife has been successful in doing that but there have been a couple times when things could very easily "gone south".  It is much easier and less stressful to simply use the cruise lines "shuttle" (bus).

4 hours ago, crusin okie said:

We have sailed from Galveston many times.  In my opinion, a taxi may be an option but a very expensive one.  There are a couple shared ride shuttles but then you need to judge what time you want to schedule.  Good luck with that.  My wife has been successful in doing that but there have been a couple times when things could very easily "gone south".  It is much easier and less stressful to simply use the cruise lines "shuttle" (bus).

Thank you. With all the things that might not go smoothly--fog, delays at customs--I was concerned about scheduling a shared ride. And I don't want to spend a week worrying about whether or not we'll make it off on time. I'm taking your advice.

22 hours ago, Jay Bee said:

Thank you. With all the things that might not go smoothly--fog, delays at customs--I was concerned about scheduling a shared ride. And I don't want to spend a week worrying about whether or not we'll make it off on time. I'm taking your advice.

We hope it works out as well for you as it has for us in the past.  It really is as stress free as you can get.  The only way we can think of to make debark day any easier is to have Luggage Valet available.  🙂

We have always hired a driver to take us to/from.  Galveston Island is small and even getting a taxi for just local rides to restaurants seemed limited.  If I had to be at IAH for a flight, not sure I would take the chance to just wing it.  

On 8/27/2022 at 11:38 AM, Jay Bee said:

And I don't want to spend a week worrying about whether or not we'll make it off on time. I'm taking your advice.

Not sure about Galveston port but we just used UberXL RSVP in advance at San Pedro and it worked great.  I made the RSVP the day before as we left Ensenada.  They will give you 30 minutes wait time before they start charging you, but they will still wait for you.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was on a carnival cruise.  There were shuttle busses available to go to both hobby and IAH.  I think the current rate is around $49 one way per person.   Search your cruise site  you should be able find options and cost there. 

There are a few companies offering shared transfers to either airport. You can google shared airport transfers from galveston. The only problem is if you are in a rush to catch a flight, it can take up to 2 hrs from port to IAH.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 6:43 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Not sure about Galveston port but we just used UberXL RSVP in advance at San Pedro and it worked great.  I made the RSVP the day before as we left Ensenada.  They will give you 30 minutes wait time before they start charging you, but they will still wait for you.  

It may have changed recently but Uber vehicles were not permitted in the POG lots due to contractural issues. I think Lyft vehicles were permitted.

Someone please correct me if I’m outdated on this.

2 hours ago, dan4182 said:

It may have changed recently but Uber vehicles were not permitted in the POG lots due to contractural issues. I think Lyft vehicles were permitted.

Someone please correct me if I’m outdated on this.

Uber is not permitted on Port property.  Lyft is as well as Saltwater Moms - who we have used several times to go to both airports (find on FB) and booked again for October.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

Uber is not permitted on Port property.  Lyft is as well as Saltwater Moms - who we have used several times to go to both airports (find on FB) and booked again for October.

This has changed. The Port of Galveston recently announced that Uber signed a deal with them so they can enter the cruise terminals. With the new Royal Caribbean opening in the next month and a half Uber saw the light and agreed to sign the ports deal.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2022 at 1:48 PM, Galveston Cruiser said:

Do you happen to know if Saltwater Moms will shuttle from Hobby to a local hotel the day before, or do they only shuttle from the airport to the terminal?

3 hours ago, stanggirl70 said:

Do you happen to know if Saltwater Moms will shuttle from Hobby to a local hotel the day before, or do they only shuttle from the airport to the terminal?

Anywhere you wish to go.  We use them from our home to the airports and back.  As we reside in Galveston 20 blocks from the port, we use a neighbor to and from the port.

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2022 at 10:30 AM, crusin okie said:

Do you have an idea what the R/T cost of RCL provided transportation to Bush Int'l.

7 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Do you have an idea what the R/T cost of RCL provided transportation to Bush Int'l.

I bought a one-way ticket last week. It was $39.95 per person and will go from the new terminal to Bush. So probably round trip is double that.

46 minutes ago, Jay Bee said:

I bought a one-way ticket last week. It was $39.95 per person and will go from the new terminal to Bush. So probably round trip is double that.

Thank you.  Saw a great fare for Harmony sail in December '23, but not many flights from Newark Int'l to Hobby.  But before I pull the trigger, wanted to examine pro and cons of Fl vs Galveston. 

Can you confirm that the ride is in the 1.20 hours.  If so, this is not too bad as the ride from Orlando airport to PC terminal is 1 hour.

8 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Thank you.  Saw a great fare for Harmony sail in December '23, but not many flights from Newark Int'l to Hobby.  But before I pull the trigger, wanted to examine pro and cons of Fl vs Galveston. 

Can you confirm that the ride is in the 1.20 hours.  If so, this is not too bad as the ride from Orlando airport to PC terminal is 1 hour.

I've never done it, but from what I've read it is very unpredictable due to traffic and construction. And during fog season the ship may be significantly delayed. RCL would not let me reserve a return if my flight was before 12:30pm.

I always use a prearranged shared shuttle Galveston Express. The service has been excellent.  My wife and I come down a day or two early to enjoy the island before the cruise and they drop you off at your hotel. After the cruise they pick you up at the port and stop at both Hobby and IAH. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to get to IAH on average.

• Like 1