Which Ship Would Be Best For Us Seniors -- Mediterranean Cruise

ajtraveler66

Our group of four seniors (not high school or college 🙂) has been looking at some outstanding itineraries for a 2023 Mediterranean cruise.  It's hard to decide what to do.  So, maybe the answer will lie in the ship that we feel best suits us.

We can take a little bit of the 'loud stuff', but we do like to concentrate our time on the quieter portions of the ship.  We do like good food, just like everyone.  And it's always nice to have one of those 24-hour restaurants available.  We will be spending the bulk of our time on excursions (since we'll be in Europe), but I'm sure we'll need to take a day or two off just to have some quality 'ship' time.

Of these five, which would you prefer to cruise on, knowing our circumstances:  Epic, Gem, Star, Breakaway, Viva.  Yes, we know that the Viva will be new.  And it's not the preferred itinerary, but I'm just throwing it out there anyway.  So mainly, of course, I suppose I'm asking about the Epic, the Gem, the Star, and the Breakaway.

I look forward to hearing from you.  

Edited by ajtraveler66

Given your choices, I would book either the Gem or the Star.  Small  ships still lots of food options and entertainment options.

I have a friend who just did a 12 day cruise on the Star and loved it.  I love the "Jewel" class ships.  Very easy to get from one place to another on board ship.  Great friendly staff.

Enjoy

• Like 1

The ship isn't primary for me.  I choose based on the itinerary .... ports that interest me, and with port times that provide enough time to enjoy sights and activities.  And price is pretty important also !

I did the EPIC  West Med cruise in Sept 2019 and LOVED everything about it.  Great ports, food,  entertainment and even our inside cabin was great. The cruise is port intensive so quite exhausting; so much to see.  And also, most ports were almost an hour away from the sightseeing location so it makes for a very long day. ie CIVI to Rome, Livorno to Florence.  It seemed like every day we got up at 6:30am, grabbed b'fast then headed to a train station, ran around all day taking in as much as we could, then back to the ship for a quick shower, change for dinner, then a show, then bed. 

This Sept I'm on the GEM for Greek Isles.  Looks like a more relaxing cruise in that we don't have to travel another hour to get to the sites yet I'm visiting ports I want to see, even tho some are a 2nd visit. The entertainment doesn't appear  to be to the same level as the EPIC where we enjoyed Cirque D Soleil, Burn the Floor and Howl at the Moon.  But I'm sure I'll enjoy it. 

In the past I used trip reports as a great resource, but sadly not to many people are posting when they return from the cruise.  

Good luck with your research and choice !

36 minutes ago, ajtraveler66 said:

Our group of four seniors (not high school or college 🙂) has been looking at some outstanding itineraries for a 2023 Mediterranean cruise.  It's hard to decide what to do.  So, maybe the answer will lie in the ship that we feel best suits us.

We can take a little bit of the 'loud stuff', but we do like to concentrate our time on the quieter portions of the ship.  We do like good food, just like everyone.  And it's always nice to have one of those 24-hour restaurants available.  We will be spending the bulk of our time on excursions (since we'll be in Europe), but I'm sure we'll need to take a day or two off just to have some quality 'ship' time.

Of these five, which would you prefer to cruise on, knowing our circumstances:  Epic, Gem, Star, Breakaway, Viva.  Yes, we know that the Viva will be new.  And it's not the preferred itinerary, but I'm just throwing it out there anyway.  So mainly, of course, I suppose I'm asking about the Epic, the Gem, the Star, and the Breakaway.

The Gem or Star. We’re “seniors “ too, and don’t need the bells and whistles of the Breakaway or the Epic!

12 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Given your choices, I would book either the Gem or the Star.  Small  ships still lots of food options and entertainment options.

I have a friend who just did a 12 day cruise on the Star and loved it.  I love the "Jewel" class ships.  Very easy to get from one place to another on board ship.  Great friendly staff.

Enjoy

Of the itineraries, I'm looking at, the one offered by the Star in April 2023 is impressing me the most.  Of course, I'm just one of three people.  But I will definitely share this information with the rest of the group.  (I'm the research guy ... so they are counting on my advice anyway.  LOL)

We are 74 and 76 so qualify as senior.  We've been on Gem sister ships Pearl, Jewel and Jade several times.  We've been on the Star at least twice and have been on Epic and Breakaway sister ship Getaway twice.  I would chose the Gem.  In fact we have chosen to take the Gem transatlantic next April followed by a Gem med cruise. 

Reason for recommending the Gem is that she has forward facing Spinnaker observation lounge and aft facing Great Outdoors.  Both are favorite places of ours on Jewel class ships.  On the Star the observation lounge was turned into suites which is fine if you are staying in one of them.

Here is a YouTube Gem ship tour done by Cruisemonkey.  This is a little older video and the slide on the pool deck no longer exists.  Not sure if the Gem rock climbing wall is still there.  However he hits all the highlights and video is only about 20 minutes.

YouTube is a good resource viewing ships.   I also like to look at the ship drone videos.  Here is a Gem example (slide by pool is gone but rock climbing wall still there).

Edited by kjquilts

1 hour ago, ajtraveler66 said:

The two smaller ships.  Your likely going to only have one or two ship days.  Most days you get into port in the morning and are coming back to the ship in time for dinner.    

Other than a good dinner and perhaps a show your not going to get a lot out of the ship amenities.  

Smaller ship means less of a zoo around the shore excursions in most cases.

The itineraries are pretty great on all of the ships so that has to be a consideration for you. But having done Med cruises on large and smaller ships, we would do small again. Especially when there are few, if any, sea days. We just found that after each very long day walking on cobblestone streets in the sunshine, then standing in line to get back on the ship, and then returning to the larger ship looking way down the oh-so-long hallway to our cabin, it was exhausting! 

If you have several sea days, then it isn't so bad. 

5 hours ago, ajtraveler66 said:

We would book the Breakaway or Epic. The Breakaway has a waterfront area for quiet sitting and contemplation. The Epic med cruises takes you to all of the main western med ports. As noted, the Viva will be new and will command a premium price.

I actually like both options. I enjoy the Breakaway/Plus ships for the variety of things to do. I just got off of the Star (July 25) and found many quieter places to go. So if it's quieter areas you like, go with Star or Gem.  Both have pros and cons. If I had to choose, as a solo cruiser, I prefer the larger ships because of the Studio cabin option and more entertainment variety.

We just got off the the Gem, mediterranean cruise. I think you will like the Spinnaker lounge at the front of the ship. Tends to be quiet (except when events are happening), and very comfortable cushy seating. Glass windows all around the front and sides to watch the water go by. The Jewel has this lounge as well.