New Sail Safe Covid Polices Effective 9/2/22

hernando52

9 minutes ago, NW Pacific said:

When I google Canada Covid Testing-  the first Covid Canada feed that comes up, which on top says Government of Canada.  the first paragraph states "Pre entry tests are not required for fully vaccinated travelers entering Canada by land, air or water".  I could not see a date for this information.  Very confusing.  Have seen on other Canada websites the opposite, unknow date of information, but still requiring testing.  So confused

As a Canadian, I can say it's confusing. I hope this clarifies (and this is my interpretation, so take it with a grain of salt).

The main link is here: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

But if you scroll down there is a special cruise travel section: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

My view is that this likely supersedes the previous info. As they're calling "Cruise Travel" something else

Case in Point:

• If you arrive by boat (including ferry), submit when you enter Canada
  • For travellers boarding a cruise ship, visit the Cruise ship travel page for requirements specific to cruise ships

Arrival by Water: Means entering Canada via water. AKA Boat, Ferry, (Seems to exclude Ship on purpose?) etc (Swimming?! LOL)

Cruise Ship Travel: Cruising Vacation or Embarking/Disembarking

Edited by bortman23

11 minutes ago, bortman23 said:

Honestly the key after Sept 2nd is: unless country requirements differ.

Currently Canada's requirements differ, so currently, yes to testing if you embark or go to a Canadian Port.

They're basically say "we don't require testing for vaccinated guests, unless a country requires it"

I'm 50/50 on this news. While I think it's fine to drop the testing for vaccinated guests, it does make things less streamlined. It's easier for everyone to understand then it's a one size fits all type thing. Either testing is a YES or a NO. When we through all the different Country requirements in there it's gonna be confusing.

Unfortunately, cruise lines can't wait for places like Canada to make changes or they will implode financially. There are only a few countries holding out for vaccine requirements and pre-testing. I suspect most of those will change their requirements. Follow the money. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Unfortunately, cruise lines can't wait for places like Canada to make changes or they will implode financially. There are only a few countries holding out for vaccine requirements and pre-testing. I suspect most of those will change their requirements. Follow the money. 

Yes I see the Cruise line restrictions in Canada eventually falling by the wayside.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fisical1 said:

For Canada (Alaska Cruise) Did they change the testing day to 3 from 2 days prior to the cruise?  I thought it was 2 days prior.

They expanded to allow antigen tests. The antigen tests are to be taken within 2 days of boarding, the PCR tests must be within an exact 72 hour window. If you try to board 72.5 hours after the test (theorectically) you will not be allowed to board, so be sure you leave plenty of time.

Like i said before, I predict that this will cause a lot of confusion, because there is a significant amount of NCL cruises for the 2022 season that depart from a US port, that still require testing or worst-case do not allow unvaccinated people at all. Such cruises that people need to watch during 2022 are: 

- Alaska cruises 

- Bermuda cruises

- Bahamas cruises

- Canada/New England cruises

- Transatlantic cruises (stopping in Bermuda)

- Few select Caribbean cruises

I would guess there are more cruises till the end of this year that will have some form of COVID requirement/restriction still in place, than nothing at all. Do your due diligence before booking any cruise for this year! 

What will add to the confusion are all the news releases, with headlines creating the impression that there are no more test/vaccination requirement on NCL. See below screenshot of the headlines from today: 

image.thumb.png.3327ed5b72bf8421e960c2fa0862fba5.png

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The Canadian cruising season will be over in a couple months.  I don't see cruise lines pulling out before then as Alaska cruises need to stop there and the Canada New England cruises are popular with northerners as there aren't too many places you can sail to in 7 days from New York and Boston. 

Edited by Crazy planning mom
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Crazy planning mom said:

The Canadian cruising season will be over in a couple months.  I don't see cruise lines pulling out before then as Alaska cruises need to stop there and the Canada New England cruises are popular with northerners as there aren't too many places you can sail to in 7 days from New York and Boston. 

I predict the current restrictions will stay in place for the remainder of the cruise season in Canada. And then we'll see what happens next season

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kasimir said:

Like i said before, I predict that this will cause a lot of confusion, because there is a significant amount of NCL cruises for the 2022 season that depart from a US port, that still require testing or worst-case do not allow unvaccinated people at all. Such cruises that people need to watch during 2022 are: 

- Alaska cruises 

- Bermuda cruises

- Bahamas cruises

- Canada/New England cruises

- Transatlantic cruises (stopping in Bermuda)

- Few select Caribbean cruises

I believe there are only a few destinations with covid vaccine protocols remaining. Bermuda, Canada, Greece, and Spain (possibly Netherlands).

Of course, all cruises visiting Alaska are effected by Canadas requirement due to the Foreign Port. I suspect Canada will change protocols.

Bermuda is a hold out because they don't need cruise revenue, but Transatlantic sailings could just remove Bermuda if they feel those protocols are  hurting revenue. 

If cruise lines see increased revenue with the new policies, i suspect they will just change itineraries to avoid places with covid protocols. 

Things are changing rapidly. France removed all protocols last week.

PS: Bahamas has removed all protocols.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

I agree that cruise lines likely won't pull out (although they may cancel the October sailings).

What I think is much more likely to happen is that Canada will change it's protocols. Just a speculation like everyone else. Time will tell. I don't mind coming back to this thread and admitting I am wrong 🙂

NCL’s website does not mention Netherlands, so I’m guessing they don’t require anything additional for it? 

We will be on the Star in September in Northern Europe with a stop in Amsterdam. We are fully vaccinated, so no issues there. I don’t get the impression Netherlands requires testing, just vaccination maybe?

15 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I agree that cruise lines likely won't pull out (although they may cancel the October sailings).

What I think is much more likely to happen is that Canada will change it's protocols. Just a speculation like everyone else. Time will tell. I don't mind coming back to this thread and admitting I am wrong 🙂

I don't know when Canada will drop their protocols.  However, those sailings won't be cancelled either way.    

• Like 1

A lot of us just got off the Getaway where almost all were vaxxed, and "all" tested prior. Many of us tested positive within 2 days of getting off the boat. At this point it is up to each person if they want the vax or not, but understand that most on the boat are going to get it unless they already had it recently. 

And I put the "all" in parentheses as we were at guest services on day 2 or 3 and they were sending a group of people to be tested because they didn't get tested prior but were somehow still let on the boat?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, davidwar said:

Just my luck they would end the testing in September.  I am sailing on the Spirit to Alaska a week from today.  Oh well...

Alaska cruises stop in a Canadian port so fall under the “country-specific exception” clause. Being vaccinated and a pre-test (or letter of recovery) will still be required after 3 September. 

bortman23- many thanks for your explanation.  Crazy, obviously, after Canada closed borders to cruise lines, then begrudgingly opened up, still wants them not to sail freely.  Oh well, politics be darned, no sense, but it is what it is, again thanks for the info

• Like 1

Cruise lines/ships can limit who can embark and what protocols they want to put in place to protect their crew and guests.  What they can’t control is if you contract COVID on an excursion and while mingling with others once off the ship.  That’s where the cases are coming from.

But, just read this a.m. that they’re sailings are beginning to approach capacity (the one I took early last month was AT capacity).  And, 85% capacity average over all their sailings in July.  As sailing at or near capacity goes up, and protocols change (as we expect them to do in the next month or so), I believe we’ll see more cases.

The hope is that there will not be another surge.  Mentioned before, the majority of those who are cruising are vaccinated (~90%+).  That will help.

Occupancy is expected to average in the low 80% range in the third quarter of 2022 with July voyages averaging approximately 85%. The Company continues to experience strong ticket pricing and onboard revenue generation with total revenue per Passenger Cruise Day up nearly 20% in the second quarter of 2022 versus 2019.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

The hope is that there will not be another surge.  Mentioned before, the majority of those who are cruising are vaccinated (~90%+).  That will help.

This coming from a guy who said a few days ago that Vaccination was here to stay because it's "proven to work and has helped NCL sail at capacity". I believe you also said NCL's financials were, and I quote, 'rosey" lol. Let me help clear up this fake news: 

1) NCL is not sailing at (or even near) capacity. They only managed 65% capacity last quarter. Yes, they reached 85% occupancy in July but this is no where near what is required for profit (then need 95% occupancy). Also note that reaching 85% occupancy during the busiest month of the year is not an accomplishment to brag about. It's important to present the entire quote (below).

2) NCL's financial picture is anything but 'rosey". They lost another 500 million in Q2 and expect further loss in Q3. Couple that with the fact that they are admitting they hope to reach 80% occupancy in Q3, a rosey picture this is not. 

image.thumb.png.f5065c997419d72ad494bbee51957a89.pngimage.thumb.png.979fc82a6c3bb85bb0582874b1c2950b.pnghttps://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2022/08/09/2494757/24500/en/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-Holdings-Reports-Second-Quarter-2022-Financial-Results.html

It's time to give up the ghost.

Edited to add: I'm currently listening to the conference call with FDR.... NCL just stated they do not expect to be profitable in all of 2022 (Q3 AND Q4). 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, funfetti said:

We cruise in October and I am feeling... defeated? Like I am leading my newly vaccinated toddler and senior parents directly into a cramped germ warehouse? I don't know.  We chose cruising over flying *because* they had enhanced safety protocols. If I could mandate that everyone with vacation-ruining communicable diseases be allowed FCC/refunds and be forced to stay home, heck yes I would do that!  Flu? Stay home! Norovirus? Stay home! Covid? Stay home!

It's especially frustrating because ships are still reporting staffing issues. NCL kids clubs are still fully closed for under 5s. Ships aren't ready to welcome more people back.

Our TA reported they haven't received official notice of the change, so no word on potential cancellation FCC or refunds based on the policy change.

Now that we know that the vaccinated can spread and catch COVID just as much as the unvaccinated, what does it matter if the unvaccinated are on the ship?  And shouldn't the vaccine protect you from getting a severe case?  Children have almost a 100% chance of recovery...you can't get better odds than that.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, pmms052999 said:

Now that we know that the vaccinated can spread and catch COVID just as much as the unvaccinated, what does it matter if the unvaccinated are on the ship?  And shouldn't the vaccine protect you from getting a severe case?  Children have almost a 100% chance of recovery...you can't get better odds than that.  

Exactly.   It's those who are unvaccinated who should be concerned.

• Like 1