Just got canceled

wacamaw

I have an October POA cruise booked and am starting to feel a tiny bit concerned. Having said that, there's also part of me that thinks NCL won't cancel since we splurged for a big 50th birthday and got a suite.  (I've never spent so much on a cruise.....and on one that has no sea days....go figure)  But I  don't see NCL wanting to give back that $$ plus FCC when they could cancel 2 other people who spent a 1/3 of what we spent.  Who knows?  Going to have to go with the flow on this. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jakebloke said:

I have an October POA cruise booked and am starting to feel a tiny bit concerned. Having said that, there's also part of me that thinks NCL won't cancel since we splurged for a big 50th birthday and got a suite.  (I've never spent so much on a cruise.....and on one that has no sea days....go figure)  But I  don't see NCL wanting to give back that $$ plus FCC when they could cancel 2 other people who spent a 1/3 of what we spent.  Who knows?  Going to have to go with the flow on this. 

Ugh -- not to be Debbie Downer but I've read several reports of people in suites, celebrating 50th anniversary trips, large groups, some on the pre-cruise land tour, etc all getting cancelled!  I hope for your sake you're not one of the unlucky.  We are sailing in January so I've been following POA cancellation stories.  The only rhyme or reason I've read/heard is people with NCL air and those who booked later than others are primarily getting cancelled.  

Good luck! 🙂

Edited by Paula_MacFan

10 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Ugh -- not to be Debbie Downer but I've read several reports of people in suites, celebrating 50th anniversary trips, large groups, some on the pre-cruise land tour, etc all getting cancelled!  I hope for your sake you're not one of the unlucky.  We are sailing in January so I've been following POA cancellation stories.  The only rhyme or reason I've read/heard is people with NCL air and those who booked later than others are primarily getting cancelled.  

Good luck! 🙂

Yeah.  Fingers crossed.  We booked early Feb 2022 and don't have NCL flights.  I guess if they do, we'll still go to Hawaii, just will be a different experience (some would argue the better way to do hawaii)  I just want them to let us know sooner than later so we can make arrangements.  

Just now, jakebloke said:

Yeah.  Fingers crossed.  We booked early Feb 2022 and don't have NCL flights.  I guess if they do, we'll still go to Hawaii, just will be a different experience (some would argue the better way to do hawaii)  I just want them to let us know sooner than later so we can make arrangements.  

Same here -- we've booked our own independent air fare (not leaving that up to someone else no matter the cost) and we also have hotels booked as 'Plan B' just in case.  I figured we're going to Hawaii one way or another, but I hope it's on POA 🙂 

I booked on the POA Hawaii cruise several months ago in a balcony cabin with the 2 for 1 airfare. Hearing about the severe staffing problems I booked for July of 2024, yes that’s right: 2024 with a $250 deposit. If these problems persist that long I can easily cancel eon’s before final payment, and go on the Paul Gauguin to Tahiti or Windstar.

Edited by Virginia100

1 hour ago, Virginia100 said:

Hearing about the severe staffing problems I booked for July of 2024, yes that’s right: 2024 with a $250 deposit.

Same here (except we're booked for Oct 2024).  We were originally booked in May 2022, and cancelled prior to final payment.  Then October 2022, which we also cancelled before final payment.  I told my family that we're not making any final payments until we are 100% convinced that POA has all of her major problems solved (i.e. we're back to the normal assortment of minor problems).

On 8/10/2022 at 2:57 PM, tetleytea said:

Like I said before, the reason they can't find staff is because they don't want to pay them more.   We're seeing the same issue all the time with "we can't find enough public school teachers, the armed forces can't meet their recruiting targets....".

Yes, they can. 

But would you dear taxpayer, be willing to see you taxes go up significantly to actually cover those increased salaries?  The answer to that for DECADES has been a resounding NO as evidenced at the ballot box. 

The staffing issue is more than just salaries. Employees need merchant marine licenses, special training etc. all of this takes time. You can’t hire today and start the employee next week. You are looking at 30-60 days before staff are actually on ship and working. Then there is attrition, which is VERY high for the POA historically as most American workers find that adjusting to shipboard life and work conditions is not for them. It is not unheard of for staff on POA to go ashore on day leave and just not return, ever. Even pre-Covid NCL has faced immense difficulties staffing this vessel, and even more so now.  The entire situation is chaotic and unpredictable.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

But would you dear taxpayer, be willing to see you taxes go up significantly to actually cover those increased salaries?  The answer to that for DECADES has been a resounding NO as evidenced at the ballot box. 

The staffing issue is more than just salaries. Employees need merchant marine licenses, special training etc. all of this takes time. You can’t hire today and start the employee next week. You are looking at 30-60 days before staff are actually on ship and working. Then there is attrition, which is VERY high for the POA historically as most American workers find that adjusting to shipboard life and work conditions is not for them. It is not unheard of for staff on POA to go ashore on day leave and just not return, ever. Even pre-Covid NCL has faced immense difficulties staffing this vessel, and even more so now.  The entire situation is chaotic and unpredictable.  

No argument there.

On 8/9/2022 at 12:38 PM, rm13 said:

I was cut from Sept 17 and we had a balcony. Was in a group of 10 with 5 rooms all cut- there was 3 balcony rooms. 

I'm on the Sept 17 sailing and haven't been cut (yet). We are booked in the obstructed oceanview so fully expected we would be among the first to be given the boot. We booked air separately (in fact, had that before we decided on the cruise), and we booked maybe 5 months ago. Not the earliest, not the latest. We also have requested disability accommodations onboard, and communications with the accessibility office indicate we are still a go. 

If we get canceled, I have a plan B ready. But I really don't want to have to deal with interisland flights right now. The HI airports seem to be a hot mess. 

On 8/15/2022 at 2:44 AM, jsn55 said:

Small Claims Court would be the only way to go.

It's the Small Claims Court route I'm taking and thankfully for me in the UK, they have an office registered in the UK that I've used for them in my legal action.  I've kept all correspondence including the postal receipts for the International 'Track and Signature' that I had sent to NCL head office in Miami and which were signed for.  My legal action has already provoked a response from NCL via their European Resolution Team.  They say they are ready to transfer my FCC to my September booking but one small problem - they have already cancelled my cruise!!  Too little, too late for that reply.

It’s especially sad this is happening with a cruise route that is only offered by NCL. It’s not like you can just hop on another line. Now if you can take 2 weeks off and do the roundtrip LA or San Francisco HI cruise, that is a lot of fun, but it’s not as in depth as the NCL roundtrip Honolulu.

• Like 1