Visas for AU and NZ

luv2ndhalf

It’s getting close….. and it looks like these cruises will finally happen!!

NOW I finally feel able to get excited and jump into fine tuning plans. 
Can someone please advise on how we get our travel visas? Do we need to download an app for each?  My travel agent said he would take care of it, but I’m not too sure about that 😬🙄
Thanks!

Hi, I’m a Canadian travelling to Brisbane for a 13 night cruise in March 2023.  I understand I will need an Australian visa, as I’m flying in to Brisbane; however, the cruise visits cities in New Zealand, so I was wondering if I also need a New Zealand visa?  Any help would be appreciated!  

This was posted by @possum52 regarding prices on a thread here several months ago.

I can confirm these are the prices of both the Australia and New Zealand visas.

Both are done on the cell phone, and both were approved for us very quickly (within 15 minutes).

Amazingly easy and I think reasonably priced.

On 5/30/2022 at 11:24 PM, possum52 said:

Cost

There is no Visa Application Charge (VAC). There may be an application service charge of AUD20.

Cost and processing time
Requesting an NZeTA costs NZD $9 through the app or NZD $12 if you use this form.
Allow up to 72 hours for processing, although it could take as little as 10 minutes.

The IVL
If you are entering New Zealand you must also pay an IVL, which funds tourism infrastructure and helps protect our natural environment. You pay the IVL at the same time as you request your NZeTA. The IVL costs NZD $35.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Australian ETAs and New Zealand NZeTAs are not visas; just like USA ESTAs and Canada eTAs are not visas.

They may not be visas, but they act in a similar way for citizens of countries which have a VWP and make it much simpler for those citizens to enter Australia, NZ, the USA and Canada.

Edited by possum52

49 minutes ago, possum52 said:

They may not be visas, but they act in a similar way for citizens of countries which have a VWP and make it much simpler for those citizens to enter Australia, NZ, the USA and Canada.

OK.  Electronic travel authorities are a means to pre-screen citizens desiring to enter a country under a VWP to ensure they are eligible to enter (under the applicable VWP) and admissible (i.e. they don't pose a law enforcement or security risk).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

OK.  Electronic travel authorities are a means to pre-screen citizens desiring to enter a country under a VWP to ensure they are eligible to enter (under the applicable VWP) and admissible (i.e. they don't pose a law enforcement or security risk).

Which means it is easier for visitors who are eligible to enter some countries. 

7 hours ago, possum52 said:

Which means it is easier for visitors who are eligible to enter some countries. 

I think it would be easier for me (Canadian) to visit Australia and NZ without having to apply and pay for an electronic travel authorization.  I don't have to do it to go to the US or most European countries (at least for now) and really don't see how it would make things any easier for me or US and European authorities to ensure I'm an acceptable visitor by imposing another fee on me.  Frankly, I see the proliferation of all these electronic travel authorizations as a knock-on, reciprocity-like cash grab by countries thinly disguised as law and security enforcement measures.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 9:37 PM, d9704011 said:

Australian ETAs and New Zealand NZeTAs are not visas; just like USA ESTAs and Canada eTAs are not visas.

Actually Australian ETAs are visas. Just because other countries may or may not be visas doesn't mean that Australian ones are not.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I think it would be easier for me (Canadian) to visit Australia and NZ without having to apply and pay for an electronic travel authorization.  I don't have to do it to go to the US or most European countries (at least for now) and really don't see how it would make things any easier for me or US and European authorities to ensure I'm an acceptable visitor by imposing another fee on me.  Frankly, I see the proliferation of all these electronic travel authorizations as a knock-on, reciprocity-like cash grab by countries thinly disguised as law and security enforcement measures.

But if you don't want to use an ETA, you would still have to apply for a visa to enter Australia. It is much cheaper to obtain an ETA. An equivalent visa would cost $150 and take much longer to complete the application process and waiting time. 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/visitor-600/tourist-stream-overseas#Overview

Edited by possum52
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 9:12 PM, d9704011 said:

I agree - it goes both ways.  Australians have to pay for an ETA if they want to visit Canada too

"Visa conditions

Australian passport holders must apply for an electronic travel authorisation (eTA) before travelling to Canada by air."

8 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

How far in advance do you need to apply for these?  We are planning a 70 day trip next year.  Do they have you put in the dates so getting them earlier is ok?

The ETA is valid for twelve months. If your passport has to be renewed before travel, you will need to apply for your ETA with your new passport. If your present passport doesn't need renewing, I would apply a few months before you travel, in case there are any problems with issuing the ETA. 

This link will explain the procedures for applying for an ETA. Information and procedure to apply for an ETA

Note - you need to apply using an app which is easily downloaded from your phone's app store.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

The ETA is valid for twelve months. If your passport has to be renewed before travel, you will need to apply for your ETA with your new passport. If your present passport doesn't need renewing, I would apply a few months before you travel, in case there are any problems with issuing the ETA. 

This link will explain the procedures for applying for an ETA. Information and procedure to apply for an ETA

Note - you need to apply using an app which is easily downloaded from your phone's app store.

Thank you for all your advice. Used your link and then applied on my phone.  Took less than 10 minutes and my status was granted within 2 minutes of submitting it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peteymil said:

Thank you for all your advice. Used your link and then applied on my phone.  Took less than 10 minutes and my status was granted within 2 minutes of submitting it!

Glad it worked easily for you. Enjoy your trip down under.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thank you to those in this thread for discussing the question of visas or permission to enter Australia and New Zealand.  SinbadthePorter seemed to answer me that, even if I’m cruising out of Australia and stopping at ports in New Zealand, I must also get a NZ visa or permission.  Can anyone confirm this?  Possum52?

thank you!

3 hours ago, ElvenRinger said:

Hi, thank you to those in this thread for discussing the question of visas or permission to enter Australia and New Zealand.  SinbadthePorter seemed to answer me that, even if I’m cruising out of Australia and stopping at ports in New Zealand, I must also get a NZ visa or permission.  Can anyone confirm this?  Possum52?

thank you!

Yes, you will need to apply for a NZeTA to cruise to NZ ports. NZeTA