Infinity... Just a few thoughts from our recent cruise.

SraLiz

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

I have a Greek Isles cruise booked on RCCL.  They swapped ships and I consider the replacement, Enchantment of the Seas, to be inferior to the ship (older) and cabin (much smaller, far worse layout) versus what I had previously booked.

So I did a refundable potential replacement cruise on Infinity.  It's about $1,000 more, but the cabin is a lot bigger and I suspect the food and service would be much better.

But I am concerned about the age and condition of Infinity.  Early this year, we sailed on Summit, which had been revolutionized and was in really nice shape.  But to my knowledge, Infinity hasn't had a major upgrade in quite a few years.

Is this a legitimate concern?  Any further thoughts about the condition of Infinity?

On right now.  It's our 5th time over the years.  Things look ok..there's rust here and there..but the big problem is staffing. This is all over the travel industry.  The dining room food is fine...nothing fabulous...the same old menus on most of the ships.  You really need to be on the Edge or the other newer ships to see a big improvement/change.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SraLiz said:

1620rock-

We booked the 2 hour trip with Celebrity.  They also offer a 3 hour catamaran trip that stops on a beach.  I am not sure I would book either one again. I prefer private tours, but we had OBC to use.  I did not see anyone hanging out selling tours on the beach.  But perhaps in the cruise port itself there may be some.  The 2 hour tour was on a boat that was full with 60 people.  No frills, water and rum punch.  The equipment was fine.  The reef is really just off the shore.  It was funny, one of the crew showed us where he lived, LOL 

Thank you for the info on the snorkel tour.  A group of 60 for snorkeling is a lot and the departure times is early for DH.  Our January cruise we had to do ship tours for most ports but I think that is dropped for Grand Turk I am going to look for a non-ship smaller group snorkel trip.  We didn't get much OBC for this cruise but we got a great price do don't mind paying more for non-ship tour if it means less waiting around and fins in the face.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 10:37 AM, SraLiz said:

We had a concierge room on deck 7.  I loved the location but I would not choose the concierge level again unless it was a really, really good deal.  (which is what we got with this one LOL). 

We are considering the infinity for a last minute cruise. (Conciege class) Are there electrical outlets near the bed? DH uses a cpap and needs electrical a 120v outlet near bed.  

14 hours ago, Cajuntraveler said:

We are considering the infinity for a last minute cruise. (Conciege class) Are there electrical outlets near the bed? DH uses a cpap and needs electrical a 120v outlet near bed.  

Whether or not there is a plug near bed should not be a concern. I was in a cabin on a different Celebrity ship (Eclipse) last month which had no plug next to bed for my cpap machine. I had emailed Celebrity special devices dept in advance and they had extension cord and distilled water for me (no charge) when I arrived in my room.

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2022 at 9:43 PM, Cap_D said:

If anyone is still reading, how does the state of the room get excused?  The minimum should be no missing tiles, nice towels, no rust on the balcony, etc.  The room sounds like it's 20 years old, and if it was a hotel it would be debadged.  Is the fare significantly discounted?

You are correct, but thats not the way it goes in the cruise business. We were in a Royal Suite on Eclipse last month. Carpets in public areas were worn and some smelled of mildew. While cabin was clean, the couches were old, faded and broken down..looked like a beat up couch in my fraternity house years ago! Crew was amazing and service was fantastic, so we had a great time, but Celebrity's lack of candor about when these ships will by "revolutionized" is very disappointing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, edgee said:

You are correct, but thats not the way it goes in the cruise business. We were in a Royal Suite on Eclipse last month. Carpets in public areas were worn and some smelled of mildew. While cabin was clean, the couches were old, faded and broken down..looked like a beat up couch in my fraternity house years ago! Crew was amazing and service was fantastic, so we had a great time, but Celebrity's lack of candor about when these ships will by "revolutionized" is very disappointing.

Thanks for the feedback.  Sounds like an expensive experience for worn out furniture and the smell of mildew even if the service is fantastic.  

We loved Bimini!  Rented a golf cart for $60 for the day.  We recommend getting out of the resort area and enjoy the island.  We found beers from 2 for $5 to $10 each.  Just have to watch for price of items.  Had wonderful conch fritters for $6.  Went to Radio Beach.  Got away from the small crowd and had a beautiful area to inflate our floats and bask in the sun in the clearest water.  The Bimini people are very nice and welcoming.  We felt very safe and enjoyed our day.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nado44 said:

Any tips or advice on where to get the carts?

Most of the carts are at the last tram stop (fisherman's village).  Some people said they paid $80.  We have used Sluggo and Renee several times and have always paid $60.  But their carts are getting in pretty bad shape.  There usually are many cart vendors to choose from at one place.

The biggest problem we had on the Infinity was the cabin.  There were continuous motor sounds coming from the ceiling.  The air con never went off..and there was, in addition, another motor sound too.  It could not be fixed. We toughed it out for the 7 nights.  We have cruised over 50 times and have never encountered this before.  Last time on this ship for sure.  It was cabin 6109. 

On 8/23/2022 at 12:47 PM, SraLiz said:

....review.....

Did you notice tables for two in the MDR? My wife and I usually prefer that, and this is our 55th anniversary cruise, so we'd especially like that. We sailed on the Summit in July, had a great time, but many of their "tables for two" were really tables for 10 since they were only 4-5 inches apart. Those were the tables by the window; we could have changed to a table for two far from the windows probably, but never bothered. In the few videos I've watched of the Infinity lately I did not see any tables for two.

Doug

Doug- the tables for 2 are limited but are available! We requested a table for 2 right in front of the stairs… steps are not in use during dinner… they had 3 tables kinda going around the bottom of the steps in a semi circle but seats back to back so no one was beside you. After the concierge lunch when our table for 2 turned into a table for 6, and our first night dinner turned into a table for 4… I was over it! Lol

i love the old way of sitting a the same large table and getting to know new people… but not new ones every night! Lol

have fun and Happy Anniversary!

1 hour ago, SraLiz said:

Doug- the tables for 2 are limited but are available! We requested a table for 2 right in front of the stairs… steps are not in use during dinner… they had 3 tables kinda going around the bottom of the steps in a semi circle but seats back to back so no one was beside you. After the concierge lunch when our table for 2 turned into a table for 6, and our first night dinner turned into a table for 4… I was over it! Lol

i love the old way of sitting a the same large table and getting to know new people… but not new ones every night! Lol

have fun and Happy Anniversary!

Thanks, appreciate the reply. We are different in that we prefer each other's company over a "crowd", we have had tables for 4+ before, and they were okay, we just prefer being alone. I guess we are just loners, especially during these "covid" times! 🤔

Doug

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Thanks, appreciate the reply. We are different in that we prefer each other's company over a "crowd", we have had tables for 4+ before, and they were okay, we just prefer being alone. I guess we are just loners, especially during these "covid" times! 🤔

Doug

There have been times when we requested to sit alone and no tables for two were available so we were given a table for four and sat alone. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kwokpot said:

There have been times when we requested to sit alone and no tables for two were available so we were given a table for four and sat alone. 

That's a good suggestion; thanks. I'll be visiting the maitre d' on boarding day and requesting for a table at which only two will sit. Hope we can get it, but not an absolute necessity. Hey, it's all good; it's a cruise, right?😎

Doug

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/11/2022 at 3:27 PM, DShier1a said:

In regards to the vax card. Does it have to be the original card stamped by the nurse who gave the shot....or does the QR code issued by the Canadian government work.My husband of course lost or threw out his original stamped card