CCL, Princess and P&O testing/vax changes announced - where is HAL?

9 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Given that most of HAL's ships are sailing routes that touch Canada or Greece, HAL can't eliminate the testing requirement before their ships move away from those countries that require tests. Rotterdam is the only ship, I think, sailing routes regularly that don't touch Canada or Greece.

Great point!  I hope that this is the reason they are slow announcing.  Add to that I saw somewhere that Panama Canal full transits were also a problem.

On 8/13/2022 at 12:25 PM, zhuangcorp said:

Why would Carnival announce this change but HAL not announce it?

Frankly (and I sure hope I am wrong or we will have to figure out how to get a test next May in Barcelona, as we are going early), I would not be surprised if HAL isn't the last line to announce a change in testing/vac requirements, as more than half of HAL is older people who have lost many friends to COVID and believe that vaccines do prevent COVID, and they expect that HAL will do a good job watching their health.  That said, I could be wrong, and I do know that HAL is allowing some passengers to board with a medical exemption and just a test.  Let's see what happens (and I admit to being a real HAL fan -- going on our 17th next May)

• Like 1

The smart move for Carnival as a corporation is to drop vaccine requirements on some lines but keep them on at least one. If either policy is going to drive away a slice of the market, chase the money to your other pocket and not someone else’s!
It’s only logical that Holland America, with the older clientele and traveling to a broad number of countries with varying requirements would be the line chosen to keep the stricter protocols the longest.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 2

And this is what I have been harping about. The costs to cover all of the negative outcomes of Covid protocols is getting very expensive and may be impossible to continue.  This article briefly discusses the cost of travel insurance.  in case this needs to be said HAL does not cover Covid protocols through self insurance, they purchase insurance to cover their expenses

https://www.thedailyupside.com/as-travel-resumes-insurance-claims-follow/

On 8/14/2022 at 2:39 AM, Lido deck main said:

My son just got back from the states on Thursday, he noticed they were randomly selecting people who were waiting to pick up their bag from the luggage carousel.  Another reason to just have carryon. 

Who's "they" ?

On 8/13/2022 at 10:37 AM, Mary229 said:

CCL has always allowed differentiated policies across their brands.   There is a new CEO and I do expect that to change but he only took the position a few weeks ago

Different themes, target audiences, onboard amenities; sure I understand that. 

But a consistent booking policy and T&C's across brands isn't a major ask. It would be much easier for the paying traveler to understand one comprehensive policy versus individual ones each line.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2022 at 2:12 PM, kenphy said:

Frankly (and I sure hope I am wrong or we will have to figure out how to get a test next May in Barcelona, as we are going early), I would not be surprised if HAL isn't the last line to announce a change in testing/vac requirements, as more than half of HAL is older people who have lost many friends to COVID and believe that vaccines do prevent COVID, and they expect that HAL will do a good job watching their health.  That said, I could be wrong, and I do know that HAL is allowing some passengers to board with a medical exemption and just a test.  Let's see what happens (and I admit to being a real HAL fan -- going on our 17th next May)

Easy peasy in Barcelona--at the airport. Just get them when you arrive. We got ours there in April,  prior to flying back to the US which still required them. You make reservations online and prepay in advance, show up to their clinic within the airport, get tested, and it shows up on your phone (along with a QR code), so you don't have to wait there for the results. https://flycovidtestcenter.com/en/barcelona-t1/

On 8/15/2022 at 7:37 AM, LMaxwell said:

But a consistent booking policy and T&C's across brands isn't a major ask. It would be much easier for the paying traveler to understand one comprehensive policy versus individual ones each line.   

Most paying travelers are smart enough to be able to choose which policy works best for them, and choose their cruise line accordingly. 

From Travel Weekly Aug 18, 2022: (underlining is theirs) 

"When cruise lines began announcing that unvaccinated travelers were welcome on their ships and preboarding testing would be a thing of the past for vaccinated guests, family travel advisor DeeAna Archer said that her clients began calling and texting her. 

They were ready to ditch their previous bookings and switch to a line with the least-restrictive regulations, said the Texas-based agent. 

Clients abandoned their bookings and quotes for Disney Cruise Line, which still requires children age 12 and older to be vaccinated. Others left Royal Caribbean International, which eased protocols on sailings from some ports but not from Florida.

Instead, Archer said, her clients often wanted to book Norwegian Cruise Line, the first of the major family-friendly cruise companies to eliminate vaccination and most testing requirements -- and the brand that a year ago was the most restrictive."  

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Most paying travelers are smart enough to be able to choose which policy works best for them, and choose their cruise line accordingly. 

"When cruise lines began announcing that unvaccinated travelers were welcome on their ships and preboarding testing would be a thing of the past for vaccinated guests, family travel advisor DeeAna Archer said that her clients began calling and texting her. 

They were ready to ditch their previous bookings and switch to a line with the least-restrictive regulations, said the Texas-based agent. 

Clients abandoned their bookings and quotes for Disney Cruise Line, which still requires children age 12 and older to be vaccinated. Others left Royal Caribbean International, which eased protocols on sailings from some ports but not from Florida.

Instead, Archer said, her clients often wanted to book Norwegian Cruise Line, the first of the major family-friendly cruise companies to eliminate vaccination and most testing requirements -- and the brand that a year ago was the most restrictive."  

This demonstrates that this vax/ un vax thing is more to do with children than adults. People are getting far too stressed out thinking there will be an army of unvaxxed seniors embarking .  That is not the case.  There will be a handful but most unvaxxed will be young children.  There is strong and legitimate discussions about whether young healthy children should be vaccinated. For example in Texas those over 65 are 97% vaccinated.  I feel confident in saying the 3% are those who have medical reasons not to be.

Edited by Mary229

If the country you visiting currently has a vaccination/testing protocol, best to check daily. Countries are relaxing covid protocols at a rapid rate. You can now add Bermuda to the list of countries welcoming the unvaccinated.

IMO: It's great to see countries following the most current data which is to treat unvaccinated no differently than the vaccinated when it comes to Covid. 

Bermuda Relaxes Vaccination Protocols: 

image.thumb.png.7341668f8a1882633fd4267de59b3e8a.png

https://www.gov.bm/coronavirus-travellers-visitors

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

IMO it's only a matter of time.

PS: I hope it's in time for your cruise 🙂

Exactly.  Hopefully the "matter of time" is before the end of October.  I really don't want to have to test the day we fly from Florida to Venice to catch the ship (MSC, not HAL). Also, some cruise lines are treating Greece differently (requiring preembarkation test) even if it's just a port stop.  NCL only requires a test if you embark in Piraeus.

Edited by Native Floridian 26
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Exactly.  I really don't want to have to test the day we fly from Florida to Venice to catch the ship. Also, some cruise lines are treating Greece differently (requiring preembarkation test) even if it's just a port stop.  NCL only requires a test if you embark in Piraeus.

It's such a mess right now. So many changes happened so rapidly. I think in a few weeks (months?) we will find that all cruise lines are singing off the same song sheet in terms of requirements. Of course, the countries can change again, but I just don't see that happening unless the hospitalization/death rate increases dramatically. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

But It's the adults who pay the cruise fare. They're the deciders.   

They are but I think much hoopla has been made with the assumption that there are huge “mobs” of unvaccinated adults when the truth is it is mainly children.   So HAL cruisers have to ask themselves besides the handful of unvaccinated adults who will sail just how many children do you anticipate on your sailing.  In my experience most children on HAL are nearly young adults and most of them are likely to be vaccinated,  it is the under 11 demographic that is more likely not to be.  Bottom line on HAL this is much ado about nothing.

adding: one could easily avoid these sailings as people have always done who seek to avoid sailing with children.  

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 10:27 AM, Boatdrill said:

Well I guess I'm just the stupid one out.  Silly me thinking numerous companies under a corporate umbrella might have a better customer experience by streamlining their policies.