Why did they stop giving you your S&S when you

ThaNectar

39 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Eons ago before FTTF came to be the question was put to John Heald before he and CC became unassociated😁.  As some CC members reported going to their cabins early being A PERK. Their rooms were made ready beforehand. John stated while it was an unspoken perk it was indeed a perk to be enjoyed by their most distinguish repeated cruisers.  That thread should be floating around here or other sites somewhere.

You and Patty enjoy your upcoming cruise .

If it was unwritten and unspoken, then it wasn't a perk. We also used to go to our cabin and drop off our stuff way before FTTF came along, however, as I have said numerous times already, it did NOT become an OFFICIAL perk until FTTF came along! Now, I'm done beating THIS horse, and we can discuss this further when we meet at the Alchemy Bar! :classic_biggrin:🍸

• Like 2

Guest BasicSailor
1 hour ago, Drew B 58 said:

It seems to me that if the card could be misplaced from the clerk working check-in, it could just as easily be misplaced from the steward delivering it to the room.  If it takes someone an extra fifteen minutes to find a misplaced card, I see no reason why it matters whether the someone looking for the misplaced card is a clerk on shore or a steward on the ship.  Either way, it’s an inefficiency that gums up the works…

Personally, I have found quite a few cards and turned them in to guest services. Once even a purse where the clerk opened the pocketbook and counted out all the money in front of me for some odd reason. Hopefully she received her purse back.

Edited by BasicSailor

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Cards are a waste of plastic and obsolete. Someday Carnival will progress. Meanwhile, why invest in old technology?

You answered your question already, lol.  Keyword "someday".   What would you suggest?   While I'm for all digital, there's still a large swath of folks who have a phone because they have too, not because they want/know how to use it.

They could go the digital band route (like Universal does for it's waterparks and Disney for all their parks).  Plain single color provided with fare, and a nice revenue stream with themed/licensed bands.?  Uh oh, did I just give them an idea? 😁

Guest BasicSailor
1 hour ago, Jamman54 said:

If it was unwritten and unspoken, then it wasn't a perk. We also used to go to our cabin and drop off our stuff way before FTTF came along, however, as I have said numerous times already, it did NOT become an OFFICIAL perk until FTTF came along! Now, I'm done beating THIS horse, and we can discuss this further when we meet at the Alchemy Bar! :classic_biggrin:🍸

If you say so , it must be true Image result for funny face animation gif

8 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

1. They can still take your pic at check-in if you're using a birth certificate or if they can't get (or don't like) the pic from your passport.  But they do realize time savings from the 90%(ish) of people who use passport.

2. They block or severely limit your ability to charge your S&S until you've made a cash deposit at the kiosks or Guest Services.  Then if you charge more than you deposited, they block you from charging until you deposit more.

They can't grab a photo from passport cards and just take a photo.

5 hours ago, tweak89 said:

Regardless of why they are doing that they are now, I always wondered why they wouldn't just print/activate them on the spot.  Card printers are fast and activating them is also fast.  

Probably because card printers need to be tied to stationary equipment.  The check-in iPads belong to the ship and are not kept in the terminals since another cruise line will use the same terminal

51 minutes ago, tweak89 said:

You answered your question already, lol.  Keyword "someday".   What would you suggest?   While I'm for all digital, there's still a large swath of folks who have a phone because they have too, not because they want/know how to use it.

They could go the digital band route (like Universal does for it's waterparks and Disney for all their parks).  Plain single color provided with fare, and a nice revenue stream with themed/licensed bands.?  Uh oh, did I just give them an idea? 😁

Do you know how many times the Disney system crashes? 

1 hour ago, BasicSailor said:

Personally, I have found quite a few cards and turned them in to guest services. Once even a purse where the clerk opened the pocketbook and counted out all the money in front of me for some odd reason. Hopefully she received her purse back.

It's not odd. It's what you do to confirm the amount so the guest cannot say she had more.

Edited by notplatinum

Guest BasicSailor
5 minutes ago, notplatinum said:

It's not odd. It's what you do to confirm the amount so the guest cannot say she had more.

Still, awkward feeling to me .

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Do you know how many times the Disney system crashes? 

Lol, well that's a whole other story (and part of why we stopped going and switched to Universal and Six Flags for our theme park fix).  

9 hours ago, tweak89 said:

Regardless of why they are doing that they are now, I always wondered why they wouldn't just print/activate them on the spot.  Card printers are fast and activating them is also fast.  

3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Probably because card printers need to be tied to stationary equipment.  The check-in iPads belong to the ship and are not kept in the terminals since another cruise line will use the same terminal

I've only seen cards printed at check-in where the major cruiselines have exclusive use of specific terminals, e.g. Carnival and Royal in Miami, and that was years ago.  Nowadays check-in for the major cruiselines is primarily done on tablets, making the process portable or mobile, not even done on a laptop connected to a card printer.

10 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I've only seen cards printed at check-in where the major cruiselines have exclusive use of specific terminals, e.g. Carnival and Royal in Miami, and that was years ago.  Nowadays check-in for the major cruiselines is primarily done on tablets, making the process portable or mobile, not even done on a laptop connected to a card printer.

The tablets used are brought onto the ship and used in ports.

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Yeah, because Carnival has bankloads of cash right now to spend on "nice to have" investments with no net financial benefits (reducing expenses or increasing revenues)🙄

You realize someone is printing the exact same amount of cards and why do you care what it costs Carnival,? Do you even know how many people are involved in the card printing process?

9 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

I am not fond of our room keys hanging out in our room door mail box. However, if this process can speed up any thing about the onboarding process I am all for it. 

I bet you never ever thought about keys ever during the check in process. No system of check in is faster than any other

2 hours ago, notplatinum said:

You realize someone is printing the exact same amount of cards and why do you care what it costs Carnival,? Do you even know how many people are involved in the card printing process?

Please learn how to read. I said nothing about the number of people needed to print cards. But since you went there, the time of the crew printing cards on the ship is a fixed cost.  The time of the shoreline contractors who some are saving should print cards at checking is a variable cost. 

Even when cards were distributed at check-in, they were still printed on the ship at the end of the previous sailing.  Notwithstanding the fact that the current process works, the investment required to print cards in the terminals is simply not going to happen with the current operating environment where cruiselines are still struggling to break even and stop the negative cash flows.

6 hours ago, notplatinum said:

You’re really naive enough to ask that question? How many people are involved in the card printing process? Printing isn’t the issue. Delivery is the variable.

6 hours ago, notplatinum said:

I bet you never ever thought about keys ever during the check in process. No system of check in is faster than any other

Wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Please learn how to read. I said nothing about the number of people needed to print cards. But since you went there, the time of the crew printing cards on the ship is a fixed cost.  The time of the shoreline contractors who some are saving should print cards at checking is a variable cost. 

Even when cards were distributed at check-in, they were still printed on the ship at the end of the previous sailing.  Notwithstanding the fact that the current process works, the investment required to print cards in the terminals is simply not going to happen with the current operating environment where cruiselines are still struggling to break even and stop the negative cash flows.

You do not know that.  PS.  Why do you care what costs are to Carnival or any other cruise line?

Edited by notplatinum