Where to next? And with who?

Alicop21

57 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We've had great family cruises on P and O, Royal Caribbean and Carnival

Carnival have some very affordable cruises. They are good quality and great fun for families. Probably the most fun we've had.

However, I doubt they will be cruising from Southampton

We did a great 14 night Mediterranean Cruise from Barcelona on Carnival Vista in the past

Carnival sail from Dover in the summer months. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Alicop21 said:

For us, it just all felt completely different. The Iona cruise was to the Norwegian Fjords and we splashed out on a balcony cabin. We were blessed with glorious weather (we went during the Easter holidays) and it was off the back of such an amazing holiday high that we decided to book another.

The cruise on Ventura was in the summer holidays and it felt very 'summer holiday.' The pools were rammed and a lot of parents were just off drinking all day and leaving their kids to their own devices. Clearly it was a 'different kind of holiday' and we were totally open to that. All our kids wanted to do was be in the pool too!

The ships though are completely different. Ventura felt very 'tired.' We realised it wound't be as 'modern' as Iona but bits of the pool were coming off, parts of the deck had holes in it, the food was as good but not as much choice. The big difference was how dark it felt. Iona felt bright, light and wanted you to see the sea. On Ventura, we struggled to find anywhere inside where we could just watch the world sail by. The staff on both were amazing though and all of them deserve praise for working with masks on and having to deal with 'brits abroad.'

Maybe I am being overly critical and maybe we just lucked out on our Iona cruise. But for, us, they felt like two totally different cruise lines yet they were both P&O we paid pretty much the same price. 

I’ll have to come back in November when I’ve been on iona but sometimes I find it’s more to do with the weather and the people on the ship. But most of the prices in the summer holiday seem to be based on itinerary and length rather than the ships, like you don’t seem to pay more for the newer ships but what your getting. 

we’ve looked at royal Caribbean and would love to go on it but the prices from Southampton are double than that for p&o or msc. 

2 hours ago, Alicop21 said:

For us, it just all felt completely different. The Iona cruise was to the Norwegian Fjords and we splashed out on a balcony cabin. We were blessed with glorious weather (we went during the Easter holidays) and it was off the back of such an amazing holiday high that we decided to book another.

The cruise on Ventura was in the summer holidays and it felt very 'summer holiday.' The pools were rammed and a lot of parents were just off drinking all day and leaving their kids to their own devices. Clearly it was a 'different kind of holiday' and we were totally open to that. All our kids wanted to do was be in the pool too!

The ships though are completely different. Ventura felt very 'tired.' We realised it wound't be as 'modern' as Iona but bits of the pool were coming off, parts of the deck had holes in it, the food was as good but not as much choice. The big difference was how dark it felt. Iona felt bright, light and wanted you to see the sea. On Ventura, we struggled to find anywhere inside where we could just watch the world sail by. The staff on both were amazing though and all of them deserve praise for working with masks on and having to deal with 'brits abroad.'

Maybe I am being overly critical and maybe we just lucked out on our Iona cruise. But for, us, they felt like two totally different cruise lines yet they were both P&O we paid pretty much the same price. 

My brother in law is currently on Ventura, in Madeira as first port.  Very experienced regular cruiser on P&O, RCI and Cunard.  He reports Ventura a big disappointment to date. Crew are working extremely hard and he cannot fault the service but the ship is as he put it "sad".  The weather hasn't been the very best humid and cloudy so people looking for things to do and places to sit.  Has been crowded with lots hitting the bottle as he puts it.

He states overall condition is poor in comparison when he last sailed on her in 2019 and generally tired, he especially mentiond his television not working.  He has paid for full trip wifi but it only works on his wife's phone and not the laptop. Technology guys trying their best but to date it simply isn't working.  He mentions limited food choice in MDR as a disappointment compared with the last P&O cruise we did as a family on Britannia.  Overall he says he did not pick wisely and wishes he'd taken the other options he had of either Britannia or Queen Victoria.

Hearing this I understand your disappointment and suggest sticking with Iona or trying Arvia or Britannia.  Otherwise if you can stretch to it go RCI as their great for children and there is masses to do for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alicop21 said:

Thank you. I think we’ll have to go with low expectations of the condition of the ship & the busyness. It’s just me and my husband going so we may well pay for a cruise long pass to the Retreat. We also booked a C deck balcony cabin as the balconies are bigger so we can sit there if it’s too busy on deck.

We really wanted to do a 2 week cruise somewhere warm (hopefully) and Ventura cost-wise & dates-wise was our best option.

If it were just me I’m sure I’d be happy on any ship as long as I can sit outside armed with my kindle and my camera and not have to cook or iron! 😊 but as I persuaded my husband to cruise I feel responsible for if he likes it too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

For children and young adults the facilities on Royal Caribbean are awesome and very much worth paying extra for.

It is just Pauline and me and we have 4 P&O and 2 RC booked.

I agree the facilities for the youngsters on Royal are fab. Having said that who knows what Arvia will offer for them as  P & O seem to be moving in the family direction.

Whatever ship you choose I am sure you will have a wonderful time

Michelle

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alicop21 said:

Sorry to hear Ventura was disappointing.

The newer and bigger ships are like floating resorts especially the Royal Caribbean ships.

I considered a Ventura cruise this October at a good price but decided no. I have cruised on Ventura and Azura several times and the only venue I really enjoy is the Glass House. The ships are 15 and 13 years old and IMO in desperate need of a major refurbishment.

Don't rule out Royal Caribbean.  There is so much to do on their ships that you and the family will not be bored.  Also, no one seems to have mentioned NCL?  It's a good while since we sailed on any of their ships so I'm not up to date with everything, but I'm pretty certain that they cater for families.

Have fun choosing!!