First everything

ccdeton

Not only is this my first post here and not only did I book my first SS cruise, my first transatlantic crossing (April 23rd Bridgetown to Lisbon on the Silver Dawn), it will also be my first cruise ever. So I apologize in advance for any and all stupid or ignorant questions:

1.I will be traveling solo and I plan to mind my own business; relaxing, reading, exercising hard and probably eating and drinking a bit too much. I don’t mind striking up a conversation here or there or having the occasional meal/drinks/trivia with other people but prefer to be mostly on my own even in the public spaces. Is that an OK thing to do? I don’t care much what other people think but don’t want to put people off if it is expected that everybody is sociable all the time. (Of course I will be well behaved).

As to practicalities:

2.By reading this forum I have a pretty good idea of the dining options. I understand some venues prefer reservations (Terrazza and Grill). Is it possible to make those on the day if I am flexible with timings or even walk in or do those places fill up every evening?

3.I know that internet is slow so streaming is out but will the network allow me to download a few Netflix episodes overnight or is that blocked?

4.Is self disembarkation a thing on SS? I would prefer that in Lisbon.

5.Will the gym get busy at times?

Any insights from the regulars are much appreciated, thanks.

Hi, I always sail solo and you can be by yourself as often as you want and whenever you want. It is quite easy to meet others ( if you want). They do offer a cocktail hour for solos if you want to attend but there is never any pressure. 

Hope this helps a bit and welcome to SS and your first cruise😀

• Like 1

1. No problem. Luxury is what you make of it. 
2. It depends. You can always ask. 
3. Probably not. But you may be able to download in advance and bring some things with you? There are movies on demand in your suite. 
4.  Not really, but ask reception if this is important to you. 
5. Maybe, depending on how full the ship is, the voyage demographics and the time of day. 
HTH!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ccdeton said:

I will be traveling solo and I plan to mind my own business; relaxing, reading, exercising hard and probably eating and drinking a bit too much. I don’t mind striking up a conversation here or there or having the occasional meal/drinks/trivia with other people but prefer to be mostly on my own even in the public spaces. Is that an OK thing to do? I don’t care much what other people think but don’t want to put people off if it is expected that everybody is sociable all the time.

I have a friend who shares this preference. But she also enjoys a solitary pre-dinner drink in the bar, etc.  Her strategy is to carry a book or magazine and pretend to be reading it or at least holding it on her lap. This sends a signal and helps avoid situations in which some well-meaning person/couple seek to join you assuming that you are lonely and in need of company.  

• Like 3

As someone who goes to the gym an average of 350 days a years, including every day on vacations that have facilities, I can answer that question.  Generally early

mornings, 7am,  are the best time but the first few days can be busy. Those days you get the hardcore gym people, occasional gym person and, the all to easy to spot, vacation gym people.  By day 3 only the hard core gym people remain.  Mid mornings and mid afternoons can also get busy but I’ve never had an issue getting a good workout in. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ccdeton said:

4.Is self disembarkation a thing on SS? I would prefer that in Lisbon.

We almost always disembark independently. Last November in Lisbon, we walked off Silver Spirit, grabbed our bags, and then walked 5 minutes to the nearest Metro stop. We proceeded to buy tickets and then took the Metro to our hotel. No issue whatsoever. Can't imagine how to be more independent than that.

About halfway through the cruise, they will provide a disembarkation questionnaire. Simply indicate that you have made independent arrangements, and select a preferred time to disembark. Could not be easier. Enjoy your cruise!

My approach to your questions will be a bit different than the others who’ve responded.  

1.Is that an OK thing to do?

Only after you have babysat another passenger’s child one evening.  Every 7-days of sailing requires 1-night of babysitting. Or, at least this has how it’s worked when we’ve sailed with Silver Princess.   Failure to babysit and you have to agree to be sociable at anytime when approached by other passengers.  Your choice, of course.

2. Is it possible to make those on the day if I am flexible with timings or even walk in or do those places fill up every evening?

“Day of” reservations are recommended as walk-up can be exceptionally difficult, at times.

3.I know that internet is slow so streaming is out but will the network allow me to download a few Netflix episodes overnight or is that blocked?

Nope.  Your chances are slim to none.

4.Is self disembarkation a thing on SS?

I don’t even know what this question is asking.  We always disembark ourselves, no assistance necessary.

5.Will the gym get busy at times?

😅😂🤣

Any insights from the regulars are much appreciated…

Hopefully you enjoyed your introduction to Stumblefoot.  I’m the ornery one here.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I always sail solo and you can be by yourself as often as you want and whenever you want. It is quite easy to meet others ( if you want). They do offer a cocktail hour for solos if you want to attend but there is never any pressure. 

Hope this helps a bit and welcome to SS and your first cruise😀

Reassuring to hear that I can do my own thing, thanks,

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Observer said:

I have a friend who shares this preference. But she also enjoys a solitary pre-dinner drink in the bar, etc.  Her strategy is to carry a book or magazine and pretend to be reading it or at least holding it on her lap. This sends a signal and helps avoid situations in which some well-meaning person/couple seek to join you assuming that you are lonely and in need of company.  

Aha, the classic book armour.

7 hours ago, gcornell said:

As someone who goes to the gym an average of 350 days a years, including every day on vacations that have facilities, I can answer that question.  Generally early

mornings, 7am,  are the best time but the first few days can be busy. Those days you get the hardcore gym people, occasional gym person and, the all to easy to spot, vacation gym people.  By day 3 only the hard core gym people remain.  Mid mornings and mid afternoons can also get busy but I’ve never had an issue getting a good workout in. 

That is encouraging. I normally have a (longish) running session afternoon and a morning weights session. Interesting that it drops off so sharply after a few days.

5 hours ago, jpalbny said:

We almost always disembark independently. Last November in Lisbon, we walked off Silver Spirit, grabbed our bags, and then walked 5 minutes to the nearest Metro stop. We proceeded to buy tickets and then took the Metro to our hotel. No issue whatsoever. Can't imagine how to be more independent than that.

About halfway through the cruise, they will provide a disembarkation questionnaire. Simply indicate that you have made independent arrangements, and select a preferred time to disembark. Could not be easier. Enjoy your cruise!

Excellent. I can handle my stuff easily so seems like a time/hassle saver. Just get to my day hotel in Lisbon quickly, enjoy the city and on to my flight back to the Netherlands in the evening.

5 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

My approach to your questions will be a bit different than the others who’ve responded.  

Only after you have babysat another passenger’s child one evening.  Every 7-days of sailing requires 1-night of babysitting. Or, at least this has how it’s worked when we’ve sailed with Silver Princess.   Failure to babysit and you have to agree to be sociable at anytime when approached by other passengers.  Your choice, of course.

“Day of” reservations are recommended as walk-up can be exceptionally difficult, at times.

Nope.  Your chances are slim to none.

I don’t even know what this question is asking.  We always disembark ourselves, no assistance necessary.

😅😂🤣

Hopefully you enjoyed your introduction to Stumblefoot.  I’m the ornery one here.

Thanks for your different perspective. Not sure if I get it completely but that could be my thick Dutch brain, haha.

16 hours ago, ccdeton said:

Not only is this my first post here and not only did I book my first SS cruise, my first transatlantic crossing (April 23rd Bridgetown to Lisbon on the Silver Dawn), it will also be my first cruise ever. So I apologize in advance for any and all stupid or ignorant questions:

1.I will be traveling solo and I plan to mind my own business; relaxing, reading, exercising hard and probably eating and drinking a bit too much. I don’t mind striking up a conversation here or there or having the occasional meal/drinks/trivia with other people but prefer to be mostly on my own even in the public spaces. Is that an OK thing to do? I don’t care much what other people think but don’t want to put people off if it is expected that everybody is sociable all the time. (Of course I will be well behaved).

Welcome!

I travel solo all the time. 

After trying most of the mainstream lines, my first SS was a TA Bridgetown to Lisbon ten years ago on the Spirit. Totally hooked at first cruise. SS treats solos much better than any other line I've sailed.

Your paragraph 1. describes exactly how I cruise (excluding the exercising hard) and it works just fine. I am not sociable all the time. Always carry a book and my iPad.

I have 428 days now with SS and 9 more cruises booked. 'Nuff said?

P.S. When Stumbles says:

He's not referring to you, it's a joke about himself.

Happy sails!!

• Like 3

Welcome, ccdeton!  Can you share with us why you chose Silversea for your first cruise?  (I am not in the marketing department, I just think we can all benefit from seeing things fresh through a new perspective).

As far as wanting to be alone, I think one of the advantages of Silversea is the fact that even though they are small ships, the ratio of space to passengers is quite high. In other words, there will be lots of spots where you can sit by yourself and have lots of space away from other folks.  You won't be crowded into a small room bumping elbows with your neighbors.

That being said, prepare for a few folks to want to start up conversations if you are alone.  They are only trying to be helpful and friendly.  

As you said, the classic book armor might help keep folks at bay.

Welcome, and I hope you have an amazing cruise.

1 hour ago, Observer said:

It need not be a classic book like Austen or Dickens or Trollope.

A title like this, conspicuously displayed, might be effective in ensuring your solitude.

image.jpeg.b39c406535e5dd7dc4bdaf1114e32cad.jpeg

Well that certainly looks like a classic in the sea transport homocide genre

1 hour ago, dawntrdr said:

Welcome, ccdeton!  Can you share with us why you chose Silversea for your first cruise?  (I am not in the marketing department, I just think we can all benefit from seeing things fresh through a new perspective).

Thanks for the welcoming words. I did look for a line without much queuing and crowds. The F&B offering looked interesting, good fitness and itinerary fit. I found the price also attractive, even for a repositioning cruise. In fact I cannot quite believe how they can offer what they do considering single occupancy. I also looked at Ponant. I think I would like the French style at sea but the ship was too small for me. Not enough elbow room and dining options. The interior decoration looks superior though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Welcome!

I travel solo all the time. 

After trying most of the mainstream lines, my first SS was a TA Bridgetown to Lisbon ten years ago on the Spirit. Totally hooked at first cruise. SS treats solos much better than any other line I've sailed.

Your paragraph 1. describes exactly how I cruise (excluding the exercising hard) and it works just fine. I am not sociable all the time. Always carry a book and my iPad.

I have 428 days now with SS and 9 more cruises booked. 'Nuff said?

P.S. When Stumbles says:

He's not referring to you, it's a joke about himself.

Happy sails!!

Nice to see there are like minded people here. As for solo treatment: not sure about solo drinks happy hour but if the cruise director can hook me up in a solo trivia team, that would be good. Just as a table for one in restaurants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

As far as wanting to be alone, I think one of the advantages of Silversea is the fact that even though they are small ships, the ratio of space to passengers is quite high. In other words, there will be lots of spots where you can sit by yourself and have lots of space away from other folks.  You won't be crowded into a small room bumping elbows with your neighbors.

That being said, prepare for a few folks to want to start up conversations if you are alone.  They are only trying to be helpful and friendly.  

As you said, the classic book armor might help keep folks at bay.

Welcome, and I hope you have an amazing cruise.

Actually some interaction with others would be great. I certainly don't want to discourage that too much. Maybe even share a bottle from the conaisseur's list as I saw some great wines on the menu posted here, for bargain prices in some cases.

3 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

Dunno about the OP, but I can tell you why I moved up from Princess where I had elite status. 
Three simple words:

Low solo supplement. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 4:19 AM, ccdeton said:

I'm in exactly the same unaccompanied "boat" except I've just booked my second cruise, first on SS, immediately after finishing my first, on Ponant.

I don't wish to be viewed as a 'solo' or a 'single' traveller; I'm just a passenger who happens to be unaccompanied.  Treat me like a member of a couple whose other half happens not to be with them right now.

I had a delightful first cruise, unaccompanied. Dined, mixed and was accepted when I wanted, tootled off by myself when I wanted.  As when I did land tours by myself, I met and engaged a lot more with other people then when I've travelled with friends.

You'll be fine, we'll be fine 🙂.

Edited by Pumblechook
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

FWIW, I moved after my first cruise on Ponant across to SS for an Antarctic cruise because although Ponant were offering zero Single Supplement on their Antarctic cruises '23/24, and I would have received a 5% discount, they were for the inferior cruises - complete end of the season, or very short cruises. I never wanted to take a 'luxury' cruise but I swallowed hard with a 25% single supplement as it is a great itinerary over December 2023.

18 hours ago, ccdeton said:

Nice to see there are like minded people here. As for solo treatment: not sure about solo drinks happy hour but if the cruise director can hook me up in a solo trivia team, that would be good. Just as a table for one in restaurants.

SS doesn't do solo trivia items, it just does trivia teams. No problem. Easy to join a team.

It's much more important than solo, couples or groups to have a team of mixed nationalities, ages, and interests to cover as wide a field as possible. Six or eight to a team.

Be warned, trivia is taken seriously (in a laughing way) on SS.  Some of the most interesting fun on the whole cruise. Don't miss it!

Don't worry about solos drinks hour - check it out at the beginning of the cruise and go back if it clicks, don't worry if it doesn't suit you, there's no pressure or hassle. It is however, the easiest way to get to dine with other solos. Or you can pass by, tell them you'd like to dine with them but are having a drink elsewhere first, and they'll let you know where and when they'll be dining.

I usually eyeball the gathering from the other side of Dolce Vita (where it is generally held) and don't bother with it any more. I like dining on my own.

Edited by jollyjones