Vaccines no longer required US guests/sailings

styles27

3 hours ago, Longimanus said:

Yet, the US doesn't require a test for international travellers anymore. So it makes 0 sence for MSC to say that US residents don't have to test, while all other have to. Just plain silly, borderline stupid if you ask me. 

We'll be sailing out of Miami with MSC in November (I know a lot can change by then), but I'll be pretty annoyed if we have to test because we're Belgian, while all the US residents don't have to worry about it.

Not all US residents, unvaccinated residents still have to test. 

I know it’s frustrating but at least we are moving in the right direction. 

I personally won’t cruise from an international port until they lift the Covid restrictions. It is too much of a headache to have to stress about testing positive then being stuck in a foreign country. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, styles27 said:

I personally won’t cruise from an international port until they lift the Covid restrictions. It is too much of a headache to have to stress about testing positive then being stuck in a foreign country. 

The bigger problem, for those of us who travel to Europe, are the airline/airport strikes and flight cancellations.  Getting "stuck" in Europe happens to many because of flight problems.  We were recently in Europe and considered ourselves lucky to actually get home on the same day as planned despite 2 cancelled flights and being rebooked onto a different airline flying to a different airport!  

Hank

• Like 2

2 hours ago, styles27 said:

I get what you’re saying and it’s probably going to change pretty quickly (one way or another). But it is just not logical to make a difference based on nationality. We’re just as vaccinated as vaccinated US residents are.

Not cruising from an international Port is not an option for someone from Belgium. Plus weather in Europa is pretty bad end of year 

Rant over 😎

Edited by Longimanus
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The bigger problem, for those of us who travel to Europe, are the airline/airport strikes and flight cancellations.  Getting "stuck" in Europe happens to many because of flight problems.  We were recently in Europe and considered ourselves lucky to actually get home on the same day as planned despite 2 cancelled flights and being rebooked onto a different airline flying to a different airport!  

Hank

Glad you made it back without too much of a delay!  
I feel fortunate that we travelled to Europe in 2019 right before all of this craziness. Not sure if or when we’ll go back as getting home when we’re supposed to is pretty important to us. 

If Covid has taught me anything it’s that I need to be flexible. Not easy to learn at my age. 🙈

As a fully vaccinated resident of Canada, I can not understand why I would have to still test before getting on when we have the same covid rules, or stricter than many of the states in the US of A? I would fully understand people that are unvaccinated being tested. Same lack of thought process that many cruise line adopted that you can do your own test, unproctured and just show up with a photo of the test. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 1trainer1 said:

Wonder when the rest of the world is going to catch up and start letting unvaccinated guests travel?

I am wondering mainly Europe as normally soon to follow the US in changing the rules

I'm waiting for testing requirement to be dropped in Europe as well. I'm sailing on 14th of Sep out of Barcelona and since I've heard of testing being dropped in the US, I've been postponing booking my pre-cruise test hoping that it will not be required. 🤔 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 4:33 AM, pappahbuttz said:

As a fully vaccinated resident of Canada, I can not understand why I would have to still test before getting on when we have the same covid rules, or stricter than many of the states in the US of A? I would fully understand people that are unvaccinated being tested. Same lack of thought process that many cruise line adopted that you can do your own test, unproctured and just show up with a photo of the test. 

I’m a Canadian too and echo your thoughts. Canada has managed the Pandemic much better than the US so go figure MSC’s reasoning. I really believe someone in corporate doesn’t like Canada. The insurance stipulation was the same thing and before that the mixed vaccines fiasco. I really enjoy cruising in the Yacht Club, but when they make it a privilege to buy their product it’s time to look elsewhere.

3 hours ago, JoLoca2208 said:

From 5th of September, NCl, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises are removing pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests for Europe (except cruises stopping in Greece) and US (if no ports of call in Bermuda or Canada). 

Also Virgin Voyages, no testing required since approx. the end of July.  I know they are not one of the "big" players on the water, but if all the others (big and small) are not requiring testing, why is MSC being so stubborn and, in my opinion, biased against non-US pax?  If there's some logic for MSC's "new" rules, I'd love to hear it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

I’m a Canadian too and echo your thoughts. Canada has managed the Pandemic much better than the US so go figure MSC’s reasoning. I really believe someone in corporate doesn’t like Canada. The insurance stipulation was the same thing and before that the mixed vaccines fiasco. I really enjoy cruising in the Yacht Club, but when they make it a privilege to buy their product it’s time to look elsewhere.

Haven’t looked but wonder is MSC the only company with this restriction? 
Lots of other choices for sure. 

5 hours ago, JoLoca2208 said:

From 5th of September, NCl, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises are removing pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests for Europe (except cruises stopping in Greece) and US (if no ports of call in Bermuda or Canada). 

NCL and HAL don't require testing for Greece stops unless you EMBARK in Greece.  So if Greece is just a port stop, no testing required for vax pax.  There is no consistency on how Greece is handled, and why is Greece still requiring testing anyway?

When will MSC change their protocols?

Edited by Native Floridian 26

14 minutes ago, coscab said:

Anyone have experience with the online covid test for cruising on MSC, if so, which one did you use.

Yes we used the Binax now ag card test through emed with MSC and Norwegian.
So easy and I liked the convenience of not having to worry about finding a test within the required window  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

Yes we used the Binax now ag card test through emed with MSC and Norwegian.
So easy and I liked the convenience of not having to worry about finding a test within the required window  

Thank you so much!  Did you have your own Binax home test or did you have to purchase from emed?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, coscab said:

Thank you so much!  Did you have your own Binax home test or did you have to purchase from emed?

You’re welcome!

Just went back and looked and our Norwegian cruise we went through Inspire to purchase the test and take the test. 
Our MSC cruise we purchased the test from Emed and used the NAVICA app to take the proctored test. 

Those were the companies that each cruise line recommended at the time. 

2 hours ago, coscab said:

Did you have your own Binax home test or did you have to purchase from emed

As far as I know, eMed doesn't sell its proctoring service by itself. You purchase a different kit from eMed or Optum that includes the proctoring - Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services.

There are at least two proctoring services that sell just the proctor session - http://onpoint-testing.com/ and Rapid COVID-19 Tests with Documentation Online at Home (rapidtestandtrace.com). They have been discussed here and other forums and I've not seen anyone report on issues with either, but haven't (yet) used them personally. With these services, you use any FDA authorized COVID home test (there's no such thing as an FDA approved COVID home test).

1 hour ago, publicpersona said:

As far as I know, eMed doesn't sell its proctoring service by itself. You purchase a different kit from eMed or Optum that includes the proctoring - Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services.

There are at least two proctoring services that sell just the proctor session - http://onpoint-testing.com/ and Rapid COVID-19 Tests with Documentation Online at Home (rapidtestandtrace.com). They have been discussed here and other forums and I've not seen anyone report on issues with either, but haven't (yet) used them personally. With these services, you use any FDA authorized COVID home test (there's no such thing as an FDA approved COVID home test).

Thank you, not cruising until November, I looked at onepoint, very reasonable price, I've got some time to decide, appreciate your reply.

On 9/2/2022 at 7:45 PM, Native Floridian 26 said:

NCL and HAL don't require testing for Greece stops unless you EMBARK in Greece.  So if Greece is just a port stop, no testing required for vax pax.  There is no consistency on how Greece is handled, and why is Greece still requiring testing anyway?

When will MSC change their protocols?

Thanks for clarifying re. Greece.

When will MSC change their protocols, that's a good question. I was hoping it would be around now. I'm sailing next week Wednesday and still hoping the testing requirement will be removed. 

• Like 1