Virtuosa 3 September - Live

Eglesbrech

It sounds completely different in YC. 

Agree about the lifts. 

Didn’t know there were 1700 kids on but I believe it. Was busiest ship we have ever been on. 

the rocky road and piedmont hot chocolate are lovely. The strawberry supreme crepe is amazing. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 3:04 PM, Eglesbrech said:

Well we are (somewhat unexpectedly) going on out first MSC cruise in a few days. Our cruise booked some time ago with Fred Olsen was cancelled with just 4 days notice at the end of last week due to a broken propeller.

i am following your posts, but hadn't quite picked up it was the Balmoral you'd missed out on. Today, my DW had a call from her bridesmaid who had been due to sail same cruise with Fred and this was the first we knew of cancellation. She was not in any position to book another cruise at short notice, so is sulking at home!

Anyway, main reason for posting is we have sailed MSC YC numerous times, and sailed once only with Fred on Balmoral about 5 years ago. We did it because it was a winter Nov/Dec Christmas markets cruise on the near reaches of the Seine etc. and our son lives 25 miles from the embarking port at Southampton. It was a tub then, so not sure if you've sailed on it before, and worlds apart from MSC YC. That said we enjoyed our 5 night cruise, mainly because the itinerary was attractive to us. TBH, the only thing we enjoyed on the ship was the MDR which was very good and the excellent afternoon teas and service in the forward Observation Lounge.

Great to follow your YC experience, and delighted your expectations are being met thus far.

Edited by hamrag
  • Thanks 1

Day 3 

We have been to Haugesund before so knew the drill, a short walk over the bridge to walk around the nice little town. (Last time we were here we walked along to the monument of Norway which is just a nice 30 minute stroll away on flat ground). As ever the town put on a shuttle bus for those who can’t/ don’t want to walk, it stops at the top end of the town near the church. They also provide maps etc.

We have been so blessed with the weather which has been warm and sunny.

The show tonight was better for us. Abracadabra with some nice tunes, great dancing and magic.

Dinner tonight was just lovely - snails in garlic butter accompanied by a delicious Beaujolais wine. Black Angus filet steak with pecorino (please note from the healthy menu which would have been healthy but for the side order of delicious fries spontaneously delivered by the kindly waiter, it would have been rude not to eat them). 

I must comment the person who selects the wines, a lovely selection and all included in the price.

Finished the evening with music in Top Sail and my now traditional pre bed time hot chocolate.

Just to add to the good food, wine, service, weather and ports - we also saw the Aurora Borealis! Beautiful green ribbons in the sky.

More sweet treats in the cabin on return.

Day 4

I’m writing this from the YC pool deck sitting in brilliant sunshine, unseasonably hot for September, sipping an alcohol free strawberry Daiquiri (thanks for the recommendation Showingdiva). Someone has just come round with chilled fresh fruit skewers - it’s a hard life.

We had breakfast up here as well to enjoy the spectacular views of the Fjord.

Flam today and a lovely long walk down the valley to admire the waterfalls. Afterwards we did some shopping and bought winter Woolley’s  (we had to ask for the tax return form so be aware, some shops offered it others didn’t). The tax people were at the dock so refunded straight away even though this was not our last stop.

The ship put on a bbq on the village green for the staff. Lovely to see the behind the scenes staff out enjoying the sunshine, scenery and what smelled like a nice BBQ.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2022 at 1:37 PM, travelwide said:

Did they say which ship? The new Seascape will be in Florida in November. That's the ship we will be on. 

Sounds like you are having a great time so far.

They did but Incant recall what it was, sorry. Which ever ship it is they are lucky to get a good team.

16 hours ago, hamrag said:

i am following your posts, but hadn't quite picked up it was the Balmoral you'd missed out on. Today, my DW had a call from her bridesmaid who had been due to sail same cruise with Fred and this was the first we knew of cancellation. She was not in any position to book another cruise at short notice, so is sulking at home!

Anyway, main reason for posting is we have sailed MSC YC numerous times, and sailed once only with Fred on Balmoral about 5 years ago. We did it because it was a winter Nov/Dec Christmas markets cruise on the near reaches of the Seine etc. and our son lives 25 miles from the embarking port at Southampton. It was a tub then, so not sure if you've sailed on it before, and worlds apart from MSC YC. That said we enjoyed our 5 night cruise, mainly because the itinerary was attractive to us. TBH, the only thing we enjoyed on the ship was the MDR which was very good and the excellent afternoon teas and service in the forward Observation Lounge.

Great to follow your YC experience, and delighted your expectations are being met thus far.

What a shame for your bridesmaid, really unfair.

We had only booked it to avoid the long journey south for a change and a nice itinerary, the best laid plans as they say.

Ironically this cruise cost about the same (it was 11 days, this 7) as we have really enjoyed it.

On 9/6/2022 at 2:32 PM, Eglesbrech said:

What a shame for your bridesmaid, really unfair.

We had only booked it to avoid the long journey south for a change and a nice itinerary, the best laid plans as they say.

Ironically this cruise cost about the same (it was 11 days, this 7) as we have really enjoyed it.

How’s your cruise going? 
that abracadabra show we thought was poor. It didn’t make any sense storywise, liked the contortionists but that was about it and the witch almost had the top half of her on display, although I’m not that bothered about that as it suited her 😂 

Day 4 cont

Great show in the theatre tonight. The psychic comedian, very amusing a gentle poke at mediums,etc.

Dinner was fine tonight, not my best meal but perfectly nice. Service excellent

I’ve been reflecting on other suite experiences and after 4 days on a Msc here is what I think.

Cabins

Celebrity and Cunard suites are nicer decor and have more space. P&O next then Fred.

MSC lacks a bath (but nice walk in shower), has a small balcony on this ship and the decor is sludge brown. Otherwise the facilities are really great with a complimentary mini bar, coffee machine, daily newspapers, pillow chocolates, treats every evening, litre of spirits with mixers and extra toiletries.

Food

Enjoyed food on them all. MSC and Grills edge it over Celebrity. They blow p&o and Fred out of the water by comparison imo.

Drinks

Really great drinks package with excellent wines by the glass included and a good range of non alcoholic drinks. Celebrity also offer this sort of standard, Cunard, P&O and Fred it is all extra charge.

Suites area

I really like the fact that all the MSC suite areas are in one place. While Celebrity has just as nice facilities they are more fragmented. This really is a ship within a ship, a tranquil retreat from the buzz of the main ship.

Butler service

Our butler is not the best but I can see that others on MSC are. We are not particularly demanding anyway.

Extra touches

I like the priority embarkation on day one and the discrete priority at ports when getting back to the ship. I haven’t needed to use the lift priority but it is there as a facility if needed.

Day 5

Olden today and more brilliant sunshine. Had a very long walk and enjoyed the stunning views.

We booked the Butchers Cut for lunch which is a nice diamond perk. Didn’t rate the bone marrow starter but the steak was just lovely with 4 sauces to choose from and the banana and date pudding with salted caramel sauce yummy. The freshly baked bread was also really good.

Sat in the YC pool area after lunch and vegetated in the sunshine admiring the Fjord’s.

The show tonight was in my opinion dreadful caterwauling. Left it early and sat in the top sail watching the scenery which was stunning.

Excellent dinner, great service and some lovely wine. The staff already know I like sparking water, good red wine and don’t usually eat pudding. They remember your name and your preferences which is a lovely touch.

Off to bed as an early start tomorrow.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

How’s your cruise going? 
that abracadabra show we thought was poor. It didn’t make any sense storywise, liked the contortionists but that was about it and the witch almost had the top half of her on display, although I’m not that bothered about that as it suited her 😂 

Having a great time thanks. Brilliant weather which always helps.

Day 6

Early start today as we are only in port for the morning in Maloy. It’s a pretty little fishing town with some nice views and shops a short walk from the ship. Very friendly welcome from the locals.

At the dock side private tours being offered for those who fancy a boat ride or walking tour.

We came back on about 11.15 and now the crowds are coming back so a lengthy queue to get back onboard. First time we have seen any sort of queue (except at initial embarkation).

With 10 minutes to go an announcement for missing passengers. They were sauntering towards the ship, must have heard their names and started to run. A rousing round of applause from all decks when they arrived. They really cut it fine.

The clam linguini at lunch in the YC was just delicious. The pasta and risotto has all been brilliant, to be expected on an Italian ship I suppose.

There were some tours through the YC today. Didn’t know they did this.

Up on deck 19 enjoying the sun, the stunning views and a small beer. This is the life. There is some sea life in the bay, people up taking pictures. Some reckon it’s sharks they have seen?

• Like 4

Well MSC handled the sad news of the death of the Queen in an appropriate manner. It was announced over the whole ship and the ceilings changed to the Union flag.

The White Night party is cancelled as it was not felt to be appropriate and given the round of applause that followed the announcement, most folks agreed with this decision.

Such a sad loss.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Well MSC handled the sad news of the death of the Queen in an appropriate manner. It was announced over the whole ship and the ceilings changed to the Union flag.

The White Night party is cancelled as it was not felt to be appropriate and given the round of applause that followed the announcement, most folks agreed with this decision.....

We are not at all surprised, kudos to MSC. Her Majesty was held in grand esteem worldwide, probably more so than any other world leader in the past century.

• Like 6

I arrived in Southampton yesterday as you left. Virtuosa was last to leave, although partly due to bunkering still going on until 5pm, the Saga ship Spirit of Adventure at Mayflower taking an eternity to turn round and pass her - and a container ship delaying them all. Ironically Iona left on time, which is probably the first time this year.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

Eglesbrech, I’ve been looking at Yacht Club cabins on Virtuosa, but rather worried that being right at the front of the ship and high up, there might be a lot more movement and possibility of seasickness, especially in some of the forward facing cabins. How did you find it?

We've done YC numerous times. If there is movement, and you are susceptible, you will definitely feel it much more. 

21 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

Eglesbrech, I’ve been looking at Yacht Club cabins on Virtuosa, but rather worried that being right at the front of the ship and high up, there might be a lot more movement and possibility of seasickness, especially in some of the forward facing cabins. How did you find it?

We had no problems at all. I have to say it concerned me before I sailed as well.

The second last night we hit a storm which is why the ship was very late back into Southampton and while there was movement, it was really not bad. It’s a big ship so feels like a brick in the water.

Im a good sailor but my husband is not and he was fine.

Added - my OH has just informed me that although he was fine (not seasick which happens from time to time) he did feel the movement more than say mid ships.

Edited by Eglesbrech
Addition

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, StillStrength said:

Thank you so much for documenting your travels, Eglesbrech. What a great read and really helped give me some context for the ship ahead of my first cruise. Did you manage to try any of the speciality restaurants? Thanks again.

Thank you, I’m glad you found it helpful. We really enjoyed Virtuosa.

Yes we booked the Butchers Cut for lunch.

I didn't rate the bone marrow starter as it was a bit greasy for my taste.  The steak was just lovely (cooked perfectly to my stated preference) with 4 sauces to choose from, I really liked the spicy chimichuro (spelled wrong) sauce. The banana and date pudding with salted caramel sauce yummy. The freshly baked bread was also really good.

They served a Malbec which was included in our drinks package. I believe a lot of the wines here were not in the package.

We didn’t try any others as the food in YC was so good but did see what they were offering in the passing and the dishes looked nice. The restaurants were certainly popular in the evenings and on sea days.

5 hours ago, StillStrength said:

Thank you so much for documenting your travels, Eglesbrech. What a great read and really helped give me some context for the ship ahead of my first cruise. Did you manage to try any of the speciality restaurants? Thanks again.

Ps. I only saw your post by pure chance. I see you are new to Cruise Critic. If you want someone to see or respond to a post then use the quote button at the bottom left of the post on something they have written as I have done with this. The poster will then get a notification that you have quoted them.

The notifications come on the little bell at the very top right of the page, next to your name. You will see this activated as I have quoted you, touch the bell and it will list all recent notifications.

Just ask if you have any questions, the folks on cc are a friendly bunch.