Virtuosa 3 September - Live

Eglesbrech

Well we are (somewhat unexpectedly) going on out first MSC cruise in a few days. Our cruise booked some time ago with Fred Olsen was cancelled with just 4 days notice at the end of last week due to a broken propeller. We hunted around for an alternative and MSC fitted the bill time wise.

We had been thinking about trying MSC for a while anyway (and have one booked for later), so had requested a loyalty match and got a very generous “ Diamond” which was a good start.

We are currently on the way to Southampton with stays on the way to take in some of the beauty spots of England. Lucky so far, sunshine all the way.

Thankfully I had been doing my research anyway so felt able to jump at an MSC cruise (one of the few decent choices at such late notice). Thank you so much to all those on this board who have been so generous with their knowledge and answered my questions, it is really appreciated as an MSC newbie. We have travelled on many other lines but each has its own distinct differences so it’s great to hear from those with experience.

I’ll try to pop in while onboard (WiFi allowing) to give my impressions of MSC. I’m really looking forward to trying something new.

• Like 8

Well that’s the negative covid test certificates back. We used the company recommended by MSC and it was all relatively easy and efficient. The test kits came to our house at the weekend and we activated them and tested today.

So we have all the paperwork for boarding now. That’s a relief and we can look forward to enjoying the cruise now.

The weather for Norway looks fine, we have packed a range of clothes anyway. As we say in Scotland there is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Well that’s the negative covid test certificates back. We used the company recommended by MSC and it was all relatively easy and efficient. The test kits came to our house at the weekend and we activated them and tested today.

So we have all the paperwork for boarding now. That’s a relief and we can look forward to enjoying the cruise now.

The weather for Norway looks fine, we have packed a range of clothes anyway. As we say in Scotland there is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.

Have a great holiday we board when you get off, getting excited now 😄

• Like 2

Once we got through the traffic the ABC parking was very efficient. From YC reception to a chilled glass of champagne in top sail - 15 minutes.

First impressions are really very good. Beautiful ship, friendly crew and nice nibbles (yes I get my priorities right). The suite is spacious with more than adequate storage, a large bathroom and decent seating area. The balcony is not big but perfectly adequate. Full mini bar and lovely nibbles on the table, fresh fruits, nought and cantochi.

We went for lunch in the YC and were both most impressed with the service, food and wine selection. The food was fresh, light and delicious for me. OHs tournade of beef was no so light but he likes more food than I do and ate every bite.  Off great start for MSC.

Our cases were at the suite so all unpacked.

The only issue so far is the WiFi which is not working at all. Doing this on  4 g which might be an issue for any future posts, may improve once everyone is logged in.

So far, quite impressed.

• Like 9

On 8/30/2022 at 3:04 PM, Eglesbrech said:

Well we are (somewhat unexpectedly) going on out first MSC cruise in a few days. Our cruise booked some time ago with Fred Olsen was cancelled with just 4 days notice at the end of last week due to a broken propeller. We hunted around for an alternative and MSC fitted the bill time wise.

We had been thinking about trying MSC for a while anyway (and have one booked for later), so had requested a loyalty match and got a very generous “ Diamond” which was a good start.

We are currently on the way to Southampton with stays on the way to take in some of the beauty spots of England. Lucky so far, sunshine all the way.

Thankfully I had been doing my research anyway so felt able to jump at an MSC cruise (one of the few decent choices at such late notice). Thank you so much to all those on this board who have been so generous with their knowledge and answered my questions, it is really appreciated as an MSC newbie. We have travelled on many other lines but each has its own distinct differences so it’s great to hear from those with experience.

I’ll try to pop in while onboard (WiFi allowing) to give my impressions of MSC. I’m really looking forward to trying something new.

Wishing you a fantastic cruise Eglesbrech.

Pleased you managed to get booked after Fred Olsen cancelled your cruise.

Looking forward to hearing how it compares to P&O.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Once we got through the traffic the ABC parking was very efficient. From YC reception to a chilled glass of champagne in top sail - 15 minutes.

First impressions are really very good. Beautiful ship, friendly crew and nice nibbles (yes I get my priorities right). The suite is spacious with more than adequate storage, a large bathroom and decent seating area. The balcony is not big but perfectly adequate. Full mini bar and lovely nibbles on the table, fresh fruits, nought and cantochi.

We went for lunch in the YC and were both most impressed with the service, food and wine selection. The food was fresh, light and delicious for me. OHs tournade of beef was no so light but he likes more food than I do and ate every bite.  Off great start for MSC.

The only issue so far is the WiFi which is not working at all. Doing this on  4 g which might be an issue for any future posts, may improve once everyone is logged in.

So far, quite impressed.

Sounds fabulous have a great time.😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

So far, quite impressed.

Sounds fabulous, have a lovely time

Michelle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

So far, quite impressed.

We are sailing on Anthem tomorrow.  Looking forward to your posts

Have a great cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well the WiFi is working fine for now.

I have to say I am still really impressed so far. As those who know me from other boards will be aware, I am not easily impressed.

We had a sail away in the YC outside deck with music at a volume which allowed you to hear it  (and hear yourself think) but not be overwhelmed by noise. Lovely nibbles and a really good range of drinks, particularly liked the non alcoholic cocktail choices which are better than on most ships.

Went for a pre dinner drink last night and Lanson Black label is included in the drinks package at the beautiful champagne and oyster bar.

There is an area for YC guests in the theatre (same as for example in the Celebrity Retreat) so walked in 5 minutes before the show to a a great seat. The singers were excellent and the music good, costumes eye catching but the show lacked an overall theme as such but we still enjoyed it. They do 3 shows a night so more choice of times.

Dinner in the YC was excellent with really great food, wines and service. The wines are interesting as they are more European than on most ships. Great Tuscan  and Sicilian  reds, Bardolino rose and nice buttery Chardonnay. The wine list changes at every meal so always something nice to try.

The pasta is great and the meats done with fragrant herbal sauces just like in Italy. There is definitely a touch of Italian flare to the food. The cheese trolley is pretty good too.

After dinner we went to a light show in the Galerea Virtuosa which was fun (the ceiling light animations are amazing).

Slept well in a comfy bed and awoke to coffee from the in cabin nespresso machine. The shower is a large walk in with a good pressure and a rain or standard shower head. Off to breakfast.

Day 2

After a great breakfast walked the ship. I have to say I don’t like the look of some of the main dining areas, tables are a little closer together but as I have not eaten there they may be just fine once you are in there.

The butler had changed the mini bar to what we like so diet juice, tonic and lots of sparkling water. You also get the choice of a full bottle of spirits for the room. Full sized printed U.K. newspaper delivered.

Love the chocolate shop, stand and just inhale. Chocolate sculptures  and a great range of sweet treats.

We also visited the “ fun pass” area to see the F1 and 4d cinema, have not tied them as yet.

Walked  the walking / running track. A bit narrow compared to some but as the ship is not full, fine for this week. Last week there were apparently 1700 children onboard!

Up to the YC for a cocktail party and nibbles at 11am, all very elegant with classical musicians and an introduction to the management, officers and staff.

Went down to look at the shops and try the pub - very busy (typical sea day) so back up to YC lounge outside instead, the weather is not bad at all for the time of year.

Tasty lunch then back down for a classical concert in the main theatre. A piano player, violinist, soprano and tenor did a nice selection of popular classics. A very pleasant 30 minutes mid afternoon.

The ship is quite blingy with lots of crystal, silver and bright lighting but it seems to work. I  do prefer the more reserved decor in some other ships but there is nothing to offend the eye and lots of nice little touches.

We have travelled in suite only areas with a few lines and so far MSC is up there with the best for the overall package / price ratio but I will reserve my final opinion until the end of the week. Off out for some fresh air now to walk off some of that lovely food.

• Like 5

Ah yes ... the strawberry daiquiri zero mocktail.    Just sit me in a corner and line them up.

I've not found any of the MDR's too cramped, but I've never been on her at anything near full capacity, so have always felt a bit of space.

The theatre shows, yes, I too felt they went off on a bit of a tangent, the New York one especially, but just resolved myself to take it as the bright, enthusiastic whatever it's meant to be.

Delighted you are (so far) enjoying your holiday and the ship.

• Like 1

Did a walk through the buffet for pure nosiness. We don’t tend to eat in buffets but like to know what is available. There is a station for making (yes making) fresh mozzarella cheese for the pizza area which comes next. The pizza looks good but yet to try it.

Usual range of European and oriental foods on offer. Not as good a choice as some lines, better than others and all perfectly fine. Some really nice bits like fresh apricots,pears peaches etc - some very healthy choices available.

The main YC menu also has a healthy eating section on the menu (which to date I have looked at, admired the choice and then ignored in favour of something more unctuous and tasty). In theory you could leave the ship without gaining any weight - theory is a wonderful thing.

Tonight is formal night. Strange mix of dress styles. The YC is fairly formal with tux, suits, cocktail and long dresses for many but some with more casual. In the main areas a bit more casual but still many in formal wear. While the ship seems to be mainly Brits there are some Italians and Portuguese etc and you can tell by the style, the men in particular have some amazing clothes and shoes, not formal as we would know it but very stylish. Everyone seems comfortable to do what they want dress wise so a happy balance.

The main areas were much busier tonight, perhaps folks were tired last night after their journey and more are out and about. I don’t like really busy so was glad to have look around then back to then YC for some tranquility.

The theatre was busier as well. Cant say I was too struck by tonight’s show, Michael Buble songs. Not much staging. I’m sure others loved it, entertainment like food is subjective.

Dinner was really good. The smell of fresh truffle hit my nose whenever we walked in. It was truffle risotto, I didn’t want a full main course portion so requested  a small one as a starter with lobster and asparagus to follow. Unlike several other lines it was actually a full lobster not a minute portion. Dessert was a sorbet with piped meringue which looked like a Monte Blanc, nice and light to finish. Some nice treats left in the cabin as well.

I have to say a word about the lifts. The system is really efficient, you select your floor and get directed to a lettered lift so fewer stops as everyone is going to the same floor(s). The YC card can actually call a lift direct but I have not felt the need to use this. (There is also a disability button on the lift call, I don’t know how that one works but presume it has some sort of priority?).

First port tomorrow so looking forward to  Haugesund.

• Like 4