Unlimited Dining Package - Giovanni's lunch

sheezsmith

We are traveling with our adult kids. On Embarkation Day if my husband and I who have the UDP want to have lunch at Giovanni's can my son and DIL join us and have some of what we order? All 4 of us have the Deluxe Beverage Package and hoped to have a few glasses of wine and a light lunch as we reserve our shows and dining. Thanks for the help!

4 minutes ago, sheezsmith said:

I did see this, so would this be possible for them to do while we order with our UDP?

There is even a small a la carte food menu at the adjacent Giovanni’s Wine bar (replacing Vintages).

The Wine bar is a separate, but adjacent venue.  they don't let you order from the Wine Bar menu in the restaurant.  

9 minutes ago, hyster said:

wife and I cruise once a year. both are satisfy with the onboard dining. never purchased a dinning package. is the dinning package worth it?

If you are both happy with the included dining options, there is probably little reason to switch to the unlimited dining package. 
Foodies might like the UDP.  Or people who desire quieter dining venues or a sort up in service.  DH and I cruise more frequently, so buying the UDP gives us a different experience.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hyster said:

wife and I cruise once a year. both are satisfy with the onboard dining. never purchased a dinning package. is the dinning package worth it?

The cost of each restaurant  varies so it depends on which restaurants you plan to go to when determining if it is worth it.  You might want to try a 3 day dining plan or Chops plus one to help determine rather you think it's worth it.  We are trying the UDP for the 1st time this October on an 8 night cruise.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hyster said:

Depends on the ship too. Smaller ships with only 3 or 4 venues, maybe not. But on an Oasis class ship you can eat somewhere different every night for a week and still not do them all.

21 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Depends on the ship too. Smaller ships with only 3 or 4 venues, maybe not. But on an Oasis class ship you can eat somewhere different every night for a week and still not do them all.

Even on smaller ships, it might be "worth it" if the MDR food is not so good or you are just tired of the menu.  We are on Voyager next month and I went ahead and bought the UDP even though the only choices are Chops, Giovanni's and Izumi.  We don't cruise that often (once every year or two), but we've just tired of the same old menu in the MDR and while the food isn't bad, I consider on par with "banquet food".  Contrast that with every meal we've had in specialty restaurants being great.  I'll report back on my final evaluation in 5 weeks. 

We are in the UDP camp as well.  We usually get it for every cruise now when we are just the two of us.  It's not just for the food (it is better than MDR in our opinion), but also for the atmosphere and service.  Not that there's anything wrong with the MDR, but it has always been crowded, busy and loud (for us).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sheezsmith said:

We are traveling with our adult kids. On Embarkation Day if my husband and I who have the UDP want to have lunch at Giovanni's can my son and DIL join us and have some of what we order? All 4 of us have the Deluxe Beverage Package and hoped to have a few glasses of wine and a light lunch as we reserve our shows and dining. Thanks for the help!

No. 

They can pay and order lunch for the two of them and enjoy it with  wine.  They will pay the flat lunch  fee for their  meal,  yours is pre paid with the package.   It will be the same if you dine together at most any specialty restaurant  during the cruise.  Izumi Sushi has A la carte pricing.  

M

4 hours ago, molly361 said:

Yes you can use it anytime a restaurant is open 

So, this is another one of those instances like the corkage fee where you think you get it reading the fine print but the "in practice" is different. 😂

image.png.9d51200c7f296279931d4d77f2819367.png

8 hours ago, sheezsmith said:

Ask the Giovanni's manager on the ship. Be polite and don't overdo the sharing and maybe? I wouldn't count on it, though.

8 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

If you are both happy with the included dining options, there is probably little reason to switch to the unlimited dining package. 
Foodies might like the UDP.  Or people who desire quieter dining venues or a sort up in service.  DH and I cruise more frequently, so buying the UDP gives us a different experience.  

now you guys got us thinking. with UDP, if you like a dish, are you allow to order 2nd? 

18 minutes ago, hyster said:

now you guys got us thinking. with UDP, if you like a dish, are you allow to order 2nd? 

Yes.  Normally you can get extra appetizers, sides and desserts with any specialty restaurant meal, but UDP specifically states that you can order additional entrees, too.  Some people have even reported that they weren't charged extra for certain add-ons in Chops like the half Maine lobster, but I have also heard people who were charged, so I wouldn't count on that (but I'm going to try my luck with that on my next cruise!)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SAmome said:

So, this is another one of those instances like the corkage fee where you think you get it reading the fine print but the "in practice" is different. 😂

image.png.9d51200c7f296279931d4d77f2819367.png

The specialty restaurants are only open on sea days. Embarkation is considered a sea day for the purposes of the UDP. So the statement is accurate. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jaedog105 said:

Ask the Giovanni's manager on the ship. Be polite and don't overdo the sharing and maybe? I wouldn't count on it, though.

I have to disagree. 

Meals charges are per person, not order extra and feed two more adults.    Those without the package need to pay the cover.   So sad to suggest putting the manager in an uncomfortable position  to say no to the passenger and fear a bad review.    The OP should not ask for two free meals, even if they ask politely. 

Frankly, I was shocked to read the initial post  suggesting the sharing ( with adults).  

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I have to disagree. 

Meals charges are per person, not order extra and feed two more adults.    Those without the package need to pay the cover.   So sad to suggest putting the manager in an uncomfortable position  to say no to the passenger and fear a bad review.    

Frankly, I was shocked to read the initial post  suggesting the sharing ( with adults).  

M

Maybe I misread or misinterpreted the initial post. I read it as they would just sit at the table, drink the wine they have the beverage package for, and maybe take a bite or two of food to taste. Not that they would be ordering extra food, or sharing plates. If the latter, I agree with you.

• Thanks 1