How is the bidding system doing? Any comments?

Bwana Tom

10 hours ago, RosieCanberra said:

We bid around $340 each to go from Balcony to Minisuite, and are unsuccessful. Coral Princess 6 March 2023. Missing out is a good thing because we assumed we could apply some FCC to it. 😀

Were you notified your bid was unsuccessful?  I’m just wondering how it works?

21 hours ago, sns1 said:

I received an e-mail this week to bid on a suite.  I checked our cruise and it states "sold out" for all suites and mini suites.  Why does Princess send e-mails when there is nothing available?  We have a mini suite booked. 

We currently have a Vista suite & just bid on a Penthouse, then our suite would become available.

A penthouse person might bid on an Owners suite....

• Like 1

I don’t know if I would bid again now that the payment is automatic. When they accepted my bid for a Feb cruise, I went in to my account to pay for the upgrade only to find that they had made a mistake and had doubled the amount of the bid! I had to phone them to get them to correct this which they did rapidly.  I would have had a nasty surprise had they charged this inflated bid directly to my credit card. And I wonder whether it would have been as easy to get them to refund the charge and charge the correct amount than it was for them to change the amount owed before I paid.

51 minutes ago, ringers0815 said:

I don’t know if I would bid again now that the payment is automatic. When they accepted my bid for a Feb cruise, I went in to my account to pay for the upgrade only to find that they had made a mistake and had doubled the amount of the bid! I had to phone them to get them to correct this which they did rapidly.

Not sure I understand.

When you make a bid it is for one person and if your bid is accepted you will be charged two times what you bid.

So, as I understand it, when you were charged double, that was correct.

On 3/3/2023 at 12:03 AM, caribill said:

"Upon acceptance of an offer, the total amount will be charged...."

It does not indicate if that is acceptance by Princess when they send out the info that you won the bid or by the customer after receiving the offer and accepting it.

Are you sure it doesn’t actually say “your credit card will be automatically charged only upon acceptance of your offer by Princess.”

3 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Are you sure it doesn’t actually say “your credit card will be automatically charged only upon acceptance of your offer by Princess.”

What I had in quotes was exactly what the communication said.

20 hours ago, rnr4thatsme said:

Were you notified your bid was unsuccessful?  I’m just wondering how it works?

Yes, I received an email stating I was unsuccessful. I wasn't confident as the ship was pretty much sold out, someone would have to cancel last minute. 

We board tomorrow, Coral Princess. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Not sure I understand.

When you make a bid it is for one person and if your bid is accepted you will be charged two times what you bid.

So, as I understand it, when you were charged double, that was correct.

Yes the bid is per person but they were charging us 4 times the bid eg if the bid was $100 per person for a total of $200 instead of charging $200 they were charging $400. They immediately saw that it was an error when I called and corrected the amount due to the correct one. But with the new system, if the same error occurred they would have charged our credit card and it might not have been as easy to fix. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, caribill said:

What I had in quotes was exactly what the communication said.

My offer was made on 10/25 and It was not accepted.  I did not really expect to win as there had not been any cabins available in the bid category for a long time. I never viewed it has a two way negotiation.

I realize that with the new requirement of a charge card being submitted with the bid, it should avoid any confusion.  Although this eliminates the option of paying with a FCC or gift card.

You are not suggesting that once Princess accepts the bid, the bid can be modified?

Good luck on your future bids.  

I still haven’t heard back about our cruise departing 4/2. I bid the minimum but only because the minimum seemed pretty high ($120 pp just from an oceanview to a standard balcony for 7 nights). Apparently a lot of others received upgrades and I haven’t so not sure.

I would cancel and increase the bid but as I’m trying to pay with a gift card I don’t want to place a new bid under the new rules. 

Fingers crossed…

Well I think I am out of the running.  For some reason when I go to the bidding portal, it now says "Ineligible to Bid."  I have been able to access and manage my bids for two months, and my TA is a confirmed participant in the program.  Of course, Princess live chat was no help.

Oh well

5 hours ago, tutumomickey said:

There were 90 mini suites left 10 days before we sailed and the minimum bid had not lowered.

How does a person find this information about their specific cruise?  

Thank you

I really wanted to bid on the forward facing club class mini - but then I realized there isn’t a fold out couch in that cabin class.  The only time we can get our DD to sleep in her own bed is when we’re in a hotel or on the ship.  No way I’m giving up that pull-out!

Got an email overnight - my bid was accepted!  Bid the minimum ($110 pp) to upgrade from an obstructed OV to a standard balcony (7-day cruise).  I had been having tons of technical issues over the past few days with the bidding system and I guess that's why.

Even better - we got one of the only four "triangle balconies" on the entire ship!  We'll be in one of those awesome angled balconies at the aft end on Ruby. SCORE!  Very happy cruiser right now 😄

Edited by talkorpi
  • Like 10

9 hours ago, talkorpi said:

Got an email overnight - my bid was accepted!  Bid the minimum ($110 pp) to upgrade from an obstructed OV to a standard balcony (7-day cruise).  I had been having tons of technical issues over the past few days with the bidding system and I guess that's why.

Even better - we got one of the only four "triangle balconies" on the entire ship!  We'll be in one of those awesome angled balconies at the aft end on Ruby. SCORE!  Very happy cruiser right now 😄

Is your cruise about 30 days out ?

I have heard that is when most people are notified .