First time cruiser - leaving in 10 days, am I forgetting anything/what else should I know?

GCS2000

1 hour ago, GWP-OKC said:

Didn't see it mention anywhere- we bring a couple rolls of our own TP.  The cruise ships buy the cheapest they can get, very similar to 20 grit sandpaper.  NOT Charman or Northern

YES!!!! This is the number 1 thing we'll be doing on our next cruise thanks to a very informative poster on here. Who knew??? 

16 hours ago, LeeW said:

Just got back from B2B on Radiance.  Couple of comments:

There are no show reservations - just show up 20-30 before a show.  That said, mostly they were singers and bands (and Tango dance show).  Lots of entertainment is in the Centrum, so you can see it from several levels.

Internet is poor at best on Radiance in Alaska.  Lots of outages.  Higher level doesn't help but may be too late for you to change.  Ask onboard.

Guest services is seldom busy.  They have a screener that handles a lot of routine stuff like punching cruise cards for lanyard use.

Adult pool is moderately warm.  Open to kids 8-10 and 12-2.  Our cruises were mostly cloudy and rainy, so needed an extra towel or jeans jacket in that area on all but one day.  We wore shorts/T shirts every day.  Kind of chilly going back to the Windjammer. 

The pool was closed last two days going up and first day coming back since all the water sloshed out.  They said they couldn't empty the pool with that much motion but the deck staff tried using towel dams and squeegees to keep back the water.  Our flip flops tried to float away.  Pictures post sideways - sorry.

Northbound we missed Hubbard.  Southbound didn't look promising but finally made it there.  The Explorer boat got a lot closer but at $350pp we didn't buy it (and have been to glaciers many times).

If sky is clear you may see the aurora.  No announcements about this but were out around 11 several nights.

20220901_102228.jpg

20220901_105403.jpg

Thanks for all the details.  We have packed more cold weather clothing than shorts since forecast wise it doesn't appear temps will be higher than 50 while we are there.

Explorer cruise - is this an excursion or something else?  We are doing a short glacier cruise while we are in Anchorage the day before this cruise.

Pool - thanks for the details not sure we will even go to the pool but maybe.  I assume the sloshing to empty is due to rough seas?  Wife gets motion sick (has the patch for the trip) so hoping this won't be too terrible for her.

Entertainment - appreciate this info as well.  Looking at the calendar in the app you are right mostly musical acts and trivia sessions it seems.

5 hours ago, GWP-OKC said:

Didn't see it mention anywhere- we bring a couple rolls of our own TP.  The cruise ships buy the cheapest they can get, very similar to 20 grit sandpaper.  NOT Charman or Northern

I mean, it’s toilet paper?? My posh bum has always been fine with the TP supplied. I absolutely would not take up precious luggage space by stowing my own supply. But, to each their own! This is a very specific piece of advice (bring your own TP) that most people probably wouldn’t dream to do. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LeeW said:

Just got back from B2B on Radiance.  Couple of comments:

There are no show reservations - just show up 20-30 before a show.  That said, mostly they were singers and bands (and Tango dance show).  Lots of entertainment is in the Centrum, so you can see it from several levels.

Internet is poor at best on Radiance in Alaska.  Lots of outages.  Higher level doesn't help but may be too late for you to change.  Ask onboard.

Guest services is seldom busy.  They have a screener that handles a lot of routine stuff like punching cruise cards for lanyard use.

Adult pool is moderately warm.  Open to kids 8-10 and 12-2.  Our cruises were mostly cloudy and rainy, so needed an extra towel or jeans jacket in that area on all but one day.  We wore shorts/T shirts every day.  Kind of chilly going back to the Windjammer. 

The pool was closed last two days going up and first day coming back since all the water sloshed out.  They said they couldn't empty the pool with that much motion but the deck staff tried using towel dams and squeegees to keep back the water.  Our flip flops tried to float away.  Pictures post sideways - sorry.

Northbound we missed Hubbard.  Southbound didn't look promising but finally made it there.  The Explorer boat got a lot closer but at $350pp we didn't buy it (and have been to glaciers many times).

If sky is clear you may see the aurora.  No announcements about this but were out around 11 several nights.

20220901_102228.jpg

20220901_105403.jpg

WOW THE SLOSHING! We had some sloshing on our last sea day southbound, but it wasn’t over the sides! Crazy! 

• Like 1

Enjoy your wonderful cruise to Alaska!  DH and I went for both our 25th and 30th wedding anniversaries and just fell in love with it.

You may already do this, but a tip I learned on CC many years ago, is to cross pack.  Have some of your clothes/shoes and some of your partners clothes/shoes in every suitcase that you will be checking.  That way if one suitcase goes missing, you each will have something to wear.  My DH is an ex-offensive lineman and he cannot just go anywhere in port to find new clothes!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GWP-OKC said:

Not exactly the same grade / ply as below. As mentioned previously -- not worth the space to take your own.  I could see if they provided newspapers or leaves for that purpose but the 2 ply or whatever ply they have is more than sufficient 😇

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 5.38.04 PM.png

• Haha 2

I think that I went through all of the posts carefully, but if I missed any "LOLs" or "j/k", I apologize.

DO NOT BRING YOUR OWN TOILET PAPER.

The toilets work on a vacuum system.  The toilet paper is meant to be appropriate/functional with that system.  Your "better", i.e. heavier, toilet paper WILL CLOG THE SYSTEM.

In the cabins, there is even a card  now in the bathroom that says that if you clog up the system by putting anything unapproved in it, you can be fined $250.

Your tuchus will survive.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I think that I went through all of the posts carefully, but if I missed any "LOLs" or "j/k", I apologize.

The toilets work on a vacuum system.  The toilet paper is meant to be appropriate/functional with that system.  Your "better", i.e. heavier, toilet paper WILL CLOG THE SYSTEM.

In the cabins, there is even a card  now in the bathroom that says that if you clog up the system by putting anything unapproved in it, you can be fined $250.

Your tuchus will survive.

The cheap "industrial grade" TP is actually harder on plumbing systems than the softer "tush cush" TP that most people prefer.  The cheaper the TP, the harder it is to dissolve.  RCCL does not use special "cruise ship" TP - it's the same less processed paper that hotels and gas stations buy because it's cheap.  The neighborhood I live in has it's own private sewer system and we are told constantly not to use the "cheap hotel grade" TP because it's hard on our grinder pumps and the entire system.  They tell us the softer the paper is, the better it is for the system.    

• Like 1

For those who grew up (I don’t know when it changed?) with a septic tank, we used Scott ALL THE TIME.  Really, any other toilet paper that is more “cushy” goes away too fast in comparison.  I prefer Scott, and therefore I feel like I have a less demanding rear hahahha

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SG65CB said:

Standard cruise packing advice, surprised nobody has told you yet:

Whatever you're planning to pack, you'll need half as many clothes and twice as much money.

yeah I already know we are overpacking, I am positive on that

• Like 1

I happen to be thinking of this the other day so since it came up..... I was wondering if the newer ships have "better" systems that can better handle TP?  I've remember hearing a lot about the older ships being absolutely fragile when it comes to plumbing systems.

Has the design/technology improved in this area like everything else?  

I have not cruised Alaska, so these are comments are based upon other cruises:

- Don't waste a moment hankering over a Grand Suite.  I'd 100xs rather spend that 1K on another cruise, and 1K will get you a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two on an older, smaller ship.  

- Consider dumping Voom.  It's expensive and not reliable, and you'll have plenty to do onboard without it.  

- As for luggage tags, you've laminated (or packing taped) them for stability -- and you've made two tags for each piece of luggage?  And you've placed a paper reading "Jones family, Room111" inside your suitcase?  Yes, I'm a bit paranoid, but I've also never lost my luggage!  Last week when I was on Explorer, about a dozen pieces of luggage were piled up outside Guest Services.  

- Yes to taking care of the Muster Drill as soon as you board.  A note:  some of the groups last week were forced to watch the safety video again in their Muster Station.  Seeing this, I piped up quickly and told our crew member that we'd watched it already and made a comment about life jackets.  He checked us off, and we were out of there in about 30 seconds. 

- Yes, the line for Guest Services was around the corner for the first two days -- and again the day after they assigned departure time slots.  If you have a problem, try asking your cabin steward first; those guys know everything.  No, they can't help you with your financial account, but they know pretty much everything.  

- Sounds like your boarding plans are solid, but you haven't mentioned leaving the ship.  You may already know this, but -- just in case -- you have two options: 

A. Traditional disembarkation.  Pack your bag /put it out in the hallway on your last night.  A day or two before the end of the cruise, your cabin steward will leave color-coded bag tags and your departure time assignment on your bed.  You must leave the ship within your assigned time, and you'll find your luggage in the terminal.  

B.  Self-disembarkation.  Keep your luggage and carry it off yourself any time you please.  Breakfast in the Windjammer will start about 6:30 /MDR about 7:00.  Walk-off departure will begin about 7:15.  Yesterday we got into the line about 7:10 and were in our car leaving the parking lot about 7:45.  You must be able to carry /roll your luggage by yourself.  As long as we're physically able, we will use self-disembarkation.  

On 9/6/2022 at 2:58 PM, GCS2000 said:

Thanks for this.  We will each have a small backpack with those important items in it that stays with us at all times.

A backpack is the best carry-on because it's hands-free and is useful for shore excursions later.  We adore our Osprey Day Lites -- they're smaller backpacks, and they're comfortable because they're narrow.  

But you don't need to keep those important things with you all the time on the ship.  You do need to carry your Sea Pass all the time on the ship (and off the ship).

On 9/6/2022 at 3:34 PM, George C said:

Congratulations, I think this is a good ship for a first cruise, I would consider at least one specialty restaurant, or if there is a deal all 3. 

Disagree.  We just finished our first cruise in retirement, and we decided to see just how inexpensively we could cruise and have a good time.  We didn't spend anything extra on food and were completely satisfied.  

On 9/6/2022 at 5:58 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

bring all of your meds with you, in case you get stuck somewhere. Bring all the cold meds with you, and ibuprofen+vitamins+zinc+cough meds+diarrhea meds in case you get covid.

Yes, always bring extra medicines in case your trip is delayed.  Also bring any over-the-counter medicines you're likely to need -- you don't want to bring yourself to the attention of the medical staff, if it's not necessary.  

On 9/7/2022 at 6:34 AM, Kathscof said:

In May the Solarium pool wasn’t heated (so weird) and the outdoor pool was, to the point of it feeling like lukewarm bath water.....just a warning.  

In my limited experience, the pool temperature varies; it's because they drain the pools frequently /refill them.  You'll know which one's just been drained because it'll have a net over the top to keep drunks from jumping in.  The pools that've just been refilled are always colder.  

A note on hot tubs:  If the hot tubs out on deck are full (or loud, which is pretty common), use the one inside the gym/spa.  I've literally never seen anyone in it.  The gym/spa also has a sauna; my husband is a big fan.  And they have larger showers; again, my husband is a big fan.  

On 9/7/2022 at 6:43 AM, JerseyGem said:

Enjoy your first cruise- hopefully the "cruise bug" will bite and you'll take many more.  Before I cruise on a new (to me) ship, I look over (even study) the deck plans so I won't be so disoriented once I board ... 

Yes, be prepared to spend $100/person in the Next Cruise office!  And book your next cruise in the first half of the week; on the last day of the cruise, people'll be standing 6-8 deep at every desk in Next Cruise.  

Definitely study deck plans ahead of time; for example, I always have trouble finding the rest rooms near the pool.  As soon as we board, we like to go to the top of the ship and circle our way down -- it's kinda our tradition.  

On 9/7/2022 at 9:11 AM, loman said:

Yep, i print the few important docs also , just in case the phone craps out.

Agree.  I like to have my information on the phone AND printed out.  

On 9/11/2022 at 12:15 PM, GWP-OKC said:

Definitely no.  You can clog up the pipes and cause trouble not only for yourself but for other cabins in your area.  The bathroom also has a sign saying you can be fined.  

On 9/11/2022 at 2:10 PM, GCS2000 said:

Wife gets motion sick (has the patch for the trip) so hoping this won't be too terrible for her.

Bring plenty of Bonnie with you.  And crystalized ginger -- that stuff works.  

7 hours ago, SG65CB said:

Whatever you're planning to pack, you'll need half as many clothes and twice as much money.

Absolutely -- packing light makes living in a small cabin easier, and it makes self-disembarkation easier.  Last week -- again, this was Caribbean, not Alaska -- I brought 20 items of clothing, and it was just right.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

First stop after boarding for us is a quick trip to the main dining room.  Check out our table location and make a change if we don't like where they put us.  Dining room and table number will be on your sea pass card. If you have traditional and know where your table is just walk past the first night line up and go sit yourself and enjoy. 

6 hours ago, SAmome said:

I happen to be thinking of this the other day so since it came up..... I was wondering if the newer ships have "better" systems that can better handle TP?  I've remember hearing a lot about the older ships being absolutely fragile when it comes to plumbing systems.

Has the design/technology improved in this area like everything else?  

I doubt it.  Modern plumbing hasn't really changed much in 100 years.  The main difference is that at home, our drains use gravity to move things along.  On the ship, it's a vacuum system.  They may also use macerators and grinders to help things along, but sewage is sewage.  I live in a development with a private sewer system and each house has a grinder pump that pressurizes the outbound pipes.  We use "good" TP and also have a kitchen disposal.  It's been find for 15 years now.  

11 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I have not cruised Alaska, so these are comments are based upon other cruises:

- Don't waste a moment hankering over a Grand Suite.  I'd 100xs rather spend that 1K on another cruise, and 1K will get you a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two on an older, smaller ship.  

- Consider dumping Voom.  It's expensive and not reliable, and you'll have plenty to do onboard without it.  

- As for luggage tags, you've laminated (or packing taped) them for stability -- and you've made two tags for each piece of luggage?  And you've placed a paper reading "Jones family, Room111" inside your suitcase?  Yes, I'm a bit paranoid, but I've also never lost my luggage!  Last week when I was on Explorer, about a dozen pieces of luggage were piled up outside Guest Services.  

- Yes to taking care of the Muster Drill as soon as you board.  A note:  some of the groups last week were forced to watch the safety video again in their Muster Station.  Seeing this, I piped up quickly and told our crew member that we'd watched it already and made a comment about life jackets.  He checked us off, and we were out of there in about 30 seconds. 

- Yes, the line for Guest Services was around the corner for the first two days -- and again the day after they assigned departure time slots.  If you have a problem, try asking your cabin steward first; those guys know everything.  No, they can't help you with your financial account, but they know pretty much everything.  

- Sounds like your boarding plans are solid, but you haven't mentioned leaving the ship.  You may already know this, but -- just in case -- you have two options: 

A. Traditional disembarkation.  Pack your bag /put it out in the hallway on your last night.  A day or two before the end of the cruise, your cabin steward will leave color-coded bag tags and your departure time assignment on your bed.  You must leave the ship within your assigned time, and you'll find your luggage in the terminal.  

B.  Self-disembarkation.  Keep your luggage and carry it off yourself any time you please.  Breakfast in the Windjammer will start about 6:30 /MDR about 7:00.  Walk-off departure will begin about 7:15.  Yesterday we got into the line about 7:10 and were in our car leaving the parking lot about 7:45.  You must be able to carry /roll your luggage by yourself.  As long as we're physically able, we will use self-disembarkation.  

A backpack is the best carry-on because it's hands-free and is useful for shore excursions later.  We adore our Osprey Day Lites -- they're smaller backpacks, and they're comfortable because they're narrow.  

But you don't need to keep those important things with you all the time on the ship.  You do need to carry your Sea Pass all the time on the ship (and off the ship).

Disagree.  We just finished our first cruise in retirement, and we decided to see just how inexpensively we could cruise and have a good time.  We didn't spend anything extra on food and were completely satisfied.  

Yes, always bring extra medicines in case your trip is delayed.  Also bring any over-the-counter medicines you're likely to need -- you don't want to bring yourself to the attention of the medical staff, if it's not necessary.  

In my limited experience, the pool temperature varies; it's because they drain the pools frequently /refill them.  You'll know which one's just been drained because it'll have a net over the top to keep drunks from jumping in.  The pools that've just been refilled are always colder.  

A note on hot tubs:  If the hot tubs out on deck are full (or loud, which is pretty common), use the one inside the gym/spa.  I've literally never seen anyone in it.  The gym/spa also has a sauna; my husband is a big fan.  And they have larger showers; again, my husband is a big fan.  

Yes, be prepared to spend $100/person in the Next Cruise office!  And book your next cruise in the first half of the week; on the last day of the cruise, people'll be standing 6-8 deep at every desk in Next Cruise.  

Definitely study deck plans ahead of time; for example, I always have trouble finding the rest rooms near the pool.  As soon as we board, we like to go to the top of the ship and circle our way down -- it's kinda our tradition.  

Agree.  I like to have my information on the phone AND printed out.  

Definitely no.  You can clog up the pipes and cause trouble not only for yourself but for other cabins in your area.  The bathroom also has a sign saying you can be fined.  

Bring plenty of Bonnie with you.  And crystalized ginger -- that stuff works.  

Absolutely -- packing light makes living in a small cabin easier, and it makes self-disembarkation easier.  Last week -- again, this was Caribbean, not Alaska -- I brought 20 items of clothing, and it was just right.  

That’s good to know about the pools......I was in the Solarium a LOT (hot tea in Alaska woo!) and I never saw anyone in that pool.....

where is the hot tub in the spa/fitness center?  They are on different floors, and can you move between them inside it?  And can you just walk in past the desk in the spa?  After ISP, I saw the hot tubs were empty so I ran to get into my bathing suit and by the time I got back up from 7, the Solarium was full but the outdoor one had space.....very relaxing to be in a hot tub on a sunny day in Alaska 🙂 

On 9/12/2022 at 6:22 AM, Kathscof said:

For those who grew up (I don’t know when it changed?) with a septic tank, we used Scott ALL THE TIME.  Really, any other toilet paper that is more “cushy” goes away too fast in comparison.  I prefer Scott, and therefore I feel like I have a less demanding rear hahahha

That’s all I’ve ever used since I was a child. It’s perfect! Lol

• Like 1

Remember to chill: Cruises are a different beast from other types of vacations. You'll probably find yourself just laying around on a lounge chair or your bed and watching the scenery go by... and that's perfectly okay. You don't have to hit up every last activity. Just enjoy the calm.

Chargers with multiple USB ports should be considered, as people have posted the molten remains of power strips that people attempted to use on a cruise ship.

1) clothes? That's the biggest worry for Alaska make sure to have waterproof outer layer (not water resistent) 

2) have backup plan for excursion cancellation because of weather (not booked just a list of things) 

3) watch YouTube videos of your ship and possibly Alaska sailing daily vlogs if they have them

3 hours ago, Kathscof said:

where is the hot tub in the spa/fitness center?  

I can't speak for every ship, but I just got off Explorer, and I think a lot of ships are similar:  The spa /fitness center is two levels.  I always entered from Deck 11.  The hot tub is dead-ahead; you must walk to the left or right to get to the fitness equipment.   DSC_0712_1.thumb.webp.fc5eab08ad8a04e573ef68e8f922b994.webp

2 hours ago, PolicromaSol said:

Remember to chill: Cruises are a different beast from other types of vacations. You'll probably find yourself just laying around on a lounge chair or your bed and watching the scenery go by... and that's perfectly okay. You don't have to hit up every last activity. Just enjoy the calm.

Chargers with multiple USB ports should be considered, as people have posted the molten remains of power strips that people attempted to use on a cruise ship.

Yes, I don't feel the need to fill every minute with activity.  

I have no idea what everyone's charging with these multiple this-or-that chargers.  

Well its 22 hours till we leave on the plane and about 72 hours til we disembark.  ArriveCAN is all done, checked in for our flights and have paper copies of everything along with all my electronic copies on my phone.  Super excited to go.

Like anyone else the only thing we are worried about now is the dreaded testing tonight after midnight or in the AM.  Crossing fingers for that.  Neither of us have any problems or issues and we have in essence been quarantining for 2+ weeks essentially only going to work.  Long travel day tomorrow but we know it will all be worth it in the end.  Just happy to get out of town and away from things for a while.

We have dual outlet chargers for each of us so we will be fine.  Wife only has phone, I have phone and watch.

Disembarkation we will do self service as well.  Flight doesn't leave until 1:30 so we have more than enough time to exit the ship so no need to rush.  We are not doing anything in Vancouver either.

Meds - we have a full "first aid kit" packed with anything you can think of - nausea meds, cough drops, vitamin c supplements, allergy meds, cold meds, nose drops, band-aids, neosporin, muscle cream, burn cream, bug bite cream, sunblock, bug spray, pepto, antacid, tissues, etc etc etc.  Wife went above and beyond for this.  Fortunately its all small stuff and in a small pouch.

Pool and hot tub - may not even bother with these since we have them at home but may still check them out who knows

Luggage tags - Got some off amazon and have printed all the tags and inserted them in the holders already. Will put them on the luggage once we gather everything from our plane ride.  Only checking 1 bag each and we have enough stuff in our carry ons and personal backpacks to last us several days or the entire 12 days if we wash in middle.

Next Cruise - we hope to be doing this for sure but since we have never done one before no clue if we like it or not.  Guess we will know soon enough.  Wife wants to go to Ireland and Scotland at some point but we would probably have to just fly for that as we wouldn't be able to take off enough work time to do any sort of TA cruise.  We will see how this one goes first.

With respect to activities:

Anchorage before we head to Seward on Friday we are taking a nature tour and glacier boat cruise.  We have a rental car and are planning to drive away from the city to catch the northern lights one night.  We leave for Anchorage tomorrow.  One 2.5 hour flight to Chicago and one 7 hour flight to Anchorage.

Juneau we are doing a city tour and Mendenhall Glacier after that we can do whatever or go back to the ship

Skagway we are doing Sled Dog and Mushers camp after that we can do whatever or go back to the

ship

Haines - we are staying on the boat

Icy Strait - just a whale watching trip

Ketchikan - we are walking around on our own and doing the lumberjack show

When we get to Seattle other than going to a Seahawks game on Sunday before flying home we will just do whatever, no plans.

So we have a fair bit to do but we also have a lot of down time as well.  Boat activities we are just going to wing it other than I booked a spa appt for the wife (little does she know) - whatever we feel like doing we will do even if its sleeping in the cabin or on the balcony or whatever.  We plan to relax as much as we can as well as "see" Alaska.  I am not travelling over 4300 miles not to take in the scenery, lol.

Once again thank you for all the helpful advice and comments it is much appreciated!

Greg

• Like 1

The testing was a hoop to jump through -- and then they didn't even look at our paperwork as we boarded last week!  I wouldn't have dared to go without it, but it stung that we spent money and energy on something that didn't matter in the long run. 

So you're on top of self-disembarkation.  Good.  With a late plane flight, don't hurry to get out early-early -- loads of people will be in line.  We were among them because we had an 11-hour drive, but if I were in your shoes I'd enjoy a last breakfast in the MDR and wait 'til the last minute -- make 'em throw me off kicking and screaming.  (Not really -- I'm actually very nice, but you get the point.) 

Your meds do sound a little over-the-top, but that's better than under prepared.  A few thoughts:  I just take a general cold med (we like DayQuil) that can cover a variety of needs.  You will have tissues in the room.  For travel, I pop for the expensive bandaids with Neosporin "built in".  Bonine for seasickness is what you're most likely to need ... I have trouble with car sickness sometimes, and I like crystalized ginger because it's not a pharmaceutical.  

Yes, you'll want to see how you like this cruise before you decide whether you want to schedule a Next Cruise.  I just thought it was worth bringing up -- it is financially smart to book onboard.  

I think you're well prepared.  Hope you have a great time!