Anyone currently (or recently) on Solstice? Wondering how she’s holding up…

Georgia_Peaches

We will be on Solstice in March 2023 for a Mexican Riviera cruise. I’m really excited that Celebrity has finally added this itinerary but have read some negative reviews lately regarding general appearance (public spaces looking tired), declining standard of service, food not up to par…you know, the usual gripes. I generally take those things with a grain of salt knowing that satisfied customers don’t leave reviews as often as those who are dissatisfied. Just looking for opinions and feedback from current or recent Solstice travelers. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

• Georgia_Peaches changed the title to Anyone currently (or recently) on Solstice? Wondering how she’s holding up…

I'm boarding her tomorrow.  I'll let you know what I think.  

And just as an FYI, as long as things are clean, I'm not picky.  I don't care about a few dents and dings, a little rust here or there, and if my ordered drink takes 10 minutes, I'm sure the bar staff are busy, not goofing around to make me wait.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

I'm boarding her tomorrow.  I'll let you know what I think.  

And just as an FYI, as long as things are clean, I'm not picky.  I don't care about a few dents and dings, a little rust here or there, and if my ordered drink takes 10 minutes, I'm sure the bar staff are busy, not goofing around to make me wait.

Great!  We are on the same page. Looking forward to your impressions. Thank you!

• Like 1

We are just returning from a week on the Solstice...she's showing her age in a few areas, but the crew has been amazing!  While not the newest and brightest ship, I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again.  We had a great trip...good food, good drinks, friendly crew, every need was met with a smile.  

• Like 3

We sailed on the Solstice in August to Alaska.  I thought the public areas looked OK, everything was clean and in decent repair.  Our issues were with the cabin and they were also minor. We had a cabin on deck six forward which may have been a quarantine for crew previous to Alaska where new crew comings and goings may have been limited.  The curtain to the balcony was just a dark out plastic shade (with the usual pinprick holes) that was loose at some places from the hooks at the top.  There was no filmy inner curtain or colorful outer curtain.  We did not complain to the steward about this, if we had maybe it would have been changed out.  The other thing was the veranda furniture which did look awful.,  It was the older style combo wood and metal with reclining backs. It had badly peeling paint on the metal parts and the wood parts were bleached and out dried out and almost looked splintery.  We did not use the veranda for setting because it was cold and wet out.  I doubt if the steward had access to other veranda furniture but we did not mention this either.  Otherwise the bed was good the cabin was very clean.

The crew was GREAT.  The entertainment and cruise director, Giuseppe, were also great.

Edited by SHIP TRAVELER
  • Like 4

We were on the 8/12-19 Alaska sailing. We also had only the blackout curtain and no filmy or decorative cloth curtain but assumed it was "covid related" as more curtains means more to clean. Didnt bother us and didnt mention it to room attendant. The ship was in good clean condition, staff always present on the staircases, wiping down surfaces and overall maintaining . Cabin was clean, furniture fine, and bed comfortable- just a regular balcony this trip. Staff were great, as usual. No concerns with sailing her again- in fact, we have 3 more future cruise booked on Solstice.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

We were on the 8/12-19 Alaska sailing. We also had only the blackout curtain and no filmy or decorative cloth curtain but assumed it was "covid related" as more curtains means more to clean. Didnt bother us and didnt mention it to room attendant. The ship was in good clean condition, staff always present on the staircases, wiping down surfaces and overall maintaining . Cabin was clean, furniture fine, and bed comfortable- just a regular balcony this trip. Staff were great, as usual. No concerns with sailing her again- in fact, we have 3 more future cruise booked on Solstice.

Awe this is great news!  So glad you enjoyed your vacation.  Wondering about the window covering.  I'm picturing a tarp 😊 but I'm guessing it's the part that would have been behind the drapery?...not pretty, but I guess functional?  

7 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Awe this is great news!  So glad you enjoyed your vacation.  Wondering about the window covering.  I'm picturing a tarp 😊 but I'm guessing it's the part that would have been behind the drapery?...not pretty, but I guess functional?  

CA3D3E7D-1F98-435B-BCC1-CE0DD957A44D.thumb.jpeg.26631d680dbbd759a201fae273a33604.jpeg

We spent the last two weeks of June on the Solstice and will board again on September 16 for another set of B2B cruises, including the first of the Mexican itineraries.

I felt I was in a time warp when we boarded as we had been on the Solstice on the first leg of what would have been a B2B2B2B in March 2020.  We left the ship in Sydney on March 20, 2020 when the Australian Border Force closed the borders and the global suspension of cruises was implemented.  A number of the staff who had been on the Solstice in March 2020 were also on board when be boarded in June.

In June we were in a Suite.  The stateroom was in great condition although the decor is becoming dated.  The entire ship seemed to be very clean.  The Michael's Club/Retreat Lounge staff were simply wonderful.  Service in Luminae was perfect.  We will also be in a Suite when we board on September 16th, and many of the Luminae and Michael's Club folks expect to be still on board.  Our experience last June was great and we have no reason not to expect the same later this month.

• Like 3

Just off the Solstice this morning from a week in Alaska.  As others have said, the public areas are generally in good condition.

We were booked in a RS.  Our suite was definitely in need of some TLC.  Sofa in living room was saggy and uncomfortable.  Several lights were not working properly.  Whirlpool on our balcony did not work.  Doors to bedroom and bathroom had to propped open with cheesy plain wood wedge doorstops.  OTOH, they just replaced the mattresses so that was a plus.

Michael's Club furnishings are tired and visually outdated, but service by Retreat staff was top-notch.  Dining rooms were in good condition and service in Luminae, Murano and Tuscan Grill was excellent at all times.

If anyone has any specific questions, fire away!

• Like 1

Just off today from a stellar cruise. Most amazing crew ever!  Our regular veranda on deck 7 was fine. The places that seemed most worn out were the theaters. Celebrity central seats were particularly run down. Just had to be careful where you sat. None of that mattered to us or put any kind of damper on our treasured time on this beautiful ship.

3 hours ago, postnobills said:

Just off the Solstice this morning from a week in Alaska.  As others have said, the public areas are generally in good condition.

We were booked in a RS.  Our suite was definitely in need of some TLC.  Sofa in living room was saggy and uncomfortable.  Several lights were not working properly.  Whirlpool on our balcony did not work.  Doors to bedroom and bathroom had to propped open with cheesy plain wood wedge doorstops.  OTOH, they just replaced the mattresses so that was a plus.

Michael's Club furnishings are tired and visually outdated, but service by Retreat staff was top-notch.  Dining rooms were in good condition and service in Luminae, Murano and Tuscan Grill was excellent at all times.

Can I ask what RS you were in? The whirlpool not working would be very disappointing. I’ll be on 10/15 and 10/22. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, postnobills said:

Yikes!  Do you mind sharing your suite number?  and how was the A/C?  Or maybe you didn't need it being in Alaska.  I just returned from a MSC cruise and it was wonderful except for the A/C in the room at night.  BTW...we are in a RS in March.

7 hours ago, sbcs5390 said:

Can I ask what RS you were in? The whirlpool not working would be very disappointing. I’ll be on 10/15 and 10/22. 

You beat me too it.  We are in a RS in March and was wondering the same thing.  At those rates, everything should be in top working order.  Frankly, at any rate, the offerings of the room category should work...it's what we pay for.

6 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

You beat me too it.  We are in a RS in March and was wondering the same thing.  At those rates, everything should be in top working order.  Frankly, at any rate, the offerings of the room category should work...it's what we pay for.

Yes I’d definitely feel something like that should be remedied or that suite taken out of service.

On 9/8/2022 at 7:30 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

We will be on Solstice in March 2023 for a Mexican Riviera cruise. I’m really excited that Celebrity has finally added this itinerary but have read some negative reviews lately regarding general appearance (public spaces looking tired), declining standard of service, food not up to par…you know, the usual gripes. I generally take those things with a grain of salt knowing that satisfied customers don’t leave reviews as often as those who are dissatisfied. Just looking for opinions and feedback from current or recent Solstice travelers. 

I just got off of her doing Alaska.  She looked amazing, a few rust spots around windows but not surprising seeing she sits in salt water.  Interior was beautiful and love the public seating areas albeit very low but nice.  Do not plop in the round seats in the Martini bar, the cushions fart causing everyone to suddenly look at you.

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2022 at 9:17 AM, Northern Aurora said:

We spent the last two weeks of June on the Solstice and will board again on September 16 for another set of B2B cruises, including the first of the Mexican itineraries.

I felt I was in a time warp when we boarded as we had been on the Solstice on the first leg of what would have been a B2B2B2B in March 2020.  We left the ship in Sydney on March 20, 2020 when the Australian Border Force closed the borders and the global suspension of cruises was implemented.  A number of the staff who had been on the Solstice in March 2020 were also on board when be boarded in June.

In June we were in a Suite.  The stateroom was in great condition although the decor is becoming dated.  The entire ship seemed to be very clean.  The Michael's Club/Retreat Lounge staff were simply wonderful.  Service in Luminae was perfect.  We will also be in a Suite when we board on September 16th, and many of the Luminae and Michael's Club folks expect to be still on board.  Our experience last June was great and we have no reason not to expect the same later this month.

I am debating to book the sky suite. I have only sailed NCL Haven and MSC Yacht Club. Does Solstice have retreat sundeck and pool? I can't find any pics or videos on YouTube.. Thanks in advance for your reply. 

44 minutes ago, Sestar said:

I am debating to book the sky suite. I have only sailed NCL Haven and MSC Yacht Club. Does Solstice have retreat sundeck and pool? I can't find any pics or videos on YouTube.. Thanks in advance for your reply. 

No Retreat Sundeck or pool. There's a Michael's Club which is the equivalent of the Retreat Lounge on the renovated ships. Of course there's also Luminae, the suite restaurant. 

2 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

I just got off of her doing Alaska.  She looked amazing, a few rust spots around windows but not surprising seeing she sits in salt water.  Interior was beautiful and love the public seating areas albeit very low but nice.  Do not plop in the round seats in the Martini bar, the cushions fart causing everyone to suddenly look at you.

Noted..thank you.  Although, I would definitely blame DH.

25 minutes ago, postnobills said:

1118.  Tub filled just fine, but whirlpool jets shut off after about 1 second.

Thanks. I’m just next door so will keep my fingers crossed that suite is in better shape.

Was your butler good as well? Was there a coffee machine in the suite?

Edited by sbcs5390

4 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I appreciate this thread as we will be sailing on her next year. Could those plastics type curtains have been installed in the staterooms on deck 6 since that was the isolation area at some point? Or are they in other decks, too? 

We were on deck 9