LIVE FROM Royal Princess Alaska September 17-24

ceilidh1

It definitely feels like princess introduced these upgraded packages and new drinks without actually checking that the ships had the stuff onboard. The bar staff are great and very apologetic. It’s not their fault.

Which leads me to my next conundrum. I ALWAYS carry $1 bills an tip a couple bucks per drink. This time I’m hesitant simply because I’ve already paid an upcharge on the package so paid extra grats but not getting anything extra in terms of drinks. I’m torn. It’s not the fault of the staff..but…Thoughts? Opinions?

11 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

It definitely feels like princess introduced these upgraded packages and new drinks without actually checking that the ships had the stuff onboard. The bar staff are great and very apologetic. It’s not their fault.

Which leads me to my next conundrum. I ALWAYS carry $1 bills an tip a couple bucks per drink. This time I’m hesitant simply because I’ve already paid an upcharge on the package so paid extra grats but not getting anything extra in terms of drinks. I’m torn. It’s not the fault of the staff..but…Thoughts? Opinions?

Because you are not getting what you paid for I would ask them to credit you the difference between that package and the one below it.  If you are getting a tiny amount of upgraded drinks, then maybe a prorated amount of OBC.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Bartender at Bellinis just made me a mimosa with the Nicholas Veututi (or whatever that expensive Champagne is called). It’s fabulous 

45A8751B-7425-4980-84C0-CEEECBF53683.jpeg

Nicolas Feuillatte is great champagne. It’s a shame to dilute it with OJ or Peach Nectar but it sure looks great! They should give you the bottle for all you’ve been through with the bev package! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dickinson said:

Because you are not getting what you paid for I would ask them to credit you the difference between that package and the one below it.  If you are getting a tiny amount of upgraded drinks, then maybe a prorated amount of OBC.

I would have challenged it IF they had made me pay for pax 1 and 2 (since pax 2 is a minor I was able to add it just for myself) and IF I had bought it solely for the drinks - the only reason I got the upgraded package was for the photos so I’m not too bummed. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

The Royal Princess is currently 35 miles off the coast of the NW end of Vancouver Island. No way there is cell service out there.

Then, with apologies to Mark Twain, maybe the reports of bad internet have been greatly exaggerated.

4 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Does this seem to be another one of JP's let's implement before beta testing?

Unfortunately, your cruise will be over before they are able to make everything right.  Glad some things are working out for you and the kids.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sonomaphil said:

Is the wifi internet good or are you getting signals from onshore? These are large uploads for supposed crappy wifi. 

Wifi has been great so far (in Vancouver it was glitchy so stuck to data). Since leaving port we have had 4 devices connected with no issue

• Like 3

On the Royal's COVID mask mandate.

We were on the Royal southbound voyage that arrived in Vancouver yesterday. I was somewhat dismayed that about 90% of passengers never donned masks (except on disembarkation) and the sip and cover policy was definitely not followed. This despite the same letter received and daily announcements from the captain. 

Despite these warnings, no crew member ever asked anyone to wear a mask anywhere on board (including the theater, Princess Live!, etc). There was always a request to either wash your hands or use a sanitizer when entering Horizon Court.

I would really hate to be onboard during an outbreak. Given the horror story of a previous cruiser and being confined to Dolphin Desk, I didn't feel that the request to wear a mask was onerous.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, caribill said:

These have been mentioned on other threads.

Supposedly they were installed as a safety measure so people would not trip walking around the cabin in the dark.

So far I have not seen a single post saying someone likes this feature.

Most posts say the cabin attendant can tape over the sensor on the ceiling near the bathroom and a towel can block the sensor by the bed.

We *loved* the feature by the bed. The light by the bathroom was very bright and we would have preferred a lower level of light there but we appreciated the safety concern.

6 hours ago, jameswalken said:

Yes, this is weird that it says Canadian citizens getting on a ship in Canada, heading to the U.S., have to complete ArriveCAN before embarkation since ArriveCAN is only required for those who are entering Canada. This is either a mistake on the part of Princess or some weird rule that applies to cruise ships. Regardless, the second part of that blurb states that you have to complete ArriveCAN within 72 hours of returning to Canada (if you get off the ship in Alaska. Except in rare cases, I can't imagine many people would go on a cruise to Alaska and not get off the ship). It is this part that I was referring to in answer to your original post on this subject.

Essentially, since this cruise ship disembarks in Canada and visits US ports, all passengers (no matter where they are resident) will need to complete ArriveCan for the cruise as they are arriving in Canada at the end of the cruise after having visited the United States. ArriveCan becomes available 72 hours before the cruise leaves port (for this cruise, September 14th). You will find that your will get a notice in your cabin that your steward will collect the ArriveCan QR code from you to ensure that all passengers have completed it.

2 hours ago, twprincessfirsties said:

On the Royal's COVID mask mandate.

We were on the Royal southbound voyage that arrived in Vancouver yesterday. I was somewhat dismayed that about 90% of passengers never donned masks (except on disembarkation) and the sip and cover policy was definitely not followed. This despite the same letter received and daily announcements from the captain. 

Despite these warnings, no crew member ever asked anyone to wear a mask anywhere on board (including the theater, Princess Live!, etc). There was always a request to either wash your hands or use a sanitizer when entering Horizon Court.

I would really hate to be onboard during an outbreak. Given the horror story of a previous cruiser and being confined to Dolphin Desk, I didn't feel that the request to wear a mask was onerous.

Very few are wearing masks and it’s not enforced. Even some of the cruise staff do not have them on.