Where is it best to wait out a passing thunderstorm on Coco Cay? Do services shut down?

SAmome

I know they kick you out of the water when there is lightening (rarely seems to rain without it).  That's probably where I'd prefer to ride it out, in the warm water already wet.

Trams still run back to the ship?  Bars and restaurants open?  

Anyone ride out a passing storm from their beach bed?  

I'm guessing it's pretty nice and empty after an afternoon storm so I'd rather ride it out instead of going back to the ship.  

Me and my friend were there the end of July.  We had a thunder/lightning storm and waited it out on a bed that we had.  Everyone was running to the ship.  It passed in 15-20 min and the beach was empty after. Everything stayed open and running. Some even came back.  I'd even wait it out under an umbrella.  Your on vacation...who cares if you get wet lol. The buffet areas are big and covered also. I had the best day on Coco Cay, even with the quick storm.  If you have a bed, it has a roof and canvas curtains you can clip together for some protection.  

All the sets of chairs have an umbrella. We sit under an umbrella and wait it out. Otherwise we would get drenched as we went back to the ship. Bars and restaurants are open. Bar servers, naturally, won’t be walking around taking drink orders in a downpour.   

The rain usually clears and we have a great day. 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1

4 hours ago, sushi62 said:

Me and my friend were there the end of July.  We had a thunder/lightning storm and waited it out on a bed that we had.  Everyone was running to the ship.  It passed in 15-20 min and the beach was empty after. Everything stayed open and running. Some even came back.  I'd even wait it out under an umbrella.  Your on vacation...who cares if you get wet lol. The buffet areas are big and covered also. I had the best day on Coco Cay, even with the quick storm.  If you have a bed, it has a roof and canvas curtains you can clip together for some protection.  

Thanks, I think that will be our plan, with temperatures so hot we might like a little rain!  Does the bed get pretty wet with the rain coming thru the top slats?  We have a bed at Breezy Bay.

If you have a beach bed, your "curtain walls" can actually be repositioned from one side to another. So we had some threat of rain coming from behind us, so we moved one "wall" behind our bed to minimize the amount of rain hitting us.

9 hours ago, SAmome said:

I know they kick you out of the water when there is lightening (rarely seems to rain without it).  That's probably where I'd prefer to ride it out, in the warm water already wet.

Lightning travels on the surface of the water, this is why they want you out of the water.

At the beach club last June we had a 10ish min downpour - we went under the restaurant area - they had towels ready.

Also last June had a brief downpour and we were on the beach there - they did put down the umbrellas bc of the wind - we just stayed under a towel until it passed

A bunch of people headed back to the ship - most of the time it's just a passing  shower & we just wait it out:)

Enjoy your trip!!!