Question regarding pre-cruise Covid testing via proxy

txflood33

Hello fellow cruisers

My 'vacation' officially started six and a half hours ago...as did my stress. I'm just an anxious traveler. I fly out next Tue to Vancouver and sail out to Hawaii on Thur. We ordered tests directly through X's site. We received 2 tests....Abbott BinaxNOW(including the brand in case different ones are used in different parts of the country or world...I'm in the US) with a QR code for eMed. It also says do not open until instructed to....ok, no problem. That makes sense . No fraud. QR code says scan to start testing.

Flip the box over and I see Download the NAVICA app before your appointment !! My question is, does the eMed test require an appointment ?

I went to their site and downloaded said app, but do not see a way to set up an appointment. I'm crossing my fingers someone comes back with can confirm, scan and go.

TIA

8 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Navica has nothing to do with testing---it's a reporting medium.  eMed DOES NOT require an appointment.  eMed will post your results on NAVICA.

this is great news. It did look like the app was just a way to get results. Will we receive an email with the results....and....will X accept an email on my phone or the NAVICA app results from my phone?

13 minutes ago, txflood33 said:

this is great news. It did look like the app was just a way to get results. Will we receive an email with the results....and....will X accept an email on my phone or the NAVICA app results from my phone?

Yes to all 3 questions.  

You also don't need the sleeve on the Binax box.  That QR code just is for downloading the Navica app.  You will log in to the Emed site to test (and can specify email of who is being tested at that time). When you test they will want to see on camera the back of the actual box before you open it and your ID.  Have a knife handy to open the box.

If you have the Navica app and log in with that on the eMed site your results will be reported via email and to the app.  If you don't bother with the Navica login you will get results via email.  Often comes in before you even sign out of the test but have had it take 5 minutes.

For a sailing out of Vancouver we needed to test two days max before sailing.  And don't forget to fill out ArriveCan for your flight and then after leaving customs area for ship.  Both the test and ArriveCan are Canada requirements.  ArriveCan for flight (and masks on flight and in YVR terminal).  ArriveCan and test for sailing out of Canada Place.  And Canada Place also requires masks until you get onboard.  

Edited by LeeW
clarity

No appointment needed.  When you are ready -  log on and you will get a slot usually withing 10-15 seconds.   

Only recommendation is make sure you purchased the  AbbottBinaxNow - AG test with one test in a box.     They also sell a home test without proctoring with two test in a kit that do not include proctoring. 

image.thumb.png.4f388de7e2c16a21ab19685499d9111c.png

43 minutes ago, fenton04 said:

one ArriveCAN is good for 72 hours

Not quite so. If you are entering Canada to cruise, for example by vehicle or flight, you must complete ArriveCan within 72 hours before you travel. Then you must complete it again, within 72 hours of embarkation. 

38 minutes ago, fenton04 said:

No problem.  I will figure it out.  We decided this is our last trip to Canada.  I know when we are not wanted.

There may be hope, there was a story on our local news tonight that the Canadian government is contemplating ditching the app. 🤞🤞🤞

1 hour ago, fenton04 said:

No problem.  I will figure it out.  We decided this is our last trip to Canada.  I know when we are not wanted.

Really?  ArriveCAN is great.  You complete the app ONCE with your information.   Then on subsequent trips just update the entry point and date.  Takes one minute.   All your details are saved.  Makes entry a breeze.