Seeing a Void of HAL Cruises From San Diego in 2023

mcrcruiser

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

After Feb 2023  there seems to be a void of HAL ships  leaving from San  Diego . Does any one have any knowledge why this is happening ? TIA

I’ll speculate HAL will deploy ships where they can make the highest per diem. And with current Covid restrictions easing, my guess is they believe Summer 2023 will be the opportunity to deploy ships in higher revenue regions. Pre-Covid, Hawaii/Mexican Riviera itineraries from LA/San Diego during the summer/Alaska season were a rare breed anyway. So I see this as simply a return to normal…

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Hasn't Koningsdam been sailing from San Diego?  Next summer she is sailing Alaska from Vancouver.

It is set to do longer cruises which makes no sense to me, at least for the spring.   It makes more sense to do those on the zaandam.  I have no desire to fly to Florida to do cruises, nor am I flying overseas.  It much easier to fly to San Diego.  I see no viable option for me in the spring due to deadlines and a general lack of holiday time I have now.  I hope options improve for fall.  I have no interest in Alaska when it’s cold where I live for what seems 10 months of the year.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

KDam is doing a wide variety if sailings from San Diego next Fall/Winter, including a number of Hawaii sailings, and at least one 35 day South Pacific. So, yes, they are doing fewer Mexican Rivera cruises. Zaandam makes an occasional appearance,  including a 10 or 11 day Mexican Rivera in late March or early April,  a very attractive route we gave serious thought to, but eventually did other things.

7 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

KDam is doing a wide variety if sailings from San Diego next Fall/Winter, including a number of Hawaii sailings, and at least one 35 day South Pacific. So, yes, they are doing fewer Mexican Rivera cruises. Zaandam makes an occasional appearance,  including a 10 or 11 day Mexican Rivera in late March or early April,  a very attractive route we gave serious thought to, but eventually did other things.

I see Alaska cruises for 2023 then a 35 day cruise in Feb 2024.  Where exactly are you seeing cruises next fall which would be 2023 not 2022?

8 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I was referring to Fall/ Winter 2022 into Spring 2023.

Since fall is a couple days away wouldn’t it make since to call it this fall?  I was hoping something would be on the website.  It’s very odd to me that the wouldn’t have anything for a year from now.  

• Like 1

Just now, Florida_gal_50 said:

Since fall is a couple days away wouldn’t it make since to call it this fall?  I was hoping something would be on the website.  It’s very odd to me that the wouldn’t have anything for a year from now.  

Look at it a different way...I was referring to the Fall/Winter/Spring San Diego cruising "season".

11 minutes ago, dchip said:

We are doing a Sea of Cortez/Mexican Riviera cruise on the Zaandam out of San Diego on 3/25/23

I might have considered that one even though it’s on the zaandam but the date doesn’t work.  It would be nice if they had more than one date because it that itinerary seems popular.

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I might have considered that one even though it’s on the zaandam but the date doesn’t work.  It would be nice if they had more than one date because it that itinerary seems popular.

Curious. What don’t you like about the Zaandam? We have cruised on both the Amsterdam and Maasdam and really like the ships. 
Denise

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dchip said:

Curious. What don’t you like about the Zaandam? We have cruised on both the Amsterdam and Maasdam and really like the ships. 
Denise

I just don’t like the old ships after being on the pinnacle class.  I like the amenities and the restaurants on the pinnacle ships.  I enjoy my balcony a lot and it’s just way too expensive on the smaller ships.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 2

I agree about the lack of a balcony cabin on Zaandam.  Veranda and Signature Suites are my go to cabins on HAL and Zaandam has neither.  To me the Vista cabins are too expensive compared to a regular Verandah cabin.  The cabins are the main reason I haven't booked on her.  I would like to do the extended Mexican Riviera cruise that includes La Paz, etc. if it was offered on other ships.  I would like the Vista Class ships for that itinerary. (Oosterdam, Zuiderdam, Noordam or Westerdam)

~Nancy

• Like 4

1 minute ago, oakridger said:

I agree about the lack of a balcony cabin on Zaandam.  Veranda and Signature Suites are my go to cabins on HAL and Zaandam has neither.  To me the Vista cabins are too expensive compared to a regular Verandah cabin.  The cabins are the main reason I haven't booked on her.  I would like to do the extended Mexican Riviera cruise that includes La Paz, etc. if it was offered on other ships.  I would like the Vista Class ships for that itinerary. (Oosterdam, Zuiderdam, Noordam or Westerdam)

~Nancy

While I’d like the pinnacle this class is acceptable too.  Even better the eurodam or nieuw Amsterdam, which I know are not vista ships.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I just don’t like the old ships after being on the pinnacle class.  I like the amenities and the restaurants on the pinnacle ships.  I enjoy my balcony a lot and it’s just way too expensive on the smaller ships.

Thanks. Makes perfect sense! 
Denise. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Suggest that you  look again . The only cruises we see is on Noordam  & Volendam  ,.The shortest cruise in the 24 day Noordam , Departs San Diego Oct 8,2023 & ends in Sydney Australia  .Then there are 48 & 51 day cruises . No Mexican Riviera  ,No Coastal California & No Hawaii cruises for HAL from SD  after February 2023

Koningsdam comes back for one cruise ,February 17 ,2024 from SD to Hawaii & South Pacific islands  for a  35 day cruise. The cheapest VH category balcony have it all on a travel agents web site is $ 8349  per person . 

Edited by mcrcruiser

11 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Suggest that you  look again . The only cruises we see is on Noordam  & Volendam  ,.The shortest cruise in the 24 day Noordam , Departs San Diego Oct 8,2023 & ends in Sydney Australia  .Then there are 48 & 51 day cruises . No Mexican Riviera  ,No Coastal California & No Hawaii cruises for HAL from SD  after February 2023

Koningsdam comes back for one cruise ,February 17 ,2024 from SD to Hawaii & South Pacific islands  for a  35 day cruise. The cheapest VH category balcony have it all on a travel agents web site is $ 8349  per person . 

Suggest you read my comments again. I was talking about Fall 2022 to Spring 2023.

• Like 1

We live  by the Pacific Ocean here in north county San Diego . We were thinking we might take a Caribbean cruise & spend some time after  visiting & some sight seeing until I checked airfares . No longer can we see any round trip prices on Alaska airlines  .Alaska does non stop flights from SD to Orlando & FT Lauderdale   .Then when we prices 2   R/T  coach seats  the price was close to $1050 .00 & that is this years prices  . When we add it all up , it  is way too costly  considering  10 to 12 extra land days & a car rental . We rather put it on any cruise from SD or LA  or perhaps Alaska on Norwegian with their buy one get one air  free plus all their other perk sale running  now

Bottom line is we will cruise or travel that best suits the over all cost factors  .We are thankful that we sailed many cruises around the world before   prices got  so high with this  inflation