Missed the boat?

mfs2k

11 minutes ago, Orator said:

Be sure to take the name and contact number of the Port Agent with you. They will contact the ship and tell them of any delays.

Those catamaran excursions usually hold 50-75 passengers so we won’t be the only ones left behind. 

4 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

We have never booked a private tour after 40+ cruises out of fear we will be left behind. We know they're cheaper and more customized, but I would be anxious and always checking my watch which would ruin the tour for me.  One time we were in Monaco, France during the Grand Prix, a passenger missed their train and had to pay several hundred dollars for a taxi back to the ship.  

That's a shame as private tours give you the opportunity to personalise your tour and a much more relaxed experience. We always book with ToursbyLocals who's standard conditions include paying to get you to the next port if you miss the ship. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

We have never booked a private tour after 40+ cruises out of fear we will be left behind. We know they're cheaper and more customized, but I would be anxious and always checking my watch which would ruin the tour for me.  One time we were in Monaco, France during the Grand Prix, a passenger missed their train and had to pay several hundred dollars for a taxi back to the ship.  

That'll teach them, bet they won't miss another train again!

I follow the roll calls for our cruises and see all of the independent tours planned, but DH absolutely will only book ship excursions. It's one of a few things he's not willing to do with regards to cruising; however, he never asks how much the suite cabin costs...so there's give and take in planning a cruise.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

Yes. That’s the excursion we’re on too. Also departs at 430 for a 3 hour catamaran sail. The only difference is our cruise (10/26 Beyond) departs Curacao at 8pm so there’s a lot less room for error on our 3 hour cruise. (Singing Gilligan's Island theme song in my head).

Hopefully you get back with time to spare 😉

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, the penguins said:

That's a shame as private tours give you the opportunity to personalise your tour and a much more relaxed experience. We always book with ToursbyLocals who's standard conditions include paying to get you to the next port if you miss the ship. 

Yes, we have used ToursbyLocals and have nothing but good things to say about them.

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

normally we don’t either but the $1,000 OBC was an enticement to book a cruise line excursion. 

Can OBC be used to prepay for excursions that are pre-booked?  Since I've not booked a ship excursion, I don't know how that works.  Plus, I've never had that much OBC!

1 minute ago, GORDONCHICK said:

Can OBC be used to prepay for excursions that are pre-booked?  Since I've not booked a ship excursion, I don't know how that works.  Plus, I've never had that much OBC!

If you have Celebrity OBC and it shows in your cruise planner, you can use it in advance to pay for ship sponsored tours and excursions. 
I’m told Travel Agent On board credit is available to use after you board. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

If you have Celebrity OBC and it shows in your cruise planner, you can use it in advance to pay for ship sponsored tours and excursions. 
I’m told Travel Agent On board credit is available to use after you board. 

Most of my OBCs usually come from my TA.

9 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

Thank goodness we were never late in St. Petersburg!

10 hours ago, mfs2k said:

We’re booked on a cruise excursion sunset catamaran cruise which returns to our ship in Curacao just before departure. 

I read this on the excursion description:

In the unlikely event that your tour is significantly delayed, we'll make all the arrangements for you to return to the ship at the earliest opportunity with no expense to you.”

our next port is in Aruba the following day. 

What really happens when your excursion gets you back to the ship after it’s departed?

If you booked this excursion through celebrity they will not leave you behind.  Happened with me twice & I am very thankful (and lucky) that those two times were booked through celebrity.   I’m talking about 30 minutes after ship was to depart.   Otherwise, I think I would still be in Aruba😉

5 minutes ago, dogsled said:

If you booked this excursion through celebrity they will not leave you behind

That’s what I thought but this language on the Celebrity site doesn’t say they ll wait for us. 
In the unlikely event that your tour is significantly delayed, we'll make all the arrangements for you to return to the ship at the earliest opportunity with no expense to you.”

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

That’s what I thought but this language on the Celebrity site doesn’t say they ll wait for us. 
In the unlikely event that your tour is significantly delayed, we'll make all the arrangements for you to return to the ship at the earliest opportunity with no expense to you.”

There are so many factors that this line covers. For example - significant delay. This implies something more than a half hour or so. If the ship has to leave due to weather, or port requirements then they would leave. This then means that Celebrity will ensure you are returned to the ship at the next port, or ‘earliest opportunity’. They pay for your accommodations and travel arrangements to meet up with the ship again. 

6 hours ago, the penguins said:

We always book with ToursbyLocals who's standard conditions include paying to get you to the next port if you miss the ship. 

Thank you for sharing this piece.  I will be sure to look them up and to make sure to read the T & S, ensuring this is in there.  If so, they have my business. 

An advantage to me of being on a private tour is that i can say I’ve had enough or I’d rather have lunch in a different restaurant. The only ship excursions I do are either in difficult locations (unusual) or if the local operators are booked or to use OBC. 

2 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

Thank you for sharing this piece.  I will be sure to look them up and to make sure to read the T & S, ensuring this is in there.  If so, they have my business. 

A quick summary of TBl.

1) you deal direct with the guide.

2) you pay via the "lovely ladies" in Canada. The Guide gets their money after the tour.

3) all aspects of the tour can be personalised. We drop the lunch and add coffee and cake breaks. No shopping unless you want it. You choose the start and end time.

4) normally we choose a guide with a vehicle that holds 6 to 8 but then restrict the group to 4 - us plus one other couple found from the Roll Call - we like the space.

5) full refund if the ship doesn't dock or you are refused landing.

6) you can pay extra to be able to cancel for any reason.If you take that option and don't cancel the premium paid is moved as a credit against another tour.

If you do share be honest with your fellow travellers for example we say " we walk slowly, my wife uses a folding 4 wheeled walker, we take lots of photos and we stop for coffee and cake breaks".

We have used TBl in Japan, China, South America, USA, Europe, the UK and never had a bad guide.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dogsled said:

If you booked this excursion through celebrity they will not leave you behind.  Happened with me twice & I am very thankful (and lucky) that those two times were booked through celebrity.   I’m talking about 30 minutes after ship was to depart.   Otherwise, I think I would still be in Aruba😉

And why, exactly, would that be a problem?  😄

• Haha 1