Hurricane Fiona

kreemmer

1 hour ago, kreemmer said:

Any update for ships leaving this weekend for Canada? We leave Friday from Quebec... what will happen with ports scheduled? Any ideas or info?

keep your eyes and ears open and follow national and local forecasts, like everyone else

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

the Getaway is sailing into the storm going to Canada this weekend instead of the original Bermuda itinerary

I'm on the Getaway tomorrow. That itinerary change seems illogical to me. Why head towards the hurricane??

We were supposed to get to Bermuda on Saturday. The storm will be past Bermuda by then, so why not just go to Bermuda??

Something just popped into my head while reading about the hurricane and ships being rerouted to Canada:

What might happen to someone who booked a cruise to Bermuda and totally out of their control, is rerouted at the last minute because of weather to Canada if the person is unvaccinated (Canada still has a vaccine requirement, at least for now) or, for that matter,  if the person is inadmissible to Canada because of some infraction (which I've read about in the past as a concern of some wanting to cruise to Alaska)?

Might they be told they can't board, be allowed to board, but won't be able to get off the ship in Canada, or with all the last minute confusion, this "situation" will just be ignored?

I know none of us probably knows for sure and I'm sure there are more pressing concerns right now,  but to someone in this situation I guess it would be a pressing concern. I wonder if anyone's ever found themselves in this situation?

I hope everyone cruising in the next week or so has a safe and enjoyable trip in spite of all the uncertainty!

39 minutes ago, namaste1223 said:

Something just popped into my head while reading about the hurricane and ships being rerouted to Canada:

What might happen to someone who booked a cruise to Bermuda and totally out of their control, is rerouted at the last minute because of weather to Canada if the person is unvaccinated (Canada still has a vaccine requirement, at least for now) or, for that matter,  if the person is inadmissible to Canada because of some infraction (which I've read about in the past as a concern of some wanting to cruise to Alaska)?

Might they be told they can't board, be allowed to board, but won't be able to get off the ship in Canada, or with all the last minute confusion, this "situation" will just be ignored?

I know none of us probably knows for sure and I'm sure there are more pressing concerns right now,  but to someone in this situation I guess it would be a pressing concern. I wonder if anyone's ever found themselves in this situation?

I hope everyone cruising in the next week or so has a safe and enjoyable trip in spite of all the uncertainty!

Unvaccinated passengers should be denied boarding. Passengers with a felony (not minor infraction) criminal record to include DUI would be denied entry into Canada. Passengers will need to register with the Canadian app (vs. the Bermuda app). 

Exactly 5 years ago, our cruise to Bermuda ended up going to Halifax to avoid Hurricane Maria. We got 2 days notice (email, phone, text message) and quickly repacked for cooler weather. But,,, there were people who showed up at the terminal expecting to go to Bermuda. 

The Port of Sydney just posted on their FB page that the Norwegian Pearl visit scheduled for Monday is canceled and the Port of Charlottetown also canceled the Pearl visit on Sunday

That is 2 canceled ports

Edited by shof515

On 9/21/2022 at 9:57 PM, shof515 said:

the Getaway is sailing into the storm going to Canada this weekend instead of the original Bermuda itinerary

I wonder how many of these would-be Bermuda travelers know about ArriveCAN?  I believe both have a negative test requirement so that might not be an issue but I suspect embarkation will be chaos.

On 9/22/2022 at 12:17 AM, Blossom73 said:

We were supposed to get to Bermuda on Saturday. The storm will be past Bermuda by then, so why not just go to Bermuda??

Perhaps a little research on the effects of a storm on waves and wind  hundreds of miles from the storm center would answer your question?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Should I be concerned about rocky seas?  I'm on the Zaandam leaving Boston Saturday, 9/24, for Montreal...stopping in Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Quebec...

I'm more concerned about getting seasick than port visits (my son is a musician on the ship and my main reason for going) but want good info on both ports and sea conditions.

It's my first cruise (assuming the Staten Island Ferry doesn't count)...all advice gratefully received.

Edited by Ruthenium
  • Like 1

Hi from Bermuda ….. the worst has already passed and the sun has come out. It’s still windy but dying down, and it’s dry outside. 

Great Sound sea is still curdling with white caps. 

Fiona’s eye passed about 100 miles west of us so we didn’t receive hurricane force winds but some tropical ones. We didn’t lose power but our cable/internet and phone are out. 

We’re good. 

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, Quencups said:

Just checking in on poster Bermudabound I think who lives in Bermuda....hope everyone is ok as the webcam appears to be down.  I LOVE the people of Bermuda and hope the damage wasn't too severe and that no lives were lost... 

Bluesea 777 is from Bermuda, as seen in post above. Bermudabound is from Michigan and Maui, if memory serves me correctly.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Hi from Bermuda ….. the worst has already passed and the sun has come out. It’s still windy but dying down, and it’s dry outside. 

Great Sound sea is still curdling with white caps. 

Fiona’s eye passed about 100 miles west of us so we didn’t receive hurricane force winds but some tropical ones. We didn’t lose power but our cable/internet and phone are out. 

We’re good. 

VERY happy to hear that!!

53 minutes ago, Ruthenium said:

Should I be concerned about rocky seas?  I'm on the Zaandam leaving Boston Saturday, 9/24, for Montreal...stopping in Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Quebec...

I'm more concerned about getting seasick than port visits (my son is a musician on the ship and my main reason for going) but want good info on both ports and sea conditions.

It's my first cruise (assuming the Staten Island Ferry doesn't count)...all advice gratefully received.

There is a good possibility that you will have rough seas at some point.

If you are worried, hit a pharmacy and ask for a bottle of the OTC generic meclizine tablets. It is less expensive than buying brand name Bonine. 

The tablets are 25 mg that means it is easier to take the amount you might need.

My daughter who is very prone to motion sickness, takes one tablet before boarding the ship.

Also, if the Yum-yum man is outside the MDR at night (look outside the level with the traditional seating), there will be pieces of candied ginger to eat. Ginger is good for motion sickness.

• Like 1