QE Self Service Laundry

LB_NJ

7 hours ago, Down-Unders said:

So are you condoning such behavior? what about the elderly ? do you expect them to be running around looking for another laundry. When this happens to me I just  go into my army voice never rude just like my old Sargent Major and question the behavior of the person who is  going to take at least 30 minutes ironing  their clothes.

Yes I do - because they came looking for the laundry in the first place - so what's the big deal about walking back to the lifts and going to another floor?  There  aren't laundries on every floor. If they are so disabled they can't walk to another laundry they should probably just send the items out for service 

Look I've never ironed anything except the odd shirt  which was a bit damp when it came out of the drier.  But I don't' see why its a huge deal if someone is doing more than one item. 

4 minutes ago, lissie said:

Yes I do - because they came looking for the laundry in the first place - so what's the big deal about walking back to the lifts and going to another floor?  There  aren't laundries on every floor. If they are so disabled they can't walk to another laundry they should probably just send the items out for service 

Look I've never ironed anything except the odd shirt  which was a bit damp when it came out of the drier.  But I don't' see why its a huge deal if someone is doing more than one item. 

No, I don’t see why having a small number of items gives you the right to queue barge. Usually, in the supermarket, if I have a trolley full, I might let someone with only one item go in front, but I’m not sure ironing is quite a same. The person in a hurry with only one item is surely capable of planning better and allowing more time rather than expecting someone to give way to them. Of course, none of this about ironing is from personal experience. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

No, I don’t see why having a small number of items gives you the right to queue barge. Usually, in the supermarket, if I have a trolley full, I might let someone with only one item go in front, but I’m not sure ironing is quite a same. The person in a hurry with only one item is surely capable of planning better and allowing more time rather than expecting someone to give way to them. Of course, none of this about ironing is from personal experience. 😀

I've never seen someone try to "queue barge" for the iron in the launderette, but I agree with your comment about planning better. Many years ago, a colleague at work had a sign in his office "A lack of preparedness on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on my part."

Don't remember which floor, but here is a QE launderette. My complaint about the ironing board is that it's too close to the wall.

IMG_20220618_151847586_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

It's one thing to wash a few smalls, but surely. after spending thousands on a holiday it makes no sense to penny pinch and waste your valuable time. Send the laundry out for a few dollars.

Lets keep this civil no one is penny pinching, we just wear expensive clothes and don't do laundry after getting a very expensive jacket ruined. Now I understand the way the world has gone with dress codes, on a business class flight recently again I had to raise my ex army voice when this fella decided to sit in his bare  feet. Read carefully what I said, if someone is doing 12 shirts and I want to iron a shirt for dinner, would you not have the good manners to let the person iron one item. But I forgot good manners have gone by the wayside. 

15 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I've never seen someone try to "queue barge" for the iron in the launderette, but I agree with your comment about planning better. Many years ago, a colleague at work had a sign in his office "A lack of preparedness on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on my part."

Don't remember which floor, but here is a QE launderette. My complaint about the ironing board is that it's too close to the wall.

IMG_20220618_151847586_HDR.jpg

No one is queue barging, do you not think if someone is doing their weekly ironing that it would be good manners to offer to let the person with one item use the iron, especially someone good looking like myself. I have seen fights as good as any I have seen in Madison Square Garden not only in the laundry but with chairs out  on the decks.

1 hour ago, Down-Unders said:

No one is queue barging, do you not think if someone is doing their weekly ironing that it would be good manners to offer to let the person with one item use the iron, especially someone good looking like myself. I have seen fights as good as any I have seen in Madison Square Garden not only in the laundry but with chairs out  on the decks.

You made a comment and got replies, all of which were pretty similar in their thoughts, however expressed.

I would let a one garment be ironed if I had a load to do but that won't ever happen as I don't iron on holiday. The simple answer is, go find another iron and ironing board if the one you want is in use.

2 hours ago, Down-Unders said:

Lets keep this civil no one is penny pinching, we just wear expensive clothes and don't do laundry after getting a very expensive jacket ruined. Now I understand the way the world has gone with dress codes, on a business class flight recently again I had to raise my ex army voice when this fella decided to sit in his bare  feet. Read carefully what I said, if someone is doing 12 shirts and I want to iron a shirt for dinner, would you not have the good manners to let the person iron one item. But I forgot good manners have gone by the wayside. 

Love how threads wander. From pressing clothes to bare feet on a flight. 😄 I often sit in bare feet on a flight, apart from shoes on to the loo as I am invariably in open shoes. Raise your ex army voice to me as much as you want. They would still stay bare.

Pressing. Courtesy possibly but then may be others want that courtesy extended to them and what was a soul destroying twenty mins'ish, could turn into forever.

Put it another way. If some poor soul was ploughing through twelve shirts [really? in one go? does that happen in reality?] it would be courtesy to leave him/her alone in their misery.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Down-Unders said:

No, I don’t. I think it would be good manners to plan your day, so you leave sufficient time to do your ironing without harassing someone else who is doing theirs. If I were to arrive to find someone in mid session, I would either go to another ironing place or come back later. As I say, this is for me entirely theoretical, as I don’t believe in ironing in any circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

No, I don’t. I think it would be good manners to plan your day, so you leave sufficient time to do your ironing without harassing someone else who is doing theirs. If I were to arrive to find someone in mid session, I would either go to another ironing place or come back later. As I say, this is for me entirely theoretical, as I don’t believe in ironing in any circumstances.

If that sounds rather harsh, I would add this. If someone turned up while I was mid-ironing, apologised for disturbing me, said they had messed up their timing, and asked very politely if I would mind ceding the iron for a few minutes, without attempting to bully or bark at me, I’m sure I would be happy to help.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Moving beyond etiquette, and assuming there are free machines, does anyone know from experience whether these washing machines only take powder detergent, or if it's possible to use pods or liquid detergent? (And fabric softener, ideally?) Would prefer to use a specific sensitive skin detergent if possible.

11 minutes ago, maybealexislost said:

Moving beyond etiquette, and assuming there are free machines, does anyone know from experience whether these washing machines only take powder detergent, or if it's possible to use pods or liquid detergent? (And fabric softener, ideally?) Would prefer to use a specific sensitive skin detergent if possible.

'Beyond etiquette', hmmm. Cunard have a notice in the laundries I have been in to let you know that they do not use pods specifically because they cause more damage to the marine environment (plastics) so it would be poor etiquette in my opinion to go against their decision and their preference.

I use the powder they supply because I assume that's the one they want people to use. I have sensitive skin and don't have any problem or issues with it and never notice any smell from it. I don't use fabric softener but I would assume the less of that sort of stuff that is being discharged into the ocean the better.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, maybealexislost said:

Use what they provide - its unscented and is designed to go through their grey water system. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, maybealexislost said:

The machines have an "extra rinse" option, or at least they did when I was on QE in June. As much as I try to conserve water, I want to make sure the soap is out of my clothing.

You can use less soap than is recommended by the instructions--I've often thought the powder scoops were larger than necessary. I do that at home (I don't use pods for that reason). When Cunard had pods full of powder, I would break one open and use just half of the soap, especially if I was doing a small load. There are, or were, settings for load size.

5 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The machines have an "extra rinse" option, or at least they did when I was on QE in June. As much as I try to conserve water, I want to make sure the soap is out of my clothing.

You can use less soap than is recommended by the instructions--I've often thought the powder scoops were larger than necessary. I do that at home (I don't use pods for that reason). When Cunard had pods full of powder, I would break one open and use just half of the soap, especially if I was doing a small load. There are, or were, settings for load size.

The powder scoop on QE in the deck 5 laundry in February was a silver dessert spoon.

Very Cunard. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, exlondoner said:

Plate, to quote the immortal Cyd Charisse.

My memories of Cyd Charisse don't extend to her discussing cutlery (surely she wouldn't have referred to her legs as silver? Gold, if anything and not just plated).

I did think about stating that the spoon was silver plated but thought it redundant. I must admit though that I didn't check (would have been poor manners to do so ;)]

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

The powder scoop on QE in the deck 5 laundry in February was a silver dessert spoon.

Very Cunard. 😉

Or expediency as the scoop had gone walkabout! 😄

14 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

My memories of Cyd Charisse don't extend to her discussing cutlery (surely she wouldn't have referred to her legs as silver? Gold, if anything and not just plated).

I did think about stating that the spoon was silver plated but thought it redundant. I must admit though that I didn't check (would have been poor manners to do so ;)]

I’m fear you may be mistaken. When she and Sinatra are looking at the wedding presents while singing ‘Who wants to be a millionaire?’ in High Society, she turns an item over and quite clearly says ‘Plate’. Interesting 

ly, I use a stainless steel trifle spoon for my water softener.

41 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I’m fear you may be mistaken. When she and Sinatra are looking at the wedding presents while singing ‘Who wants to be a millionaire?’ in High Society, she turns an item over and quite clearly says ‘Plate’. Interesting 

ly, I use a stainless steel trifle spoon for my water softener.

OMG, why did I type Cyd Charisse, it was Celeste Holm, excellent, but definitely not the legs. Soooooooo sorry.

• Like 1