Celebrity Silhouette - Fetch your own drinks from the bar...

prothed

This thread proves how different we all are. We’re on hols and sitting waiting to be served a drink is hardly a big deal. And as I said early, we don’t mind going to the bar.  What does wind us up with bars, drinks and queues are those that push in, that happens in queues and when you’re sat waiting for someone to serve you. And I would rather wait a bit for service than Celebrity invest in more staff that in turn increases cruise prices. Chill out you cruisers.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

This thread proves how different we all are. We’re on hols and sitting waiting to be served a drink is hardly a big deal. And as I said early, we don’t mind going to the bar.  What does wind us up with bars, drinks and queues are those that push in, that happens in queues and when you’re sat waiting for someone to serve you. And I would rather wait a bit for service than Celebrity invest in more staff that in turn increases cruise prices. Chill out you cruisers.

It's a big deal to me, particularly when I'm cruising solo. Either I have to get a drink and put it on a table (or carry it with me) while I get my food in the buffet or I get my food and put it on a table to get cold while I seek a drink. Meanwhile, I have to hope that no one clears my place while I'm wandering to the bar or getting food after getting a drink. (And yes, it's happened.)

Last month in the buffet (where I ate all of my meals; I don't go to the dining room when I'm solo), I was asked if I wanted a drink about 25% of the time. That's not acceptable.

3 hours ago, C4HCG said:

I could not agree more, C4HCG.!! We relax on vacation, being on a break from work 🙂.   

• Like 1

I am so happy that nothing about my cruise is defined by my ability to get an alcoholic drink.  I get asked all the time, but usually smile and say no thank you; however, maybe I am missing something, so will up my drinking ante on my upcoming cruises.  However, if I do have any issues with gettting my premium water, it will not be pretty😱  We all have priorities, but patience nowadays is limited by things happening over and over again without improvement.  It is not just Celebrity having these issues; customer service has been going down for quite a few years, but C exacerbated everything, or is it much more complicated than that?🤔

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I am so happy that nothing about my cruise is defined by my ability to get an alcoholic drink.  I get asked all the time, but usually smile and say no thank you; however, maybe I am missing something, so will up my drinking ante on my upcoming cruises.  However, if I do have any issues with gettting my premium water, it will not be pretty😱  We all have priorities, but patience nowadays is limited by things happening over and over again without improvement.  It is not just Celebrity having these issues; customer service has been going down for quite a few years, but C exacerbated everything, or is it much more complicated than that?🤔

Lastdance, thanks for popping in with a sense of humor!!

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 2:36 PM, CNSfromHI said:

We just returned from the same cruise and never had any trouble finding someone to serve us. In the Oceanview, too, we were usually asked shortly after sitting down at a table if we wanted something from the bar.

cjr

People just like to complain on here. Nobody is ever satisfied, and there is always at least one reason that somebody needs to complain. I have been on several celebrity cruises over the years, and I’ve never had that one complaint. And I am a common folk, and do not stay in the suites, and did not delete or whatever it is everybody likes to call it and brag about.  People, stop, complaining and enjoy yourselves.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bdstickks0944 said:

People just like to complain on here. Nobody is ever satisfied, and there is always at least one reason that somebody needs to complain. I have been on several celebrity cruises over the years, and I’ve never had that one complaint. And I am a common folk, and do not stay in the suites, and did not delete or whatever it is everybody likes to call it and brag about.  People, stop, complaining and enjoy yourselves.

As positive you are, you are not "a common folk".  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

Same here, and I always have my beverage in hand when I decide to sit and relax somewhere, but then I am up and about again and always find a bar or location to grab another drink if needed.  Even when a server does come to me when I am sitting someplace, I usually have to say thanks but no thanks, I am still nursing this bad boy, cheers!

• Like 5

On the subject of being served drinks, on my two week cruise this June, my wife and I were in a suite for the first time. Thus, our tips and were already paid for. However, on the last full day of the cruise, I went around tipping all of my bartenders, servers, stateroom attendant, etc., as if our tips were not already paid for. Apparently, all of these people knew that I was giving double tips, because, on that last day, I never, ever had to wait for a drink. I wouldn't be finished with the one that I was drinking and a fresh one would already be there waiting for me without me even having asked for it. I would be walking from one part of the ship to another, and suddenly there would be a drink in my hand, handed to me by a passing bartender or server without me asking for it; it was freaky and awesome. I spent most of the day fairly drunk (luckily I can really hold my liquor), and I had a great time.

• Haha 3

On 9/23/2022 at 11:32 AM, BigAl94 said:

It's not acceptable given the cost of cruises. It's not a new thing - service we found reduced in recent years, frequently involved getting drinks yourself unless seated at a bar,

Since most/many now have the beverage package it's not in Celebrities "financial best interest" to make drinks flow freely. Every drink served is a HIT to the bottom line.

• Like 1

I have enjoyed this thread. Some of my fondest memories revolve around bars, alcohol, and drinks of all kinds. I am also very impatient and knowing this I have always found my way to the bar when I perceive that I might wish to partake of some adult liquid libations.

I believe it was the first time I was on a cruise when I had someone come around and ask if I wanted a beverage and I said “Yes.” The waiting for them to return with my beverage for me was almost painful. I calculated that I could have found my way to the bar, ordered the beverage, found my way back to my seat, consumed said beverage, and presented the empty container to the waiter upon his return. Well not really but at the time it seemed that way. Lesson learned, if I feel I must have a drink, I usually find my way to the nearest watering hole and partake.

I also will often act as wait staff for my spouse since that’s how we first met. I presented her with a rum and coke, and she presented me with the keys to her heart. I guess I understand that when you are tasked with serving alcoholic beverages to adults on vacation, sometimes there are way too many customers to be served and not enough time to do it.

• Like 5

On 9/23/2022 at 9:29 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

It's always been a mixed bag for us on Celebrity.  We've had both waited service and self service on all cruises. 

Sometimes I get stage fright when approached by a drink waiter and blurt out the first thing that comes to my mind...

Me:  I'll have a tiramisu martini, please.

Them:  I'm sorry, a what madam?

Me:  (now very confidently) a tiramisu martini, please

Them:  (confused) and madam what would those ingredients be?

Me: (looking to DH for help)

DH:  My wife would like an espresso martini please

Me:  Yes!  That's it.  Thank you!

Never fails...every time we have a drinks package, I get hung up on what to order.  I want to step outside of my little box and get something exotic...but alas, exotic, I am not.  Having said all that, we don't have a problem getting our own drinks.  It gives me a chance to pic the bartender's brain on new drinks to try.  

There is a tiramisu martini at the Martini Bar on the Millennium.

I never had it as the Black Forest Martini was my dessert drink choice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We’ve been on 5 cruises since the restart.  In November 2020, lots of servers on Reflection, the staff outnumbered the guests.  Never any issue getting a drink.  We heard from a number of the crew that the USCIS was not approving visas very quickly, and crew were struggling to get to ships.  

Summit over Christmas.  Fewer than 600 guests onboard, never any issue getting a drink.

Reflection over NYE, 1750 guests, about 1200 +/- crew.  Most of the time, no issue getting a drink, but often it was faster to walk to the bar at the pool because of the time of day.  In the Oceanview, at lunch, we typically were able to flag down a bar server for a drink but often had to ask an asst waiter who was walking by to send us one.

Silhouette in Feb 2022: no issues,  but we spent most of our time on the retreat deck or the cafe.  Again, we heard from crew friends that visas were a serious issue.  One senior food service staff member we had met numerous times had been extended over and over, and was now 9 months into what was supposed to be a 4 month contract.  Scheduling kept asking him to extend due to visa issues with his peers.  

May 2022 on Millennium we noticed the lack of staff.  By this time, Solstice, Eclipse, Beyond, and Infinity were all being staffed up or sailing.   We definitely saw a crack in the facade, but made the most of it.  The staff we met were glad to be there, glad to be working, and they were hopping.  In the Oceanview, a mini bar area was set up on each side, where normally food would be, with a waiter to hand out bottled/canned drinks and pour glasses of wine.  We did not see many bar servers because Celebrity was struggling to get them to ships.  We also saw significant issues with supply chains.  The F&B manager discussed the supply chains during the announcements and info part of the galley tour that was offered to all.    

We saw that Celebrity was recruiting staff heavily along the Adriatic during the summer.   I do not know how successful they were.  All the cruse lines are short handed.  We even saw one of the lines (don’t recall which one) recruiting in KCMO and STL.  That is a totally new development.  

If I have to get up and go to a bar, I’ll do it. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, bdstickks0944 said:

Whatever.  It’s amusing to me to see all the people complain about having to go get a drink. It’s called laziness. 

I mean, I don't know if it's laziness as much as it is expectation and frankly, age demographic.  For example, my parents are avid cruisers but they are also elderly.  They probably rely on waited service more than I would because of stamina and mobility.  In their shoes, I'd be annoyed if I couldn't get drink service.  Can dad wait at a bar?  Of course.  Should he have to?  No.  My point is not to argue with you but rather, just to bring to light all sides of the coin.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I mean, I don't know if it's laziness as much as it is expectation and frankly, age demographic.  For example, my parents are avid cruisers but they are also elderly.  They probably rely on waited service more than I would because of stamina and mobility.  In their shoes, I'd be annoyed if I couldn't get drink service.  Can dad wait at a bar?  Of course.  Should he have to?  No.  My point is not to argue with you but rather, just to bring to light all sides of the coin.

Interested to understand why he shouldn’t have to? Is service at your seat part of your contract and what you pay for? Not having a dig at you or your Dad, just would like to understand why you think that.

When a bar has a 5 figure cover charge and offers bar service at your table, one could reasonably expect it to actually happen.  

I'm OK with bellying up for a drink if there's not a line at the bar, but certainly understand why, AI packages or no, people would expect staffing commensurate with the cover charge.

A good restaurant will hold back reservations if they're understaffed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bdstickks0944 said:

Whatever.  It’s amusing to me to see all the people complain about having to go get a drink. It’s called laziness. 

I don’t think so.

Years ago I was on an escalator & a young child asked her mum why people were on escalator rather than the stairs like they were. The mum said because we were lazy. Mainly people who were elderly & me, with my walking stick.

My point is you never know why people can’t do something & shouldn’t judge. 

Also I’ve paid for a product or service I expect their side of the bargain to be fulfilled. I won’t mind once or twice but regularly then I’ll be looking elsewhere.

I consider Celebrity to be like a 5* hotel. I don’t expect to queue for service in 5* hotels. Maybe I’m wrong & its 4* in which case they need to lower their prices. I’d not be surprised to queue for a drink in a 4* hotel. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

Interested to understand why he shouldn’t have to? Is service at your seat part of your contract and what you pay for? Not having a dig at you or your Dad, just would like to understand why you think that.

I only said I don't think it's about laziness. So not really sure which part of my comment you are responding to.