Retreat - Chair Hogs?

Guest 4-2-N-8

Do chair hogs exist on Celebrity ships, especially in Retreat areas, or does Celebrity staff (and passenger respect) mean this is a non-issue?

Booked two cruises on Beyond to try out the line. Hopefully, this is a non-issue or at minimum promptly remediated if it rears its head.

Just now, cruisestitch said:

Of course they exist…every line, every ship…some cleverer than others

B9D5C895-CAC5-4367-9608-6F447F985B54.jpeg

So on Celebrity, the chair hogs might employ more ingenuity. Got it.

Very disrespectful, the chair hogs.

Does Celebrity police the pool areas, at least, especially the Retreat?

I think there are chair hogs on all ships even when there is no need.    I've never seen a lack of chairs in Retreat be seen people stake out a couple chairs that are shaded early morning and never show up until after noon even when no one is at the retreat.

On our last cruise on Apex there were  a handful of people who got there early staked out a area with couches in the shade, loungers under a umbrella and a lounger near the pool.  They made sure they had a spot for all occasions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, jelayne said:

On our last cruise on Apex there were  a handful of people who got there early staked out a area with couches in the shade, loungers under a umbrella and a lounger near the pool.  They made sure they had a spot for all occasions.

Is this frowned upon or staff let it slide?

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

Now THAT makes me angry. Not sure how the staff could police that behavior, but how could you be so selfish - go sit on your balcony!

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Now THAT makes me angry. Not sure how the staff could police that behavior, but how could you be so selfish - go sit on your balcony!

Agreed.

In Retreat there are also pool hogs.

To mitigate againat chair hogs, and make sure all needs are met it would help if there was someone on the Retreat deck that was clearly responsible for the guest experience.  All expensive resorts have people in those roles.  Lots of talk about butlers and concierges, but ultimately someone should clearly be in charge of the guest experience, monitor guests for attention to their needs, make sure other staff are actually doing their roles, etc. Not split into various functions. Sure there are people walking around in uniforms, department heads by function, etc., but on Edge it was difficult to discern what was really on top of things other than the maitre'd in Luminae.  Lots of being asked can I get you anything, but really not clear if the person is able to follow through.  The concierges seem to be busy showing paper menus to people who can't use the app, and booking future cruises.  Then there are drink attendants that are only that, not even food servers   no wonder there is a chair hog issue.  We were left to wonder who is actually owning the current cruise experience.  Chair hogs wouldn't exist if there was someone going around periodically and socializing the experience, asking if the hog is finished, etc.  It does not need to be intrusive.  Four Seasons don't have this problem in such a pervasive way it's sport for people.  Many of the issues and questions identified on this board are a result of a set it and forget it Retreat that requires guests to fight for themselves.     

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 2

Yes on Beyond September the retreat class was full and on sea days in particular, and most afternoons there could be an issue with seating on the pool deck. The crew were very happy to move chairs for you into sun or shade, but there were chair hogs with those clips / pegs out in force. There were little signs to say dont leave for more than 45 minutes but not sure if it was applied.

There were the entitled few who made a huge fuss about not being able to find chairs in the spot they wanted!!

It felt that retreat wasnt the correct name for the area when it was busy, although crew couldnt be faulted for service and attention.

Maybe some have expectations which are way too high!!

Another thing I noticed on the SunDeck was guests taking all their belongings but leaving the towels nicely tucked in on the lounger.  Unfortunately this gave the appearance the lounger was in use.  
I have never figured out why when someone leaves the pool area they don’t take their towels and put them in the container for used towels.  At a minimum they could at least wad them up so it is obvious to the pool attendant that they can take them away.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Cap_D said:

In Retreat there are also pool hogs.

To mitigate againat chair hogs, and make sure all needs are met it would help if there was someone on the Retreat deck that was clearly responsible for the guest experience.  All expensive resorts have people in those roles.  Lots of talk about butlers and concierges, but ultimately someone should clearly be in charge of the guest experience, monitor guests for attention to their needs, make sure other staff are actually doing their roles, etc. Not split into various functions. Sure there are people walking around in uniforms, department heads by function, etc., but on Edge it was difficult to discern what was really on top of things other than the maitre'd in Luminae.  Lots of being asked can I get you anything, but really not clear if the person is able to follow through.  The concierges seem to be busy showing paper menus to people who can't use the app, and booking future cruises.  Then there are drink attendants that are only that, not even food servers   no wonder there is a chair hog issue.  We were left to wonder who is actually owning the current cruise experience.  Chair hogs wouldn't exist if there was someone going around periodically and socializing the experience, asking if the hog is finished, etc.  It does not need to be intrusive.  Four Seasons don't have this problem in such a pervasive way it's sport for people.  Many of the issues and questions identified on this board are a result of a set it and forget it Retreat that requires guests to fight for themselves.     

This is unsettling. 

19 minutes ago, Tony UK said:

Yes on Beyond September the retreat class was full and on sea days in particular, and most afternoons there could be an issue with seating on the pool deck. The crew were very happy to move chairs for you into sun or shade, but there were chair hogs with those clips / pegs out in force. There were little signs to say dont leave for more than 45 minutes but not sure if it was applied.

There were the entitled few who made a huge fuss about not being able to find chairs in the spot they wanted!!

It felt that retreat wasnt the correct name for the area when it was busy, although crew couldnt be faulted for service and attention.

Maybe some have expectations which are way too high!!

When manners and respect are lost to us...

I am dreading this consideration of Celebrity. 

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

It’s going to happen on every line.

I don't fault the cruise lines, I fault the demographic that believes the behavior to be acceptable.

Should not need staff to babysit etiquette. 

17 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

So on Celebrity, the chair hogs might employ more ingenuity. Got it.

Very disrespectful, the chair hogs.

Does Celebrity police the pool areas, at least, especially the Retreat?

Nope!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cw2go said:

Bottom line unless we sail on a private yacht, we will have to deal with the good, the bad and the ugly.

People will be people, regardless of what stateroom category is booked. 

Sad that we (society in general) don't hold others accountable for when they infringe on what others equally pay.

The tragedy of the commons.

2 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

I don't fault the cruise lines, I fault the demographic that believes the behavior to be acceptable.

Should not need staff to babysit etiquette. 

Agreed--but, based on the comments here (and my own experiences) I think we can all agree that this selfish behavior cuts across all demographics.  In fact I think it may even be worse in the Retreat, where some have a greater sense of entitlement.  

The last time we encountered this (April on the Edge) we waited 2hrs for people to sit in their 'reserved' chairs, and when they didn't, we neatly moved their things to a different set of chairs.  2-3hrs later when they eventually came they looked perturbed but at least had the common decency to not make a scene. Hard to justify reserving 4 loungers on a fully booked cruise when you're not there for 5hrs.  

As an aside, we didn't complain when the people on the other side of us (who were already on their third drink by 10:30am) turned on a boom box--not loudly, but loud enough. That was surprising in this age of high quality air buds (oh, and common decency, too). 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Agreed--but, based on the comments here (and my own experiences) I think we can all agree that this selfish behavior cuts across all demographics.  In fact I think it may even be worse in the Retreat, where some have a greater sense of entitlement.  

The last time we encountered this (April on the Edge) we waited 2hrs for people to sit in their 'reserved' chairs, and when they didn't, we neatly moved their things to a different set of chairs.  2-3hrs later when they eventually came they looked perturbed but at least had the common decency to not make a scene. Hard to justify reserving 4 loungers on a fully booked cruise when you're not there for 5hrs.  

As an aside, we didn't complain when the people on the other side of us (who were already on their third drink by 10:30am) turned on a boom box--not loudly, but loud enough. That was surprising in this age of high quality air buds (oh, and common decency, too). 

I'd make a comment to anyone who disrespects the common area. No qualms about it.

Otherwise, we continue insanity of the tragedy of the commons.