Unpopular Opinion: Formal Night Lobster Isn't That Good

workfromship

5 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Do we realize how Blessed we are? Do you know how many people would love to be able to first Cruise then second be able to order a free Lobster meal? I will never complain about anything that I am Blessed with! Always pay it forward!

Just my $.02

Just because we are blessed to be able to go on a vacation does not mean we give up the right to be wise with our dollars and scrutinize every purchase, including that vacation. And the lobster is not free, it is paid for in the cruise fare.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2022 at 2:45 PM, Ohio Bucki said:

If you order lobster in the main dining room from the "Steakhouse Selection" part of the menu, is the lobster any different and/or bigger than the regular lobster you can order on formal night?

On 9/27/2022 at 2:53 PM, Bostwick girl said:

No, it’s the same.

No it is not the same.  The lobsters in the steakhouse are bona fide, delicious lobsters.  The juvenile ones in MDR are some kind of anomaly because they look like Maine lobsters (shell red when cooked) but they don't taste like them.  They still taste pretty good, but if you had your tastebuds set for amazing lobster taste you will be disappointed.  If you pay the $23? upcharge (used to be $20) you get the lobster they serve in the steakhouse.  I have done it three times to put the steakhouse selection lobster on the plate next to the MDR juvenile mystery lobster to oohs and ahhs.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 3:07 PM, nwcruiselover said:

The lobster you order in the MDR from the Steakhouse Selection is a Maine Lobster tail, not the rock lobster that is served on elegant night.  There is no comparison.  It’s much bigger and tastier. The Steakhouse lobster tail is well worth the upcharge.

Unless juvenile rock lobster's shells turn bright red like a Maine lobster, I don't think that's correct.  Rock lobster is tougher than Maine lobster, and doesn't taste like Maine lobster.  When I eat the juvenile mystery lobsters in MDR (without paying the steakhouse selections upcharge) the lobster shell is bright red and the taste and texture are more similar to Maine than rock.  Plus rock retains it's brownish/orangish color with the white dots.  The itty-bitty mystery tails are bright red.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Unless juvenile rock lobster's shells turn bright red like a Maine lobster, I don't think that's correct.  Rock lobster is tougher than Maine lobster, and doesn't taste like Maine lobster.  When I eat the juvenile mystery lobsters in MDR (without paying the steakhouse selections upcharge) the lobster shell is bright red and the taste and texture are more similar to Maine than rock.  Plus rock retains it's brownish/orangish color with the white dots.  The itty-bitty mystery tails are bright red.

8 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Do we realize how Blessed we are? Do you know how many people would love to be able to first Cruise then second be able to order a free Lobster meal? I will never complain about anything that I am Blessed with! Always pay it forward!

Just my $.02

Well said my friend! Being thankful and appreciatory is next to godliness! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Well said my friend! Being thankful and appreciatory is next to godliness! 

I thought that was cleanliness... but then I'm getting old and find it hard to keep these things straight.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

No it is not the same.  The lobsters in the steakhouse are bona fide, delicious lobsters.  The juvenile ones in MDR are some kind of anomaly because they look like Maine lobsters (shell red when cooked) but they don't taste like them.  They still taste pretty good, but if you had your tastebuds set for amazing lobster taste you will be disappointed.  If you pay the $23? upcharge (used to be $20) you get the lobster they serve in the steakhouse.  I have done it three times to put the steakhouse selection lobster on the plate next to the MDR juvenile mystery lobster to oohs and ahhs.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. I’ve had just as good lobster in the MDR on formal nights (not the up charge) as I have in the steakhouse, especially lately! Unfortunately the quality of the steakhouse has slipped a bit as the price goes up!

• Like 1

My intent, as always, is not to call out any particular individual on this site. If that is what my commentary appeared to be then I am asking that you please dial back your sensitivity meter.  My intention is to let you know my honest opinion and nothing more. I am not seeking popularity or any form of agreement.

I am blessed for everything that I don't own but that was given to me to be a good steward. I have  experienced faulty or less pleasing items that were purchased. I didn't complain because it was my choice to buy them. The company did not force me to make those purchases.

Our county is too hung up on feelings; how about just telling the truth and moving on!

My $.02    

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mz-s said:

Just because we are blessed to be able to go on a vacation does not mean we give up the right to be wise with our dollars and scrutinize every purchase, including that vacation. And the lobster is not free, it is paid for in the cruise fare.

I have been a faithful Carnival Cruise Nut for more than 2 decades. Trust me free is not always free!! In this case my meaning of free lobster was merely no extra charge for the dining room meal.

I try and listen much more than I speak; you learn a lot more following that method.      

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

My intent, as always, is not to call out any particular individual on this site. If that is what my commentary appeared to be then I am asking that you please dial back your sensitivity meter.  My intention is to let you know my honest opinion and nothing more. I am not seeking popularity or any form of agreement.

I am blessed for everything that I don't own but that was given to me to be a good steward. I have  experienced faulty or less pleasing items that were purchased. I didn't complain because it was my choice to buy them. The company did not force me to make those purchases.

Our county is too hung up on feelings; how about just telling the truth and moving on!

My $.02    

No, you didn't call out one particular individual on this site.  You called out every individual who ever had the audacity to complain about an aspect of a cruise.  And my "sensitivity meter" is just fine, thanks.🙄  I spoke up for myself (even though I haven't complained on this thread, I have certainly complained on this board) as well as for any others who are also offended by your holier-than-thou shaming of people for doing something that is perfectly appropriate in this forum.  You seem to have it all figured out how everyone should feel and act and think, not just on this forum, but apparently in our whole country.🤣  Thanks for the sage advice. 

The irony of all your posts together is quite amusing.

And I still don't believe you that you have never complained about any aspect of a purchased product.

Edited by ShakyBeef
extra word
  • Like 1

An in depth analysis of Cruise Critic's About us page and the definition of Review can lead us to a sense of what this site is intended to be.  I hope you don't mind if I share some insights I gathered from the information I discovered.

It seems, and bear with me on this, that reporting [sharing, if you will] our cruising experiences is what this ::checks notes:: Cruise Critic review site is all about.  We share our experiences, good and bad, so that perspective buyers can ::checks notes:: examine the reviews left by different users to see if they (the possible buyers) believe will they get value for their money.

This is where it gets complicated... If, instead of sharing our good and bad experiences, we share nothing but rather ::checks notes:: count our blessings because we've never had it so good, then we are actually undermining the purpose of this "review site."

A "review site" that doesn't report negatives but only reports positive reviews is known to most of us as ::checks notes:: an "advertisement" for the product.

Edited by The Greater Fool
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2022 at 4:18 PM, IntrepidFromDC said:

Yes, it was the same on Splendor in May 2022 times 2 on the plate served. Ridiculous. Splendor must have been used to serving their Aussie community garbage food throughout that ship, but rerouted it to America for a period including replacing Freedom at the last minute for the first Alaska itinerary of the year in 2022. Went to steakhouse 3 times in 8 day cruise, and each time, no matter what we ordered, it was MDR stuff, and those item thqat were not were skimpy raggy pieces of meat  like their lamb chops even. Their desserts were the best. Even the side were marginal on that vessel at steakhouse. Worst Carnival Steakhouse experiences ever...

On 10/1/2022 at 10:03 AM, ShakyBeef said:

"Data show the Gulf of Maine is rapidly warming, pushing lobsters farther north and into deeper waters, forcing lobstermen and researchers to grapple over exactly how long the boom times will last and whether they can be prolonged."

Jan 11, 2022  (Source: UPI.com)

You obviously missed the laughing smiley face at the end of my post. 

24 minutes ago, d12j28 said:

You obviously missed the laughing smiley face at the end of my post. 

I didn't miss it.  It seemed as if you were laughing at your own joke about going numb from the cold water, as if you couldn't believe the Maine water is getting warmer with it being as cold as you say it is - that the idea of the water warming was laughably preposterous.  That is what your laughing smiley face seemed to imply to me.  If I misconstrued your laughing smiley face, I guess that's a smiley-reading comprehension problem of mine.

2 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

I didn't miss it.  It seemed as if you were laughing at your own joke about going numb from the cold water, as if you couldn't believe the Maine water is getting warmer with it being as cold as you say it is - that the idea of the water warming was laughably preposterous.  That is what your laughing smiley face seemed to imply to me.  If I misconstrued your laughing smiley face, I guess that's a smiley-reading comprehension problem of mine.

You must be a blast at the comedy shows. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, d12j28 said:

You must be a blast at the comedy shows. 

As must you.  Whatever your joke was supposed to be was obviously so successful.  'Cause putting a laughing smiley at the end of a post obviously makes it funny.🙄

Edited by ShakyBeef
dropped word

16 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

An in depth analysis of Cruise Critic's About us page and the definition of Review can lead us to a sense of what this site is intended to be.  I hope you don't mind if I share some insights I gathered from the information I discovered.

It seems, and bear with me on this, that reporting [sharing, if you will] our cruising experiences is what this ::checks notes:: Cruise Critic review site is all about.  We share our experiences, good and bad, so that perspective buyers can ::checks notes:: examine the reviews left by different users to see if they (the possible buyers) believe will they get value for their money.

This is where it gets complicated... If, instead of sharing our good and bad experiences, we share nothing but rather ::checks notes:: count our blessings because we've never had it so good, then we are actually undermining the purpose of this "review site."

A "review site" that doesn't report negatives but only reports positive reviews is known to most of us as ::checks notes:: an "advertisement" for the product.

and, of course, a review that only reports negatives might be a shill for the competition.

There is a review section for in depth reviews https://www.cruisecritic.com/cruise-ships/ that some might find useful. Just an observation.

21 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

As must you.  Whatever your joke was supposed to be was obviously so successful.  'Cause putting a laughing smiley at the end of a post obviously makes it funny.🙄

I know, it was a tough one to understand. Not very funny when someone has to explain it. Hopefully the person I quoted ( @cruisingguy007) understood it to be a joke.

16 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

I wouldn't count on it.  Since cruisingguy007 liked my post in response to your "joke," but didn't laugh at your "joke".  Not that responses on CC are a flawless indicator, but... maybe you're the only one here who got the point of or appreciated your "joke"?  But hey, as your smiley indicated, at least you crack you up.  I guess I'll just have to remain ignorant of your sparkling sense of humour.

And that's all fine. Please feel free to carry on with your "serious" Maine ocean water is warming and the impact on lobster discussion. If either of you ever come to Maine I'd be happy to take you to a Maine beach. Lobster on me after.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, d12j28 said:

I know, it was a tough one to understand. Not very funny when someone has to explain it. Hopefully the person I quoted ( @cruisingguy007) understood it to be a joke.

In my experience the longer the explanation the funnier the joke.  I have to explain a lot of my jokes and people laughed and laughed.  Honest.

• Haha 2