Alaska cruisetour

Sugar&Buddy

I am trying to plan an Alaska cruisetour 7 days at sea & 2-3 days land.  I am overwhelmed at the information out there.  What cruise lines offer that package?  Also what ports are the best to visit?  We would be a somewhat active group and enjoy good onboard evening entertainment.

Holland America and Princess are the go-to lines for AK cruise-tours, having their own Denali lodges for the shore part. I have not done the cruisetour, as we did self-drive after our first Alaska (northbound) cruise. I am partial to HAL for cruises, but the evening entertainment might be seen to be lacking (!), however I don't know how Princess is for evening shows either. My Princess AK cruise was cancelled by the pandemic!

The "regular" stops for one-way AK tours are Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. Ketchikan's draw is native culture and totems. Juneau has guaranteed whale watching. Skagway is good for the rail trips and goldrush history. Sitka is a very nice, less developed port, but you usually have to give up Skagway! I recommend Fortress of the Bear and the small boat trip to view rafts of otters (also saw whales and other wildlife on shore).

• Like 2

I just completed the HAL cruise tour with Denali and the Yukon.  They did an absolutely outstanding job. If I go again I would definitely stay at the Holland America or Princess property.  I am not sure but they may be open to independent travelers, at least to those who sailed with HAL.  If budget is not an issue just do the HAL trip with the train to Denali then after the tour rent the car to tour the coast focusing on the Kenai Peninsula

about Denali, be aware that the interior of the park past the 15 mile mark must be toured on a park concession bus.  The park is also a wilderness area so except by the visitor center there is not a lot off places to see except from the road side or with a coveted back country pass.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

We did a Princess land tour from Fairbanks to Kenai and Whittier. We feel we got a great view of Alaska’s interior that you don’t receive with just the cruise. Kenai with a fjords tour is highly recommended. Then relax on the cruise after the land tour!

2-3 days is not much  time since distances are vast.  You might skip Denali and spend your time in the Seward/Anchorage/Turnagain Arm area.  Kenai Fjords, Exit Glacier, Seavy sled dog tour, Wildlife Conservation Center, Sealife center, Girdwood (Alyeska).  Look online at what this area has to offer.

I returned from a 20 day trip on September 16th. I added some customized days to Holland America’s Triple Denali. 

I spent 2 days on the Kenai peninsula. 
I did a Glacier tour out of Whittier that involved a day with round trip from Anchorage. 
Then Holland America’s tour/cruise. Three nights in Denali.  This includes a four hour trip from Anchorage to Denali. 
The cruise was 7 nights. It included Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and finally sailing the Inside package to Vancouver. Then another couple of customized days there, and finally a few customized days in Seattle.

Travel times need to be factored in, so once you know how much time you can devote to the trip, that will help you figure out what you can realistically do. 

If interested, I can give you links to the travelogue I have been doing. I just have one more day to go, I think. We only had two hiccups on our entire trip. And neither of them were more than an inconvenience. 

Ann

NCL also offers cruisetours from 2-14 days (all have 7 day cruises to/from Seward.) I am not sure what lodging they use in Denali. i am taking one of their 14 day cruisetours next year. Land portion starting in Fairbanks and ending in Homer then to Seward to board the ship. NCL will be running two ships between Vancouver BC and Seward. 

Doing a Princess cruisetour planned for June 2023.  5 day land tour and 7 day cruise.  Starts in Fairbanks, Denali Lodge, Mt. McKinley Lodge, Anchorage, and then Whittier to the port.  Cruise is Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, and Ketchikan.  Heading 3 days earlier to spend a few more days in Fairbanks.  Plenty of excursions and activities scheduled, some with the tour and some on my own.  It truly is a great way to see Alaska!

Might I suggest that you do an independent land tour and then board a southbound cruise in either Whittier or Seward?  DIYing is pretty easy to do.   Whether you DIY or go on a cruise tour, you travel the same roads/routes.  I just prefer to do it at my own pace--it's nice to stop for a quick hike or wildlife sighting.

With just two days, I would prioritize what is it you want to do in Alaska.   Wildlife?  Glaciers?  Fishing?  Hiking?  Scenery? Trains?  Alaska is HUGE and the distances between places is vast!  You will not be able to see it all in two days.  If a friend/family member asked me to plan a three day trip to Alaska for them prior to a cruise,  I would suggest spending time on the Kenai Peninsula.  Take the train to Seward, go on a Kenai fjords wildlife/glacier tour, visit Exit Glacier, kayak in Renaissance Bay, and  visit a sled dog kennel before boarding a cruise.

I've cruised on NCL, HAL, Disney and Princess in Alaska--I would recommend either Princess or Holland America for an Alaskan cruise.  The enrichment programs onboard are outstanding--naturalists, puppies on board, special food and drink, enrichment lectures to name a few.  I've cruised on NCL, HAL, Disney and Princess in Alaska.  Take a southbound cruise on a ship that's small enough to cruise the inside passage to Vancouver.  The scenery is spectacular!

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 7:45 PM, cat shepard said:

I returned from a 20 day trip on September 16th. I added some customized days to Holland America’s Triple Denali. 

I spent 2 days on the Kenai peninsula. 
I did a Glacier tour out of Whittier that involved a day with round trip from Anchorage. 
Then Holland America’s tour/cruise. Three nights in Denali.  This includes a four hour trip from Anchorage to Denali. 
The cruise was 7 nights. It included Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and finally sailing the Inside package to Vancouver. Then another couple of customized days there, and finally a few customized days in Seattle.

Travel times need to be factored in, so once you know how much time you can devote to the trip, that will help you figure out what you can realistically do. 

If interested, I can give you links to the travelogue I have been doing. I just have one more day to go, I think. We only had two hiccups on our entire trip. And neither of them were more than an inconvenience. 

Ann

I would be interested in your opinion of the kenai fjords tour and 26 glacier cruise—is it too much to do both at the expense of portage glacier/hike or day trip to talkeetna?  (Only have 2.5 days after disembarking ship). Thanks. 

1 hour ago, wrldtrvllr said:

I would be interested in your opinion of the kenai fjords tour and 26 glacier cruise—is it too much to do both at the expense of portage glacier/hike or day trip to talkeetna?  (Only have 2.5 days after disembarking ship). Thanks. 

The Kenai Fjords trip is one of my favorite tours. Wildlife, marine life, raptors, glaciers, surreal rock formations. But this was the 8.5 hour tour. If you do one of the shorter tours, I am not certain what gets cut. 

Out of fairness, it was really foggy on the 26 glacier cruise, so we missed College Fjord with its 10 glaciers.  

Both Captains got us close to a glacier. Both provided nice lunches.  

But Talkeetna gives you a chance to see Denali. If I had your choices, I would do the  6.5:hour Kenai Fjords tour and Talkeetna. Assuming the transportation options work. 

Enjoy whatever you end up doing. 

On 10/9/2022 at 3:38 PM, wrldtrvllr said:

As someone who lives in Alaska we have been to Seward a number of times.  Seward is not as touristy as a number of the SE communities visited by cruise ships and is an area Alaskans go for recreation. 

My favorite Kenai Fjords vendor is Major Marine.  The owner of Major Marine also owns the Harbor 360 hotel, so be aware that packages combing the hotel stay and excursion may be available.  Pre-covid they also frequently had cyber sales around Thanksgiving.

The shorter (ie 3 hour) excursions don't leave Resurrection Bay.  We do the longest we can.  Major Marine's 8.5 hour goes up Northwestern Fjord, and also visits Anchor and Ogive glaciers.  The 7.5 hour tour goes to Colgate and Aialik glaciers.  I don't have a preference of the 7.5 versus 8.5 hour trips.

I am curious as to why you want to do in Talkeetna.  If you want to say you saw Denali  there are pullouts north of Mary's McKinley View Lodge (mile 134 of the Parks Highway).

With 2.5 days I would consider a visit to Homer.  Use google to find their visitor's bureau website.

On 10/9/2022 at 5:49 PM, cat shepard said:

The Kenai Fjords trip is one of my favorite tours. Wildlife, marine life, raptors, glaciers, surreal rock formations. But this was the 8.5 hour tour. If you do one of the shorter tours, I am not certain what gets cut. 

Out of fairness, it was really foggy on the 26 glacier cruise, so we missed College Fjord with its 10 glaciers.  

Both Captains got us close to a glacier. Both provided nice lunches.  

But Talkeetna gives you a chance to see Denali. If I had your choices, I would do the  6.5:hour Kenai Fjords tour and Talkeetna. Assuming the transportation options work. 

Enjoy whatever you end up doing. 

See Sugar&Buddy request above

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, kayehall said:

Where and who offers the Kenai Fords tour?

Through the cruise line Holland offers it as a pre cruise option, I am sure others do too.  You can also book a tour through the shore excursion agencies or even a local outfit in Anchorage 

Edited by Mary229