WARNING - AARP Gift Cards

groundloop

I went online to purchase discounted Carnival gift cards from AARP a bit over a month ago, I've never had a problem with these before.  This time the transaction didn't go through even though my credit card was charged.  

I talked to a representative at AARP Rewards and was told the problem occurred because I was using an ad-blocker with my browser (ok, maybe true but why didn't their website warn me to disable ad blockers before making a purchase?).  They promised to refund my credit card within 5 days, so far it hasn't happened and I'm currently sitting on hold waiting to speak to them again about this.

I'm questioning whether the hassle of correcting their error was worth saving a little bit on a few gift cards.  

I went online to purchase discounted Carnival gift cards from AARP a bit over a month ago, I've never had a problem with these before.  This time the transaction didn't go through even though my credit card was charged.  

Interesting, did you get the email confirmation they send out when you purchase or is that how you figured out it did not go through?     

I purchased 5 Princess gift cards around the end of August through AARP and never disabled my ad blocker.  It went through without any problems.  I did one at a time and got the email with the edoc # immediately after.  If there was a problem with the first one I would not have purchased any more until I found out what the problem was.

Hope you resolve this.  It was well worth the savings of $250.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Drazil65 said:

Interesting, did you get the email confirmation they send out when you purchase or is that how you figured out it did not go through?     

Never got an email confirmation, normally they come through very quickly.

6 minutes ago, 64funwhisper said:

I bought 5 and was going to wait till I got on the ship to load to my account because of the trouble people are having with them do you think I should load them to cruise cash now to see if mine is going to have a problem ??? 

I wouldn't do 'cruise cash' because that's a use it or lose it proposition.  You can check your gift card balance here:  https://carnival.ourgiftcards.com/checkbalance  

So long as the proper amount is confirmed you're fine.

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, groundloop said:

I talked to a representative at AARP Rewards and was told the problem occurred because I was using an ad-blocker with my browser (ok, maybe true but why didn't their website warn me to disable ad blockers before making a purchase?).  They promised to refund my credit card within 5 days, so far it hasn't happened and I'm currently sitting on hold waiting to speak to them again about this.

I'm questioning whether the hassle of correcting their error was worth saving a little bit on a few gift cards.  

When you purchased them is about the time their website started having problems with purchases.  You haven't been able to make purchases for the last 3 weeks or more.  They just made up a reason that wasn't the truth. 

If you look at their site now,  they have a notice that AARP Rewards checkout is having problems and unavailable for purchases.  People are complaining on their forum about all the IT problems they are having.  I wouldn't trust giving them any of my money for a card when it comes back up.  Every month they have the same problems with the Extra Credit activities.  It takes them a few hours to get it corrected and then the next month they have the same problems all over again. Totally imcompetent IT!!!

OP...have you initiated a dispute with the card company you used to make the purchase?  Its obvious you were charged and have the proof.  There are times when going that route will resolve faster than going to through the place that did not provide the goods/service.  Your card company will flat out ask them for the proof that they sent out the email with the reward info for you to use.  When they cannot provide it, the card company will handle it and should credit back your card for the amount you were charged.  

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 2

I am also having an ongoing issue with the Rewards site ,I  ordered 3 $500 Carnival gift cards on Sept 16 ,2022 ,we also never got the confirmation email but are card was charged , we still have not gotten our cards or refund , all we are getting is promises . No more gift cards for us , not worth the aggravation

On 10/3/2022 at 1:57 PM, 64funwhisper said:

I bought 5 and was going to wait till I got on the ship to load to my account because of the trouble people are having with them do you think I should load them to cruise cash now to see if mine is going to have a problem ??? 

I suggest you download them before you leave and , if you have an Apple phone, save them to your Wallet app. If not Apple phone, take a screenshot and save it in your photo album.

I think I finally understand why one might buy Cruise Cash with Carnival Gift cards.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is the convenience of having the Cruise Cash applied to your account without a trip to Guest Services or the quirky kiosk.

Makes sense.  For me, though, I prowl around the ship late at night, so the Guest Services line is usually non-existent, and the ladies working the desk usually flirt with me (must be a boring job).  Also, on my last cruise the kiosk actually worked for me (first time ever).  The kiosk doesn't flirt, she's just a big tease.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 10/3/2022 at 7:40 PM, Drazil65 said:

OP...have you initiated a dispute with the card company you used to make the purchase?  Its obvious you were charged and have the proof.  There are times when going that route will resolve faster than going to through the place that did not provide the goods/service.  Your card company will flat out ask them for the proof that they sent out the email with the reward info for you to use.  When they cannot provide it, the card company will handle it and should credit back your card for the amount you were charged.  

I talked to my credit card company shortly after this mess started, they require you to contact the merchant and at least attempt to resolve it with them.  

Nearly three weeks later AARP Rewards issued a credit to my card, but they screwed that up also.  Someone mistakenly issued the credit twice, and then attempted to fix that by putting a charge on my card but for some reason did that twice as well..... WITH THE NET RESULT BEING THAT I'M STILL OUT $3150.  At the same time they also told my credit card company that they'd issued a refund so the card company thought all was well.  And to make matters worse my credit card company had sent forms through the mail for me to fill out but I was on a cruise so never saw those until too late.

I'll eventually get this straightened out, but I'm at the point where I'm kicking myself in the ass for being cheap and trying to save a few dollars with discounted gift cards.

• 3 weeks later...

Yikes groundloop 😲...thanks for the heads up! I purchased AARP Carnival gift cards to pay for our cruise just prior to COVID. I had no problems, not even during the two cancellations we had. (We are set to sail March 4, 2023.) With that being said, I was going to purchase a another 1 or 2 for spending on the ship! I too, think I will just forgo the small savings to avoid the possible huge headache!! I hope you get it all worked out soon!

I purchased two $100 gift cards. I didn't receive a confirmation for the first one, but my credit card was charged. I checked my spam filter and the confirmation was there. I added the AARP email address to my contacts, and ordered a second gift card. Once again the confirmation went to my spam folder. I used one gift card toward my internet. I used the second one as cruise cash. I don't drink enough to buy a package, so this will cover the few drinks I will have here and there. I've also printed out all my receipts in case there is an issue. 

• 9 months later...
On 10/4/2022 at 3:02 PM, tpcwags said:

if you have an Apple phone, save them to your Wallet app

How do you do this, I cannot figure out where to even see the gift cards?

Edited by Aussie65