Mobility scooter on board "parking"

katstoy

16 minutes ago, hapytobehr said:

On our last cruise on Celebration, there were 2 scooters on our floor. Every night they were left near the elevators, but on the side before you walk into the hallways where the cabins were.

Yes I've seen them in that area as well on several of my cruises. It's one of those things that's going to take somebody getting hurt or a scooter getting damaged before the rule is actually enforced I suppose.

• Like 1

IMO, you would have to be an idiot to intentionally ignore any rule that says that you can be denied boarding or put off of the ship if you do.

Rules may not be applied consistently, but that doesn't guarantee that they won't apply them to you.  

• Like 7

On one cruise I was waiting in the Guest Services line and the person in front of me was frantic because of this exact issue.  A scooter rental company had assured he she would be allowed to leave the scooter in the hallway if it didn’t fit into the room.  When she went to board she was told she couldn’t take the scooter on because it was a full-sized, non-folding one and wouldn’t fit in the doorway of a non-accessible cabin.  I don’t know how this was resolved, but she clogged up the Diamond/Platinum guest services line for a long time and they finally took her back into some back room. This isn’t the way to begin a cruise. I’d advise either finding a folding version or an accessible cabin.  Just my 2 cents.

Edited by nwcruiselover
  • Like 8

Personally I would go with Carnival's policy on this and look for a smaller scooter, another option (if there is one), or an accessible cabin.

I know you said you booked your particular cabin for certain reasons, and I can respect that, but with your personal circumstances changing, you may have to compromise with yourself on this one. Otherwise, you risk beginning your cruise on a bad note, or ruining your entire trip.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, RenoNanaOz said:

Children should be supervised. Unattended children are more of a nuisance than a parked scooter. 🙄

I agree children should be supervised. I'm sure you agree scooters should be in the stateroom.

Everybody wins.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

None of these issues with kids or laundry carts matters one iota.  What matters, and is non-negotiable if 'caught', are the emergency procedures that are put in place for each ship.  And I'm quite confident those emergency procedures overseen by the regulatory authorities dictate that large obstructions like scooters SHALL NOT be 'parked' in the hallways adjacent to passenger cabins.  This is in the same category as one shall not be allowed onboard with a firearm. No reasonable person fails to understand these necessarily inflexible safety requirements. This isn't about room service trays inside or outside one's door.

I read with interest earlier about that pax who was pleading his/her case at Guest Services.  In the back room I'm quite confident that their choice was either to leave the scooter behind (and not have any arrangements to properly store it if they owned it) or to exit the ship. That scooter wasn't coming on board. Period. There's a reason the max dimensions are clearly articulated to the hundredth of CM. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, mz-s said:

I agree children should be supervised. I'm sure you agree scooters should be in the stateroom.

Everybody wins.

I’m sure you agree it’s for carnival to enforce, not us. I have no issue with them up against a wall not interfering with anyone or anything. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RenoNanaOz said:

I’m sure you agree it’s for carnival to enforce, not us. I have no issue with them up against a wall not interfering with anyone or anything. 

I do agree with you. I don't get involved in things that aren't my business.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2022 at 6:30 PM, katstoy said:

Great idea!  Now I need to think of something to attach.  A pinwheel maybe so I can be entertained as I move along perhaps.  Something that won't be taken, however.

Maybe make a few laminated or paper signs with last name or cutesy way saying this is mine- put holes in corners ahead of time, and bring a pile of zip ties to attach signs somehow. I have seen that done at Disney for strollers on handles,baskets etc. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 12:45 PM, staceyglow said:

For all you know, that person may have just popped in the room for a bit and wasn't intending to keep it out there permanently. 

Not from what I saw on the Horizon.   There were at least three scooters parked outside rooms near ours, but this was in a wide area in the back by a corner, almost like a mini-lobby.   That cruise had a veterans' group as a partial charter, and I have no doubt Carnival made some exceptions for them.   Their scooters weren't blocking the narrow hallway and were parked out of the way. 

6 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Calling Guest Services works.  

While I agree that calling Guest Services to tattle on someone who parked their scooter in the hallway is a valid action, it's not an issue I would clutch my pearls over, unless the scooter's placement was a clear hazard to normal movement in the hallway.  

If it was blocking service carts or maintenance equipment, then the affected crew personnel could (and should) contact GS for resolution.  (Or, y'know, ask the folks in the cabin if they can please move it inside.)   

Edited by Pellaz
Clarification
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Not from what I saw on the Horizon.   There were at least three scooters parked outside rooms near ours, but this was in a wide area in the back by a corner, almost like a mini-lobby.   That cruise had a veterans' group as a partial charter, and I have no doubt Carnival made some exceptions for them.   Their scooters weren't blocking the narrow hallway and were parked out of the way. 

While I agree that calling Guest Services to tattle on someone who parked their scooter in the hallway is a valid action, it's not an issue I would clutch my pearls over, unless the scooter's placement was a clear hazard to normal movement in the hallway.  

If it was blocking service carts or maintenance equipment, then the affected crew personnel could (and should) contact GS for resolution.  (Or, y'know, ask the folks in the cabin if they can please move it inside.)   

The photo I took was overnight parking and was impossible for another EVC user and housekeeping carts to pass.  Can't exact roll them out of the way. This was the Mardi Gras where having an accessible cabin is needed if you have a EVC.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BonnieH said:

Thank you to those who provided non-snarky, non-rude and/or non-judgmental comments. We are looking into other options besides moving to a fully handicapped accessible room.

Well it seems to me that you had your mind made up that you are going to park the scooter outside the room and wanted people to tell you that was OK.

• Like 5