Is a Yellow fever certificate required? '

seaquay

• seaquay changed the title to Is a Yellow fever certificate required? '
7 minutes ago, Mimiya11 said:

Just went on MVJ to see if there are any updates on the travel requirement section. 

We also go on the Panama Canal/Central America cruise in March and see no requirements (perhaps yet) for Honduras.   

I don’t think there is a problem with any ports before Panama. I checked on the CDC website and I am curious if we will have a problem in Jamaica…

Just now, Iloveketo said:

I don’t think there is a problem with any ports before Panama. I checked on the CDC website and I am curious if we will have a problem in Jamaica…

When do you cruise?   I didn't see Jamaica on the list either but will take a look at the CDC website too.  Since we go in March, I suspect a lot can happen by then.  

1 minute ago, Mimiya11 said:

When do you cruise?   I didn't see Jamaica on the list either but will take a look at the CDC website too.  Since we go in March, I suspect a lot can happen by then.  

We are doing the Panama Canal and Central America cruise leaving Fort Lauderdale on January 4 - 18. 

• Like 1

Just found this on the Jamaican high commission in london’s website so hopefully we are classed as staying for less than 12 hours

Yellow Fever Entry Requirement 

The Ministry of Health advises that:

1. Only individuals travelling from countries with risk of Yellow fever transmission, as listed on the current World Health Organization (WHO) International Travel and Health website, are required to provide proof of vaccination for entry into Jamaica.
  2. Persons transiting through countries with risk of Yellow fever transmission, as listed on the current World Health Organization (WHO) International Travel and Health website, will not be required to provide proof of vaccination if stay is for 12 hours or less.

Please refer to the updated WHO link for countries with risk of yellow fever transmission and countries requiring yellow fever vaccination at:  http://www.who.int/ith/en/index.html

• Thanks 1

We got an email from Viking saying that the Yellow Fever vaccine is required by Honduras if traveling from Panama to Honduras.  This is the case for our cruise.  So far everything I've read shows that YF is not endemic throughout Panama.  I assume that Viking has confirmed the requirement, so plan to get the vaccine unless we learn otherwise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vegasjandk said:

We got an email from Viking saying that the Yellow Fever vaccine is required by Honduras if traveling from Panama to Honduras.  This is the case for our cruise.  So far everything I've read shows that YF is not endemic throughout Panama.  I assume that Viking has confirmed the requirement, so plan to get the vaccine unless we learn otherwise.

https://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/maps/south_america.html
We hope to get it for our Panama Canal and Central American cruise in January (having trouble getting an appointment at Passport Health).

We also plan to book a cruise from Chile to Barcelona for February/March of 2024. So, since South America and Africa are high risk why not get it now. 

Do speak with your doctor prior to getting the YF vaccine. Depending on your age and/or health status, there can be contraindications for taking it. The option (that has existed for many years) is a physician certification that the risks outweigh the benefits - which we found was accepted by the cruise lines and most countries when we sailed to SA years ago.

As @Iloveketo's map indicates, Brazil was, and continues to be the highest risk area for contracting the disease. Less so in the other indicated countries. 🍺🥌

• Like 2

Received email from Viking 10/7 that yellow fever vaccine is required since our cruise starts in Panama then ports in Honduras. Why on earth would Viking wait this late to inform us of this requirement? Per the CDC, this has been in place for quite a while.

My husband & I do not qualify for this vaccine due to age & health. Will the waiver from our doctor allow us to disembark? I can't tell from Viking's email.

Has anyone experienced this on a previous cruise?

Thanks

9 hours ago, Moosers Mom said:

Received email from Viking 10/7 that yellow fever vaccine is required since our cruise starts in Panama then ports in Honduras. Why on earth would Viking wait this late to inform us of this requirement? Per the CDC, this has been in place for quite a while.

My husband & I do not qualify for this vaccine due to age & health. Will the waiver from our doctor allow us to disembark? I can't tell from Viking's email.

Has anyone experienced this on a previous cruise?

Thanks

We travelled to Africa and Brazil a few years ago with a Yellow Fever waiver.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Do speak with your doctor prior to getting the YF vaccine. Depending on your age and/or health status, there can be contraindications for taking it. The option (that has existed for many years) is a physician certification that the risks outweigh the benefits - which we found was accepted by the cruise lines and most countries when we sailed to SA years ago.

As @Iloveketo's map indicates, Brazil was, and continues to be the highest risk area for contracting the disease. Less so in the other indicated countries. 🍺🥌

Is the waiver a special form or does a letter from your physician suffice?  If a form, where does one get this?

I just got off the phone with Aurea at Viking. You can embark the boat in Panama without the waiver, but even with a waiver, you can not disembark in Honduras. Only passengers with the vaccine can disembark in Roatan. She really could not explain to me why you need a waiver if it will not let you

off the ship.

Evidently, you do not want to take this cruise when it sails from Panama to Ft Lauderdale; only when it sails from Ft Lauderdale to Panama. You can disembark in Honduras if you haven't visited an area that is considered high risk for yellow fever.

I would recommend that everyone contact Viking; I always get different answers when I speak with different customer service reps.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vegasjandk said:

Is the waiver a special form or does a letter from your physician suffice?  If a form, where does one get this?

Ours was a yellow card (which looked much like the then-current vaccine card - I suspect intentionally) which was signed off by the doctor at our Travel Clinic. I would expect the card/form to be different depending on jurisdictions - you may wish to call a travel clinic near you, or your doc.

@Moosers Mom, at the time when we sailed to SA, either the vax or a waiver was needed for embarkation itself. It was then up to the countries that required the proof to decide individually if pax could get off the ship in each. 🍺🥌

3 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Ours was a yellow card (which looked much like the then-current vaccine card - I suspect intentionally) which was signed off by the doctor at our Travel Clinic. I would expect the card/form to be different depending on jurisdictions - you may wish to call a travel clinic near you, or your doc.

Thanks for that info.  BTW, I have tried to call the Honduran Embassy in DC and several Consulates around the country.  The calls do not go through at any of the offices I've tried.  I guess we'll have to rely on info from Viking....

6 hours ago, vegasjandk said:

If through age of existing medical conditions, your doctor determines it is unsafe for you to receive the yellow fever vaccine, which is a live vaccine, then the doctor should write a letter.

Note - for many years, yellow fever vaccine only lasted 10-years, although now it is lifetime. Therefore, anyone who has had yellow fever at any time, should discuss with their doctor, if it is still valid. You would then need to find those records.

19 hours ago, Moosers Mom said:

Why on earth would Viking wait this late to inform us of this requirement? Per the CDC, this has been in place for quite a while.

The USA's CDC is not an International Health Organisation and has no jurisdiction, since Viking is a Norwegian company, with a Head Office in Switzerland.

As passengers, as outlined in the Terms & Conditions, it is our responsibility to know all the requirements prior to travel. Any info provided by the cruise lines is simply a reminder.

6 hours ago, Hubby1 said:

Funny how they "remind" you just days after the final payment is due.

My experience is that reminders are issued a set number of days before embarkation regardless of when the final payment is due. If the reminder changes your mind, you can still get a refund up to 4 months before embarkation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hubby1 said:

Funny how they "remind" you just days after the final payment is due.

I'll suggest it is irrelevant when they send the reminders, as surely you completed due diligence and researched all the requirements prior to making the full payment.

Since PIF is probably well before the cancellation fees cut in (120 days for short cruises and 6 months for >35 days), you can still get all your money back, less the $100 pp or $1,000 pp.

10 hours ago, Hubby1 said:

Not to mention two sets of airline tickets and couple of night in hotel in Panama City--Refundable recovery unknown.

This is where it pays to be an informed consumer.

Personally, I don't book anything without reading and understanding the cancellation terms. If the financial risk is higher than our Visa travel insurance coverage, I purchase separate travel insurance.

Hi All! Booked on a west Africa cruise next year on Azamara. Was planning to get one traveller the yellow fever certificate with waiver. Because of the roll calls found out about denied boarding. Called up Azamara and found out, that it was official yesterday,  that we have to have the YF vaccination, as per the Ghana Port Authority, in order to embark on the cruise in Capetown or we will be denied boarding and loose all monies. There was no option to embark and remain on the ship for that port. Ghana website said vax had to be within 10 years. Though we know a lot has been written that they are good for life.  Someone from a similar itinerary did get confirmation from within Ghana that past 10 years is ok. But it would really helpful if they updated the Embassy website. Our only option is to cancel the cruise. 

Cilcianrts, what countries did you travel with your YF waiver in Africa? How did it go?

So, help me understand. You have to be YF vaxed to get into the country. Yet, those with waivers can still get in. Doesn't it defeat the point? And how does one travel throughout Africa - just hope that the border guard and country accept a waiver that day?

So far in a quick search I see there was an outbreak of YF in Ghana reported in 2021.

Heidi 13, learned a lot from your remarks thanks.

Vegas J and K, we still have not seen unofficial announcement from the company to us regarding this significant development. Also, they only made an official announcement they will help with visas on arrival in Aug or Sep - and the similar itinerary sales in a month.

Edited by SFtraveller