MSC Customer Service - Epic Failure

PAPercy

After enjoying a 7 day cruise on Divina, despite some health issues that arose during the trip (not MSC related at all), my good feelings towards MSC had dissappeared.  First, neither I nor my traveling companions next door received the final accounting statement from MSC.  Such is supposed to be delivered to each cabin overnight before disembarkation.  We, stupidly as it turns out, disembarked thinking that we would be able to get a copy from MSC once we got back home.  I have not been able to find a way to email MSC customer service and my traveling companions have had to make multiple calls, each of which ended with being provided another number to call.  The last customer service rep to who we reached suggested we contact our travel agent.  Why our travel agent would have our final onboard accounting statement from MSC is unknown.

Second, I left one piece of luggage at the terminal at disembarkation.  That night when i started to unpack I realized the error.  I called MSC the next day and was provided a link (over the phone starting with http:// !!!) to the Chargerback service that MSC uses for lost luggage.  I filled out the form and received confirmation from Chargerback that the form had been submitted.  That was October 10.  By last Sunday I had heard nothing so I emailed Chargerback customer service letting them know that I had heard nothing.  They replied saying that they were reaching out to MSC for a response.  As of today, still nothing.  In addition, I called Port Canaveral and have left messages with their facilities department and have not had a return call.  It's not that there should have been a problem locating the luggage, it had the MSC luggage tag on it for Luggage Group 5 with my name and address on it, all of which I have told Chargerback and Port Canaveral.  Still nothing.

Frustrated by their lack of response and overall poor customer service.

Sorry about your disappointment, however, as you indicated: you thought you could get a copy of your folio after you left.  As you can see, this is highly unlikely.  In fact in all of our sailings with MSC we have rarely, if ever, gotten a final statement.  As long as your credit card is attached and it clears the cruiseline is happy.  Yes, it's odd as on other lines there's a way to check your balance on the tv or at self-serve kiosks.  It is NOT easy on MSC during or after a sailing.

As far as lost luggage, it's not MSC's responsibility that you left it.  That is with the Port.  I just tried using that Chargerback app and that looks fairly unhelpful, unfortunately.  I would likely consider it gone for good.  😞

As frustrating as this situation sounds, and my comment is going to be, it really sounds like the responsibility lies with you on both counts.  In my experience, once you leave the ship all bets are off.  If you had questions about your folio those are best handled in a face-to-face format.  You step off the ship and 5K new passengers enter...you are history to them.  Keep a close eye on your cc statement and if you find something that looks fishy then I suppose you might be able to address it through your cc company.

I hate that about your luggage but as stated by @HipHipOnAShip it's likely gone for good.  The luggage and everything at the pier is generally handled by a private company.  Other than putting you in touch with them, there's not really much MSC can do.  Perhaps insurance will cover the loss?  Best of luck...I know it's frustrating.

• Like 1

Never denied that not getting the final statement or leaving my luggage was my fault.  The fact that MSC is not responsive is not my fault and is the sign of a poorly run company in my opinion particularly one that is in the hospitality business.

With respect to the final statement, it is absolutely on MSC to provide a copy to me when asked.

Definitely a hard lesson to learn.

We have always received a print out of our onboard expenses usually slipped under the door on the last night and if we hadn’t I’d be in line asking for a copy before leaving the ship. 
If we’re on a long cruise I go to guest services every 5 days for a printout. I’m super organized and I realize most people won’t do that but I’ve saved myself some headaches doing it this way. 

If there’s a “next time” for you you’ll be doing that I’m sure. 

We had one of our pieces of luggage taken by another passenger in the Boston terminal after our HAL cruise a while back. 
I’m not sure how anyone mistook it because it  had a huge lime green belt attached. 
I filed a claim and figured I’d never see it again.

3 weeks later my phone rang it was a woman from Connecticut telling me she had it. She claimed that she hadn’t even taken it out of her car since she got home 3 weeks prior. Huh?
Long story short I met her half way and got my stuff back.

She told me her husband just grabbed it and didn’t even notice the bright green belt that was wrapped around the middle. 🙄

I’m wondering if another passenger picked up your bag by mistake.  Also it really hasn’t been that long so give it another few days maybe the port will reach out to you. Good luck!

2 minutes ago, PAPercy said:

With respect to the final statement, it is absolutely on MSC to provide a copy to me when asked.

Yes, and I sincerely hope you are able to get this resolved.

A few years ago my DH picked up the wrong bag at the Delta terminal baggage claim.  He got it all the way home and started to unpack when he realized that he had someone else's dirty dungarees.  That also meant that Delta likely had his bag waiting at the terminal.  Now he had to go to the trouble of getting his bag from Delta as well as returning the wrong bag to the rightful owner.  Both were absolute PITA situations and Delta customer service was of little help.  We were disappointed in their attitude toward the customer.  Sometimes I think that a company can get so big that it looses sight of the individual.  My point is, it's not just MSC.  

We recently sailed on another major cruiseline; we did not get a final statement before disembarking, although we had asked for a printout in person, late on the last day.  It appears they are not being done much any more.  Maybe "to save trees"?

We did get an email statement when we got home.  It contained an error, but in spite of emails, calls from our TA, and our phone calls, the final answer was that nothing could be done, as our account is closed when we stepped off the ship.  Very frustrating.  Our error could easily have been corrected had we known while onboard.

• Like 1

Question? Divina doesn’t have access to the MSCforme app, right? Meraviglia does. So can I check my folio on the app on a Meraviglia cruise? It seems like lots of cruisers on the 10/13 cruise knew they had wrong charges before leaving.   

• Like 1

I recently returned from a 10 night cruise on Grandiosa.  Yes, I did receive a final folio statement, slipped under the door.  And yes, it did contain an error.  I was able to resolve it at customer service although it was a slow and painful process as they were understaffed.

• Like 1

My girlfriend booked a cruise with MSC and somehow was doublecharged for it.  Despite numerous calls to MSC she still has 2 charges for the same cruise (1 booking #).  Her credit card company first credited her with 1 charge and then billed her again, leaving her with 2 charges.  Found an email form for MSC Naples hoping to get some help on this.  Also tried emailing msc existing trip email several times...Didn't get anywhere with them either.  Any other suggestions for her?

3 hours ago, tbmrt said:

My girlfriend booked a cruise with MSC and somehow was doublecharged for it.  Despite numerous calls to MSC she still has 2 charges for the same cruise (1 booking #).  Her credit card company first credited her with 1 charge and then billed her again, leaving her with 2 charges.  Found an email form for MSC Naples hoping to get some help on this.  Also tried emailing msc existing trip email several times...Didn't get anywhere with them either.  Any other suggestions for her?

Why did the cc company remove and then replace the second charge?  That’s a terrible situation. 

35 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Why did the cc company remove and then replace the second charge?  That’s a terrible situation. 

CC company probably had 2 pending charges. They put 1 through as it appeared to be duplicate charge. MSC would have authorized charge #2.

You need to submit dispute for second charge online with your credit card company.  Mine have a place on website when looking at account for Dispute a Charge.  Comments box for explanation of dispute. 

CC company will submit credit to you while they investigate the charge. 

• Like 1

I will tel

1 hour ago, phissy said:

CC company probably had 2 pending charges. They put 1 through as it appeared to be duplicate charge. MSC would have authorized charge #2.

You need to submit dispute for second charge online with your credit card company.  Mine have a place on website when looking at account for Dispute a Charge.  Comments box for explanation of dispute. 

CC company will submit credit to you while they investigate the charge. 

I will tell my friend about this...However, that being said, I'm afraid if the cc company disputes a charge MSC could cancel her cruise.

On 10/18/2022 at 11:35 AM, styles27 said:

She told me her husband just grabbed it and didn’t even notice the bright green belt that was wrapped around the middle. 🙄

Totally believable - my husband is color blind and he would never notice a lime green belt on a suitcase. This is especially true depending on the color of the suitcase:

Brown suitcase, green belt: all brown

Red Suitcase, green belt: shades of red

Black or gray suitcase, green belt: belt is gray and blends in

Green suitcase, green belt: That's green?

Get a bright true yellow (no red or blue tones) belt. That is a color that can be seen by color blind people.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Totally believable - my husband is color blind and he would never notice a lime green belt on a suitcase. This is especially true depending on the color of the suitcase:

Get a bright true yellow (no red or blue tones) belt. That is a color that can be seen by color blind people.

Good idea, but no help if the other person also has a bright true yellow belt on their luggage because they're color blind and that;s the only color they can distinguish...😲

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Av8tor said:

Good idea, but no help if the other person also has a bright true yellow belt on their luggage because they're color blind and that;s the only color they can distinguish...😲

I take it that you have no experience living with a color blind person.

The yellow  helps in distinguishing what color the suitcase might be because now the brain will perceive the suitcase color however it is differentiated and will not be misinterpreting the yellow.

57 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

I take it that you have no experience living with a color blind person.

The yellow  helps in distinguishing what color the suitcase might be because now the brain will perceive the suitcase color however it is differentiated and will not be misinterpreting the yellow.

You are correct about not having that experience - thanks for explaining it better

22 hours ago, Homosassa said:

That’s interesting and helpful! 

But in our situation her husband was clueless because when she opened her trunk to get my suitcase she said “we don’t have one of those belts on our suitcase so I’m not sure why he took it”  

I always double check which suitcase we have by looking at the name tags because I realize the very straps we have are sold on Amazon and anyone could have them although I’ve yet to see any other than ours. 

This is the one we have 

B9AAB00C-BC08-4FA1-A569-1E358A239B92.thumb.jpeg.2734332a535b0386ca9e347f3586a3ef.jpeg

Edited by styles27
Add photo